Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Bike Prices Are Insane (Bike Economics)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike Prices Are Insane (Bike Economics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 09:36 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Actually, one of the nice things about getting older is realizing that the bike is NOT holding me back. At this point, a super-light racing bike would look kind of silly under my fifty-something (cough!!) self.

LOL I know the feeling just a bit younger
Old 04-04-18, 10:03 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm personally always amazed how little people think bikes should cost. Bikes are full of complicated machining and construction techniques that require lots of hand work. To make a bike strong, light and reliable involves lots of expensive materials and thoughtful engineering. High quality bikes also are produced in small quantities and don't benefit from economies of scale.

And yet, I see a lot of threads with new cyclists here asking about sub $500 bikes for serious riding. Your average hybrid buyer at the bike store balks at anything over $400. A lot of these same people will gladly spend the same amount on a single golf driver or a multiple of that amount on a rarely used, mass produced kitchen appliance. I think this stems from people grow up riding $150 POS department store BMX bikes that last one year. That becomes their benchmark.

I'm not saying $15K for a bike is in any way required or practical. At that price, you're getting into esoteric/conspicuous consumption fetish properties sold to rabid enthusiasts. However, something like $2,500 on a bike you plan to ride thousands of miles a year seems completely reasonable to me. After all, lots of people spend that on gym memberships they never use every year.
Old 04-04-18, 10:12 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The simple fact is that bike mfg have brain washed people into thinking that a plastic bike is worth $15,000. Yes this is nuts.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
To someone competing at a top level of the sport, it very well could be worth it. Likewise, to someone on $300k a year, it is a rather insignificant sum of money to spend. I gave up long ago trying to put my valuation of something in someone else's situation.

I see people running around on all sorts of expensive bikes, but the amount I see over $5k is really minimal. We are acting as if every third person has one of these. Heck, I've only ever seen one in person, and AFAIK, it is still sitting in the same shop display it has been sitting in for the past year.
Old 04-04-18, 10:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Actually, one of the nice things about getting older is realizing that the bike is NOT holding me back. At this point, a super-light racing bike would look kind of silly under my fifty-something (cough!!) self.
Never. It will make you look 25 again.
Old 04-04-18, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm personally always amazed how little people think bikes should cost. Bikes are full of complicated machining and construction techniques that require lots of hand work. To make a bike strong, light and reliable involves lots of expensive materials and thoughtful engineering. High quality bikes also are produced in small quantities and don't benefit from economies of scale.

And yet, I see a lot of threads with new cyclists here asking about sub $500 bikes for serious riding. Your average hybrid buyer at the bike store balks at anything over $400. A lot of these same people will gladly spend the same amount on a single golf driver or a multiple of that amount on a rarely used, mass produced kitchen appliance. I think this stems from people grow up riding $150 POS department store BMX bikes that last one year. That becomes their benchmark.

I'm not saying $15K for a bike is in any way required or practical. At that price, you're getting into esoteric/conspicuous consumption fetish properties sold to rabid enthusiasts. However, something like $2,500 on a bike you plan to ride thousands of miles a year seems completely reasonable to me. After all, lots of people spend that on gym memberships they never use every year.
Well said!

Yes a 15k bike can seem silly but if it is something you love then go for it. I would rather put 15k into something I really love and will enjoy then spend it on something I don't really care about. However mainly I want the 15k+ bikes to exist so that the bikes underneath eventually get better and better. I want technology to be pushed further and further and it won't really be pushed in the low price points.

People have different priorities on things. They will spend lots of money on certain things but balk at more practical things. People will spend a lot of money on something that doesn't actually get better when you spend more money but on something that does get better they say no. Some people spend 300+ on jeans that are already ripped and destroyed or have a fancier logo on the ass cheek but that cheap 500-600 hybrid is way too much. I have had young people like that and it blew me away.
Old 04-04-18, 11:08 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
If money were no object and I really was able to spend $15k or even $10k on a bike, I would probably go the full custom route. So I guess on this point, I agree with OP. It is crazy to spend that kind of money on an off the shelf product.
Old 04-04-18, 11:31 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
To be fair, any bike can be destroyed by its first crash.

I'd hazard a guess that there are 7KG bikes that are as tough as bikes that are twice the weight.

Also, old steel bikes are often stolen and damaged too, especially if they are kept in good condition.
I personally don't think steel or aluminium bikes are as vulnerable to being destroyed as a carbon frame bike because they simply aren't as brittle. Carbon just can't take much impact force at all by the nature of its material. It's not springy its crunchy

I certainly don't think a 7kg carbon bike is as strong as bikes twice their weight. Maybe I'm wrong but that just doesn't feel true at all to me especially as a 14kg road bike would likely be an overly strong design to say the least.

I don't think an old steel bike is as appealing to a thief compared to a new bike but even if they did steal it I don't think you would care as much if the steel bike had a lowish value anyway.

We will definitely have to agree to disagree on those points.
Old 04-04-18, 11:50 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Ok, this is going off topic a bit and I don't want to be preachy on anyone but here goes:

Yes, wife and I both have a car. i have a older truck and wife has a newer SUV.

Yes, we have one years salary in the bank. Didn't happen overnight but we have that security in case one of us looses a job or whatever. Took time and going without things but we have that and some in the "sock drawer"

Yes, we can afford furniture but how much is a person needing or buying? It last a long time, yes can be a large investment but you don't buy it all at once

Remodeling vs. upkeep is a big difference, and yes we have a budget for this too.

Medical can be a wild card, you got me here. We are fortunate enough to have good insurance, some people don't have this luxury. Let me tell you about medical bills, my son who is now 7 and thank god healthy had 4 major surgery before he was 5, he had birth defects, kidney and bladder issues. Man it was spendy for all the medical care but yes we could pay for it because we had the savings.

I am not going to preach to anyone here about money, however this financial lifestyle is available to anyone. Requires discipline and not always getting what one wants. Life sucks sometimes....I wish I had a 10K bike, who doesn't what that "super bike".

My point is people don't do a great job with finance like they should and relay way too much on financing things.

Is there ever a need for a 10K bike, good lord no but how sweet it would be!
This^^ We've come to expect nothing to be out of reach of average people. ANYONE can afford ANYTHING now because someone will loan you the money...with interest of course. Many are living paycheck to paycheck. Oh they drive nice cars and have nice homes and all the toys that go along with it...but they are just a few paychecks away from losing it all. And since anything is available and someone will loan the money, we no longer need to exercise the discipline of saving until we can afford something, and thus we oftentimes dig financial holes we have a hard time extricating ourselves from. Yes, you can pay cash for a car. But you may need to consider good used cars and then drive them for 10 years, all the while putting back a little for the next car. People can't put back something for the future because they are strapped with too much debt today, and end up working for just to pay payments on debt.
But yes, this is off topic.
But agree with above, believe it or not used to be people lived within their means and bought "luxuries" when they could actually afford them. Today, to even suggest it is apparently absurd to the average person in our society.

And this is a point. Probably not 1 in 1000 cyclists could wring out of a 15K bike the performance it may be capable of. Dependent on who you are, you simply reach a threshold of what you realistically "need" and can use and beyond that is "fluff". Not judging, just reality. Me, I don't even look at $4000 bikes. Don't have any interest in them. For me to spend that kind of money would be absurd. I'd be about $3000 above my "useful threshold" of reasonable expense for a bike considering my middle aged and continually aging body and how much time and dedication I can give to it!
That's income that could be put toward my next car or my daughter's college. FWIW I wear $20 jerseys too.
Old 04-04-18, 12:02 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Yes, but without $1000 new bikes, there would never be $100 used bikes on CL

the $100 CL bicycles worth buying, are the ones being sold because they never got ridden.

Person buys bike, Person never rides it, person dies. Family sells bike because it's an old bike.
Old 04-04-18, 12:05 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I guess the questions should be asked:

1. What makes a $15,000 bike cost that much?
2. What will it do that a $1500 bike won't do?
Old 04-04-18, 12:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
This is going to come off in a snobbish tone and I don’t mean for it to be that way but I can not believe anyone finances anything but a home or collage.
I financed by car. 0% for four years. The high school I attended now costs over $50K/year. I'll bet some parents finance tuition. Boats are routinely financed.
Old 04-04-18, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts

I see people running around on all sorts of expensive bikes, but the amount I see over $5k is really minimal. We are acting as if every third person has one of these. Heck, I've only ever seen one in person, and AFAIK, it is still sitting in the same shop display it has been sitting in for the past year.
IKR. The suggestion that anything other than a small minority of cyclists are spending $15K (or anything close to that) on bikes is, quite frankly, inane.
Old 04-04-18, 12:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6954 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
To someone competing at a top level of the sport, it very well could be worth it. Likewise, to someone on $300k a year, it is a rather insignificant sum of money to spend. I gave up long ago trying to put my valuation of something in someone else's situation.

And those few bikes are usually (in my experience) ridden by relatively weak riders. Back when I was racing, I dropped plenty of them...On my steel-frame with nine-speed 105 components.
Old 04-04-18, 12:27 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
This^^ We've come to expect nothing to be out of reach of average people. ANYONE can afford ANYTHING now because someone will loan you the money...with interest of course. Many are living paycheck to paycheck. Oh they drive nice cars and have nice homes and all the toys that go along with it...but they are just a few paychecks away from losing it all. And since anything is available and someone will loan the money, we no longer need to exercise the discipline of saving until we can afford something, and thus we oftentimes dig financial holes we have a hard time extricating ourselves from. Yes, you can pay cash for a car. But you may need to consider good used cars and then drive them for 10 years, all the while putting back a little for the next car. People can't put back something for the future because they are strapped with too much debt today, and end up working for just to pay payments on debt.
But yes, this is off topic.
But agree with above, believe it or not used to be people lived within their means and bought "luxuries" when they could actually afford them. Today, to even suggest it is apparently absurd to the average person in our society.
It may be slightly off topic, but the above discussion is, to me, (and apparently a few others here) much more interesting than the $15,000 bike issue.

For my wife and I, it's not about what we can afford, even with "saved" cash. (and of course investments) It's more about financial security, both now and when we (soon) retire. This security is much more important to us than anything we could buy now.

My point is we don't "save up" to buy something. We save as much as we can, and buy stuff when we decide we need or want it. Year over year total savings continues to increase, which ironically, makes it easier to buy any fancy stuff if and when it's wanted.

I find living without a budget to be very comfortable. And it's certainly not about how much we make. Plenty of people who make way more than us are maxed out, and fretting their finances everyday.

I think a lot of it truly comes down to not wanting too much, and being happy with what one has.
Old 04-04-18, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Taiwan is the home of many of the manufacturers that supply the brands you are familiar with..

It is not the same nation as Peoples Republic of China ...

not all cars are Ferraris either,
so lower your gaze from the unattainable, towards something more realistic for your actual needs..

Old 04-04-18, 12:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
But I understand people get trapped in the debt hole, and it's difficult for them to climb out. But where there's a will, there's a way.

One of my favorite Mr. Money Mustache articles:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012...-an-emergency/
Old 04-04-18, 01:05 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Bikes offer a lot of value these days.
Sure, a $15K bike is spendy, but cars ($500K for a Ford GT)
& motorcycles ($184K for a Honda RC213V-S) can be too.
This. The OP's mistake was comparing a top of the line bike to a bottom of the line car/motorcycle. $15k car is roughly the equivalent of a $200 bike. It doesn't have any of the crazy engineering that a $500,000 car has, just like the cheap bike doesn't have the crazy engineering of a $15,000 bike. At the top end for any of these products, the cost goes up significantly for very little marginal gain.

That being said, there's really no reason, other than personal pleasure, for someone (other than a pro) to spend more than $3k or so on a bike. Even that is probably overkill for most of us. The difference between a department store bike and a $2000 bike is far, far greater than the difference between a $2k bike and a > $10k bike.
Old 04-04-18, 01:08 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I think that, technically, anyone who carries a balance on a credit card is financing everything they buy with it--and usually at less-than-friendly rates. It cracks me up to think of all those people who use their plastic at fast-food joints--they're paying interest on their meal before they can even get it unwrapped.

Back on topic, though, what people are willing to pay for non-essentials is a study in illogic.
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I put all my daily expenditures on a credit card. Free 1.5% cash back. Pay every statement off in full. Haven't spent a dime on credit card interest yet.
Off topic but yeah. If you pay your bill on time, you're not getting charged any interest. Why not use the convenient way and get cash back (or points or whatever)?
Old 04-04-18, 01:17 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I guess the questions should be asked:

1. What makes a $15,000 bike cost that much?
2. What will it do that a $1500 bike won't do?
1. The willingness to pay
2. The envy of people you never liked

Old 04-04-18, 01:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Keep in mind that $1 today is equivalent to $3.21 in 1980 buying power. Inflation has a lot to do with it, plus the need to make a profit on low volume sales. Not excusing the pricing of the top end machines, but a $1000 bucks back in 1980 becomes a $3000 bike today. Just the way it is. Been selling bikes since 82 and yes, there are a lot of fools with money than brains. The market will bear the price. So be it.
I'm not sure I trust the published inflation rates. I think the doubling rate is closer to about every 10 years, so 40 years could be as high as 2^4 or 16x. Nothing is quite uniform. But, our old AMC Hornet was about $3500 in 1976. Maybe not that car, but most average cars are nearly 10x that, or about $35K now.

I've always bought used bikes. And, back in the 70's and 80's, about $300 would buy a person a nice used bike, which I presume was around $1000 or $1500 new. So, 10x that comes to $10K to $15K.

The odd thing is that used prices have hardly shifted. Lots of good used bikes in the < $300 range, and perhaps the quality I was getting for around $300 back then would be equivalent to a $600 used bike now.

I think I spent about $600 for my Apple IIe. And, now one can find quite a few new computers for almost that same price.
Old 04-04-18, 03:11 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
A simple matter of scale. To run a business like this there are certain fixed costs and those costs have to be amortized over the number of units sold. Most bikes are made in fairly small quantities so the overhead costs applied to each one is much greater than with a mass market car.

Then there is the volume manufacturing advantage. Car companies spend hundreds of millions to set up an assembly line so they can crank out thousands of cars a month. That is only possible because they can sell enough to make the investment worthwhile and that equipment can be reprogrammed over and over and so can be amortized over decades.

Any product made in small volume will look ridiculously expensive when you compare it to something like an automobile. If you could see the financials of most bike companies, I suspect you'd see their net profits are on par with other manufacturing companies of a similar size.

And there are much lower cost bikes out there. Of course there are $15k bikes but that isn't what the majority of cyclists are riding. $1-2k is probably more representative of an average sale and if you consider inflation, it's probably not a lot different than the $200.00 Schwinn from 1970.
Old 04-04-18, 04:31 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
A lot of good discussion here guys, thanks for that...

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No. Nobody needs any of that expensove stuff, but it exists because there is a market for it. Not only is there a market for luxury lifestyle items, but its a growing market. Clearly there is demand.

I learned long ago that other people's money should be spent by them and not me. Shaming people for what they spend their money on is extremely tacky. I dont understand some people's hobbies, but they dont understand mine.

Nobody needs a $15000 bicycle.
But that isnt why bicycles cost $15000. Nobody needs most of what they buy, yet they continue to buy for a host of reasons.
Yeah, first off, nobody is shaming anyone for how they spend their money. This wasn't intended to be a discussion about who buys these bikes, or why, but just about their intrinsic value. And this isn't about envy, either. Believe me.

And yes, you and several other people bring up the important point that a item is often worth what the market will bear. Somebody out there is buying these bikes, so their market value can't be too far off. But, again, that's not really what I wanted to discuss.

Yes, the luxury sector is growing, and there are a lot of people out there with ridiculous sums of money, but that is a separate discussion for another time (and if you want to start a separate thread about it, I'll gladly contribute).

You are comparing a top of the line bike to a mid level motorcycle and a basic econo car. You know Ducati Superleggeras clock in around $90k right? Cars? Lets not even talk about the amount of $200k+ supercars running around the average city. In that direction, if you want to compare bikes to the prices you are citing, you are looking around $1500 for a bike comparable in level to that $15k motorcycle, and $400 for a bike comparable to that car.

Also lets consider most folks on a $15k bike actually have a use for it: racing. I know more than a few folks whose weekends are spent at the track with motorized vehicles. $15k doesn't get you a whole lot in that world, certainly not much beyond a basic setup in most racing series, even in cost controlled things like Autocross or Chump Car.
Ok, I see a lot of people bringing up $250K supercars and $90 bikes, but that's not a compelling counterargument. Even if those prices seem greater than the sum of the parts, look at what is involved there. Look at the sheer volume of expensive materials, of design and test time, of intricate assembly time.

But let's keep the comparisons in perspective. I'm sorry, but you are flat out wrong about what a $15k motorcycle looks like. For right around that figure, you are looking at a Panigale 959, which is a fantastic bike. It isn't the very top of the range, but it isn't far off (and it will destroy any supercar on the road, but that's besides the point). It's a bike with leading edge technology, components and engineering, and it is made in Italy, by Italian assembly line workers. Spending $13k (yes, less than the bicycle price) will net you an R6 (or any of the Japanese 600's), which is also an excellent machine.

You want to race a motorcycle and be competitive? Spend half that much, put a little money into some choice parts and tires... and you can easily win in your bike category if you have the talent. Cars are a little different, but they have various classes for a reason. Point is, you really can't argue that $$ is fundamental to success in the lower levels. Just like with bicycles, talent/ability matters most. But this is wandering off topic.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm personally always amazed how little people think bikes should cost. Bikes are full of complicated machining and construction techniques that require lots of hand work. To make a bike strong, light and reliable involves lots of expensive materials and thoughtful engineering. High quality bikes also are produced in small quantities and don't benefit from economies of scale
Ok, this is closer to my original point, talking more about the intrinsic value of these bikes. And this is where I'm really struggling to see it. Even for a $5k bike (or below), I'm still having a hard time believing it is there.

Do you know how much thought and time goes into engineering an internal combustion engine? Heavy vehicle suspension? Do you know what it takes to machine the parts for a motorcylce engine that will to 12k or 15k rpm?

And we are talking about TREK here, one of the biggest bike producers out there. I can understand the Tommasinis, Bassos, Colnagos... of the modern world that need to mark things up a little more to compensate for their low volume and manufacturing methods, but Trek? And, again, we are going well below the $15k bike (because you can also buy a decent motorcycle for around the $7K mark).

This is what keeps running through my head: What do these bikes consist of? A frame, which is non-mechanical and non "complicated," even if the materials and processes used are quite advanced? A fork, which is the same as above? Integrated headset or whatnot, again not overly complicated, with a few simple bearings? Seatpost? Same thing once again.

Then you have the components for a fully built bike. Bottom bracket? Again, more simple bearings. Cranks and rings? See above for non-mechanical. A chain? Some cogs? Hubs? More simple bearings. Derailleurs? Ok, SLIGHTLY more complicated, but still. Ditto shift levers. Brakes? Simple. Electronic shift systems? Ok, a little more involved here, but nothing as complicated as an ABS braking system, or traction control.

I can go on, but I think you catch my drift. Now, I realize that on a good bike all of these things will be produced to a very high standard. But, again, these are simple parts. And do you think that the components of an engine, any engine (forget your 12K rpm motorcycle engine putting out 150hp per liter, consider an econo car engine), don't need to be produced to meticulous standards in order to ensure reliability, longevity and performance (also in regard to emissions control)?

So I am giving bicycles the benefit of the doubt. Smaller production runs, higher quality raw materials (dubious), higher overall manufacturing standards (dubious)... and I'm still not seeing how it adds up. Forget $15K or $10K. I'm not seeing how any bicycle is hitting the likes of 4 or 5 thousand dollars. (Funnily enough, this thread was originally started with the same idea regarding Trek's electric powered mountain bikes that cost around $5K, with the suggestion that it was crazy that they approached motorcycle and scooter prices, but then I saw the old fashion human powered road bikes...)

This^^ We've come to expect nothing to be out of reach of average people. ANYONE can afford ANYTHING now because someone will loan you the money...with interest of course. Many are living paycheck to paycheck. Oh they drive nice cars and have nice homes and all the toys that go along with it...but they are just a few paychecks away from losing it all.

Again, starting to venture off topic, but I agree completely. Our society has created this idea that everyone is special, everyone is a star, and everyone deserves everything. Eventually it will catch up to us, but, again, that's another topic entirely.

Last edited by robertorolfo; 04-04-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 05:19 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ok, I see a lot of people bringing up $250K supercars and $90 bikes, but that's not a compelling counterargument. Even if those prices seem greater than the sum of the parts, look at what is involved there. Look at the sheer volume of expensive materials, of design and test time, of intricate assembly time.

But let's keep the comparisons in perspective. I'm sorry, but you are flat out wrong about what a $15k motorcycle looks like. For right around that figure, you are looking at a Panigale 959, which is a fantastic bike. It isn't the very top of the range, but it isn't far off (and it will destroy any supercar on the road, but that's besides the point). It's a bike with leading edge technology, components and engineering, and it is made in Italy, by Italian assembly line workers. Spending $13k (yes, less than the bicycle price) will net you an R6 (or any of the Japanese 600's), which is also an excellent machine.

You want to race a motorcycle and be competitive? Spend half that much, put a little money into some choice parts and tires... and you can easily win in your bike category if you have the talent. Cars are a little different, but they have various classes for a reason. Point is, you really can't argue that $$ is fundamental to success in the lower levels. Just like with bicycles, talent/ability matters most. But this is wandering off topic.
Do you know how much thought and time goes into engineering an internal combustion engine? Heavy vehicle suspension? Do you know what it takes to machine the parts for a motorcylce engine that will to 12k or 15k rpm?

And we are talking about TREK here, one of the biggest bike producers out there. I can understand the Tommasinis, Bassos, Colnagos... of the modern world that need to mark things up a little more to compensate for their low volume and manufacturing methods, but Trek? And, again, we are going well below the $15k bike (because you can also buy a decent motorcycle for around the $7K mark).
How is it off perspective to compare like to like? How much does an F1 team invest in massaging CF parts in a wind tunnel? Do you honestly think Trek just has some interns sitting around coming up with their ideas? Is it that incomprehensible to you that maybe the "simple" parts arent as simple as you believe? Any racer in the motorsports world should know how much it costs to make something lighter, heck guys at my work fight over who gets the limited carbon fiber helmets that work wont buy cause they're four times the cost of the same thing in plastic that weighs a couple ounces more. Anyone who has been in racing should understand how expensive aero testing and massaging CF parts to the exact right point is.

You know no one is going out in World Superbike and riding a stock Panigale, right? That if Ducati offered a commercial version of their race bike, it'd cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? I mean, its a couple years old (https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/10/why-these-motogp-bikes-cost-2-million/31376337/), but why do top end race mototcycles cost $2 MILLION dollars? Why can't they just race on that Panigale? Sure, I can probably race a local track and win my class on a $7k bike, but that is a far cry off competing at the top levels of TdF, which that $15k bike is designed for. Heck, KTM occasionally offers factory versions of their Dakar bikes, and you're looking close to $50k. That is for a pretty technologically dumb motorcycle, and something else I'm sure goes to a healthy mix of top level competors and rich folk.

As far as the motorcycle world, you know what $15k doesn't get you new? A 1200GS BMW. Any Harley not from the Sportster lineup. Heck, just expand that to be most American bikes. Yamaha R1 and Honda CBR1000RR also are a nogo. I mean why do any of those cost near that, when I can buy brand new Enfields for $4-5k all day long?

In any case, we still get back to you picking literally the most expensive bike you could find, and pretending it is somehow average, and comparing it to stock offerings. Until you can at least admit that is what you are doing, there is really no point in continuing a conversation. A $15k bicycle is exactly akin to a $90k motorcycle or a six figure sports car, including the Ford GT, made by folks that will cancel a program over a few cent price increase. BTDT, yes I know the intricies of auto manufacturing, why cant the massive conglomerate Ford build a supercar less than $400k when they have F150s to prop up the budget? Oh thats right, programs are budgeted on their profitability, not the company as a whole.
Old 04-04-18, 05:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Did the OP google at all? 99.999999999999999% of bikes cost less than the one picked to make a moot argument. Like me saying "how come people chose canooing as a hobby because an aircraft carrier cost $6 billion"
Old 04-04-18, 05:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Did the OP google at all? 99.999999999999999% of bikes cost less than the one picked to make a moot argument. Like me saying "how come people chose canooing as a hobby because an aircraft carrier cost $6 billion"
Birch Bark Canoes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.