Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What has been the biggest cleaning mistakes you have made with your bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What has been the biggest cleaning mistakes you have made with your bike?

Old 09-29-18, 05:04 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It was about the Michelin tires that matched my Ksyrium wheelset. Since Ksyrium wheels were a light color aluminum, I decided the light shade of grey tires would be a nice match.

Those tires get dirty a bit faster as far as appearance. So I tried to clean the Michelins with the same spray-on that I used for my car tires. This resulted in the disintegration of the grey color on the Michelins.
Old 09-29-18, 12:31 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts

I clean my bikes when they need it and the other day I buffed off the monogram off one of the brake callipers. I am still bummed.
Old 09-29-18, 12:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Someone mentioned using pledge. Unless the bike is really dirty, I usually just go over the frame with a rag and Lemon Pledge. Gives a little bit of protection plus it smells lemony
You gotta be careful; the orange scented stuff draws bees from miles around.

-Kedosto
Old 09-30-18, 11:49 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I just hammer it through huge puddles and it cleans itself.
Old 10-01-18, 05:12 AM
backonblack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biggest mistake was over washing and washing off all my paint

Seriously is there mistakes, you like a clean bike go for it. I can offer a tip or two, avoid overly aggressive soaps like dish detergents, buy a quality auto soap (I substitute it with hair shampoo in a pinch). 2 wax the non porous paint finishes, dirt washes off easier next time around and it keeps fine scratches down to a minimum. Armor all does that too. I even armor all rims then if the chain flicks any oil its easier to clean off with a wipe later.
Old 10-01-18, 06:08 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Quick wipe down as needed after a ride seems to work fine for me. I try not to over think it.
Old 10-01-18, 07:55 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you turn the set screw on the hyperbolic recirculating veeblefetzer, you can lessen the intensity of the lowest setting of the RS death ray just enough to make it a good bike sanitation device. It's a bit finicky though, I set it slightly wrong the first time and it cost me one tire and a cat.
You guys are using amusing pseudo tech babble and as an engineer I like doing this to my non-engineering friends. You mention a recirculating veeblefester, and they look at you like a dog does when its confused, twisting their heads. "That's not a real thing, right". "As far as you know, it is". But the most masterful use of tech psuedobabble is from a British engineer, John Hellins Quick, in 1944. You can find the article online (I did, but can't find it now). But there's been a couple of videos made. Here's one:

The publication is pretty famous. See https://www.computerworld.com/articl...cabulator.html

Old 10-01-18, 10:57 AM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Its not cheap but someone will buy it"

why bother to wipe your only gona' have to go again later
Old 10-01-18, 11:29 AM
pickle57

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water pressure

You need to get the bike wet to clean properly. I use on of those rain shower wands that are used for watering fragile plants. The water almost just falls out. Less pressure than the hose pressure. Wet / bike friendly spray on bike soap / wipe around with a paper towel and then rinse again.

Big mistake - letting lubrication get on your braking surfaces. Bad times when you need to stop.

The big thing is the chain. It's one thing to clean your bike and make it pretty. Cleaning the chain is something that I see a noticeable performance improvement from. You should get one of those chain cleaning devices (about $20), run it through until the chain is shiny. Then rinse and run it through a cloth to dry. Then use chain lube per bottle instructions and wipe / wipe / wipe. The perfect chain would have no lube on the actual visible surfaces. It's only doing it's job inside the link joints. Lube on the outside of the chain only helps attract and accumulate road dust / dirt, etc. Besides making the chain less effective, it also becomes and abrasive that can age your cassette / chain rings more than normal.
Old 10-01-18, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You guys are using amusing pseudo tech babble and as an engineer I like doing this to my non-engineering friends. You mention a recirculating veeblefester, and they look at you like a dog does when its confused, twisting their heads. "That's not a real thing, right". "As far as you know, it is". But the most masterful use of tech psuedobabble is from a British engineer, John Hellins Quick, in 1944. You can find the article online (I did, but can't find it now). But there's been a couple of videos made. Here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

The publication is pretty famous. See https://www.computerworld.com/articl...cabulator.html

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube of people presenting the "product" in various eras. I spent a couple hours watching as many as I could find once, it was pretty fascinating watching the different deliveries and demonstrations.

I'm a huge fan of "The Missile Knows:
Old 10-01-18, 12:44 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This wasn't even all that true 30 years ago and it's even less true today. Modern hubs are quite well sealed. The guys at GCN did a several minute test of direct spray at the bearings and saw little to now water infiltration.
To a degree this is true. But only true on more expensive components. Some of the cheap ones aren't sealed very well and the bikes that still use cup and cone bearings vs. sealed cartridge bearings don't stand up well to direct spray.
Old 10-01-18, 12:46 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Cleaning is a fundamental part of maintenance-- it's when you notice a frayed cable, or a loose headset, or any number of other things.
Uhhhh...you don't have a to clean your bike to notice these things.
Old 10-01-18, 12:51 PM
prj71

On a more serious note...if you are going to wash your bike a few times a week...That's some serious OCD right there.

I'd post a pic of my hardtail but it's really dirty and I haven't washed it in 3 months. I don't want to be the source of a cardiac arrest for anyone here on this forum.

When I finally do wash the bike...I'll fill a pale with some hot water and dawn dish soap. Then I'll dip a big ol' rag in there and wipe all the dirt off.
Old 10-01-18, 01:59 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the air compressor to blow off debris a couple times a week, wipe it down a couple times a month. The air compressor gets the sand and stuff that collects in the hard to wipe places.
Old 10-01-18, 04:14 PM
Oldbikeride

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topshopper19
Hello,

Need some info on what to avoid.

I want to clean my bicycle regularly (maybe a couple of times per week), but i want to learn from the mistakes of other people.

What are some of the biggest mistakes you have made when cleaning your bike? Maybe as a result it caused breakage or damage to the mechanisms?

Thanks
The biggest mistake I've made is not cleaning my bike on a regular basis.
I recommend waxing it right out of the box. Never use a high pressure spray on it! Wax it at least twice a year. Lightly oil after washing.
Old 10-01-18, 05:18 PM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
On a more serious note...if you are going to wash your bike a few times a week...That's some serious OCD right there.

Then again not really. I'd ride almost daily in an area that had a natural clay type of medium for miles. When it was wet it would get on the bikes and leave behind a puky greenish residue that got harder and harder to wash off the longer you allowed it to set. Even direct power washer beaming a couple inches away wouldn't remove it all, after leaving it to set about a week the first time.

Bikes get muddy, its almost like a ritual to meet and power wash them off and drink a beer after riding dirty.
Old 10-01-18, 05:25 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It's about me

I like having a clean bike but I do not clean the entire bike thoroughly that often. Most of the time it is wiping the chain, chainrings and cassette, rims and the areas where dirt and grime like to hide. Then I lightly wipe down other areas when they look like they need it. Also lubricate the drive train often and other parts/areas less often. I feel more tuned in with my bike when I have done what I feel is needed. As for what to use and when and where to use it, it somewhat depends on the material used to make it. It's your bike, it's up to you. Mistakes are made by all and they are the real teachers.
Old 10-01-18, 06:10 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by topshopper19
Hello,

Need some info on what to avoid.

I want to clean my bicycle regularly (maybe a couple of times per week), but i want to learn from the mistakes of other people.

What are some of the biggest mistakes you have made when cleaning your bike? Maybe as a result it caused breakage or damage to the mechanisms?

Thanks
No breakage or damage but the biggest mistake I did was using a de-greasing wipes on my rims. Sure, they got cleaned but braking for the first few kilometers were very problematic. The smallest pressure on the rim (obviously rim brakes) would make the pads squeal and jump. Couldn't modulate my braking. I had to ride with the brakes very slightly touching the rims to fix it.
Old 10-02-18, 07:10 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Oldbikeride
The biggest mistake I've made is not cleaning my bike on a regular basis.
I recommend waxing it right out of the box. Never use a high pressure spray on it! Wax it at least twice a year. Lightly oil after washing.
Waxing your bike? !!
Old 10-02-18, 08:13 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Love it! I can picture the late Leslie Nielson doing something like that.
Old 10-02-18, 08:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Waxing your bike? !!

Don't try to give your bike a Brazilian wax. Trust me on that one.
Old 10-02-18, 08:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
To a degree this is true. But only true on more expensive components. Some of the cheap ones aren't sealed very well and the bikes that still use cup and cone bearings vs. sealed cartridge bearings don't stand up well to direct spray.
I can't tell you the number of times I've been told on this forum that sealed cartridge bearings aren't "sealed". Tons of people have tried to tell me that the seals on the bearings are just dust seals...and poor ones at that. According to them, the water should just shoot through the hub and come out the other side.

On the other hand, I did add the caveat that modern hubs are well sealed. Even cheap modern hubs. You would have to go way down into the cheapest of the HelMart bikes to find the kind of hubs you are talking about and, even then, the grease will stand up to a momentary blast of water from a handwand. Not minutes, to be sure, and the further away you hold the wand the better.

That's kind of what I thought. Cleaning a bike twice a week is just fiddling with the bike too much and wiping it down after every ride is sanitizing it for no apparent reason.

I'd post a pic of my hardtail but it's really dirty and I haven't washed it in 3 months. I don't want to be the source of a cardiac arrest for anyone here on this forum.

When I finally do wash the bike...I'll fill a pale with some hot water and dawn dish soap. Then I'll dip a big ol' rag in there and wipe all the dirt off.
I'm not afraid.

IMG_1248 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

A dirty bike is a happy bike!

With the caveat that my drivetrains aren't oily messy drivetrains and that I do more cleaning in winter to remove salt than in summer. Salt is corrosive and does damage. Good ol' dirt doesn't.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-02-18, 10:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I only ride on paved roads so my bikes don't really get dirty. However, at the end of the ride I almost always wipe my bike down with a micro-fiber, a beer in one hand(for drinking) and the tunes cranked (in the garage).

Biggest mistake?.....putting Amour-all on the sidewalls and seat. Looks pretty but going around corners can get a little squirely and hitting the front brake hard can get the boys jammed. As a matter of fact I still do the Amour-all....on my Cruiser
Old 10-02-18, 11:24 AM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I only ride on paved roads so my bikes don't really get dirty. However, at the end of the ride I almost always wipe my bike down with a micro-fiber, a beer in one hand(for drinking) and the tunes cranked (in the garage).
If you're wiping down your dusty bike with a dry cloth, you're doing much more harm to the finish than good. Have at it, but you should never wipe a dry surface with a dry cloth, if your aim is other than to cause micro-abrasions.
Old 10-02-18, 12:53 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You think pilots walk around their planes before they take off because they're bored? Cleaning is a fundamental part of maintenance-- it's when you notice a frayed cable, or a loose headset, or any number of other things.

Don't assume that your successful inaction negates the actions of those who actually care about their stuff.

The implication here is, if you don't clean it, you probably don't maintain it very well either. I cannot generate the energy to care about your approach to bicycle touring. It just sounds lazy. Whatever... man.

Many times on this forum I detect the subtext of one who is deliberately contrarian, purely for the sake of being contrarian. Most times I can resist taking the bait. But not every time. Shame on me for that.
+1
I couldn't agree more. I have been fortunate enough have been employed in aviation for 30+ years. I have applied the same standard to my bikes.

I have my bike work stand and my Harbor Freight work stool. I put on a proper work apron and clean my bike after every single ride. I look were I clean and I have found burrs on the chain ring, when it was getting worn, loose spokes, tell tale signs that the head tube bearings needed to be serviced, disc brake contamination, on and on, I have found numerous common issues as I use my older micro fiber towels and Maguires Final Touch detailing spray. I only spray the towel, not the bike. I get up and close to inspect and maintain my bike to highest level possible. I ride hard and average around 140 miles a week during the summer. I even use a bag of thin painters rags (small) to detail the FD and RD and pedals. Put my bike next to one that gets a once a month power wash, and the difference in appearance, reliability, integrity, and just overall functionality/safety doesn't even come close.
I see aircraft that are stored outside in the elements, never waxed and get cleaned when a rain storm passes. Those are the same airplanes that have system failures during flight, corrosion issues, dry rot, sun rot, on and on.
If you want to call that OCD, fine, I call it preventative maintenance and safety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.