Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 10:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
And if the very basic definition makes no differentiation between someone who rides once a year to go get ice cream on half flat tires at the park two blocks away and someone who professionally races and rides 20,000 miles a year, I would also wonder how useful it is.

I don't think they are due any less respect, I just don't think they are what I would classify as a cyclist: someone who is on a bicycle because they care about the sport. Then again, it is hard for me to imagine someone racking up hundreds of miles a week on a bike unless they were somewhat passionate about it.
Now you've gone from reading "someone who rides a bike" to mean "someone actually riding a bike" to reading it as " someone who rarely rides a bike" or "someone who has ever ridden a bike" . None of those is a reasonable reading of the definition.

Caring is irrelevant to the dictionary definition, regular cycling is all that is required. If you look worldwide, I think you'll find literally billions of people who rack up many, many miles riding bikes caring not one little bit about the sport. They are cyclists by necessity.

You'll either need to pick a different word that doesn't have this generalized meaning, or pair it with another word.

BTW, I am passionate about my bicycling, and I can take or leave the sport, so I guess I am not a cyclist either.
Old 11-27-18, 02:13 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I honestly can't believe the infighting of whether someone is classed as "A Cyclist" or not ... I wonder if this may help anyone who's unsure of the meaning

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/cyclist
Old 11-27-18, 05:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I honestly can't believe the infighting of whether someone is classed as "A Cyclist" or not ... I wonder if this may help anyone who's unsure of the meaning

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/cyclist
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I do agree that there probably is a difference between bike riding and cycling, though I think the difference is decided by the one who cares.

For me, the breakpoint is probably pretty high, e.g.,
… a coast to coast tour is at the very least a major “cycling credential.”
…Though I'm interested and post about it, I really don't particularly care.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
…You’re no cyclist
I have previously posted:
(from a now-closed thread) I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine…

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-27-18 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added quote abiut cycling credential
Old 11-27-18, 07:14 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/cyclist
The only possible reason for intelligent people to argue over something as meaningless as this is beyond me. Maybe it's because of winter.

Old 11-27-18, 07:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The only possible reason for intelligent people to argue over something as meaningless as this is beyond me. Maybe it's because of winter.
I'd rather argue about who qualifies to be called a Cyclops.
Old 11-27-18, 08:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
"someone actually riding a bike"
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Anybody who happens to be riding a bike at a given moment, or who intends to do so regularly, is a cyclist.
That was someone else's definition, a few ahead of my original statement.

None of those is a reasonable reading of the definition.

Caring is irrelevant to the dictionary definition, regular cycling is all that is required. If you look worldwide, I think you'll find literally billions of people who rack up many, many miles riding bikes caring not one little bit about the sport. They are cyclists by necessity.
"Cyclist" seems universally defined as "One who rides a bicycle" or the equivalent.
Actually, according to your definition, regular cycling is not required. All that is required is that someone rides a cycle. There is no regularity specified, hence the person who rides a block a year is as much a cyclist as the one who rides 20k a year.
Old 11-27-18, 10:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That was someone else's definition, a few ahead of my original statement.

Actually, according to your definition, regular cycling is not required. All that is required is that someone rides a cycle. There is no regularity specified, hence the person who rides a block a year is as much a cyclist as the one who rides 20k a year.
If you want to stand on your head to invent a ridiculous reading of a simple definition, go right ahead. I can't take you seriously any more. "Someone who rides" indicates a regular pattern or habit to anyone with normal reading comprehension. Your quibble with how frequently that has to be is one you might want to take up with Merriam Webster. In any event, the term is general, and you're trying to make it specific, so even if you're right, you've just proven that the term is even more general than I thought.

Apparently, as I don't wear cleats and don't care much about the sport, I don't have a dog in this fight anyway.

Now, does someone who loses their eye in an accident become a cyclops?
Old 11-27-18, 11:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Regular? Repetitive?

Let's see if I've got this ...

Cyclic cycling is key to becoming a cyclist for a cyclops ... or even a bi-cyclops?
Old 11-27-18, 11:08 AM
jefnvk

If you want to stand on your head to invent a ridiculous reading of a simple definition, go right ahead. I can't take you seriously any more. "Someone who rides" indicates a regular pattern or habit to anyone with normal reading comprehension. Your quibble with how frequently that has to be is one you might want to take up with Merriam Webster. In any event, the term is general, and you're trying to make it specific, so even if you're right, you've just proven that the term is even more general than I thought.
So why can one infer that "someone who rides" must indicate with regularity, when the plain reading does not indicate any regularity? And why is inferring a pattern of regularity any more reasonable than inferring any other qualifier?

And if we are requiring an pattern of regularity, what should that qualifier be? Is it a mileage minimum? A number of times per year minimum?

And to tie this back in to the original question, is there more negative reputation associated with a cyclist who rides one rail trail a year than with a lyrica clad road warrior in a 30-strong group ride blocking traffic, who is also a cyclist?
Old 11-27-18, 11:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
As I understand the language, "Someone who rides" would indeed imply some degree of regular riding, or at least more than one ride in a lifetime--it would be, indeed, a defining attribute, the person is a person who rides. if a person rode to France once in a lifetime, one wouldn't call him "a person who rides to France." (The ocean miles are brutal on components any way--all that salt.)

I have flown in airplanes many, many times ... but no one would ever describe me as "That guy who flies in airplanes."

The phrase "someone who rides" makes {riding" a defining attribute, so yes, regularity or at least a prominent place in one's life, is implied.

So what?

Obviously No word has a fixed meaning. Even all the dictionaries people trot out a "definitive" references have slightly different definitions, and obviously context changes definition.

"One who rides" means something different on horse ranch and at Nevada's famous Bunny Ranch, right?

Really, people are getting a little bit too 'winter on the internet" over this. Naturally we all have our own definitions, and all and none of us are right, depending on the conversation happening at the time (as in, does the other person agree with you?)

Each of the people embroiled in this idiocy, if he or she were reading the same debate over a different term on a different site, the subject matter of which was not interesting ("Is this person a real vegan French chef, or merely a vegan cook who prepares French recipes?") he or she would immediately see it for what it was and point out the idiocy and make some recommendation like ....

Put the keyboard Down. Take two steps back. Tale a few deep breaths. Go to a different thread. Everything will be fine.

it is threads like this which give cyclists a bad reputation.
Old 11-27-18, 11:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Regular? Repetitive?

Let's see if I've got this ...

Cyclic cycling is key to becoming a cyclist for a cyclops ... or even a bi-cyclops?
I think we first have to determine whether forehead centering of the single eye is key to cyclopsiness. Then we can determine whether the acentric cyclops cycles sufficiently to be a certified cyclops cyclist. If he doesn't pedal sufficiently circularly, he is not a cyclops cyclist but just a mashing monster.
I'm surprised that bi-cyclops didn't auto-correct to bicycle cop btw.
Old 11-27-18, 11:54 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
The danger here is that by so privileging the cyclopic gaze one risks occluding the 'other', thus constructing a mono-cyclopic hegemonic paradigm that suppresses bi-cyclopsism.
Old 11-27-18, 12:05 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Going back to the original question asked by the OP - "Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?"

Anybody that wasn't a "cyclist" that read this thread and saw the inane squabbling between a bunch of people ... most of whom would probably classify themselves as cyclists .... in a vain attempt to try and score points and be deemed as more knowledgeable and exact in their answer than other people that have a common interest / hobby ....

If they didn't have a negative impression about cyclists before they started reading the thread they sure as hell would by the time the reached the end!
Old 11-27-18, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by badger1
The danger here is that by so privileging the cyclopic gaze one risks occluding the 'other', thus constructing a mono-cyclopic hegemonic paradigm that suppresses bi-cyclopsism.
All I know is a cyclops punched me when I offered to take him to a 3D movie. I hate them guys.

Your analysis is too post-Foucaultian BTW.
Old 11-27-18, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Going back to the original question asked by the OP - "Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?"

Anybody that wasn't a "cyclist" that read this thread and saw the inane squabbling between a bunch of people ... most of whom would probably classify themselves as cyclists .... in a vain attempt to try and score points and be deemed as more knowledgeable and exact in their answer than other people that have a common interest / hobby ....

If they didn't have a negative impression about cyclists before they started reading the thread they sure as hell would by the time the reached the end!

Without inane squabbling, the internets would be a very desolate place. I don't think cyclists are unusual in this regard.

Obviously, I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but I think what really is going on is that people who care deeply about a subject find it hard to accept that someone else who also cares deeply might see the subject somewhat differently.

When I finally have to check myself, I tend to go in the direction of self-parody.

And yeah, winter sucks.
Old 11-27-18, 12:21 PM
badger1

All I know is a cyclops punched me when I offered to take him to a 3D movie. I hate them guys.

Your analysis is too post-Foucaultian BTW.
Perhaps, but we must also interrogate cyclopsism -- the thing-in-itself -- which is intrinsically unattainable, according to E. Merckx. Several narratives concerning pre-cyclopsism exist. Thus, in Velocipedes Are Us, von Drais affirms pedal-power as the cultural paradigm of expression, whereas in The View From Way Up Here Eugène Meyer reiterates and reifies a post-dialectic cyclisme.

The characteristic theme of the works of both is the positing of a mythopoetical reality, reified in the material structures of the velocipede and high-wheeler respectively. The cultural paradigm of expression holds that narrativity in both cases is used to oppress the Other. In a sense, the British term ‘coming a cropper’ denotes not deconstruction, but neo-deconstruction.

If one examines these cultural paradigms of expression, one is faced with a choice: either reject precapitalist cyclopsism or conclude that reality comes from the masses. Lacan promotes the use of the modernist paradigm of discourse to deconstruct outdated perceptions of cyclists' identity. It could be said that if postdialectic libertarianism holds, we are then forced to choose between postcultural sublimation of mono-cycolpsism into its reification as bi-cyclopsim, on the one hand, and sheer nonsense on the other.
Old 11-27-18, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by badger1
Perhaps, but we must also interrogate cyclopsism -- the thing-in-itself -- which is intrinsically unattainable, according to E. Merckx. Several narratives concerning pre-cyclopsism exist. Thus, in Velocipedes Are Us, von Drais affirms pedal-power as the cultural paradigm of expression, whereas in The View From Way Up Here Eugène Meyer reiterates and reifies a post-dialectic cyclisme.

The characteristic theme of the works of both is the positing of a mythopoetical reality, reified in the material structures of the velocipede and high-wheeler respectively. The cultural paradigm of expression holds that narrativity in both cases is used to oppress the Other. In a sense, the British term ‘coming a cropper’ denotes not deconstruction, but neo-deconstruction.

If one examines these cultural paradigms of expression, one is faced with a choice: either reject precapitalist cyclopsism or conclude that reality comes from the masses. Lacan promotes the use of the modernist paradigm of discourse to deconstruct outdated perceptions of cyclists' identity. It could be said that if postdialectic libertarianism holds, we are then forced to choose between postcultural sublimation of mono-cycolpsism into its reification as bi-cyclopsim, on the one hand, and sheer nonsense on the other.

Let me guess, you REALLY don't want to finish that dissertation, right?
Old 11-27-18, 12:34 PM
badger1

Let me guess, you REALLY don't want to finish that dissertation, right?
Heh; would that I were so young!

Nah ... like you, I really don't like winter, and I have an hour to spare taking out my weather frustrations here before meeting with my senior undergraduate class, from whom I shall receive papers full of the kind of tripe I typed above. I entertain myself by writing parodies and inflicting it on others here; if I have to wade through it, I see no reason you shouldn't!
Old 11-27-18, 01:04 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
... or even a bi-cyclops?
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

A general comment..
I avoided this thread from the outset as the premise struck me as a waste of good electrons. I popped in to the end to see what all the 6 pages of discussion was about..what a surprise..a rambling discourse that looks to have been circling the bowl for a while now.

I'll go back to following my first instincts..
Old 11-27-18, 01:59 PM
jefnvk

Without inane squabbling, the internets would be a very desolate place. I don't think cyclists are unusual in this regard.
I'll switch gears and back up livedarklions on this one. I am (or have been) a member of quite a few different "hobby" forums. Pedantic and pointless arguments are the norm on all of them, there is relatively little truly new ideas ever discussed. FWIW, you walk into any hobby shop, the same behavior is exhibited, just generally in a more polite tone.

Outside of upcoming events, most of the knowledge you could want on bikes has already been written here. Take away the conversation and arguments, and you'd probably find it going bankrupt in a hurry.
Old 11-27-18, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'll switch gears and back up livedarklions on this one. I am (or have been) a member of quite a few different "hobby" forums. Pedantic and pointless arguments are the norm on all of them, there is relatively little truly new ideas ever discussed. FWIW, you walk into any hobby shop, the same behavior is exhibited, just generally in a more polite tone.

Outside of upcoming events, most of the knowledge you could want on bikes has already been written here. Take away the conversation and arguments, and you'd probably find it going bankrupt in a hurry.

And just to be clear, I read and enjoy your posts generally, I just don't agree with you on this subject (which I think we exhausted many posts back).
Old 12-13-18, 12:58 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Agreed. But now you have to answer the question: is a commuter a cyclist?
of course ,anyone who take time and thought into incorporating the bike into their daily life for progress if technically a cyclist , but some crack heads just be slacking , on a stolen kids bike and im not going to be put in the same category as a homeless dude that doesn't have any drive or desire to better themselves , except if they are mentally ill then they just need to seek help from a professional i guess , i guess every label has exceptions . ???
Old 12-13-18, 02:40 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Apart from being the most bigoted post I've seen for a long time, it is also way off the beam. You do understand what a commuter is? See https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...#dataset-cald4 . Hint: the key is using transport between work and home on a regular basis.
Old 12-13-18, 02:51 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Just like every population; there's a distribution.
Old 12-13-18, 05:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
of course ,anyone who take time and thought into incorporating the bike into their daily life for progress if technically a cyclist , but some crack heads just be slacking , on a stolen kids bike and im not going to be put in the same category as a homeless dude that doesn't have any drive or desire to better themselves , except if they are mentally ill then they just need to seek help from a professional i guess , i guess every label has exceptions . ???
What if the homeless dude rides more and faster than you do? Assuming homeless people don't "have any drive" is a rather stupid over-generalization. There's a lot of working people in Silicon Valley who can't afford housing, for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.