Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I found my son's STOLEN bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I found my son's STOLEN bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 07:36 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Please, no recommending rash behavior or violence.

To the OP, hope all goes well.

Old 12-12-18, 07:40 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If you do anything rash, there is a FAR greater likelihood that it will come back on you and you'll be the one facing criminal charges.

It's not fair. But it's the way it'll happen. Especially in California.

Any attempt to take the bike by stealth or by force is technically stealing BY YOU.

I'm not saying I'd judge you morally for doing it. Heck I'm on your side....morally. But legally you're putting yourself in legal danger by trying to do anything yourself here.

Are you POSITIVE it's the same bike? I mean...what thief changes handlebars?
Old 12-12-18, 07:55 AM
jaecult

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way will I ever take matters into my own hands.
Trust me, I built this bike. They kept the stickers from the shop I bought it from ... which is a bike shop thats 2 hours away...they're that dumb.
BUT i will never come in contact with these people.
Old 12-12-18, 08:00 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
After you've filed your stolen bike report, the best bet is to arrange with the seller to meet up, and arrange with the police to be there with you. Show the police the record of your serial number, and both you and the police can verify that it's your bike. The police can then simply inform the seller that you're recovering your stolen bike. You take the bike home. End of story.

I've found that the police are more than happy to show up to assist in resolving disputes, than they are in doing the work themselves to recover stolen property. This way, there's no need to involve district attorneys, or go through the legal system process. It saves everyone a bunch of trouble.
This. That's how I recovered my stolen hybrid in 2014.

As to the change in your bike's looks. The original thief, whoever that is, probably changed out items on your bike to make it harder to identify on an internet ad. Happened to the last 2 bikes stolen from me.
Old 12-12-18, 08:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
This thread would be much better with links.
Old 12-12-18, 08:36 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Methinks the original person who stole it probably sold the good parts and replaced it with the old and given to the kid. The guy is an "ex" for a reason.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-12-18, 08:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
After you've filed your stolen bike report, the best bet is to arrange with the seller to meet up, and arrange with the police to be there with you. Show the police the record of your serial number, and both you and the police can verify that it's your bike. The police can then simply inform the seller that you're recovering your stolen bike. You take the bike home. End of story.
Obtaining a record of a bicycle's serial number is as easy to obtain as walking up to a bicycle rack and copying the serial number of the most appealing bicycle.

Sorry, but the end of the story is that knowing a bicycle serial number is not equal to a sales receipt, nor proof of ever having legitimate ownership of the bicycle.
Old 12-12-18, 08:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread would be much better with links.
Links to what?
Old 12-12-18, 09:00 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
The money you spend trying to get back everything to the way they were is going to cost much more than $600. It's a loss. Best for you to move on.
Old 12-12-18, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jaecult
So heres what I'm working with:
The person that posted the bike is a Mom. Her description is that the bike was giving to her son (looks to be 5-7 years old) by her "ex".
I found her on Facebook so I have her full name and the city she lives in. Based on her photos, her family doesn't seem to have very much money.
I noticed they removed the handlebars and replaced them with some cheap rusted ones. The original bars were nice and chrome but not nicer than the other aftermarket parts i have on it. Doesn't make sense.

I haven't reported it because I thought about doing a bit of investigating myself. Ask for more photos, what year model, what parts it has, any damages. Nothing to blow my cover but just someone thats really interested. I need proof that they're the thieves. I don't think the police would do any investigating like that. I can't picture them inside an interrogation room pulling off the ol' Brendan Dassey trick (Making a Bike Thief).

The bike isn't insured.
Its been missing since August and I just found it on Offerup this Saturday. 4 months of sitting in there backyard can cause all that rust for sure.
I want justice for these a**hles. My son has autism and one of things he loves the most is shredding his bike to school every morning. I built so he can have a cool lookin bmx bike. Right now hes riding my old Kink bmx bike until i can figure this whole mess out.

Thank you guys for all your advice! Its helped me try to figure out a game plan for this situation.
I'll keep you guys posted on what happens later.

At this point, I would recommend you hand everything you have over to the police and let them work on it or not. Does "mom" have other ads on CL, etc.? If it is an operation, she might be using multiple outlets.

The handlebar swap makes me think someone may have grabbed the bike because they liked the handlebars, took them off, and dumped the rest. Thieves aren't always rational about the parts they want. That could be her ex if she's telling the truth or her ex might have found the bike sans handlebars and slapped a cheap one on. You've gone about as far as you can expect tracking this down yourself (way further than most people would--great job!), the cops either will or won't be interested enough to pursue it. At a minimum, they might check out whether she has a garage full of "gifts from her ex"

Your skills still good enough to show your boy a trick or two? I really hope you get his bike back!
Old 12-12-18, 09:33 AM
jaecult

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At this point, I would recommend you hand everything you have over to the police and let them work on it or not. Does "mom" have other ads on CL, etc.? If it is an operation, she might be using multiple outlets.

I have a folder full of photos from 2014 to 2018 of the bike.

The bike hasn't been changed since I purchased it XMAS 2014.

Same stickers, same parts, same everything.

I have the original receipt (2 copies) showing the bike purchase and all the aftermarket parts i added on top of that to be installed.

The owner of the shop hand wrote the serial# on the receipt and on the owners manual. (I spoke him yesterday and he remembers the build)

I have screenshots printed of her post, the bike photos she uploaded and screenshot of her Facebook.

Side by side comparison of her uploaded photos and mine showing its the same bike.

The stem is whats rare. It was a limited addition stem only made in 2014. I've had so many people ask if I wanted to sell it.

I can keep going but i'm pretty confident the cops have what they need when I turn all this in to them.
Old 12-12-18, 10:01 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Maybe you should act quickly, before someone else buys the bike?
Old 12-12-18, 10:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Since you have the serial number the police should recover your son's bike. That's great to get it back. Most people do not. Let this be a warning to everyone when you buy a bike record the serial number. Without it you are out of luck with the police .
^^Definitely this.^^
Old 12-12-18, 10:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
Maybe you should act quickly, before someone else buys the bike?
Yeah, definitely. I'd have contacted the police the minute I saw the bike for sale online.
Old 12-12-18, 10:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Grand theft went up to $950? It was $500 but that was the last time I got hit and that was 13 years ago now
Old 12-12-18, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I have a folder full of photos from 2014 to 2018 of the bike.

The bike hasn't been changed since I purchased it XMAS 2014.

Same stickers, same parts, same everything.

I have the original receipt (2 copies) showing the bike purchase and all the aftermarket parts i added on top of that to be installed.

The owner of the shop hand wrote the serial# on the receipt and on the owners manual. (I spoke him yesterday and he remembers the build)

I have screenshots printed of her post, the bike photos she uploaded and screenshot of her Facebook.

Side by side comparison of her uploaded photos and mine showing its the same bike.

The stem is whats rare. It was a limited addition stem only made in 2014. I've had so many people ask if I wanted to sell it.

I can keep going but i'm pretty confident the cops have what they need when I turn all this in to them.
You absolutely have enough to establish it's the same bike. When I said you've probably gone as far as you can go, I just meant that you won't likely be able to show anything beyond what she told you as to how the bike came into her possession--that's the criminal case the cops would need to pursue.

I almost feel sorry for anyone who is stupid enough to mess with YOUR kid (OK, not really at all). You sound like you'd walk through fire for him.

Hope you two get to do some great riding together when he gets his bike back--sucks that you have to share a single bike because of some criminal jerk.
Old 12-12-18, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have a folder full of photos from 2014 to 2018 of the bike..
Just one more question because you seem to have gotten a pretty good bead on her online activity--do you have any postings where she is selling other bikes? Cops might be more interested in her if they think she's doing this a lot.
Old 12-12-18, 11:31 AM
jaecult

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just one more question because you seem to have gotten a pretty good bead on her online activity--do you have any postings where she is selling other bikes? Cops might be more interested in her if they think she's doing this a lot.
Nothing out of the ordinary. Just some clothing.
Old 12-12-18, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just some clothing.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Hope you have a merry Xmas (or whatever) with your family!
Old 12-12-18, 09:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Even if they don't show, you still have to have evidence that the seller did the actual stealing.

Then there's the possession-is-9/10 laws. He has possession. His claim of ownership is stronger than yours.
If the “seller” doesn’t show up he loses and a default judgment is entered against him. No evidence is taken.
Old 12-13-18, 06:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

If the “seller” doesn’t show up he loses and a default judgment is entered against him. No evidence is taken.
Depends on the state law and the courts' rules. In a lot of places, a small claims case is going to require he be there to lay out the factual basis for the judgment, which likely means spending hours at the court house waiting to be heard.
Old 12-13-18, 09:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Depends on the state law and the courts' rules. In a lot of places, a small claims case is going to require he be there to lay out the factual basis for the judgment, which likely means spending hours at the court house waiting to be heard.
I don’t about other states, but a general rule of jurisprudence, universally aplid, is that if one of the parties doesn’t show up, a default judgment is taken againt the no-show.

Your own jurisdiction may be different, but I doubt it. This is widely accepted and observed procedural rule.
Old 12-13-18, 11:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
There’s a case here where two women bought $500 gift cards with forged money. Police believe they’re in it together so they stole $1000 and that makes it grand theft for both of them
Old 12-13-18, 11:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I haven't reported it because I thought about doing a bit of investigating myself. Ask for more photos, what year model, what parts it has, any damages. Nothing to blow my cover but just someone thats really interested. I need proof that they're the thieves. I don't think the police would do any investigating like that. I can't picture them inside an interrogation room pulling off the ol' Brendan Dassey trick (Making a Bike Thief).
If it is truly a $600 bike selling for $150, I'd file a report NOW.

It may already be out of the poster's possession. I bought both my Univega and Trek 520 mere hours after they were posted.
Old 12-14-18, 04:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I don’t about other states, but a general rule of jurisprudence, universally aplid, is that if one of the parties doesn’t show up, a default judgment is taken againt the no-show.

Your own jurisdiction may be different, but I doubt it. This is widely accepted and observed procedural rule.
Having gotten default judgments entered in a number of different types of courts, they generally require some sort of offer of proof even if perfunctory, so it does mean going in front of the judge for a very brief hearing. So to get a default judgment, the plaintiff still needs to take the time off to go to court and wait to be heard by the judge.

If the plaintiff doesn't show, the case is just dismissed, but plaintiffs have a burden of production even if the other party defaults.I have seen judges limit the offer of proof to answering the question "do you swear everything in the complaint is true" but it is a formality that generally needs to be acknowledged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.