Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes in Rwanda 2018

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bikes in Rwanda 2018

Old 12-22-18, 01:04 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Bikes in Rwanda 2018

In Africa bikes are omnipresent and used for all kinds of transportation, as taxis, for carrying crops, water, construction materials etc. Taking photos, at least in Eastern Africa, is challenging as people get upset when they sight a camera in operation. With this, the only option is to take photos while moving. Below is a sample of photos from Rwanda taken in 2018.

Bamboo Frame Manufacturer

Bike Taxis

Up the Mountain

Village Life close to Border with DR Congo

Hitching a Ride

By the Road

Carrying Milk
Old 12-22-18, 01:07 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Corner Repair Hub

General Cargo
Old 04-07-19, 12:32 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thank you for sharing this! I had something of a fascination with day-to-day utility cycling in actual working situations (vs say, grocery getting). Never ceases to amaze me just how much some folk can handle on a bike - certainly things I don't have the confidence to try readily. It's also interesting that I very rarely see any trailers in use - just the rear rack and the bike frame itself - seems to be the case not only here but in places like Tibet, too.

That bamboo bike frame is rather handsome - I wonder how well it holds up over time?

M.
Old 04-07-19, 11:20 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
It's also interesting that I very rarely see any trailers in use - just the rear rack and the bike frame itself - seems to be the case not only here but in places like Tibet, too.
Indeed most people just use what is available as a mass market product. I saw bikes tied together, front to rear, for carrying construction beams, but no trailers.

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
That bamboo bike frame is rather handsome - I wonder how well it holds up over time?
The joints are saturated with resin and the coating on bamboo is presumably also resin. I rode the bike and it was light and nimble. However at the time they did not solve the problem of mounting the front derailleur - the seat tube obviously exceeds standard diameters and moreover varies from a bike to a bike. In the photo you can see a triple crankset but no derailleur. A week after I took the photo they made it into an article in a local newspaper about a trade show advertising products made in Rwanda, with a government minister talking about them as an example of what you can accomplish. Here is their website, still no derailleur there:

Rwanda Bamboo Bike
Old 04-16-19, 09:55 PM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great post! The bicycle has truly revolutionized the world.