Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 08:32 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
How about a Grant Peterson sub-forum?

Extra credit for anyone who knows the location where this picture was taken.
Looks like Grantby in Hurbertshire just west of Stover. Go Lamplighters!
Old 01-06-19, 08:36 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit
Holy cow!

How can you be sure that your tin foil hat is organic?
https://foodbabe.com/the-united-stat...s-in-the-dark/

​As a delegate from North Carolina at the recent Democratic National Convention (DNC), I sought the truth about GMO-labeling from the leaders of our country and was completely appalled at what I discovered. As many people may know, our food is missing a very important label – one that ​​​​​​President Obama, the FDA, and the USDA have made a concerted effort to deny us from having.

This label is for foods containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs), which are in 90% of our processed food. GMOs are foods biologically manufactured in laboratories – injected with new DNA, viruses, herbicides, insecticides and/or other chemicals – to be resistant to synthetic chemicals and are completely different than hybridizing techniques allowed by nature. Furthermore, GMOs receive patents by the U.S. Patent Office because they have been deemed to be unique and different. Over 50 countries around the world require GMOs to be labeled or regulated.The U.S.A. does not

President Obama promised to label genetically modified foods during his campaign in 2007 but once elected into office, he abandoned this stance. Why? Upsetting Big Ag and the chemical industry was not going to help him get re-elected in 2012. Protecting the rights of American consumers and keeping his campaign pledge were obviously of secondary importance.

Representing North Carolina at the DNC, I believed it was my obligation to hold the leaders I helped put in office accountable for their actions. Below are highlights from the GMO–labeling conversations I had with national democratic leaders, media and celebrities. I now know why a GMO-labeling law has never passed.

Last edited by Gconan; 01-06-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 10:51 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan

​As a delegate from North Carolina at the recent Democratic National Convention (DNC), I sought the truth about GMO-labeling from the leaders of our country and was completely appalled at what I discovered. As many people may know, our food is missing a very important label – one that ​​​​​​President Obama, the FDA, and the USDA have made a concerted effort to deny us from having.

This label is for foods containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs), which are in 90% of our processed food. GMOs are foods biologically manufactured in laboratories – injected with new DNA, viruses, herbicides, insecticides and/or other chemicals – to be resistant to synthetic chemicals and are completely different than hybridizing techniques allowed by nature. Furthermore, GMOs receive patents by the U.S. Patent Office because they have been deemed to be unique and different. Over 50 countries around the world require GMOs to be labeled or regulated.The U.S.A. does not

President Obama promised to label genetically modified foods during his campaign in 2007 but once elected into office, he abandoned this stance. Why? Upsetting Big Ag and the chemical industry was not going to help him get re-elected in 2012. Protecting the rights of American consumers and keeping his campaign pledge were obviously of secondary importance.

Representing North Carolina at the DNC, I believed it was my obligation to hold the leaders I helped put in office accountable for their actions. Below are highlights from the GMO–labeling conversations I had with national democratic leaders, media and celebrities. I now know why a GMO-labeling law has never passed.
Citing a quack like Hari does not lend credibility to your tin foil hat claims.
Old 01-07-19, 12:26 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Ughh... Just a brief look at the authoritative websites you quote shows where you get your info from.

The "Institute for Responsible Technology" was created on the internet in 2003 by author and self proclaimed GMO expert Jeffrey Smith. That's it - he's the institute.

"foodbabe" (that inspires confidence whenever someone uses babe to describe scientific work) describes herself as such:

My name is Vani Hari, but I’m now better known as “The Food Babe.” For most of my life, I ate anything I wanted. I was a candy addict, drank soda, never ate green vegetables, frequented fast-food restaurants and ate an abundance of processed food... I used my new found inspiration for living a healthy life to drive my energy into investigating what is really in our food... I didn’t go to nutrition school to learn this. I had to teach myself everything... I was no longer confused by lengthy food labels...

the more I learned and the more lessons I put into action, the better I felt and wanted to tell everyone about it!

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-07-19 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 12:35 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It's not really reasonable to compare bacterial human insulin with GMO food crops. Bacterial human insulin is highly processed to remove everything but the human insulin, while GMO food crops are often consumed whole. Nor do insulin-producing bacteria have the same potential adverse effect on ecosystems that, say, widespread use of GMO plants producing Bt toxin may have on non-target insects, including important pollinator species.
I don't know what's fair. Someone tossed out a fear based supposition that something bad might happen if they mix human and plan genes and I provided an actual situation where something good happened when they did a similar thing to make bacteria produce human like insulin. You know, balancing what might happen with what did happen, the maybe bad with the real good.

To be really fair, why not link to the bad thing that happened on a scale comparable to helping millions cope with diabetes?
Ps. Preferably from a non biased source not seeking to profit from their own advocacy.

Also, I covered the perceived Bt concern earlier by stating what the real alternative was, or did you just want to ignore that part. They didn't develop that strain out of a vacuum - it is in response to the current practice of broad spectrum manual application of Bt to crops. That means spraying it all over everything (the soil, other plants, other insects that don't feed on plants, workers, equipment) and hoping just some of it sticks to the plant.
How about just asking yourself what the alternative currently is when questioning a product.

Like, what's the real current alternative to not producing a product like Golden Rice: The Golden Rice Project

That website is also biased in its way so I would invite one to read the section entitled: Who we are to discover what their motivation is and their open patent policy for third world farmers so they will be able to grow from their own seed stock without patent/payment issues.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-07-19 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:13 AM
balut bandit
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Food for thought:

www.sciencealert.com/review-of-6000-studies-over-two-decades-delivers-its-verdict-on-GMO-corn
Old 01-07-19, 07:19 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I don't know what's fair. Someone tossed out a fear based supposition that something bad might happen if they mix human and plan genes and I provided an actual situation where something good happened when they did a similar thing to make bacteria produce human like insulin. You know, balancing what might happen with what did happen, the maybe bad with the real good.
We've moved from "it's no different from hybridization" to "nothing really bad has happened yet."
Old 01-07-19, 08:44 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
We've moved from "it's no different from hybridization" to "nothing really bad has happened yet."
One could spend some internet time reading about the rising levels of glyphosate in everything, including bloodstreams. Seems to me bad things are happening.
Old 01-07-19, 09:14 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Damn, this is going to be a long winter. (Thanks, Global Warming!)

Here I was getting ready for a nice, cosy conversation about the joys of Bacon, Moustache Bars, and Suntour barcons, and you lot had to go get all internet-scientific on it.

I'm going to finish my coffee and bacon, then take the old Bridgestone out for a ride. This is a Bicycle forum, isn't it?
Old 01-07-19, 09:28 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by jon c.
Weird. I thought it had moved from unsubstantiated claims of fear to demonstrated facts of benefit.
Old 01-07-19, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So is this thread about splicing bacon into my hybrid bike?
Old 01-07-19, 09:43 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
One could spend some internet time reading about the rising levels of glyphosate in everything, including bloodstreams. Seems to me bad things are happening.
If that is an issue arising from the use of glyphosphates in agriculture it is from the overuse of a broad spectrum, manually applied liquid herbicide - Roundup.

That has also led to the development of herbicide resistant weeds, again from overuse of old fashioned sprays.

There could be an emerging issue with GMO resistant crops that allow Roundup to be sprayed post emergence (you currently can't use it on actively growing crops) but that is a policy issue - not a problem arising out of the seedstock itself. Those GM seeds have nothing to do with the old fashioned chemical being applied to them.

It's a good example of why one needs to think about the science and not just give into fear based generalizations.
Old 01-07-19, 09:45 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So is this thread about splicing bacon into my hybrid bike?
Yes and no. It's about the fear that splicing bacon will one day make your hybrid bike assplode!
Even though it will really only turn it red and thus... make it go faster.
Status quo would be to keep wrapping it in bacon and forget about the aerodynamic drag (and small animals nesting under the saddle).
Old 01-07-19, 10:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I eat a lot of processed foods. I don't eat as many vegetables as I should.
This is why you have pains. Too much processed foods causes inflammation in the joints.

And by the way...Soylent Green is People!!!

Last edited by prj71; 01-07-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 11:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
So this thread has managed to veer way off of Grant, but still has the legs of the usual controversial Grant thread! That’s impressive.

Ill toss some views on the topics discussed since, well, it’s a message board.

I work with 4 of the largest US distributors of GMO seed corn and the common chemicals along with many smaller companies too. It is a constant tug of doing my job to make money and fully recognizing that what I work on is absolutely not good for my environment. There is no part of me that doubts glyphosate’s danger because it certainly isn’t a good thing to touch, be around, or ingest. And if it isn’t a good thing to ingest, then...
And then there is the clear environmental problem due to ag chem runoff and leaching into waterways and groundwater. Good lord that’s just an awful topic to sit down and come to terms with.

GMO isn’t the boogeyman many against it make it seem to be. But the technology has some seriously concerning potential unintended consequences from ethical and legal perspectives.
I fully understand why corporations effectively own the patents on life for GMO seed- their technology makes it happen and they need to make money year after year so they make it law to buy the seeds year after year. Pretty easy to understand from the perspectives of the companies. But the patenting of life has some potentially dangerous results. Yes, I typed out potential and not realized, but the potential downside of something is still sometimes cause enough to not go balls in on embracing it.

Since this thread has now touched on the benefit of messing around with genetics at the human level…
8 years ago, our youngest child was tested for a fatal recessive disease at the 8 cell embryo stage. We knew the recessive disease was fatal since our second child died shortly after birth due to the recessive disease(ARPKD). It was, at the time, absolutely cutting edge biotech. It was also incredibly difficult to handle because each embryo tested was potential life and we were effectively determining what would have a chance to live. Knowing that the afflicted embryos would die shortly after birth if carried to term helped clarify things.
All of this is connected- advancements in one field find their way into other fields. Its incredibly concerning to consider the potential issues genetic manipulation can and will have on humans and we are moving way too quickly in advancements with not enough regard for the social and health impacts. Science fiction is fiction until it isn’t.

The US produces enough food to feed the entire world. The US also disposes of about 35% of its food. Perfectly good food- just tossed out because its imperfect looking, not preferred seasonally, etc. There are areas in the world with very real and very instable food security and that must continue to be addressed, but as it is there is enough food in the world to feed the world many times over, so saying in general that we need this tech to produce enough food is…not fully accurate. Ill phrase it that way. It isn’t inaccurate, but it also isn’t accurate.

As for injected junk, I don’t want to subject my children to hormones and excessive antibiotics by way of the necessary act of eating, if its at all possible. And I am fortunate enough to be in a position to avoid it to a decent degree.
I don’t think any parent would sit down at the table with their children for dinner physically spoon out glyphosate, bovine hormones, or poultry antibiotics to their kids, even in the incremental amounts that are found in each meal. If they wouldn’t, then why would they do the same thru food if they have the opportunity not to?

Again- not all of this is the boogeyman its made out to be, but until I see video of all the defenders eating a spoonful of glyphosate with their Peaches N Cream Oatmeal, im gonna continue to try to periodically avoid indirectly consuming field chemicals and livestock hormones.

<end rant>
Old 01-07-19, 12:01 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan

foodbabe.com? Really?
Old 01-07-19, 12:32 PM
FlashSteve

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Cannondale Caad 7, Ritchey SuperComp, Specialized FSR XC Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simpler solution

I solved the knee/bacon problem by getting a custom Land Shark carbon bike. John Slawta's logo includes a sizzling slice of bacon. For $9500, and zero calories, my kness are now fine.
Old 01-07-19, 12:45 PM
jimrno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I received "EAT BACON, DON'T JOG" for Xmas. It is a super easy read, almost every thought presented in short one page chapters. I think it is very interesting, and I am trying some of his suggestions.
Look up Rivbike.com if you want to read Grant Petersen's advice on how to enjoy bicycling without spandex jumpsuits and mechanical shoes.
Old 01-07-19, 02:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jimrno
I received "EAT BACON, DON'T JOG" for Xmas. It is a super easy read, almost every thought presented in short one page chapters. I think it is very interesting, and I am trying some of his suggestions.
Look up Rivbike.com if you want to read Grant Petersen's advice on how to enjoy bicycling without spandex jumpsuits and mechanical shoes.
But, I enjoy my mechanical shoes.
Old 01-07-19, 03:58 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Big biotech companies pay people to post on social media, forums etc. and defend their techniques and products. Maybe this topic should be shut down.
Old 01-07-19, 04:04 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Big biotech companies pay people to post on social media, forums etc. and defend their techniques and products. Maybe this topic should be shut down.
Yes. Too political. Thanks Grant.
Old 01-07-19, 04:08 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tin foil hat sales are off the charts!
Old 01-07-19, 04:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I noticed this book is available in Kindle version for free for Amazon Prime subscribers, and I am one, so I just "bought" it for nothing. I enjoyed Just Ride, so I will see how the new book is.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-19, 05:07 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Hopefully you don't end up with the Scott Peterson book, by mistake. That would be kind of disturbing.
Old 01-07-19, 06:13 PM
Happy Feet

Where's my cheque? I want to buy GP's book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.