Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Old 01-11-19, 02:13 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I volunteer at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op. We seem to have found a niche of being able to fix seemingly impossibility complex problems on frankenbikes for folks with no money who've been (essentially) kicked out of conventional for-profit shops.

We get clients who are immensely pleased and feel compelled to reward us with often unusual gratuities. Such as foodstuffs and candies and beverages. Got some chicken wraps the other day... always check before eating. Expired date. Were they bought at the till at a discount, or recovered from the dumpster behind the restaurant? With our clientele, it's 50:50.

Vast quantities of bread and rolls come in. Same question.. I guess it's the spirit of giving that counts.

With the food we now have to store and discard, we've now developed a serious mouse infestation.
Old 01-11-19, 03:31 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I volunteer at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op. We seem to have found a niche of being able to fix seemingly impossibility complex problems on frankenbikes for folks with no money who've been (essentially) kicked out of conventional for-profit shops.

We get clients who are immensely pleased and feel compelled to reward us with often unusual gratuities. Such as foodstuffs and candies and beverages. Got some chicken wraps the other day... always check before eating. Expired date. Were they bought at the till at a discount, or recovered from the dumpster behind the restaurant? With our clientele, it's 50:50.

Vast quantities of bread and rolls come in. Same question.. I guess it's the spirit of giving that counts.

With the food we now have to store and discard, we've now developed a serious mouse infestation.
You're comparing a not-for-profit co-op that typically charges peanuts to a conventional retail establishment.

I tip my barber. I don't tip the check-out clerk at Target. If I was to ever get my bike fixed at your co-op...I'd tip you.
Old 01-11-19, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I might have to card them first.
Old 01-11-19, 05:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Cuyuna
You're comparing a not-for-profit co-op that typically charges peanuts to a conventional retail establishment.

I tip my barber. I don't tip the check-out clerk at Target. If I was to ever get my bike fixed at your co-op...I'd tip you.
Trying to understand your analysis... a barber is the same as a not-for-profit, while Target isn't, right?
Old 01-11-19, 06:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
...folks with no money who've been (essentially) kicked out of conventional for-profit shops.
I imagine that your clientele have 3 strikes working against them at the LBS's being operated as an adjunct to bicycle club socializing activities.

Not only do they not have much money but probably don't tip/bribe the help for doing their job, and worse yet, probably do not share the same social profile as the LBS club members/preferred clientele who get the special service by the bros running the LBS operation.
Old 01-11-19, 06:42 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I know it’s corny but last time I brought in a 6 pack of Fat Tire Ale
Old 01-11-19, 06:46 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by spelger
Not to be a jerk or anything buy why do people feel they need to be tipped just for doing their jobs? waiting tables...i get that. working on my bike/car/painting my house? i'm already paying for a job well done. that should be enough.

just today i read a headline about airlines wanting their stewards to be tipped. can't wait to read that story.

https://www.wfla.com/national/this-a...nts/1696079318
I think you are kind of being a jerk because OP didn’t reference anyone asking for a tip or feeling the need for a tip.
He simply seemed to be wondering if anyone else did it. I do.

Old 01-11-19, 07:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
I don't use any LBS, much less a specific one (quite a few here), enough to worry about building a relationship. Closest one that has the item or service I'm in need of in a timely fashion gets my business. They hand me a bill, I pay it. We both are happy.

In my employment relationships with vendors and manufacturers is very important, but that might encompass $1M contracts and very expensive delays where often price isn't even talked about, but how soon can you get it here. Me buying something at the LBS instead of on line is more about wanting to finish something up and they have it in stock and I don't.
Old 01-11-19, 07:32 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Trying to understand your analysis... a barber is the same as a not-for-profit, while Target isn't, right?
I often tip personal service workers that provide me with personal service, particularly when it's a service where tipping is traditional. Like barbers, waiters, masseuses, etc. When I go into a bike shop to purchase repair services, I don't tip them, or bake cookies, give them basketball tickets or a couple of brewskis. I treat them politely and respectfully and pay them the labor rate that they request. It's been a very gratifying business transaction for more than 20 years. In the end, the way that you deal with any of the people you do business with has nothing to do with me. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but around here it's not the way these things are done.
Old 01-11-19, 08:03 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I imagine that your clientele have 3 strikes working against them at the LBS's being operated as an adjunct to bicycle club socializing activities.
Nope. The reason that conventional shops won't work on their bikes, or even listen to their 'problems' is self-evident the instant they come through the door. And it is not about lack of money, although this type is invariably cheap.

The very worst Co-op customers ride bikes that are hopeless, never-ending, do-it-yourself, bottomless money-pit Frankenbikes. The bikes are usually completely inappropriate for local riding, around here manifested as 50-pound full-suspension rigs for riding on smooth city streets. Then add dropper posts, ape-hanger bars, ancient computers and GPS systems, dynamo hubs, electric-assist wheels, etc. So their bikes are bristling with bolt-on superfluous crap. Then these folks will waste everyone's time digging for obscure parts, failed attempts at hacking together incompatible shifters and derailleurs, and making yet another of a series of useless mods to their rides.

They'd have been better off in buying a simple $500 hybrid, and not messing around with it.
Old 01-11-19, 08:49 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Not to be a jerk or anything buy why do people feel they need to be tipped just for doing their jobs? waiting tables...i get that. working on my bike/car/painting my house? i'm already paying for a job well done. that should be enough.
Just because mechanics appreciate being tipped doesn't mean they expect to be tipped. Some customers are just generous. You're not obligated to be, and no one will think more or less of you either way. Really.
Old 01-11-19, 08:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

a classic..

Old 01-11-19, 10:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Just because mechanics appreciate being tipped doesn't mean they expect to be tipped. Some customers are just generous. You're not obligated to be, and no one will think more or less of you either way. Really.
Just don't expect to see your bicycle worked on any time soon, if or when the mechanic "bros" are taking care of their generous pals first, eh?
Old 01-12-19, 12:36 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Just don't expect to see your bicycle worked on any time soon, if or when the mechanic "bros" are taking care of their generous pals first, eh?
Prompt service earns tips, not the other way around. Cynical much?
Old 01-12-19, 01:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Prompt service earns tips, not the other way around. Cynical much?
Nope, I just read what some of your LBS buds posted on this and other threads on BF. Some prompt service is prompter than others if it is for one of the LBS 's club members or "generous" friends.
Old 01-12-19, 05:56 AM
downhillmaster

Nope, I just read what some of your LBS buds posted on this and other threads on BF. Some prompt service is prompter than others if it is for one of the LBS 's club members or "generous" friends.
Welcome to the real world.
It’s only an issue if you are petty, cheap, or resentful of just about everything in general.

Old 01-12-19, 09:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Welcome to the real world.
It’s only an issue if you are petty, cheap, or resentful of just about everything in general.
Which, despite the objections of those who do it, is why some of us view those actions indeed as a form of bribery.
Old 01-12-19, 09:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Which, despite the objections of those who do it, is why some of us view those actions indeed as a form of bribery.
Also why some of us may view with contempt those LBS employees/mechanics who think that customers are petty, cheap, or resentful if they don't bring them beer, or other tokens of friendship/tips/bribes for doing their job.
Old 01-12-19, 09:49 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

That hasn't been my experience as either a bike shop customer or an employee. But you go ahead and grind that axe if it makes you feel better.
Old 01-13-19, 02:52 AM
downhillmaster

Also why some of us may view with contempt those LBS employees/mechanics who think that customers are petty, cheap, or resentful if they don't bring them beer, or other tokens of friendship/tips/bribes for doing their job.
Lol.
Keep vainly trying to rationalize your obvious ‘frugalness’ and issues with the real world of service/retail.
I also happen to have a regular auto mechanic that I occasionally bring beer.
It doesn’t mean that he looks down upon or ignores his other customers.
Old 01-13-19, 05:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

I think you are kind of being a jerk because OP didn’t reference anyone asking for a tip or feeling the need for a tip.
He simply seemed to be wondering if anyone else did it. I do.

this thread has gone places. seems like the answer to my original question is either yes-whether on occasion or (semi) regularly, no/never or no unless there is some extraordinary
service involved. happy with my local shop and their expertise/tools/abilities/workspace far exceeds mine. not a demanding customer and never in a rush so it's ready when it's ready.
i've got a backup bike/wheels. i understand not everyone's in the same position. they're still getting a mixer sixer next week...but more likely two sixers. i could care less whether they
crush it all or give the entire thing away or whatever serendipitous mix arrives at the truth. it's theirs to leverage or dispose of as they see fit.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-13-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 08:52 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
It’s oddly devolved into arguments for “I don’t need friends” and “anybody trying to build friendship is cheating.” Um... ok.

-Kedosto
*SMH*

Old 01-13-19, 09:37 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kedosto
It’s oddly devolved into arguments for “I don’t need friends” and “anybody trying to build friendship is cheating.” Um... ok. -Kedosto
*SMH*
It's oddly comical that the picture being painted is of bicycle mechanics gleefully drinking beer and giving preferential treatment to a cadre of bribers, while other customers are ignored and ridiculed. In every shop I have ever worked at in my 59 years, we have prided ourselves on getting every customer their bike back when it was promised. The occasional tip was given and received with appreciation, but no quid-pro-quo relationship was ever implied or practiced. But I'm under the impression that a few of our more vocal members here don't have any idea how the service industry actually works. All would benefit from spending a year in retail or restaurants, if only to raise their own consciousness. Not holding my breath on that, however.
Old 01-13-19, 10:08 AM
Runner13.1

Bikes: Cinelli Zydeco, Cervelo P3, Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did just the other day.
Bought the mechanic and owner a six pack of local beer.
It's amazing what just $10 can do. It made their day and showed how much I appreciate them.
Old 01-14-19, 12:14 PM
tatelabianca666

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conveniently the best liquor store AND coffee shop in Pvd is down the street from my LBS. I always tip my mechanics well so they can choose their own vices! Hell, if they wanted to buy CBD cream to put on their nuts then they could and should!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.