Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 03:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Just got this cool bike--it's the Trek Nigne.
woah, it has the left hand drive upgrade, must make you a lot faster
Old 02-07-19, 07:41 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Probably not since that’s not going to happen. Several of my bikes are US made but not all of them. None of my bikes are something you’ll find on a showroom floor, however. Even my Specialized Epic is unique compared to stock. Mass produced, yes but still unique.
It was a hypothetical. Too bad that all American bikes are so rare as to be unique.
Old 02-07-19, 07:46 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Do all you want with tariffs and regulations, complete USA built bikes still won't ever happen due to labor costs. Few to none will buy a complete bike that cost many times more than a comparable Asian built machine. Americans want low cost products, but expect high wages, and this extends beyond bikes. Do the math. Exactly how can this ever work out?
Most production bikes are made in big factories with automated processes and robots. No reason we couldn't do that here. Americans can make the best cars and planes and helicopters and ships and many other manufactured goods. No reason it couldn't be the same with bicycles.
Old 02-07-19, 08:37 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Most production bikes are made in big factories with automated processes and robots. No reason we couldn't do that here.
Then other than a few high end/high dollar frames and parts, (and certainly NOT any complete bikes) why isn't anyone doing it?

Because the Asian plants do it well for a lot less.

And I just watched a few videos. Still plenty of humans working in those huge plants.
Old 02-07-19, 08:45 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Avoid this old timer if your a loaded tourist. The flexibility of this bike is downright dangerous. It's OK for credit card touring and very comfortable for light or supported tours. Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. I bought a used one, modified the shifting and gearing and had a miserable time from Oregon to Mexico keeping the thing in a straight line.
How much load (rider and gear) were you running? I'm curious because as a lightweight I'm not sure I can say I've ever felt a frame flex, and certainly not to a point that I had issues keeping a straight line because of it!
Old 02-07-19, 09:19 PM
willibrord

Then other than a few high end/high dollar frames and parts, (and certainly NOT any complete bikes) why isn't anyone doing it?

Because the Asian plants do it well for a lot less.

And I just watched a few videos. Still plenty of humans working in those huge plants.
I don't know exactly. Somehow in the last 35 years we let the whole industry slip away. We weren't serious about protecting our industries and our workers, thats for sure. As to the exact steps that should've been taken, I'm not enough of an expert to know. Look at the link that cyccomute posted, there are lots of companies making bicycle parts in America. And we are capable of making other industrial products, cars or airplanes, in high tech automated factories. We should be able to connect the dots and produce high quality, innovative, bicycles used the latest materials and technologies, right here on American soil. Trek is one of the villains as they shifted their factories to Asia under the guyise of being the Made in America company. With the right incentives Trek should be able to reverse those moves and bring bikes back.
Old 02-07-19, 09:37 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Doped

Bought a new Trek in Colorado, got a 1 months supply of Muscle Milk and a pan of brownies infused with cannibus. It's a nice ride maaann. Lol
Old 02-07-19, 09:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
But corporate leadership consistently whine about govt tax and how they're at a disadvantage. They sell out jobs to other countries anyways.
>>Trek consumed competitor bike companies and then shuttered them too! More jobs loss due their greed. Without getting all political, read up on some family members.<<
I guess I'm not seeing that.

https://fox6now.com/2014/05/05/after...cord-on-taxes/

https://www.bikebiz.com/landscape/pr...resident-trump

Buying out competitors is kind of how a lot of businesses grow.
Old 02-08-19, 07:40 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

I don't know exactly. Somehow in the last 35 years we let the whole industry slip away. We weren't serious about protecting our industries and our workers, thats for sure. As to the exact steps that should've been taken, I'm not enough of an expert to know. Look at the link that cyccomute posted, there are lots of companies making bicycle parts in America. And we are capable of making other industrial products, cars or airplanes, in high tech automated factories. We should be able to connect the dots and produce high quality, innovative, bicycles used the latest materials and technologies, right here on American soil. Trek is one of the villains as they shifted their factories to Asia under the guyise of being the Made in America company. With the right incentives Trek should be able to reverse those moves and bring bikes back.
Thanks for the reply, willibrord.

Hmmm, I believe “protecting” industries and offering incentives is not likely a solution to what you see as a problem. Especially long term. Americans have access to high quality bikes at low cost thanks to the Giant Asian Factories. We obviously like that because we buy plenty. Unemployment is low here, so it’s not like we are wanting for jobs. This doesn’t seem like a problem that needs any addressing to me.

I don’t understand the yearning by some for bikes made in America. Why? It can’t be because they are better, or a better value. Maybe it’s a pride thing? Or the desire to patronize fellow Americans? I like supporting people who work hard in other countries too. Like it or not, everyone has to compete with the world market in many segments of the economy today. This is not likely to go away. I’d suggest it’s not a bad thing.
Old 02-08-19, 08:19 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Most production bikes are made in big factories with automated processes and robots. No reason we couldn't do that here. Americans can make the best cars and planes and helicopters and ships and many other manufactured goods. No reason it couldn't be the same with bicycles.
All of the videos that I've seen of carbon bikes have had people involved in the layup process.
When I get on the elliptical, I turn on youtube and watch videos of things like that.
Old 02-08-19, 08:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Avoid this old timer if your a loaded tourist. The flexibility of this bike is downright dangerous. It's OK for credit card touring and very comfortable for light or supported tours. Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. I bought a used one, modified the shifting and gearing and had a miserable time from Oregon to Mexico keeping the thing in a straight line.
Assuming your talking about the 520...Funny that the couple of people on 520s that I rode across the country with (camping and cooking) didn't have any problems with their bikes. And, BTW, it was recently re-designed again. IIRC, Trek downgraded some of the components and upped the price. In any event, I have no need for one. My LHT serves me well for fully-loaded touring, even when I go off pavement.
Old 02-08-19, 08:31 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

You want to pick a fight over something stupid and meaningless.

Well you are gonna have to do it all by your lonesome.

Good luck to you and your Asian bikes.
Dude, c'mon. Almost all "Italian" bikes are made in Asia. This includes all Pinarellos, every Colnago except the C64 (which is glued together and painted in Italy from tubes and lugs made in... Asia), the vast majority (all?) of Bottecchias (lol) etc. They're made in Asia not just for cost reasons, but also because that's where the manufacturing expertise and supply chain is the best. This "origin" stuff has been bull**** for several decades and didn't really matter in the first place:
https://www.velonews.com/2012/03/bik...-origin_211105
Old 02-08-19, 09:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
You rode a bike that was so flexible that it gave you a dangerous, miserable time all the way from Oregon to Mexico and weren't able to find a more suitable replacement along the way?

Mighty strange!
Old 02-08-19, 11:50 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Trek makes very few bikes of their own. Most of them are made by contracted vendors such as Giant Bicycles, CBC, etc. They are really, really good at marketing. That is why you see so many of them out there.
I didn't know trek didn't make their own bikes. CAn you provide a link please?
Old 02-08-19, 02:44 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Just got this cool bike--it's the Trek Nigne.

Apologies to @indyfabz
That's a cool looking bike, and from Trek? who would have thunk! I didn't see this bike on their website, to you have a site for it?
Old 02-08-19, 02:46 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by greatscott
That's a cool looking bike, and from Trek? who would have thunk! I didn't see this bike on their website, to you have a site for it?
Uh...No. Sort of a running joke. It's from an independent, custom ti frame builder in Philadelphia. That image is reversed. The brand is Engin. See page 5 of this thread for the actual photo.
Old 02-08-19, 02:49 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I got a similar bike from my favorite LBS in The Twilight Zone:

That's pretty damn cool. Especially the plumb frame. Great work!
Old 02-08-19, 03:03 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I didn't know trek didn't make their own bikes. CAn you provide a link please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trek_Bicycle_Corporation

"With its headquarters in Waterloo, Wisconsin, Trek bicycles are marketed through 1,700 dealers across North America, subsidiaries in Europe and Asia as well as distributors in 90 countries worldwide. 99% of Trek bicycles are manufactured outside the United States, in countries including the Netherlands, Germany, and China.[2]"
Old 02-08-19, 03:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
You should get Wal-Mart stickers if you really wanted to beef up your security!
or Rapha labels.. same thing, right?
Old 02-08-19, 07:58 PM
willibrord

Thanks for the reply, willibrord.

Hmmm, I believe “protecting” industries and offering incentives is not likely a solution to what you see as a problem. Especially long term. Americans have access to high quality bikes at low cost thanks to the Giant Asian Factories. We obviously like that because we buy plenty. Unemployment is low here, so it’s not like we are wanting for jobs. This doesn’t seem like a problem that needs any addressing to me.

I don’t understand the yearning by some for bikes made in America. Why? It can’t be because they are better, or a better value. Maybe it’s a pride thing? Or the desire to patronize fellow Americans? I like supporting people who work hard in other countries too. Like it or not, everyone has to compete with the world market in many segments of the economy today. This is not likely to go away. I’d suggest it’s not a bad thing.
The issue of whether Americans have access to reasonably priced bicycles is separate from the issue of manufacturing leaving America for Asia. It is a symptom. Everry dollar that goes to Asia is a dollar they will use to undermine us. I suppose it is better to support an American company like Trek than an Asian company like Giant. Just keep buying American when you can.
Old 02-08-19, 08:34 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
The issue of whether Americans have access to reasonably priced bicycles is separate from the issue of manufacturing leaving America for Asia. It is a symptom. Everry dollar that goes to Asia is a dollar they will use to undermine us. I suppose it is better to support an American company like Trek than an Asian company like Giant. Just keep buying American when you can.
To my mind, this kind of xenophobic commentary belongs in P&R, not in General Cycling.
Old 02-09-19, 09:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Dude, c'mon. Almost all "Italian" bikes are made in Asia. This includes all Pinarellos, every Colnago except the C64 (which is glued together and painted in Italy from tubes and lugs made in... Asia), the vast majority (all?) of Bottecchias (lol) etc. They're made in Asia not just for cost reasons, but also because that's where the manufacturing expertise and supply chain is the best. This "origin" stuff has been bull**** for several decades and didn't really matter in the first place:
https://www.velonews.com/2012/03/bik...-origin_211105
Dude, if ignorance be a mark of distinction, you, sir, are one very distinguished person.

Carry on.
Old 02-09-19, 12:13 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Same in Philly. Specialized is the new Trek.
maybe because Trek screwed people over when the took over the Bike Line stores in Philly area. I was a huge Trek fan and would periodically go into he BL stores to see the latest rides, etc. and would get gift cards in $50 or $100 increments as a way to save up for my future dream ride. Little did I know Trek would come in and only accept cards purchased a few months prior to the takeover. I’m out a ton of money... it on the bright side, it ticked me off enough to go check out a Giant Roam 1 and I bought it instead. Heck to Trek and their DS models. Never again!
Old 02-09-19, 12:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Must have done something to be around for over 40 years.
Old 02-09-19, 03:45 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uh...No. Sort of a running joke. It's from an independent, custom ti frame builder in Philadelphia. That image is reversed. The brand is Engin. See page 5 of this thread for the actual photo.
Oh, Ok, that's' funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.