Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

52T vs 70T (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 07:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Nope. Go back and reread the beginning. TMTT is just posting about his build until D.I. calls it nonsense. There was no mention of speed at all at that point. By D.I's second post he was already calling TMTT a troll. The stuff about speed comes later and is unfortunate because it derailed the thread but one only has to wonder if it would have come up at all if D.I. hadn't tried so hard to provoke the original pissing contest. Eliminate that little side show and TMTT has been pretty consistent in his posts about his build.

If the OP is guilty of anything it's just not knowing what he does not know. Have that collide with someone who is determined to cause embarrassment and you have a ***** show. I just credit D.I. with that more than TMTT because there was clear malicious intent on his part.

Originally Posted by tellmethetruth

In case anyone was interested to know the difference. 70t measures at around 29-30 cm's in diameter (with a few cm of clearance of chainstay).
More pics of full build coming soon.
someone's jealous their chainring is underwhelming jk ♥
I'll post a video riding it when it's built
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, the OP has another thread looking for an 11T singlespeed cog, so apparently we can look forward to some 70-11 action. Or was we call it here in the real world, "nonsense."

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-31-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 07:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Nope. Go back and reread the beginning.
Nope. Go back and read the aforementioned 11t thread.
Old 03-31-19, 07:40 PM
Happy Feet

I did before. And once again D.I. is bound and determined to derail that thread. Just read a bit more and you see lots of people actually discussing the subject.

I sort of understand TMTT's thinking, even if I think it's misguided. He has a 70T chainring and wanted to mate it to the lowest common cog, an 11T - hence the question. He probably wants to make the widest ratio possible thinking that if he can turn it, it will give him the best chance of going the fastest. Ok, whatever.. I credit that to a rookie mistake. I suspect he will learn something from that and if still game up his cog but we all have to start somewhere and seeking the biggest hurdle off the bat isn't that unique, especially when building such a bike is so easy to do relatively speaking.

I say, let him build it, let him ride it, let him learn and let him post his progress - which he is more likely to do without the hassle.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-31-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 07:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I'll call attention to posts #16 and #19 . Maybe the ignorance is indeed because he "doesn't know what he doesn't know" but the insults seem extreme for a minor provocation.
Old 03-31-19, 07:57 PM
Happy Feet

Maybe. But, if we put ourselves in his shoes and assume someone simply wanting to share their excitement about a build the criticism is a little provocative. Why dd D.I. call his thread nonsense out of the blue like that?

What I sense is for some reason D.I. and TMTT have clashed in a weird way and a lot of the following was jaded by that. Otherwise, it's been pretty tame on TMTT's part.
Old 03-31-19, 08:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Calling someone out on their flat-out BS is not trolling. If the OP wants to put a pair of unusable cogs together, that's absolutely fine. If it's purely of the purposes of "Look at this thing I made," that's great. More power to him. But the OP took his own thread into Trollsville at post #19 . He made the claim he was going to do 50mph on the flats-- I had nothing to do with that. He then said, directly to me, "You must be one of those who knows everything about cycling, but has never cycled a day in his life. Evidence is clear with knowledge of gears and mild gradients." That is trolling. The OP has made numerous personal attacks against myself and others, to the point where mods needed to clean up the thread. But I'm the troll? Okay. Sure.
Old 03-31-19, 08:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I just hope its gets built. I would love to see it completed and love to see a video of it going down the road...….I love different ideas like this.
Old 03-31-19, 08:15 PM
Happy Feet

Calling someone out on their flat-out BS is not trolling. If the OP wants to put a pair of unusable cogs together, that's absolutely fine. If it's purely of the purposes of "Look at this thing I made," that's great. More power to him. But the OP took his own thread into Trollsville at post #19 . He made the claim he was going to do 50mph on the flats-- I had nothing to do with that. He then said, directly to me, "You must be one of those who knows everything about cycling, but has never cycled a day in his life. Evidence is clear with knowledge of gears and mild gradients." That is trolling. The OP has made numerous personal attacks against myself and others, to the point where mods needed to clean up the thread. But I'm the troll? Okay. Sure.
Yet you called him a troll in post 18.. that's a weird timewarp.

The fact is you and he argued between 3:23 and 4:25 in the 11T thread and you carried that over to this thread at 5:42. You called him a bassass there at 5:39 and a troll here at 5:51. He didn't make post 19 until 6:01.

I get it. You had hurt feelings and wanted to make sure everyone got in on your payback so you set out to paint him in a certain light.
Old 03-31-19, 08:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Did the OP specifically request that you come to his aid, or is this just normal behavior on your part? Either way, it's killing the buzz in here.
Old 03-31-19, 08:24 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'm still waiting to see a picture of the bike.
Old 03-31-19, 09:01 PM
tellmethetruth

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the OP specifically request that you come to his aid, or is this just normal behavior on your part? Either way, it's killing the buzz in here.
The fact you're still here shows what a committed troll you are.
Old 03-31-19, 09:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

So you did call for backup? Remains unclear. AFAIC, every time you bother to call me a troll or go full schoolyard is yet another missed opportunity to post up a picture. A snippet of the frame. Anything.
Old 03-31-19, 09:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Be careful now. Please understand that if you boys get the thread locked we'll all miss out on the greatness yet to come.
Old 03-31-19, 10:09 PM
Happy Feet

Don't know you or the OP. I'm just a guy who can read and thought I'd point out your version of "the OP being a troll" rings a little too self serving is all.

No matter how misguided you may think the OP to be, it's clear you are not interested so why don't you just let him have his build thread without the negativity.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-31-19 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 12:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Be careful now. Please understand that if you boys get the thread locked we'll all miss out on the greatness yet to come.
Then he can find user dragracer88 on MTBR* and they can really have some fun.

*also here on BF, but he got little traction because he put it in the racing forum and was ignored
Old 04-01-19, 04:46 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm just now realizing how absurd the notion of an 11t single speed cog is.
Old 04-01-19, 05:45 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Don't know you or the OP. I'm just a guy who can read and thought I'd point out your version of "the OP being a troll" rings a little too self serving is all.

No matter how misguided you may think the OP to be, it's clear you are not interested so why don't you just let him have his build thread without the negativity.
how is any of this relevant, beyond a desire to call out DrIsotope? Who went full troll first is a pointless discussion. It’s like figuring out which cow in a pen, farted it up first. None of it changes the fact that the OP, wether ever intending to achieve anything beyond having an ugly chainring on his bike, got himself into this mess by his own trolling. And he can either prove hes superman, or admit he’s just a troll as well. He can’t have his thread without negativity, because HE contributed a massive amount of that negativity in two threads. If I had to choose which ‘trolls’ shoes to be in right now, it would be DrIsotope’s. This thread is nothing but useless entertainment, because it’s pretty clear the OP isn’t serious about anything, and he’s already ruined his ability to build whatever he’s planning on building and just being able to show off how he spent his money. because now he has to put his money where his mouth is. He of course, won’t. We may see a few photos of a build, but not likely anything beyond that. You’re sticking your neck out but seem to be unable to admit that the OP has just as much if not more blame, despite the ratio of sharing of that blame is all pointless anyway. When you spend your time parsing who ‘trolled first’, honestly, what are you even doing? Congrats on wasting your own time rereading all the nonsense though. Cheers.
Old 04-01-19, 05:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I'm guilty of adding to the "who trolled whom" digression but I'm truly interested in seeing the bike and what if, anything, OP is able to do with it. If this thread is locked, maybe OP will have the courtesy to return with a final report.
Old 04-01-19, 06:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Then he can find user dragracer88 on MTBR* and they can really have some fun.

*also here on BF, but he got little traction because he put it in the racing forum and was ignored
Funny! I was over there looking for reviews of a mtb hub and found that a notorious poster, banned from this and several other bike touring forums is trying to take root there.
Old 04-01-19, 08:56 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by seamuis

how is any of this relevant, beyond a desire to call out DrIsotope? Who went full troll first is a pointless discussion. It’s like figuring out which cow in a pen, farted it up first. None of it changes the fact that the OP, wether ever intending to achieve anything beyond having an ugly chainring on his bike, got himself into this mess by his own trolling. And he can either prove hes superman, or admit he’s just a troll as well. He can’t have his thread without negativity, because HE contributed a massive amount of that negativity in two threads. If I had to choose which ‘trolls’ shoes to be in right now, it would be DrIsotope’s. This thread is nothing but useless entertainment, because it’s pretty clear the OP isn’t serious about anything, and he’s already ruined his ability to build whatever he’s planning on building and just being able to show off how he spent his money. because now he has to put his money where his mouth is. He of course, won’t. We may see a few photos of a build, but not likely anything beyond that. You’re sticking your neck out but seem to be unable to admit that the OP has just as much if not more blame, despite the ratio of sharing of that blame is all pointless anyway. When you spend your time parsing who ‘trolled first’, honestly, what are you even doing? Congrats on wasting your own time rereading all the nonsense though. Cheers.
Want him to post progress so you can mock it. Mock him if he doesn't post progress. Gee...

If your mind is made up about it's pointless uselessness, why the interest?

For my part I would like to see what happens with the build but find the school yard dog piling distasteful so I decided to call the BS. And I suppose, as in such scenarios, the bystanders are a little upset that I'm spoiling their schadenfreude.
Like I said before, why not let the guy have his build thread without the negativity. It will succeed of fail on it's own merit without willing it to go there for entertainment value.
Old 04-01-19, 09:43 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE TO ALL: Enough of the "Personal" stuff.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-01-19, 09:43 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Want him to post progress so you can mock it. Mock him if he doesn't post progress. Gee...

If your mind is made up about it's pointless uselessness, why the interest?

For my part I would like to see what happens with the build but find the school yard dog piling distasteful so I decided to call the BS. And I suppose, as in such scenarios, the bystanders are a little upset that I'm spoiling their schadenfreude.
Like I said before, why not let the guy have his build thread without the negativity. It will succeed of fail on it's own merit without willing it to go there for entertainment value.
where did I genuinely mock his goal? Did you read my posts? I even offered a suggestion on how to record his speed. What I have said though, is that he has contributed his own trolling and that is probably a damn good indication he isn’t serious. I have also said that I’m in agreement with DrIsostope on the fact that what he’s claimed to be able to achieve is rather nonsense. That is also a pretty good sign that he’s not serious, but is in fact a.. wait for it.. troll. I’m not hating on his so far nonexistent build. I’m saying he so far hasn’t illustrated anything other than the purchase of a chainring and immature behaviour. And again, saying he basically deserves a negative free thread when he has abundantly contributed negativity is absurd. Instead of trying to defend someone who is guilty of what you accuse others of, if you want this to be serious, and you want to genuinely see what happens, then might I suggest appealing to the OP, to not contribute his own trolling and come forward with what he’s building and wether or not he’s actually serious about the claims he’s made. Anything more than that, and you’re just contributing to the continuing negativity yourself.
Old 04-01-19, 09:50 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

In case anyone was interested to know the difference. 70t measures at around 29-30 cm's in diameter (with a few cm of clearance of chainstay).
More pics of full build coming soon.
If you wish to post the full build, please start a new thread.

At that point, everyone should stay on topic.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html