Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got screamed at by a driver at 5:00 AM

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Got screamed at by a driver at 5:00 AM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 02:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
There's a difference: you're ALLOWED on the sidewalk, but you have a RIGHT to the street. Just keep that in mind.
He has a right to ride in the street If he rides in the specified direction, i.e. with the flow of other vehicle traffic.

If he doesn't know how or doesn't choose to ride on the street safely and legally he would serve everyone best by staying on the sidewalk.
Old 04-02-19, 03:14 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
so everyone who is giving @Koyote grief, i just gotta ask one thing. was koyote wearing cycling lycra? cause honestly don't care how in shape you are there is nothing less intimidating than a man in brightly colored lycra. it's pretty much opposite of threatening
Old 04-02-19, 09:56 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
...a driver rolled down his window....
Or did he lower his power window? If the poor guy had to crank down his car windows then he might be unhappy driving around in a 25 year old car? All kidding aside, anger is a secondary emotion. He might be fearful of hurting you so he directs his fear to blaming you for his in ablility to share the road safely.

A mom yelled at me for riding on the street because I was a bad example to her kids by riding my bike on the street. So with good intentions, though some what foul language, she disciplined me from her moving car, as her kids listen from the back seat.
Old 04-03-19, 01:33 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte

Or did he lower his power window? If the poor guy had to crank down his car windows then he might be unhappy driving around in a 25 year old car? All kidding aside, anger is a secondary emotion. He might be fearful of hurting you so he directs his fear to blaming you for his in ablility to share the road safely.

A mom yelled at me for riding on the street because I was a bad example to her kids by riding my bike on the street. So with good intentions, though some what foul language, she disciplined me from her moving car, as her kids listen from the back seat.
Did you instruct her on her poor parenting skills? I once saw a video where some women was so angered at some insensitive man in a store that she fled out the store and into the parking lot to confront him living her small child behind to fend for herself. Was she going to fist fight the man in the parking lot? Was that the lesson she wanted to teach her young daughter? Some mothers are just that pathetic.

Anyway, back to the screaming driver. This is not rocket science people. When you encounter these lunatic drives on the road just tell them to "read the handbook" and end the communication. They're either too pig-headed, or don't know enough to admit that they're wrong.
Old 04-03-19, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mjd420nova
I really don't like riding in the street. You'll find me on the sidewalk or at the curb facing traffic. That way they have to see me and I can see them, I hate traffic coming up behind me, no escape if you don't see them. One instance where I was riding on the side walk on a very congested street, when I came to an intersection and attempted to cross, was almost run over by a driver looking the other way. There comment was I should be in the street, not on the sidewalk. MY return comment was that I ride on the sidewalk to avoid idiots like you and rode off. Works both ways I guess.
Riding on the sidewalk and opposite traffic are both really good ways to get hit at an intersection. There's enough study of this to tell you what you're doing is far more dangerous to yourself than riding on the right side of the road.
Old 04-03-19, 04:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
There's a difference: you're ALLOWED on the sidewalk, but you have a RIGHT to the street. Just keep that in mind.
Where I live, we're not allowed on the sidewalk. That's true in a lot of places. @JoeyBike used to post how he had a right to ride on the sidewalk, took me about thirty seconds to find the ordinances that said he didn't.
Old 04-03-19, 08:00 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mjd420nova
I really don't like riding in the street. You'll find me on the sidewalk or at the curb facing traffic. That way they have to see me and I can see them, I hate traffic coming up behind me, no escape if you don't see them. One instance where I was riding on the side walk on a very congested street, when I came to an intersection and attempted to cross, was almost run over by a driver looking the other way. There comment was I should be in the street, not on the sidewalk. MY return comment was that I ride on the sidewalk to avoid idiots like you and rode off. Works both ways I guess.
You should be on the street, not the sidewalk.
Old 04-03-19, 08:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Where I live, we're not allowed on the sidewalk. That's true in a lot of places. @JoeyBike used to post how he had a right to ride on the sidewalk, took me about thirty seconds to find the ordinances that said he didn't.
If I wrote ^^that here, you have caught me in a lie. Children under a certain age are allowed on the sidewalk. Been a law for 50 years I believe. And I very well know this. HOWEVER...I still jump up on a sidewalk now and then to avoid a garbage truck, utility work, road repairs, or other stuff blocking the street. In fact, i used sidewalks on the way home last night and on the way to work this morning for about 6 house lengths for those reasons.

I remember the discussion about sidewalks and I accused another poster about being full of poo that he was legally allowed on sidewalks in his community and he smacked me down with proof of the fact that he was actually correct. HE informed me that an easy Google search could have uncovered that fact and may have even called me a name. Even my middle name isn't Dick.

It is illegal for adults in New Orleans or even Louisiana to bike on a sidewalk. Thankfully, no one here cares and i seriously doubt a single ticked has ever been written in those 50 years, unless there was an crash involved.

So...illegal but never enforced. Maybe I meant that.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-19, 09:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Local ordinance to me states that if you feel a road area is unsafe for riding in the lane, you can assume the sidewalk but still yield to pedestrians.

Imagine your local 45mph center turn lane 4 lane boulevard with a sidewalk both sides.

Even if that isn't the law, ride the sidewalk till you can get off and go slow and don't be a turd. If you get stopped, take off your shoes and helmet and hand it to the cop and say "here, you go play in that traffic".

As for confrontations, videos, audio, and a cell phone call is a lot more effective than screams and single digit finger salutes.

Think about it this way, my ratio of negative interactions locally involving car vs. car and car vs. bike actually weighs worse to my driving my car around town in the car vs. car.

I have to blow my horn or see all manner of lunatic moves between cars more often.

I also don't play the game of "my rights" by choosing to ride super busy areas the wrong times of day. If I want to bomb the boulevard to quickly leave town for a ride, I do it at 6:30 on a Saturday/Sunday morning. I don't do it in the middle of the day.

Too many riders play chicken with the "I belong here" bit.

I have said a legit prayer for a local commuter I see taking one of the busiest 4 lane center turn boulevards in town. He passes right near my neighborhood. I can gather within about 1/4 mile his destinations to/from work from having seen him so often. There's a damn MUP about 1/2 mile into the neighborhood that runs about 75% the length of his route. What's he do? Bomb the boulevard next to 45mph rush hour traffic. I'm assuming he's avoiding this one 4 minute hill by using the boulevard TO work. He takes the MUP home instead as the boulevard has the meaner hill going home. It's not an anomoly of geology/geography, just that the hill is meaner one way versus the other. Imagine that, willing to risk death daily to shave 3min off his commute. God bless sir, take care.

If I got screamed at 5AM, I'd probably just ask the guy if he wants to go get a beer. They'd be so damned confused. Or ask them for spare change like a beggar.
Old 04-03-19, 09:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Every oen of us is leaving here one way ort another. And he is obviously not even "risking" an accident if he is still doing it. You might be afraid to do it, but he apparently has mastered it.

Not saying he is better than you, but you seem to be saying you are smarter then he is.

I used to ride an urban commute where it was simply impossible not to ride through rush-hour traffic My options were to go to work two hours early, go to work two hours late, or ride my bike where I needed to. There were no less-trafficked "alternate" routes and no bike lanes, let alone MUPs. So ... i learned to do it safely. Really wasn't that hard.

I also used to ride a motorcycle ... all the same dangers as riding a bike but you crash with about twice or three time the speed if you crash. Having done both, i feel i can reasonably assess the relative risk ... but everyone thinks motorcycles are safer than bicycles. I say it is the rider, not the bike.
Old 04-03-19, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If I wrote ^^that here, you have caught me in a lie. Children under a certain age are allowed on the sidewalk. Been a law for 50 years I believe. And I very well know this. HOWEVER...I still jump up on a sidewalk now and then to avoid a garbage truck, utility work, road repairs, or other stuff blocking the street. In fact, i used sidewalks on the way home last night and on the way to work this morning for about 6 house lengths for those reasons.

I remember the discussion about sidewalks and I accused another poster about being full of poo that he was legally allowed on sidewalks in his community and he smacked me down with proof of the fact that he was actually correct. HE informed me that an easy Google search could have uncovered that fact and may have even called me a name. Even my middle name isn't Dick.

It is illegal for adults in New Orleans or even Louisiana to bike on a sidewalk. Thankfully, no one here cares and i seriously doubt a single ticked has ever been written in those 50 years, unless there was an crash involved.

So...illegal but never enforced. Maybe I meant that.

Cheers.
Guess I caught you in a lie then. Here is the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...morning-4.html
Old 04-03-19, 10:17 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Guess I caught you in a lie then. Here is the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...morning-4.html
In the UK, sidewalks are called "the pavement". Yet, it is illegal to ride a bicycle upon them. The OP noted that it is perfectly legal to cycle on the sidewalks where he lives. Same with where I live. You bet I jump on the sidewalk to avoid roadblocks, garbage trucks, giant potholes, broken down vehicles, whatever. And like the OP, I watch for peds the same way motorists watch out for me - I don't want to hit them because I don't want to be delayed further.
^^THERE it is. Must have had a mini-stroke or something. Liar.

Nice catch.

Actually, I believe i did a poor editing job on that post. This seems more accurate and what I should have posted. I know very well it is illegal here.

In the UK, sidewalks are called "the pavement". Yet, it is illegal to ride a bicycle upon them. [Same with where I live]. The OP noted that it is perfectly legal to cycle on the sidewalks where he lives. Same with where I live. You bet I jump on the sidewalk to avoid roadblocks, garbage trucks, giant potholes, broken down vehicles, whatever. And like the OP, I watch for peds the same way motorists watch out for me - I don't want to hit them because I don't want to be delayed further.

[The OP noted that it is perfectly legal to cycle on the sidewalks where he lives].
Sometimes at work I actually get called on to WORK. Right in the middle of a post or thought. This is my excuse.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 04-03-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 10:29 AM
Maelochs

Sometimes at work I actually get called on to WORK. Right in the middle of a post or thought. This is my excuse.
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. So unfair!

But be honest ... you don't care about the sidewalk laws any more than you care about red lights.
Old 04-03-19, 11:00 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I prefer riding on the left side because I do not like drivers coming up from behind. When facing the driver there is eye contact and I can see if I am looking at a maniac or whether to bolt away into the ditch from a nut. PPL are less likely to drive close if you look them in the eye. They are bolder when they can sneak attack. However I get that there are times when it is better to be on the right side. It's one of life's little dilemmas.
I also understand why someone would drive on the sidewalk, but not me, too bumpy, and besides I have had the Police give a lecture doing that.
Old 04-03-19, 11:16 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Enraged Driver Issues

In addition to the previous comments and driver issues,

1) The majority of (non-cyclist) drivers don’t know that cyclists must go by the same rules of the road as motor vehicles. We are supposed to act accordingly, in terms of our state’s ‘Driver’s Handbook.’ Theoretically, (in CA) a cyclist can be in any car lane (preferring the slower lane, if traveling slower than cars), and drivers must drive around them, among other things.

2) The driver who blew-up may have issues because he (I say he because it’s ALWAYS a male) never learned to ride a bike, or perhaps, had issues during that phase of his life (toilet training, soiling clothes, harsh reprimands from parent/caretaker, peers poking fun, etc).

3) The driver may have issues with his own physical condition and will lash out at someone who is fit and enjoying himself on one of the world’s greatest inventions.

4) Further, there are “other” cyclists out there who shed negative light on responsible cyclists. These are the riders you may encounter who ride without lights or reflectors in complete darkness, hoodlums riding BMX style bikes with seat height at lowest setting, homeless persons who ride with all sorts of hazardous items affixed to their bikes, etc.

BTW, we have a really DUMB law in the state of CA that makes it a traffic violation if a motor vehicle gets within 3 feet from a cyclist. This law is simply a “feel good” law and is ridiculously unenforceable.

Most importantly, the people driving around you in motor vehicles are complete strangers and NOT your friends or family. DO NOT, EVER trust them.

I stopped going by the rules of the road in late 2016 when I was in a hit & run crash that sidelined me for 6 months and changed my life. My riding strategy has changed dramatically since. I now ride sidewalks, driveways, lawns, parking lots, road shoulders, etc. I map out the safest routes prior to traveling. If I somehow get caught in a hazardous situation, I’ll immediately get to safety and stop, if needed. BTW, I always ride with multiple lights front & rear; flashing during the day, when I travel among ANY vehicles.

Ok, so it may take a bite out of your time in getting to your destination, but, in the end, you will still be alive and pedaling :-)
Old 04-03-19, 11:28 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
I prefer riding on the left side because I do not like drivers coming up from behind. When facing the driver there is eye contact and I can see if I am looking at a maniac or whether to bolt away into the ditch from a nut. PPL are less likely to drive close if you look them in the eye. They are bolder when they can sneak attack. However I get that there are times when it is better to be on the right side. It's one of life's little dilemmas.
I also understand why someone would drive on the sidewalk, but not me, too bumpy, and besides I have had the Police give a lecture doing that.
I absolutely hate it when I see a cyclist coming at me on the wrong side of the road. I am guessing that most drivers are with me. The reason a pedestrian walks toward traffic, has little do do with eye contact and more do do with being able to move out of the way if a vehicle approaches too closely.

I would like to see your data on how it is safer to ride facing traffic. PA state law requires cyclists ride on the right. I imagine most states are the same. You might want to check your state law before continuing this practice. You might also check studies on the practice. My guess sis they will agree with state law.
Old 04-03-19, 11:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
The driver who blew-up may have issues because he (I say he because it’s ALWAYS a male) never learned to ride a bike, or perhaps, had issues during that phase of his life (toilet training, soiling clothes, harsh reprimands from parent/caretaker, peers poking fun, etc).
Perhaps, but also possible that is the perception of a holier-than-thou cyclist who projects various unfavorable traits on those he feels holier than.

The driver may have issues with his own physical condition and will lash out at someone who is fit and enjoying himself on one of the world’s greatest inventions.
Perhaps, but also possible that is the perception of a holier-than-thou cyclist who projects various unfavorable traits on those he feels holier than.
Further, there are “other” cyclists out there who shed negative light on responsible cyclists. These are the riders you may encounter who ride without lights or reflectors in complete darkness, hoodlums riding BMX style bikes with seat height at lowest setting, homeless persons who ride with all sorts of hazardous items affixed to their bikes, etc.
So-called "hoodlums" riding BMX style bikes with seat height at lowest setting shed negative light on so-called "responsible cyclists" like yourself? How?

Homeless persons who ride with all sorts of hazardous items affixed to their bikes [what the heck is that even supposed to mean?] shed negative light on so-called "responsible cyclists" like yourself? How?

Talk about annoying!

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-03-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 12:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. So unfair!

But be honest ... you don't care about the sidewalk laws any more than you care about red lights.
I do not care about the law BUT...when I venture onto the sidewalk I am 100% respectful, bike at walking speed, yield to everyone, and realize that I am operating inside and element that does not "belong" to me. Same as if I were cycling through someone's house or business.
Old 04-03-19, 12:08 PM
Maelochs

@alanf---in most cases you could not see the eyes of a maniac until it was too late. And even if you did, if a driver Wants to hit you, how could you stop him? Cars can go pretty much anywhere you could on your bike in the half-second you'd have to move.

In the other cases, it doesn't matter. No need to see the eyes of people who are watching traffic.

However, you Are breaking the law by riding the wrong way, so if you did get hit, you wouldn't be able to sue ... and would likely get a ticket and have to pay for repairs to the car.

Worst thing though .. is that you will be Endangering Other Cyclists because of your fear and selfishness. When I see a salmon (a wrong-way rider) I always smile and if I have time, say, "You're going the wrong way." But I don't always have time ... because now I not only have cars coming up behind me, I have a selfish, ignorant, idiot bearing down on me from ahead. Now I have to decide how to safely negotiate traffic coming from Both directions. You "feel" safe, and I am put in danger. Thanks, pal.

Look, here it is:

If you cannot feel safe riding on the road in a safe and legal manner ... DO NOT.

it is not a manhood/bravery thing. Be honest. If you cannot feel safe riding Legally on the roadway, you don't belong there. Acknowledge it and find another way.

Think about it ... if I as a car driver, said I only felt safe driving against traffic ... eh? Why do You get to break the law and put others in danger?

Be honest and be an adult. If you do not feel competent to use the roads legally and safely, do not. We all SHARE the roads---cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. You don't want anyone else making up their own laws, so you shouldn't either.

It is honesty and decency. If you cannot use the road properly, for the sake of the rest of us, stay on MUPs and sidewalks.
Old 04-03-19, 12:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Old 04-03-19, 01:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
In addition to the previous comments and driver issues,

1) The majority of (non-cyclist) drivers don’t know that cyclists must go by the same rules of the road as motor vehicles. We are supposed to act accordingly, in terms of our state’s ‘Driver’s Handbook.’ Theoretically, (in CA) a cyclist can be in any car lane (preferring the slower lane, if traveling slower than cars), and drivers must drive around them, among other things.

2) The driver who blew-up may have issues because he (I say he because it’s ALWAYS a male) never learned to ride a bike, or perhaps, had issues during that phase of his life (toilet training, soiling clothes, harsh reprimands from parent/caretaker, peers poking fun, etc).

3) The driver may have issues with his own physical condition and will lash out at someone who is fit and enjoying himself on one of the world’s greatest inventions.

4) Further, there are “other” cyclists out there who shed negative light on responsible cyclists. These are the riders you may encounter who ride without lights or reflectors in complete darkness, hoodlums riding BMX style bikes with seat height at lowest setting, homeless persons who ride with all sorts of hazardous items affixed to their bikes, etc.

BTW, we have a really DUMB law in the state of CA that makes it a traffic violation if a motor vehicle gets within 3 feet from a cyclist. This law is simply a “feel good” law and is ridiculously unenforceable.

Most importantly, the people driving around you in motor vehicles are complete strangers and NOT your friends or family. DO NOT, EVER trust them.

I stopped going by the rules of the road in late 2016 when I was in a hit & run crash that sidelined me for 6 months and changed my life. My riding strategy has changed dramatically since. I now ride sidewalks, driveways, lawns, parking lots, road shoulders, etc. I map out the safest routes prior to traveling. If I somehow get caught in a hazardous situation, I’ll immediately get to safety and stop, if needed. BTW, I always ride with multiple lights front & rear; flashing during the day, when I travel among ANY vehicles.

Ok, so it may take a bite out of your time in getting to your destination, but, in the end, you will still be alive and pedaling :-)

Originally Posted by Maelochs
@alanf---in most cases you could not see the eyes of a maniac until it was too late. And even if you did, if a driver Wants to hit you, how could you stop him? Cars can go pretty much anywhere you could on your bike in the half-second you'd have to move.

In the other cases, it doesn't matter. No need to see the eyes of people who are watching traffic.

However, you Are breaking the law by riding the wrong way, so if you did get hit, you wouldn't be able to sue ... and would likely get a ticket and have to pay for repairs to the car.

Worst thing though .. is that you will be Endangering Other Cyclists because of your fear and selfishness. When I see a salmon (a wrong-way rider) I always smile and if I have time, say, "You're going the wrong way." But I don't always have time ... because now I not only have cars coming up behind me, I have a selfish, ignorant, idiot bearing down on me from ahead. Now I have to decide how to safely negotiate traffic coming from Both directions. You "feel" safe, and I am put in danger. Thanks, pal.

Look, here it is:

If you cannot feel safe riding on the road in a safe and legal manner ... DO NOT.

it is not a manhood/bravery thing. Be honest. If you cannot feel safe riding Legally on the roadway, you don't belong there. Acknowledge it and find another way.

Think about it ... if I as a car driver, said I only felt safe driving against traffic ... eh? Why do You get to break the law and put others in danger?

Be honest and be an adult. If you do not feel competent to use the roads legally and safely, do not. We all SHARE the roads---cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. You don't want anyone else making up their own laws, so you shouldn't either.

It is honesty and decency. If you cannot use the road properly, for the sake of the rest of us, stay on MUPs and sidewalks.
Find another sport, hobby, pastime, means of travel, really. Bird watching perhaps? I don't even know what to make of mentalities like this.
Old 04-03-19, 01:16 PM
OBoile

In Canada, those times would be *all* the time. It's illegal to ride on the left.
Old 04-03-19, 01:29 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
In Canada, those times would be *all* the time. It's illegal to ride on the left.
Interesting. Do you have a link to this law?
Old 04-03-19, 01:38 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
That is the best reason to join the law enforcement :-) awesome.

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Been there done that. Then I would take out my badge and ID, instruct the driver to pull to the side of the road in front of me, check his license and registration, and if they were okay, give him a lecture on traffic law. The more in a hurry he appeared to be, the longer I would take. There is nothing like seeing the look of anger and outrage on a driver's turn to total fear, and angry curses turn into almost tearful apologies.
Old 04-03-19, 01:38 PM
OBoile

Interesting. Do you have a link to this law?
You can google your respective province's traffic laws, but here's a summary from Ontario:
Bicycle Safety

Rules of the road

As a cyclist, you must share the road with others (e.g., cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, etc.).

Under Ontario's Highway Traffic Act (HTA), a bicycle is a vehicle, just like a car or truck.

Cyclists:
  • must obey all traffic laws
  • have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers
  • cannot carry passengers - if your bicycle is only meant for one person

Riding on the right

You must stay as close to the right edge of the road whenever possible, especially if you're slower than other traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.