Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Health hazards of chain lube

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Health hazards of chain lube

Old 06-06-19, 03:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
beeswax?
Why do you have this obsession with lubricants based on the exploitation of our fellow sentient beings?

Use a vegan chain-lube!
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-06-19, 07:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
paraffin or beeswax?
I would tell you but don’t want big brother thinking i am selling a product for them. But it’s really great stuff!
Old 06-06-19, 09:25 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I would tell you but don’t want big brother thinking i am selling a product for them. But it’s really great stuff!
My thinking is that paraffin is a petroleum product and beeswax is a natural substance. Probably less harm to the environment using beeswax, if you take the full production cycle into consideration.
Old 06-06-19, 09:28 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by wgscott
Why do you have this obsession with lubricants based on the exploitation of our fellow sentient beings?

Use a vegan chain-lube!
A number of people are switching to canola oil for chainsaw bar oil. I haven't heard of a similar trend happening with chain lube.
Old 06-06-19, 09:30 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, now name the product and we'll see if we can figure out why the LBS is bad-mouthing it. Just don't name the LBS if you're still worried about defamation.
If you really want to know you can PM me. I can't get the product at my favourite hyper local lbs, but I am thinking I will try and use a
non petroleum based product from now on. Just not sure which one.
Old 06-07-19, 06:01 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Not with the cost of razors today.
I switched to a safety razor. Quality double-edged blades are about 10-15 cents. I usually get at least 3 per blade. Safety razors require a bit more skill and attention, but I find the result much better.

OP. Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 06-07-19, 06:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Was in my local lbs today and asked for a popular brand of chain lube that I had been using. Was told they no longer carried it because of health hazard, It gets into your blood through your skin and causes problems. I didn't find anything on line, so I am curious about this. I'm not going to name the brand because I don't want to be sued, but does anybody else know of this problem?

I think there are organic not pteroleum based lubes, (no, not olive oil) that are being marketed specifically for bicycle lube purposes.
I am late to the thread and haven't taken time to read through it, but when I read your post the first thing that came to mind is that the lube should be applied to the chain, not the skin. I guess that is proving difficult Way out West.
Old 06-07-19, 07:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
If you really want to know you can PM me. I can't get the product at my favourite hyper local lbs, but I am thinking I will try and use a
That's lame. You should have no fear broadcasting what this chain lube is.

Most of us deal with gasoline on a weekly basis filling up our cars, or even lawn equipment, which is more frequent than many apply chain lube. I don't see us car drivers living in fear of the gasoline companies or their resellers.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-07-19, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Nah, this topic won't be any fun without the insane bike posse speculating wildly over the LBS' sinister motivations.
Old 06-07-19, 12:27 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never believed the acetone stayed in my liver. But the heavier molecules of uncured polyester resin? When I took the pills, I felt absolutely nothing for weeks. Except for the routine of taking them, I forgot about it completely. Then I started feeling weird, like something was off. I started getting really spacey, forgetting stuff and like I was always on the edge of getting sick. Sleeping worse. This all built so slowly I didn't put together the "why". Just cursed that I was feeling this way in July. Then early August, I started feeling better. Sleeping better than I had in decades. Allergies near gone. And realized I'd been spending the previous weeks with the s*** that I took in through my skin decades ago coursing through my bloodstream; that now (apparently) that stuff was out of my body. That was two years ago. I am still learning aspects of the "new" body.

I know this all sounds foo-foo. I also know that what we all heard about as fiberglass builtbuilders never saw the daylight of the media. (Cynical me - blue collar fiberglass laminators doing work nobody wants vs Dow Chemical and Union Carbide - is this a surprise?)

Ben
What you're describing is a pretty typical response when detoxifying a long standing/heavy accumulation of toxins. Typically this process is repeated several times to finish (and it's usually easier and shorter each time). You've got more need and less capacity to get rid of the "stuff" you've accumulated at first, and the balance shifts with time. You probably smelled funny/bad, your skin itched/was red and went to the bathroom more often. And that probably smelled worse too.

It does sound kind of foo-foo at first, but that's because our sickness care system doesn't have a drug to do this. The health care system is familiar with it, and usually patients try sickness care until they are tired of feeling sick and start looking for alternatives.
Old 06-07-19, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Seriously? Are we going to have a thread become a debate on quack cures having absolutely nothing to do with bicycling? This discussion has absolutely no place in this forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-19, 02:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Seriously? Are we going to have a thread become a debate on quack cures having absolutely nothing to do with bicycling? This discussion has absolutely no place in this forum.
did you really expect better from all this?
Old 06-07-19, 03:30 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Somebody PM the OP and get the name of the product.
Old 06-07-19, 03:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Use a vegan chain-lube!
I think you've confused bees with either mice or possibly dolphins.
Old 06-07-19, 04:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

And yet you've commented on it several times earlier, why is that? Have a Vioxx if the discussion is giving you a headache, the sickness care industry had research that showed it was safe earlier.
Old 06-07-19, 05:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by sdmc530
did you really expect better from all this?
I would hope the moderators would take down all this irrelevant nonsense about "detoxing". It's crap quackery and completely irrelevant to the cycling forum.
Old 06-07-19, 05:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by no motor?
And yet you've commented on it several times earlier, why is that? Have a Vioxx if the discussion is giving you a headache, the sickness care industry had research that showed it was safe earlier.
The ghost of Walt Kelly told me your gullibility shames Pogo.
Old 06-08-19, 09:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
I would hope the moderators would take down all this irrelevant nonsense about "detoxing". It's crap quackery and completely irrelevant to the cycling forum.
We’re in the post-truth era, bud, or should I say, the New Dark Age of the Internet? Everyone’s “facts” are equal and science is part of the conspiracy.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-08-19, 09:42 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We’re in the post-truth era, bud, or should I say, the New Dark Age of the Internet? Everyone’s “facts” are equal and science is part of the conspiracy.
It's fake news, and should not be tolerated right? More soma for the masses - or perhaps some opioids for the extreme cases. We know they're safe because we've got "science" that says so.
Old 06-08-19, 12:56 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
It's fake news, and should not be tolerated right? More soma for the masses - or perhaps some opioids for the extreme cases. We know they're safe because we've got "science" that says so.
I don't know where you get your science, but in Europe where I live opioids are regulated and only available with prescription because of their dangers and addiction potential. I don't know a single person who thinks opioids are safe. Also most drugs have side effects and are dangerous when overdosed. But with regulated drugs you get accurate dosage so the risk of overdose with responsible and informed use is minimized to almost nonexistence.

But just go on ahead and chug on your willow bark tea. I'll rather take an aspirin.
Old 06-08-19, 02:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I don't know where you get your science, but in Europe where I live opioids are regulated and only available with prescription because of their dangers and addiction potential. I don't know a single person who thinks opioids are safe. Also most drugs have side effects and are dangerous when overdosed. But with regulated drugs you get accurate dosage so the risk of overdose with responsible and informed use is minimized to almost nonexistence.

But just go on ahead and chug on your willow bark tea. I'll rather take an aspirin.
In fairness, I think the poster is referring to the campaign by Purdue Pharma and others to portray the data on oxycontin and other high-potency opioids as showing that the addictive potential was low in patients with significant pain. This was a deliberate misrepresentation and is the subject of criminal prosecution.

I was just out of a neurology residency at the time that this began and there was a big cultural shift in US clinics in favor of treating pain hyper-aggressively with narcotics, pain as the "fifth vital sign," and similar stuff, not all of it bad. In retrospect, quite a bit of this appears to have been commercially driven, but bull**** wasn't science then or now.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 06-08-19 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-08-19, 06:54 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio

hehehe.

science is not an exact science... didn't you know.

in the US any doctor can prescribe you opioids and possibly opiates just like that. and this is now causing more deaths than cars/guns/actual real drugs combined per year.

Gotta keep the machinery rolling man...

I'm gonna take an mdma/coke/speed sleeping pill soon. its from the doctor.
Likes For carlos danger:
Old 06-08-19, 07:01 PM
carlos danger

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
In fairness, I think the poster is referring to the campaign by Purdue Pharma and others to portray the data on oxycontin and other high-potency opioids as showing that the addictive potential was low in patients with significant pain. This was a deliberate misrepresentation and is the subject of criminal prosecution.

I was just out of a neurology residency at the time that this began and there was a big cultural shift in US clinics in favor of treating pain hyper-aggressively with narcotics, pain as the "fifth vital sign," and similar stuff, not all of it bad. In retrospect, quite a bit of this appears to have been commercially driven, but bull**** wasn't science then or now.
i wonder, to who?? lol.

i hope they prosecute this to "the fullest extent of the law", if you know what i mean...
they knew goddamn well what would happen with that chemical.

it was the same with heroin, heroin was "invented" because people got hooked on morphine, to "take them out of the morphine addiction". and we kinda all know how that one played out... (irony face here)

same type of people pulling the strings now once again.
Likes For carlos danger:
Old 06-08-19, 07:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So here's the formula for your posts --scientific medicine is bad because it did these specific bad things.

Know what you can't do? Defend alternative medicine. Scientific medicine has eradicated several diseases such as polio and smallpox, improved longevity, reduced mortality from many sorts of causes (including childbirth), made conditions that were death sentences such as diabetes 1, hemophilia, and HIV something that people can live long and productive lives, developed surgical techniques that can restore functionality to people who would have been largely immobilized in prior generations, and a whole host of other things that are objectively observable and verifiable. Alternative medicine has produced nothing but unverifiable stories and claims. It's primary success seems to be in alleviating the swelling of suckers' wallets.

You're putting your faith in an industry that regularly makes all sorts of claims on the labels of the products they sell, then has to put a disclaimer that says, in essence, we don't really mean it.
And btw, your Vioxx example is quite stupid. You do understand that it was scientific research that showed the hidden danger of the drug. Show me anywhere where alternative medicine has actually corrected earlier modality errors, I dare you.

I also double dog dare you to explain where these supposed toxins are stored, what exactly those toxins are, and the actual chemical mechanism by which these magic detoxifiers actually remove the toxins. And no, describing things by using analogies like "it's like detergent" will definitely not count.

You want this argument? Fine, you got it.
Old 06-08-19, 07:27 PM
carlos danger

I like alt meds as a supplement to trad meds. i see now that some chems that were known for "thousands of years" are now somehow classed as meds. go figure.
For example i can't buy any milk thistle capsules, or extracts, since its now classed as real meds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.