Old 06-10-10, 10:44 AM
robsrex

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sacramento Bee Ride Articles

The Sacramento Bee has had a couple articles outlining "great rides" in the area. I'm wondering what people's opinions are of these rides. I find that the folsom lake ride is not as easy as the article makes it out to be. I haven't done the ride mentioned in today's paper, but it is on my list.

https://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/13/274...e-circuit.html
https://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/10/281...ile-route.html
Old 06-10-10, 11:16 AM
shiz702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done all those hills mentioned lots of times. Great roads out there with very little traffic.
Old 06-10-10, 11:52 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Shiz, I've ridden those hills in the 2nd one, but not all together. I've done the loop around Folsom Lake a bunch of times, it's a classic in the area, and definitely not as easy as it's made out to be. I blew up on it last Sunday and limped home, but rode it a little faster than I have in the past.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 06-10-10, 12:18 PM
redspoke

Bikes: Hyphy-Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woah! I've done that Folsom loop with Shiz and Joel. Haha! Easily do-able. Has a lot of everything. What I wouldn't recommend is adding 60 miles by riding to the start and back home to Elk Grove when it's 104 degrees. Phew! I'm melllllting! I'm melllting! Feels like yesterday.
Old 06-10-10, 12:22 PM
shiz702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redspoke
Woah! I've done that Folsom loop with Shiz and Joel. Haha! Easily do-able. Has a lot of everything. What I wouldn't recommend is adding 60 miles by riding to the start and back home to Elk Grove when it's 104 degrees. Phew! I'm melllllting! I'm melllting! Feels like yesterday.
I have since gone back many times for redemption from that one ride two years ago. I laugh to myself every time I'm on Old Forest Hill and think about how bad I was suffering that day!
Old 06-10-10, 12:54 PM
nachomc

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you decided to do that I knew you were gonna suffer.

The Folsom ride is a lot of fun. The descent on 49 is SCARY and fast and awesome. Salmon Falls Rd. is also awesome. You can carry some serious speed on those hills. Great ride.
Old 06-11-10, 11:50 AM
redspoke

Bikes: Hyphy-Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nachomc
The Folsom ride is a lot of fun. The descent on 49 is SCARY and fast and awesome.
The only time on a bike where you will beat a Mini Cooper in a race.

I memorized the Nutrition Facts of Wheaties that day as well.
Old 06-11-10, 03:12 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to be sadistic on the Folsom Lake Loop, you can turn left off Salmon Falls Rd onto Rattlesnake Bar (at Pilot Hill), drop down to the lake, then climb back out. You can also turn right at the top of Old Foresthill Rd, then turn left onto Clementine, drop down to the dam, then climb back out. Adds a few feet to the overall climb. Of course, there is always the Georgetown climb (via Prospector) that you can add in between Pilot Hill and Cool.
Make sure you have a lot of water with you during the summer if you do the extra climbs. The canyons get hot.
Old 06-11-10, 09:20 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done the Lake Loop many times. I especially like adding the Rattlesnake Bar Rd out and back. Last year I did the Lake Loop w/ Rattlesnake and Prospector (to Georgetown). Oooh, that hurt.

One of these days I'll add Clementine to that.
Old 06-12-10, 11:55 PM
nachomc

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time on a bike where you will beat a Mini Cooper in a race.

I memorized the Nutrition Facts of Wheaties that day as well.
I'm happy to report that the Wheaties jersey is ... too big for me now

And that poor guy in the Mini. He tried, but just couldn't shake our lycra-clad crew
Old 06-15-10, 02:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did the Folsom Lake loop a few weeks ago when it was still cool. The store on 49 seems to have gone out of business so you have to ride a few more miles to Cool. Two suggestions: go on a weekday if you can; and go early in the day if you can.
Old 06-17-10, 12:52 AM
vincejohnston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, complete noob here. I really want to try the trip around Folsom, but I think I need more training first. Just to get an idea, how does the Sierra College hill, between Douglas and Rocklin Road compare to most of the hills in the trek around Folsom? Thanks, Vince
Old 06-17-10, 07:38 AM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vince, it doesn't. I tackled that loop (around Folsom Lake) 2 years back, thinking I was ready. The reality was far different I wasn't even close. The suffering was intense. About the only reason I made it back to the car was that I am stubborn. I was in way over my head.

If you want some other climbs to prep for the loop, there are a bunch out toward the West or South of Auburn (Chili Hill, Ridge, Lozanos, Baxter, Bald Hill, Indian Hill, Shirland Tract, etc.). There are some good hills to strengthen the legs in El Dorado Hills too (Iron Point, Beatty, Wilson, Serrano, etc.).

I did the Folsom Lake Loop yesterday with Shiz and threw in Prospector for an extra climb. Felt really good for a change!

Old 06-17-10, 10:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
Vince, it doesn't. I tackled that loop (around Folsom Lake) 2 years back, thinking I was ready. The reality was far different I wasn't even close. The suffering was intense. About the only reason I made it back to the car was that I am stubborn. I was in way over my head.

If you want some other climbs to prep for the loop, there are a bunch out toward the West or South of Auburn (Chili Hill, Ridge, Lozanos, Baxter, Bald Hill, Indian Hill, Shirland Tract, etc.). There are some good hills to strengthen the legs in El Dorado Hills too (Iron Point, Beatty, Wilson, Serrano, etc.).

I did the Folsom Lake Loop yesterday with Shiz and threw in Prospector for an extra climb. Felt really good for a change!
I second the recommendation of these Folsom/EDH hills. I'll park at the Costco off US50, do the Costco hill (Iron Point) a few times to warm up, then over to Beatty for some real suffering. Beatty is short, but steep and steady.
Old 06-17-10, 11:57 AM
vincejohnston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I'm really getting more into cycling to lose some pounds, but reading the article has made me decide that is a challenge I want to tackle. I live in Roseville, so I'll check google maps to see if I can find a route or two that hit up the hills mentioned. Thanks again!
Old 06-17-10, 01:51 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincejohnston
Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I'm really getting more into cycling to lose some pounds, but reading the article has made me decide that is a challenge I want to tackle. I live in Roseville, so I'll check google maps to see if I can find a route or two that hit up the hills mentioned. Thanks again!

I took cycling back up a couple years ago for exactly that same reason. Good luck! You might also check the Sacramento Bike Hikers for some group rides, and I think Sharp Bicycles has some group rides. I understand the B group isn't a high pace ride.

Old 06-20-10, 09:08 PM
tosterbe
Mr. 16657

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vince, I live in Roseville near HP. PM me if you need local routes.

Todd
Old 06-22-10, 05:30 PM
4score

Bikes: Felt Z45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Vince...I'm sorta new too, but live in Auburn. A lot of riders have 30 mile-ish rides from Victory Velo in Downtown Auburn. There's also a nice group that goes on a Happy Hour ride Tuesday evenings at 6 PM (20-ish miles). Here's the email I received..."Don't forget about the Tuesday night Happy Hour Ride at the Club Car. We had about 19 folks join us last week and it was a gas. Cameron, for those of you who don't know, has graced us with a lullaby song for his daughter that I can't seem to get out of my head all week. "B double E double R U N BeerRun. All you need is a ten and a fiver, keys to the car and a sober driver. BeerRun." Now imagine his best Tim Mcgraw twang impersonation. Funny stuff. Leaves the shop around 6pm...." Most hit the Club Car for a burger and a beer afterwards. The trick is to do just enough riding in the nearby hills to justify the burger/beer!
Old 06-22-10, 08:45 PM
shiz702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since when do you need to justify burgers and beer??
Old 06-22-10, 10:58 PM
vincejohnston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey 4score, I actually bought my Bianchi from VictoryVelo a couple years ago. Great people, I'll have to try and make the Tuesday ride. What is the pace/terrain like?

Originally Posted by 4score
Hey Vince...I'm sorta new too, but live in Auburn. A lot of riders have 30 mile-ish rides from Victory Velo in Downtown Auburn. There's also a nice group that goes on a Happy Hour ride Tuesday evenings at 6 PM (20-ish miles). Here's the email I received..."Don't forget about the Tuesday night Happy Hour Ride at the Club Car. We had about 19 folks join us last week and it was a gas. Cameron, for those of you who don't know, has graced us with a lullaby song for his daughter that I can't seem to get out of my head all week. "B double E double R U N BeerRun. All you need is a ten and a fiver, keys to the car and a sober driver. BeerRun." Now imagine his best Tim Mcgraw twang impersonation. Funny stuff. Leaves the shop around 6pm...." Most hit the Club Car for a burger and a beer afterwards. The trick is to do just enough riding in the nearby hills to justify the burger/beer!

Last edited by vincejohnston; 06-22-10 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling sux...
Old 06-23-10, 09:01 AM
4score

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went last evening and it was pretty casual. Of course those that wanted to push at times, simply waited for the group at the top of climbs. Chris, the leader, kept reminding people to slow it down at times. We went about 20-25 miles. The best part was the beer and burger at the end!!

Hey 4score, I actually bought my Bianchi from VictoryVelo a couple years ago. Great people, I'll have to try and make the Tuesday ride. What is the pace/terrain like?
Old 04-07-11, 02:13 PM
4score

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's another Sacramento Bee article about a ride to see a few foothill wineries (just a few sips). Sounds fun. Maybe a ride to get a group together and do.

https://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/07/353...p-is-more.html
Old 05-22-11, 11:21 PM
diverkiwi

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like fun!
Maybe once I build up my distance and climbing
Old 05-28-11, 09:26 AM
4score

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Victory Velo Tuesday 6 PM rides are back on. Last Tuesday there must have been over 30 riders!