Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:16 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An update, moved to a jones bar on the fargo.

Fargo on Chandler Ridge by mbeganyi, on Flickr
Old 10-03-14, 07:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Hi, I realise its completely subjective, like with seats, but what are your impressions of the Jones bars. I've looked at the various models and wondered about them. Your impressions of them vs drops. I like the look of the cowbells, but am curious about your take on the Jones's, views of them for predominantly off road or would road be still drops?
Anyway, would be interested in hearing how its been keeping up with the Jones's...
Old 10-05-14, 09:11 AM
judes21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noticed your photos of your loaded Vaya 3 on the forum and would love to hear how your tour went. I was pretty delighted at the trial ride I had yesterday on the Vaya but wanted to hear how it was fully loaded. Did the gearing serve you well on hills? Did you make any adjustments to the bike gearing as sold?
Any spokes broken (note it has 30 not 36 spokes). What weight were you carrying? What other bikes did you consider before settling for the Vaya?
Old 10-05-14, 09:26 AM
judes21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you enjoy your Vaya fully loaded? What weight were you carrying?
Old 10-05-14, 10:34 PM
milestonerides

Bikes: 2013 Salsa Vaya 3, 2010 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by judes21
Noticed your photos of your loaded Vaya 3 on the forum and would love to hear how your tour went. I was pretty delighted at the trial ride I had yesterday on the Vaya but wanted to hear how it was fully loaded. Did the gearing serve you well on hills? Did you make any adjustments to the bike gearing as sold?
Any spokes broken (note it has 30 not 36 spokes). What weight were you carrying? What other bikes did you consider before settling for the Vaya?
It performed superbly on my trip down from Vancouver. The bike was 70lbs fully loaded. I had a 60 / 40 front to rear weight split. The bike was solid as a rock. Like most bikes, being loaded on the front was a little getting used to but it was so comfortable on descents with no wiggle or shimmy. The gearing served me perfect but we didn't go anywhere higher than 2000ft. I was able to climb all hills without getting off. I would have preferred more options so when I got back, I swapped out the smallest chainring from 30T to 24T without changing any of the chain length. The bike gearing is perfect now. I changed out the stock handlebar tape but kept everything pretty much stock. No broken spokes although I counted 32 spokes and the old Salsa site says that the hubs are 32 holes. I considered the the Surly Disc Trucker and also Novara Randonee. Honestly, the color and my test ride really sold me on this bike.

One of my popular post on my blog is the 1000 mile review. Take a look at that and see my first impressions. I'm getting ready to publish my 5000 mile review soon since I only have a few hundred more miles to go until I hit that milestone.
Old 10-06-14, 04:09 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
Hi, I realise its completely subjective, like with seats, but what are your impressions of the Jones bars. I've looked at the various models and wondered about them. Your impressions of them vs drops. I like the look of the cowbells, but am curious about your take on the Jones's, views of them for predominantly off road or would road be still drops?
Anyway, would be interested in hearing how its been keeping up with the Jones's...
Honestly, I like both. I had the Woodchippers on the fargo, and I have (and love the cowbell2 on my indy fab randonneuring / light touring / go everywhere bike.

The jones bars are comfortable on and off road. Surprised, as I usually get hand pain with a 'flat bar' over longer distances. I did work hard to use the chippers - totally workable off road, and for certain types of terrain just about perfect (for me) for and all around gravel / trail / road / touring bike. But, our trails here are always rocky / rooty / wet - not a lot of buffed out singletrack. So the leverage one gets with the jones or straight bar is appreciated.

And, there are more options for packing - one can go wider with the front roll and not jam things into the space between the hoods and levers.

Jones Bar on the Fargo by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Minnie Baker Trail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

So far so good. Will learn more over the next couple of months with some short over nighters and hopefully something longer next year.
Old 10-06-14, 07:40 AM
djb

Thanks, will be interesting to read your thoughts on them over time as you do more rides. Cheers
Old 10-06-14, 02:39 PM
dickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my Florida tour last winter. No rear rack mounts, used clamps with success with ~50lbs of gear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Voodoo Wazoo 2.jpg (94.5 KB, 564 views)
Old 10-06-14, 03:51 PM
Dream Cyclery
Wheel Builder

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lextek
My Surly Straggler ready for my first overnighter.
Your setup is very similar to mine. I too, use my cross bike with a rackless configuration. Except I use full-size frame bag. How much does your setup weigh?
Old 10-06-14, 07:55 PM
Lextek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dream Cyclery
Your setup is very similar to mine. I too, use my cross bike with a rackless configuration. Except I use full-size frame bag. How much does your setup weigh?
It weighed 42lbs. Full load: tent, sleeping bag, pad, footprint, extra clothes, shoes, Jetboil, external battery for iPhone, Nightrider headlamp, food, Black Diamond lantern and toothbrush. It didn't ride that heavy.
Old 10-06-14, 09:25 PM
Dream Cyclery
Wheel Builder

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks great. Thanks.
Old 10-11-14, 01:43 PM
crashmo
Shaven Sasquatch

Bikes: Salsa Colossal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just set up the wider bars (48cm Noodle) on the 54-26 LHT. Love this bike!
Dig those panniers and trunk bag -- just scored those and the rack for $40 off CL.
Old 10-14-14, 11:12 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently on tour in southern Utah, this weekend me and my sweet girl solo'd the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. What an awesome ride.
Attached Images
2014-10-14 23.09.19.jpg (100.5 KB, 660 views)
Old 10-14-14, 11:12 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
2014-10-14 23.16.28.jpg (101.7 KB, 726 views)

Last edited by psy; 10-14-14 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 06:46 PM
dickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy ****. That's awesome.
Old 10-22-14, 11:38 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I've ever posted this here as a touring bike. It's on light errand and commuting duty right now, I've got a full set of Arkel bags that go on when I want to really carry stuff- but when I'm not carrying anything they're just big expensive parachutes. I'm looking forward to carrying camp/touring gear in the basket rather than relying on bungees for EVERYTHING attached to the top/rear. I've got like five different wheels laced up to those DT TK540s- they're my favorite rim. Generator hub with an AXO headlight (plus taillight) with a USB port for charging gizmos. The frame has horizontal dropouts- the rear derailer is attached via an adapter. Disc brakes are nice for touring, but people skimp on cables and housing- for the love of heck, don't use the typical spiral wound brake housing, get something reinforced and low compression like Jagwire Pro.

Attached Images
IMAG0067.jpg (101.4 KB, 605 views)
IMAG0068.jpg (106.2 KB, 527 views)
IMAG0072.jpg (108.0 KB, 520 views)
Old 10-23-14, 02:14 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Krampus shakedown by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Moved from the fargo to a Surly Krampus.
Old 10-23-14, 04:49 AM
djb

Neat, read up on the krampus, like how they describe it being in between a 29 and a chubbykins. Have fun in the leafy goodness with it on those 3 inchers.
Old 10-23-14, 07:21 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
Neat, read up on the krampus, like how they describe it being in between a 29 and a chubbykins. Have fun in the leafy goodness with it on those 3 inchers.
loving it...

Krampus session in the local woods by mbeganyi, on Flickr
Old 10-23-14, 07:41 AM
rocketsocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Enigma Etape loaded for a weekend away. Using an Ortlieb drybag instead of panniers, has kept the loaded weight down to around 24lb.
Attached Images
image.jpg (101.0 KB, 397 views)
Old 10-23-14, 10:22 AM
Nick The Beard

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Torker U-District

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike

Krampus shakedown by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Moved from the fargo to a Surly Krampus.
As soon as a buddy hands over the cash for some unused music equipment, I'm ordering the same. Looking at my calendar that means I should be getting my Krampus about 3 weeks ago.

Any comparisons between the Fargo and Krampus specifically in regards to off road touring?
Old 10-23-14, 10:48 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick The Beard
As soon as a buddy hands over the cash for some unused music equipment, I'm ordering the same. Looking at my calendar that means I should be getting my Krampus about 3 weeks ago.

Any comparisons between the Fargo and Krampus specifically in regards to off road touring?
I was intrigued by the 29+ wheel idea for the front of my Fargo (the fork will fit a Knard on a Rabbit Hole just fine)... so I was asking around the guys at my local shop to borrow a wheel. They all have different axle / fork setups, so that was a no go, but they released this bike at a sweet price to me... so I test rode it and loved it. Differences? Way more like a mountain bike, less like a touring bike (the Fargo was somewhere in between...). Higher BB means I can run 29r wheels and tires without worrying too much about pedal strike (still higher off the ground than the Fargo was).

I had already moved from the dropbars to Jones bars on the Fargo - so that wasn't a big difference - but the 3" tires really soak up the rough stuff and they roll surprisingly well on the hardback and dirt roads. Pumped up they roll like a MTB tire once you get them up to speed. I need to convert to tubeless and save some rolling weight, and I have a carbon fork that is really close to the AC and offset of the stock fork, and fits the knards... so that will cut another pound or more upfront.

First short trip will be in the next week or so. But loaded up for a shakedown ride I like it.
Old 10-23-14, 06:31 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Dude! You take your cat with you? That's frackin' awesome....love it!
Old 10-27-14, 06:23 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I love my Jone's bars. I encourage others to give them a shot!

Old 10-31-14, 01:29 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts

2014 Novara Safari, with added Blackburn Outpost Front Rack, Seattle Sports Fast Pack panniers front & rear, Avenir Handlebar Bag and Rack Trunk Bag, Avid BB-7 disc brakes and Planet Bike fenders.
Attached Images
image1 (2).JPG (60.0 KB, 746 views)
image2 (2).JPG (64.0 KB, 681 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.