Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hollowtech II bb questions?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 06:16 PM
Mondo734

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, so here's the run down. I am almost done building my 2007 jamis nova and have some bb questions. The crankset is the deore Triple model with the 48t large chainring.
1.Does cup with the tube always go on the drive side?
2.Do all 68mm bb shells require 2 spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non-drive side? (using the 2.5 mm spacers)
Old 06-28-15, 06:54 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
The cup with the left hand thread goes on the drive side. The tube was probably stuck in that one when new in the box, but it doesn't matter which cup it is stuck in. It will be stuck in both cups when installed.
For a 68mm shell if the bike does not have an e type derailleur, two spacers drive side, one spacer non drive side.
Old 06-28-15, 07:13 PM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The specific spacer combo you ask about is standard for Shimano Triple cranksets on Hollowtech II. Different spacer combos are necessary for other brands, other BBs, and for Shimano double cranksets. (No spacers on Shimano double.)
Old 06-28-15, 08:05 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay so do the cups only thread onto one side? I mean is it possible to put them on the wrong side and if so what would that do? Honestly, I'm pretty confident I did it right but just curious.

As for the spacers, I tried doing it the way shimano's instructions said, but in that configuration I couldn't get the fd (Deore m591) to shift onto the largest chainring. In the end I put two spacers on the non Drive side and one on the drive side and that configuration allowed me to adjust the fd. Do you guys see any potential problem with this setup?
Old 06-28-15, 09:40 PM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
Okay so do the cups only thread onto one side? I mean is it possible to put them on the wrong side and if so what would that do? Honestly, I'm pretty confident I did it right but just curious.
The two BB cups are threaded in opposite directions. They are also usually labeled L & R. It's pretty difficult to get it wrong.

As for the spacers, I tried doing it the way shimano's instructions said, but in that configuration I couldn't get the fd (Deore m591) to shift onto the largest chainring. In the end I put two spacers on the non Drive side and one on the drive side and that configuration allowed me to adjust the fd. Do you guys see any potential problem with this setup?
Did you adjust the limit screws on your FD? It's possible that this crankset has a different spindle length than your previous crankset. I would take it apart and do it correctly, being sure to adjust the limit screws on your FD. The spacers are there for a reason.
Old 06-28-15, 10:31 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skimaxpower
The two BB cups are threaded in opposite directions. They are also usually labeled L & R. It's pretty difficult to get it wrong.

Did you adjust the limit screws on your FD? It's possible that this crankset has a different spindle length than your previous crankset. I would take it apart and do it correctly, being sure to adjust the limit screws on your FD. The spacers are there for a reason.
Okay upon further inspection I did (as I suspected) place the cups in the correct sides. As for the spacers I thought those were simply to help you get the proper chain line? Do the spacers serve another purpose?

Last edited by Mondo734; 06-29-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 01:40 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could the reason I couldn't get the fd to shift to the big chainring is that the bike is a road/cx frame (using a mtb bb and crankset on a road frame)? I tried adjusting the fd for a few hours and couldn't get it, but once I swapped the spacers so that there was 1 ds and 2 nds I was able to get it adjusted rather easily?
Old 06-29-15, 06:55 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Okay upon further inspection I did (as I suspected) place the cups in the correct sides. As for the spacers I thought those were simply to help you get the proper chain line? Do the spacers serve another purpose?
The bottom bracket and crank are made to fit a 73mm bottom bracket with an e type derailleur. Any thing less than that requires spacers to bring it to the required width and chainline.
There are 3 spacers because, 68mm shell without e type requires one spacer non drive side, two spacers right side. With e type, eliminate one spacer drive side. 73mm without e type, one spacer drive side, with e type, no spacers.