Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

rim brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 08:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I feel you. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a high quality penny farthing. The inexorable tide of safety bicycles seems to be taking over. I'd expect people here on BikeForums to agree with my opinion that the tried and true penny farthing is superior, but apparently that's not the case. Oh, well. I'll keep searching.
Try Mike Wolfe.

And you don't have to feel for me. I already have an awesome rim brake bike.

That I built myself.
Old 09-08-23, 09:08 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Is yourTrek Domane made in the USA ? And Chinese carbon made wheels don't equal Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and Hed regarding quality and reliability. USA made Treks were of better quality than the ones made in Taiwan or in China.
I think my Domane is made in Taiwan...at least the frame anyway. Components might be assembled at the Trek Factory in WI. I'm not really sure though.

Light Bicycle, BTLOS, Elite Carbon and Nextie carbon wheels are just as good as Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and HED.
Old 09-08-23, 11:25 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I think my Domane is made in Taiwan...at least the frame anyway. Components might be assembled at the Trek Factory in WI. I'm not really sure though.

Light Bicycle, BTLOS, Elite Carbon and Nextie carbon wheels are just as good as Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and HED.
Problem is that Light Bicycle, BTLOS, Elite Carbon and Nextie carbon wheels ED doesn't have the same quality of build than Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and HED and I am sure it is the same for spokes. DT and Sapim spokes are superior in quality to chinese or taiwanese made spokes. Light Bicyle use DT hubs, a good thing with BTLOS you can choose the hub you want, Elite Wheels are used by team Kranj but no mention about the hub they use and Nextie proposes only disc brakes rims using nextie or DT hubs. Those brands are new to the carbon wheel market, I could also have cited Mavic, Roval, Enve, Corima, DT and Reynolds wheels which are quality wise much better products even though not the same price .
Old 09-08-23, 01:12 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
On the topic of build vs buy and cost -

Tarmac SL8 Pro - Ultegra Di2 = $8500

To build the same bike yourself, you'd need to spend $9335:

Tarmac SL8 framset = $3500
Robal Rapide CL II carbon wheels = $1750
S-Works Turbo, 2BR tires = $160
S-Works ultralight tubes = $16
Roval Rapide handlebar = $300
Body Geometry Power Pro saddle (hope you're sitting down for this...) = $325
Supercaz Super Sticky Kush tape = $45
Shimano Ultegra R8170 Di2 12sp disc brake groupset (crankset, FD, RD, shifters, brake calipers/hoses, chain, cassette) = $3084.99
Shimano threaded BB = $35
Shimano Ultegra RT-CL800 centerlock disc rotors = $120

There might be some savings in there if you get a deal on something, but you'd either be spending an extra $835, or downgrading something.
in many cases, building a bike involves moving wheels and groupsets over from other builds, and not buying everything at once.
Old 09-08-23, 01:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
On the topic of build vs buy and cost ...
List or street prices for the components?
Old 09-08-23, 02:06 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
List or street prices for the components?
Those are all current "buy now" prices, but Specialized has cut out the middle man and passed the savings on to themselves, so as far as I'm aware, street prices are list prices for them, particularly on something like the Tarmac SL8.

The Shimano stuff seems a little more variable. The pricing above for that groupset is from Chain Reaction.
Old 09-08-23, 02:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think the bike shortages of the last couple of years really accelerated the demise of the rim brake. They might have carried on a little longer without that. Even if companies had them in their lineup, I imagine they didn't make many of them. If I was buying a new road bike from stock bike, it would not be rim brake. I have a number of frames that I'm getting ready to build that are for rim brakes though.

My mountain bike would be stock if I didn't have the strange desire to use a dynohub on it. Which, in my defense, has saved me a couple of times when I underestimated how long it would take me to finish a ride. That started a cascade of changes, because I ordered a silver hub by mistake. So I got a new rear hub to match. And I decided if I was going to go with a new hub, I would convert to through axle.
Old 09-08-23, 02:53 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Is yourTrek Domane made in the USA ? And Chinese carbon made wheels don't equal Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and Hed regarding quality and reliability. USA made Treks were of better quality than the ones made in Taiwan or in China.
And you know this how, precisely?? Do you have some particular qualifications when it comes to assessing the integrity of bicycle frames and wheels?
Old 09-09-23, 09:23 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by badger1
And you know this how, precisely?? Do you have some particular qualifications when it comes to assessing the integrity of bicycle frames and wheels?
I have used some wheel brands that I should never have purchased (araya, alesa, alex rims, rigida, spinergy) and it taught me to stick for the very best and buy the very best. See what the pros use and which wheels brands on the market are the most reputed on the market, I often have the discussions with my bike tech that works on bikes over 35 years about wheels who isn't advising purchasing unknown brands. .I have been into bikes very young and when I was into road bike racing from 1996 to 1999 and later mountainbiking, I always checked at what was the grade of the tubing used in the frame, how well finished was the lugs bazing, the filet brazing or the welding regarding bike frames. As for frames everyone knows how well built were made USA made Treks just an example for sale 2004 Trek USA 1200 56cm C-T Alpha SL Superlight Aluminum Road Bike Frame CLEAN. Trek of todays are very good bikes , I don't deny it but it is not the same thing as the old ones made in the USA.
Trek was back in the days one of the biggest users of True Temper and Easton tubings which defined Trek's quality for many years. And same with the Alpha Aluminium SL, SLR, ZX and OLCV110-120HC carbon frames. Now you just see Alpha aluminium on Treks aluminium frames and no made in USA, afterall it happened also with Cannondale who until they made their CAAD8 Optimo frames which were the best aluminium frames you could buy alongwith Klein. Probably cutting costs for a cheaper and quicker manufacturing was the reason to made frames inTaiwan.

Last edited by georges1; 09-09-23 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-09-23, 02:38 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have used some wheel brands that I should never have purchased (araya, alesa, alex rims, rigida, spinergy) and it taught me to stick for the very best and buy the very best. See what the pros use and which wheels brands on the market are the most reputed on the market, I often have the discussions with my bike tech that works on bikes over 35 years about wheels who isn't advising purchasing unknown brands. .I have been into bikes very young and when I was into road bike racing from 1996 to 1999 and later mountainbiking, I always checked at what was the grade of the tubing used in the frame, how well finished was the lugs bazing, the filet brazing or the welding regarding bike frames. As for frames everyone knows how well built were made USA made Treks just an example for sale 2004 Trek USA 1200 56cm C-T Alpha SL Superlight Aluminum Road Bike Frame CLEAN. Trek of todays are very good bikes , I don't deny it but it is not the same thing as the old ones made in the USA.
Trek was back in the days one of the biggest users of True Temper and Easton tubings which defined Trek's quality for many years. And same with the Alpha Aluminium SL, SLR, ZX and OLCV110-120HC carbon frames. Now you just see Alpha aluminium on Treks aluminium frames and no made in USA, afterall it happened also with Cannondale who until they made their CAAD8 Optimo frames which were the best aluminium frames you could buy alongwith Klein. Probably cutting costs for a cheaper and quicker manufacturing was the reason to made frames inTaiwan.
So no qualifications just opinions.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-09-23, 03:06 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Sure. Among "normal" people.

I would think most people here on this Forum would build their own. Especially if they want to use parts that are now considered anomalous, like rim brakes.

Like I said, I haven't bought a bike off the rack since the mid-80s--really before I fully understood bikes--and most of the cyclists I've known are shop personnel who would never consider buying off the rack. I also forgot (how could I?) how cheap people on this Forum are. Obviously, my views are tainted by my own experiences. I apologize for thinking more people on this Forum would prefer to build for themselves.

Carry on everyone, searching in growing vain for the increasingly elusive off-the-rack rim-brake bike.
But normal people are in far greater number than the not normal crowd, even here.

We use to have a couple of websites that showed statistics of this sort of stuff, but both now require paid memberships, but when I was able to view the statistics about 4 or 5 years ago I remember reading that only 1.2% of the bikes sold in America are custom built, the rest were all factory built and equipped. While that was 4 to 5 years ago, I doubt much has changed in that regard other than Ebikes taking a huge uptick in sales could be undermining the sales of custom bikes? That would seem to make sense since really only the older population pays for expensive custom built bikes, but now that the baby boomers are getting older they are looking into and buying more Ebikes. But without seeing the actual statistics I'm guessing, and I'm not going to pay to see the statistics just to report an answer here. If someone else is a member of one of those statistics sites maybe they can tell us.
Old 09-09-23, 03:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
​​​
Problem is that Light Bicycle, BTLOS, Elite Carbon and Nextie carbon wheels ED doesn't have the same quality of build than Bontrager, Zipp, Boyd and HED and I am sure it is the same for spokes. DT and Sapim spokes are superior in quality to chinese or taiwanese made spokes. Light Bicyle use DT hubs, a good thing with BTLOS you can choose the hub you want, Elite Wheels are used by team Kranj but no mention about the hub they use and Nextie proposes only disc brakes rims using nextie or DT hubs. Those brands are new to the carbon wheel market, I could also have cited Mavic, Roval, Enve, Corima, DT and Reynolds wheels which are quality wise much better products even though not the same price .
So much misinformation and generalization that it's probably not worth responding to every bad take.

But here are some responses...
- you generalize and offer up nothing of substance to defend your claims that one group doesn't have the same build quality as another group.
- btlos and light both offer a ton of options to spec wheels how each person wants. It's pretty cool, actually.
- Sapim and Pillar(btlos offered spokes) are not junk. They are not poorly made. You are just making baseless claims if you think they are bad. You even mention Sapim as good, and btlos offers them, but you still include btlos as a brand that can't be trusted/isn't great. They offer DT hubs, which you like, they offer sapim spokes, which you like, but the wheels don't have the same quality as a bunch of brands you mention.
Excuse me if I view your post as worthless.
- Zipp wheels have been notoriously inconsistent in build quality. It goes back 15 years at least. Zipp hubs have long been a commonly referenced joke when it comes to quality.
- Mavic is a has been wheel brand right now. What is Mavic offering that fundamentally changes wheel quality and performance? Seriously, it's a has been wheel brand that lived on its name and continued to offer old tech for way longer than it should have.
Old 09-09-23, 03:37 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

My poorly made carbon wheels with carbon spokes on my crappy pool finished Taiwanese frame.
Old 09-09-23, 04:20 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
​​​

So much misinformation and generalization that it's probably not worth responding to every bad take.

But here are some responses...
- you generalize and offer up nothing of substance to defend your claims that one group doesn't have the same build quality as another group.
- btlos and light both offer a ton of options to spec wheels how each person wants. It's pretty cool, actually.
- Sapim and Pillar(btlos offered spokes) are not junk. They are not poorly made. You are just making baseless claims if you think they are bad. You even mention Sapim as good, and btlos offers them, but you still include btlos as a brand that can't be trusted/isn't great. They offer DT hubs, which you like, they offer sapim spokes, which you like, but the wheels don't have the same quality as a bunch of brands you mention.
Excuse me if I view your post as worthless.
- Zipp wheels have been notoriously inconsistent in build quality. It goes back 15 years at least. Zipp hubs have long been a commonly referenced joke when it comes to quality.
- Mavic is a has been wheel brand right now. What is Mavic offering that fundamentally changes wheel quality and performance? Seriously, it's a has been wheel brand that lived on its name and continued to offer old tech for way longer than it should have.
Please reread what I wrote above "DT and Sapim spokes are superior in quality to chinese or taiwanese made spokes", I never wrote a bad word about Sapim so please don't imply what I have not written. If these new wheels brands were so stellar regarding quality, they would have been chosen as OEM equipment from the biggest bike brands. Please name which bike brands are using BTLOS and light as OEM wheels , I am curious to know. I will agree with you that Mavic is not what it used to be but it still sells well. As for Zipp you must be talking about these SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs (article from 2015) but the hubs and wheels have well improved over time as can attest these positive reviews, Zipp 404 Firecrest review , 2022 Zipp 404 Firecrest are deep aero wheels for all, plus Actual Weights , Zipp 303 S wheels: First ride review, 2020 Zipp 404 Road Bike Wheelset Review . This more or less contradicts your description of Zipp being notoriously inconsistent in build as well your statements of Zipp quality hubs which have long been a commonly referenced joke when it comes to quality which are not true. There was also a debate here about on opinions about Zipp Firecrest wheels. You can't generalize a wheelbrand of being bad if it is innovating and striving every day for a better quality product. At last but not least Mark Cavendish’s custom Specialized McLaren venge at the Giro used ZIPP 808s and Cavendish was a fervent user of Zipp and won races with these wheels.
Old 09-09-23, 04:48 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
Yes, but at a very minimum we will change seat, spokes, hubs, rims, tires, brake pads, bars, and tape before we ride it.
I assume that you mean you change the wheelset. Most people are not capable of building wheels themselves. Especially the new low spoke count wheels that require very high and even spoke tension. Why would you change tires before wearing out the stock pair? What would you gain by going to different brake pads unless you're going from aluminum to carbon wheels? Also why would you change handlebars when these are usually correctly sized by bike size?

Fully built factory bikes that you would want to buy almost always has components that you would be best off to wear out rather than change immediately. You would probably make incorrect changes on everything if you didn't use it all and consider carefully what to change and why.

Of course you're probably just kidding and I'm wasting my time.

I build ALL of my bikes from scratch and I usually make more compromises than the factory does. They don't have to worry if they can get specific parts and I do.
Old 09-09-23, 04:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yup, I regret posting. All you did was misunderstand my comment and inconsistently apply your own standards for 'quality'.

Please reread what I wrote above "DT and Sapim spokes are superior in quality to chinese or taiwanese made spokes", I never wrote a bad word about Sapim so please don't imply what I have not written.

I know what you said. I was pointing out that you claim btlos is an inferior brandand lower build quality, yet btlos uses hubs(DT) that you specifically call out as quality and it uses spokes(sapim) you specifically call out as quality. That's why I mentioned sapim...because btlos uses them and you say the are good. Does that clear things up?
My point was to show you that you are claiming a brand produces a lower quality wheel build even though it uses components you specifically say are good, and even though you have no actual experience with their rims or final build.
How do you not see that as absurd?

If these new wheels brands were so stellar regarding quality, they would have been chosen as OEM equipment from the biggest bike brands. Please name which bike brands are using BTLOS and light as OEM wheels , I am curious to know.
Haha, what a totally arbitrary way to measure quality.
1- Bontrager wheels have been notoriously inconsistent in quality for decades now. Decades. Not an overstatement. Yet they are an OEM brand. They are an OEM brand because Bontrager is owned by Trek so of course Trek uses that brand! My gosh, is this really not understood by you?
2- Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and many more brands have their own component brand for stock components. Of course these companies will prioritize using their brands for OEM.
3- How many brands are slapping Zipp wheels on their bikes as OEM spec? Or Boyd wheels? Or better said, what % of new bike sales included Zipp or Boyd wheels as OEM wheels? You mentioned those as great trustworthy brands, yet they arent exactly killing it in the OEM wheel world.

I will agree with you that Mavic is not what it used to be but it still sells well.
Mavic wheels still sell well? How well? Really- are all the Mavic wheel sales right by you? I don't see them anywhere around me, they are not even an afterthought on message boards or in cycling media, and they aren't exactly being spec'd as OEM wheels(remember how you just said that's a key way to determine if a wheel brand makes good wheelset?). Heck, is Mavic even being sold in the US again? They were, then weren't, then we're and shut down, then weren't, and I heard they will be in the US again, but not sure when.
Yeah sure- they still sell well. That wasn't your original reason for naming Mavic, and it also isn't even true, but why be consistent...right?

​​​​​​​As for Zipp you must be talking about these SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs (article from 2015) but the hubs and wheels have well improved over time as can attest these positive reviews, Zipp 404 Firecrest review , 2022 Zipp 404 Firecrest are deep aero wheels for all, plus Actual Weights , Zipp 303 S wheels: First ride review, 2020 Zipp 404 Road Bike Wheelset Review . This more or less contradicts your description of Zipp being notoriously inconsistent in build as well your statements of Zipp quality hubs which have long been a commonly referenced joke when it comes to quality which are not true. There was also a debate here about on opinions about Zipp Firecrest wheels.
So Zipp gets a pass for selling really expensive wheels that have a relatively high rate of poor quality, but btlos doesn't get a pass even though they don't have a reputation for having had to improve the hubs or wheel build quality?
Um...that's absurd.

You can't generalize a wheelbrand of being bad if it is innovating and striving every day for a better quality product. At last but not least Mark Cavendish’s custom Specialized McLaren venge at the Giro used ZIPP 808s and Cavendish was a fervent user of Zipp and won races with these wheels.
You did this very thing. You generalized and claimed a wheel brand is bad, even though it is continually working to improve quality and offerings/options.
Btlos has released multiple products in the last few years. They offer multiple finishes on their rims, offer multiple brake track designs for rim brakes, offer a ton of different rim profiles for various disciplines, and offer both hooked and hookless wheels.

Buddy, you need to stop. This is ignorance in full light and it isn't a good look.
Old 09-09-23, 05:38 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yup, I regret posting. All you did was misunderstand my comment and inconsistently apply your own standards for 'quality'.

I know what you said. I was pointing out that you claim btlos is an inferior brandand lower build quality, yet btlos uses hubs(DT) that you specifically call out as quality and it uses spokes(sapim) you specifically call out as quality. That's why I mentioned sapim...because btlos uses them and you say the are good. Does that clear things up?
My point was to show you that you are claiming a brand produces a lower quality wheel build even though it uses components you specifically say are good, and even though you have no actual experience with their rims or final build.
How do you not see that as absurd?

Haha, what a totally arbitrary way to measure quality.
1- Bontrager wheels have been notoriously inconsistent in quality for decades now. Decades. Not an overstatement. Yet they are an OEM brand. They are an OEM brand because Bontrager is owned by Trek so of course Trek uses that brand! My gosh, is this really not understood by you?
2- Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and many more brands have their own component brand for stock components. Of course these companies will prioritize using their brands for OEM.
3- How many brands are slapping Zipp wheels on their bikes as OEM spec? Or Boyd wheels? Or better said, what % of new bike sales included Zipp or Boyd wheels as OEM wheels? You mentioned those as great trustworthy brands, yet they arent exactly killing it in the OEM wheel world.

Mavic wheels still sell well? How well? Really- are all the Mavic wheel sales right by you? I don't see them anywhere around me, they are not even an afterthought on message boards or in cycling media, and they aren't exactly being spec'd as OEM wheels(remember how you just said that's a key way to determine if a wheel brand makes good wheelset?). Heck, is Mavic even being sold in the US again? They were, then weren't, then we're and shut down, then weren't, and I heard they will be in the US again, but not sure when.
Yeah sure- they still sell well. That wasn't your original reason for naming Mavic, and it also isn't even true, but why be consistent...right?

So Zipp gets a pass for selling really expensive wheels that have a relatively high rate of poor quality, but btlos doesn't get a pass even though they don't have a reputation for having had to improve the hubs or wheel build quality?
Um...that's absurd.

You did this very thing. You generalized and claimed a wheel brand is bad, even though it is continually working to improve quality and offerings/options.
Btlos has released multiple products in the last few years. They offer multiple finishes on their rims, offer multiple brake track designs for rim brakes, offer a ton of different rim profiles for various disciplines, and offer both hooked and hookless wheels.

Buddy, you need to stop. This is ignorance in full light and it isn't a good look.

Do BTLOS and the other newly brands have ISO certification regarding their production standards ? I don't think so but Mavic is ISO 9001, 14001 and 50001 certified. Zipp hookless rims meet specifications as outlined by ISO4210 certiification and ETRTO. Zipp also works directly with tire manufacturers to gain compatibility.
1) I am well aware about Bontrager and Trek so I am learning nothing new
2) I knew about it
3) Zipp was used by the professional Team Movistar and by other professional race teams before, they are often used by triathletes or purchased by people who want an upgrade to a standard wheel. Just in case a link about Zipp history and their achievements

Well I am in Europe and I see a lot of cyclists whether Mountain Bikers and Road Bike Racer using Mavic wheels. Maybe in the US , it is a different thing but where I am . I haven't seen Mavic retailer for USA but for Canada. Mavic list of retailers show that the Mavic are sold in most of countries, probably it will be back in the USA, I don't know. Mavic has shown enough of it know how with Cosmic Carbon and the Rsys.

That your opinion about Zipp's quality unless you had a pair of Zipp wheels which had problems, the magazine reviews I posted were more than positive about the Zipp wheels produced nowadays. When I had a problem with a brand that failed me personnally, I don't recommend it . Zipp offers also a lot of various wheels for various disciplines so what's your point ? Please keep the ignorance comment out of the discussion.
Old 09-09-23, 05:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Do BTLOS and the other newly brands have ISO certification regarding their production standards ? I don't think so but Mavic is ISO 9001, 14001 and 50001 certified. Zipp hookless rims meet specifications as outlined by ISO4210 certiification and ETRTO. Zipp also works directly with tire manufacturers to gain compatibility.
1) I am well aware about Bontrager and Trek so I am learning nothing new
2) I knew about it
3) Zipp was used by the professional Team Movistar and by other professional race teams before, they are often used by triathletes or purchased by people who want an upgrade to a standard wheel. Just in case a link about Zipp history and their achievements
I didn't post that info to ensure you knew the Bontrager trek connection. I assumed you knew it. I posted it because you asked why btlos isn't OEM for any major bike brands, so I pointed out what should be obvious to you- the major bike brands have their own in house brands for OEM components.
The only reason I mentioned that is because you couldn't manage to think of it as an answer to your own question.
But now I see you didn't even follow and understand why I posted it.

Seeing as how I don't feel like playing the moving goalposts game any longer, unless you have some actual points to make with data to support your claim that btlos makes questionable quality wheelsets, I am out on this conversation.

Well I am in Europe...
Do they have the phrase 'moving goalposts' in Europe? Cuz that is what you have repeatedly done in this conversation. You continue to change your argument or focus in something new as an argument as each prior claim is no longer worthy of discussion.
Do you guys have the game 'whack-a-mole' at fairs and arcades? Cuz that sure is how this discussion feels- you keep adjusting your argument and each gets whacked back down.
Old 09-09-23, 06:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Do BTLOS and the other newly brands have ISO certification regarding their production standards ? I don't think so but Mavic is ISO 9001, 14001 and 50001 certified.
ISO certification doesn't guarantee the quality of a product, and the lack of ISO certification doesn't mean a company produces inferior products.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-09-23, 07:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
ISO certification doesn't guarantee the quality of a product, and the lack of ISO certification doesn't mean a company produces inferior products.
what's also funny is that btlos advertises as iso/etrto compliant.
Old 09-09-23, 08:37 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
BTLOS complies with the ISO and ERTO standards for wheel sizing. These are not the same thing as ISO 9001 which is more about quality management systems and manufacturing processes.

ISO 9001 is meant to insure that production has a high level of traceability and uniformity of product. While the ISO 9001 standard can be used to produce a higher quality product it does not guarantee that a product will be of high quality.

But BTLOS does advertise that they meet EN 14781, which means they are legally able to be sold in much or Europe.The British Standards Institute provides the following summary:
BS EN 14781:2005 covers the test methods applicable in the design and manufacture of racing bikes. It was developed to ensure the strength and durability of individual parts as well as of the bicycle as a whole, demanding high quality throughout and consideration of safety aspects from the design stage onwards.

This European Standard specifies safety and performance requirements for the design, assembly and testing of racing bicycles and sub-assemblies, and lays down guidelines for manufactures instructions on the use and care of such bicycles.

BS EN 14781:2005 applies to racing bicycles intended for high-speed amateur use on public roads, and on which the saddle can be adjusted to provide a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more.
The standards for sanctioned racing events are created by the sanctioning organization, which normally means the UCI. I don't see BTLOS claiming to be UCI approved. On the other hand, my Winspace wheels are UCI approved.
Old 09-09-23, 10:07 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I'll have to look at the next large group ride I do in October, what is being ridden. I saw mostly disc brakes at the last event where there were maybe 70 cyclists. I plan on keeping my 2011 Cannondale with rim brakes and will undoubtedly upgrade the drivetrain to 11-speed (~$800) and get new rim brake clincher wheels before I get a new bike with disc brakes. My left knee could use the 11-34 cassette, have a 12-30 now. This bike will hopefully last me another 10+ years based on my mileage use. Parts will still be available, but any new bike by then will all be disc brakes. My next bike though will be an E-bike with disc brakes, probably 3-5 years away at least.
Old 09-10-23, 06:28 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Your claim was that "USA made Treks were of better quality than the ones made in Taiwan or in China." That is the claim to which I responded. Not that they were "well built", but that they were of "better quality" than those made in Taiwan or China.

You have still not provided -- in this or subsequent posts -- a single shred of evidence for this assertion.
Old 09-10-23, 06:52 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Where can I buy a new car with a manual transmission and drum brakes?
Are we talking about 4 on the floor, or 3 on the tree? I stopped buying drum brakes when they went to those new-fangled self-adjusters.
Old 09-13-23, 08:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
FTR I have BTLOS and Light Bicycle Mountain bike wheels. Harsh environment that puts them to the test. Zero issues with either. Also have numerouls friends that have Light Bicycle on their bikes. Also zero issues. Rims aren't cracking or wobbling or anything like that.

Also have a set of HED wheels on my fat bike. For a while the "big brand name" HED with all the certifications was having problems with their fat bike wheelsets cracking. ISO certification doesn't mean much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.