Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 02:18 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
You are only looking for N+1+1+1+1... Given the many hundreds of options on the market, 10% un-fugly bikes could result in you owning scores of new/used beautiful bikes. What's the problem? Where's the beef? Tig welded 4130 is a strange stage from which to judge beauty. Elmer Fudd probably wouldn't like visiting The Louvre or El Prado, imho.

Cwazy wabbit,...but a nice ride with Crossover driveline
Actually I am moving away from N+1 I am just looking
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 09-15-23, 02:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Ask her how she feels about "honed in on" versus "homed in on," and "centered around" versus "centered on," and "[anything]-centric" versus "[anything]-centered."

There are more where those came from (versus "There's more where those came from").

Word games: the very first time I played Scrabble, the first word I put down was "japan." I was challenged on the basis of allegedly having used a proper noun. Ha. (The European furniture finish that imitated the black enamel finish used on some traditional Japanese furniture, first seen in the West at the Paris International Exposition of 1867, is called a "japan" finish. The process is known as "japanning.")
She plays a variation of Scrabble on-line with some other women. You can post on the site that you are looking for someone to play against and that's how she found the women she battles. If a man responds he's almost always trying to hit on her or a scammer of some sort. It's rare that a male responder will actually play the game

There used to be a soul food/southern type restaurant near here where you could play the owner a game of Scrabble and if you beat her you won a free dinner. Mrs John never got the chance to play, though.
Old 09-15-23, 02:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Spiro T Agnew = In the United States today we have more than our share of nattering nabobs of negativism......who don't like todays' bicycles!
Old 09-15-23, 02:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I don't disagree with you about them both being in the museum. But there are plenty of things in museums that I don't find attractive. "Fountain" by Marcel Duchamp, for example.

I do disagree that technological advances are "the elephant in the room." I spent some time at a high-end bike shop yesterday, something I haven't done in years, examining up-close some of Shimano's finest wares, and I was duly impressed with the quality and workmanship. I have no doubt that the parts function beyond compare. Did I like the looks of the new parts? Nope.

...I came back to post something about Brutalism, in art and architecture. And how it doesn't work for me. Likewise, I find a lot of current bike styling reflective of Brutalist elements.
Then I was going to end with how Duchamp, who broke away from more traditional painting with "Bicycle Wheel", ending up as a dadaist was not a coincidence.

Thanks for ruining that for me.
Old 09-15-23, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Larry S immediately came to mind.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-15-23, 02:59 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Opinions should be shared only when requested.
Did anyone ask for this one?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-15-23, 03:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Speaking as a guy who spends a lot of time helping operate a steam locomotive, I've got to say much of the design work in today's world is lacking. I much prefer the Chrystler building to the glass cubes that pass for offices today. Victorian homes hold my attention far longer than the vinyl-clad pre-fab homes of today. Fountain pens write much nicer and are far more rewarding to use than plastic Bic ballpoints. I definitely prefer my automatic analog watches to anything digital. The list can go on and on.

I use an iPhone daily and have satellite TV and streaming services, so I don't feel out of touch at all. Neither do I believe that I am at all cynical. But I do appreciate what came before.
I find that I am able to appreciate good modern design and appreciate past classics. They are not mutually exclusive for me.

To say that much of modern design work is lacking sounds pretty cynical to me.
Old 09-15-23, 03:34 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I just loaded my "Ugly" bike on the bike rack and locked it up. We are traveling tomorrow morning and I take a bike so I can go ride while the wife gossips with friends and family.
I really didn't expect this much attention to me thinking out loud .
Old 09-15-23, 03:40 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not all modern bikes are ugly, just like not all modern things are ugly....but I will have to say that modern cars, pick - up trucks and SUVs are uglier than that ones from 30 -40 years ago. I just love the look of the older boxy square shaped body trucks.
Apart from design classics from the likes of Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW etc most ordinary 3-box cars of the 70s and 80s were pretty dire and their modem equivalents are light years ahead in all respects, including looks. Trucks are just trucks. But I do quite like American Muscle cars from the past.
Old 09-15-23, 03:45 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
To say that much of modern design work is lacking sounds pretty cynical to me.
Spoken like a true cynic.
Old 09-15-23, 04:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I have equipment that I maintain that tension the chain by flexing the sheet metal housing down 1/16th of an inch, instead of a chain tensioner older version uses a chain tensioner modern manufacturing
Okay. What does this have to do with bicycles?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-23, 04:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
You are only looking for N+1+1+1+1... Given the many hundreds of options on the market, 10% un-fugly bikes could result in you owning scores of new/used beautiful bikes. What's the problem? Where's the beef? Tig welded 4130 is a strange stage from which to judge beauty. Elmer Fudd probably wouldn't like visiting The Louvre or El Prado, imho.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Larry S immediately came to mind.
"Hey, guys, I want to run my chain from a chainwheel on the right side to a fixed sprocket on the left side. Thoughts?"
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-15-23, 04:29 PM
indyfabz

Malarkey. IMO, massive attention is not only what you expected, but craved.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-15-23, 04:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
"Hey, guys, I want to run my chain from a chainwheel on the right side to a fixed sprocket on the left side. Thoughts?"
You have to be ready for rabbit holes.
ahhhhhh, that's all folks
Old 09-15-23, 04:32 PM
indyfabz

POTD
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-15-23, 07:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I just loaded my "Ugly" bike on the bike rack and locked it up. We are traveling tomorrow morning and I take a bike so I can go ride while the wife gossips with friends and family.
Really? A member for approximately 15 years and thought starting a thread about the aesthetics of steel bike would not feed the vocal traditionalist which dominate these forums. You don’t expect us to believe this do you?
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-15-23, 07:58 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
You mean people are actually taking this seriously? I figured it was a BF version of a bull session or water balloon fight.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-15-23, 08:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
... a thread about the aesthetics of steel bike would not feed the vocal traditionalist which dominate these forums.
Old 09-15-23, 08:16 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I vividly remember sitting in my Yonkers apartment watching the game on TV when Reggie Jackson smashed that final home run hit (of three) in the 1977 World Series. The PA system played We Are The Champions as he circled the bases. That was a moment.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-16-23, 06:59 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I personally can appreciate the better examples of pretty much any vintage of bike. What I do find realy ugly are the bikes that folks build up with uncut steerers and huge stacks of spacers, especially when there is a stack of spacers under the stem and then a bunch more on top. High bars with old style gooseneck stems were a little ugly, but not so offensive as the uncut stems and stacks of spacers.
Old 09-16-23, 12:35 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
My current Raleigh is a modern bike with retro styling. Would you'all say that its a good looking bike?

Likes For George Mann:
Old 09-17-23, 01:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
In 2019 on my 2 month car/bike trip, I was in some fabulous museums with ANCIENT artifacts. The Hirshhorn modern art galley in DC was 99% a POS. The front had pathetic industrial ship metal pieces. LOL. There was a curved wall over 100 feet that had ropes GLUED to it. Some of the GIANT "paintings" looked like somebodies house wall painted with a roller. ART !!!! LOL hahahahaha
On the way out I said to some people, don't bother. LOL

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-17-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-23, 02:39 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I own four Surly bikes I like them because they’re simple tig welded steel bikes. I like lugged bikes as well, I used to own a Colnago Master it had wonderful simple lugs, the issue is that for many years lugs became the point especially for UK bikes. They turned into these intricate hand cut monstrosities that I just don’t like. There are some wonderfully simple carbon bikes out there, then there’s the Pinarello, Ridley, Scott, and Cannondale some are simply ugly and others the proportions are just wrong. I’m not a big fan of modern hydrofomed aluminum, I know it has benefits but it lost the cool big pipe aesthetic I liked.
Old 09-17-23, 03:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I attended a couple races this weekend.

Every likes different stuff I know, but to me, ta lot of the bikes I saw were absolutely representative of the idea that form follows function, and a really well-designed form has an esthetic of its own.

A lot of those bikes were just crazy beautiful. Designed to go fast but they looked so good doing it (or actually, in the parking lot before and between race, but you know ... )

Whatever. I like to go to vintage car shows, hot rod shows, and I like to go to auto races to see cars that look like space ships or sci-fi submarines which can stop, go, and turn better than any car ever built in the past.

On another hand, hard to beat a Lamborghini Miura .....