Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap Alternative To Brooks Saddles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheap Alternative To Brooks Saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 09:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Anymore, I'm not sure what the point is in buying a knock-off. Get the real thing.
Or, if you buy the alternative, let us know how it works out. Especially if it doesn't and you get a Brooks for comparison next time.
Old 10-04-23, 10:32 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I bought Cardiff saddle a little while ago. Haven't tried it yet.

Saddles - Cardiff Ltd. - Bicycle Accessories
Old 10-04-23, 10:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Brooks saddles look old-fashioned. Like, from the 1930s.

And heavy.
Old 10-04-23, 10:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

And heavy.
Just like steel bike frames.
Old 10-04-23, 11:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
???? steel is not heavy if it is a nice frame, just like aluminum in not light if it is a cheap frame

Old 10-04-23, 11:37 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
Sure, some steel frames look like they're from the 1930s. The ones with super-long wheelbases where you can put a fist between the rear tire and the seat tube, and forks with 4 inches of trail.
Old 10-04-23, 12:02 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
I have several B17s and a Velo Orange Touring Saddle (buffalo hyde). I bought the VO because I was looking for a "cheaper alternative" like the OP.

Now that my VO is broken in, I like it alot. It is every bit as comfortable as any saddle I've ever used. That said, breaking it in was a lesson in futility. It was so hard, and the leather is so thick, that I couldn't hardly stand riding for any distance. It was more painful than any new Brooks I've ever had. After trying to break it in the normal way (maybe over as long as a couple years) I finally put it on my indoor trainer. I ride my trainer for 30 minutes of intervals at a time, 1 - 2 times a week, and I figured I could tolerate it for that long and then have a few days for my sit bones to recover. After being on the bike trainer for 10+ years of consistent use it's finally broken in and comfortable.

Good luck with your "cheaper alternative."
I admire your persistence.
Old 10-04-23, 01:50 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Brooks was already an old company in the 1930s. From Brooks' website:
Our workshops have been crafting Brooks iconic leather saddles for more than 150 years.
Old 10-04-23, 06:36 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I have two Brooks saddles - a B17 on my Dahon and a C15 Cambium on my Giant gravel bike. I personally prefer the not leather C15, as it is incredibly comfortable even on distances of up to 300km in a day. It's also totally weatherproof.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 10-04-23, 07:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Nobody can really see the saddle while you're riding, so what's the problem, other than at the coffee shop?
Old 10-04-23, 07:54 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Nobody can really see the saddle while you're riding, so what's the problem, other than at the coffee shop?
I don’t just look at a bike when I’m riding it. What’s the problem?
Old 10-05-23, 12:34 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I love my Brooks (B17 and Swift) but I like my Berthoud even more, but it is a lot more than the brooks, but it is rebuildable https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/527-lea...lor-black.html
The reason I didn’t bring up Berthoud is the cost, if the OP is looking for a cheap Brooks they’re not going to stretch to the 200+ to get a Berthoud
Old 10-05-23, 09:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
???? steel is not heavy if it is a nice frame, just like aluminum in not light if it is a cheap frame
Yes, steel is still heavy even if it is a nice frame. This is all relative, and a quiality steel frame is simply heavier than a quality aluminum frame, with both being heavier than a quality carbon frame. And by 'quality', I mean intended to be light. I say this as a disclaimer so that some nerd doesnt come in and say 'but but heavier frames can be quality if they are intended for a specific purpose!' Yes, thats true, no, that isnt what squirt was referring to and not what I am discussing.

A quality steel road frame in a mid-size will likely weigh 1500g if it is from a builder willing to really work to make weight the priority AND the frame is not production.
A quality aluminum road frame in mid-size will likely weigh 1100g.
A quality carbon frame in mid-size can get down to 585g(specialized Aethos S-works in size 56). Thats a production frame.

Thats over 2 pounds difference between a custom mid-sized steel road frame that is not production(since production will require it to be heavier/sturdier) and a production carbon road frame.
Now is when some other nerds start googling to find a random steel frame that weighs 1300g or something like that. Cool, thats still over 1.5 pounds heavier than the production carbon road frame in a mid-size that I mentioned.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-05-23, 10:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I've had some Gyes saddles that were quite nice. A bit hard at first (that protective,waterproof fabric on the bottom keeps them stiffer, longer). One I had was probably the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned. At least it would have been if it had a cut out, the lack of which really only started to bother me after an hour + in the saddle. I've long thought about trying to make a cut out in it and try it again, but lack of knowhow, pattern, and probably appropriate tools have kept me from it so far.

Old 10-05-23, 11:05 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, steel is still heavy even if it is a nice frame. This is all relative, and a quiality steel frame is simply heavier than a quality aluminum frame, with both being heavier than a quality carbon frame. And by 'quality', I mean intended to be light. I say this as a disclaimer so that some nerd doesnt come in and say 'but but heavier frames can be quality if they are intended for a specific purpose!' Yes, thats true, no, that isnt what squirt was referring to and not what I am discussing.

A quality steel road frame in a mid-size will likely weigh 1500g if it is from a builder willing to really work to make weight the priority AND the frame is not production.
A quality carbon frame in mid-size can get down to 585g(specialized Aethos S-works in size 56). Thats a production frame.

Thats over 2 pounds difference between a custom mid-sized steel road frame that is not production(since production will require it to be heavier/sturdier) and a production carbon road frame.
Now is when some other nerds start googling to find a random steel frame that weighs 1300g or something like that. Cool, thats still over 1.5 pounds heavier than the production carbon road frame in a mid-size that I mentioned.

...I weigh 230 pounds. Why would I care ?
Old 10-05-23, 11:37 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've ridden Brooks, Persons, Leppers, Sella Italia, Selle Anatomica, Tops and Gyes.

Last Brooks broke in asymmetrically. Love my two Persons No. 77 Deluxe - sadly, they don't seem to be available anymore. The Gyes TI-17A rides nice with exquisite workmanship. I like the Selle Anatomicas (have 3) and as a bonus they have consumer-replaceable tops should it ever come to that. The Lepper Tourer and Sella Italia Eopca - pretty, but the derriere says meh. The Tops was junk.
Generally speaking, if your Brooks broke in asymmetrically, the seat was most likely too high, causing you to sit to one side to compensate. I had the same issue. Once I realized it, I dropped the saddle, and that fixed the issue. Many miles later the saddle is broken in symmetrically. The drop in saddle height also greatly increased the comfort of the saddle.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-05-23, 12:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

My main point was to avoid the over generalized "steel is always heavier"
it is always hard to to a real comparison, as an example the Aethos is designed for light weight so is on the extreme
I think we all make too much of frame weight alone and of course discount personal weight
Overall bike weight is more component dependent
I am not sure prod vs custom makes as much difference as you think, depends more on the builder. also ,it was not hard back in the day to get a sub 19 lb steel production bike
did not weigh my kirk custom, but it certainly is lighter than my team miyata (which were not known as light)

as long a we ride it make no real difference

Old 10-05-23, 12:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I weigh 230 pounds. Why would I care ?
I am not saying you would, or you should.
But your weight is of no consequence to the comment I was responding to.
Old 10-05-23, 12:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I am not saying you would, or you should.
But your weight is of no consequence to the comment I was responding to.
...OK. But please, no fat shaming. This and the general comfort I've had on Brooks Pro saddles is the reason I'm willing to put up with the extra weight of them.
Old 10-05-23, 01:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

My main point was to avoid the over generalized "steel is always heavier"
it is always hard to to a real comparison, as an example the Aethos is designed for light weight so is on the extreme
I think we all make too much of frame weight alone and of course discount personal weight
Overall bike weight is more component dependent
I am not sure prod vs custom makes as much difference as you think, depends more on the builder. also ,it was not hard back in the day to get a sub 19 lb steel production bike
did not weigh my kirk custom, but it certainly is lighter than my team miyata (which were not known as light)

as long a we ride it make no real difference
- It isnt 'over generalized' though, when equal quality/use/goal is considered. Its quite accurate, actually.
- Yes the Aethos is designed to be lightweight...the steel and aluminum frame weights I cited are also designed and built to be lightweight. See what I did?...I compared frames with similar quality/use/goal.
- You may feel like too much emphasis is placed on frame weight, but that doesnt make your prior comment true - "steel is not heavy if it is a nice frame"
- Agreed, the majority of bike weight is in components and therefore frame weight differences are reduced when taken as part of an overall bicycle. Again though, that has nothing to do with your comment that I initially disagreed with and responded to.
- Production vs custom absolutely has a huge impact on steel frame weights. 20 minutes reading about it would explain why, but Ill give you the synopsis- production steel frames(and forks) must meet failure testing standards that require the frames to be beefed up to pass. Beef = weight. Custom bikes are not subject to this, therefore they can be made lighter.
- A sub19# bike 'back in the day' is neat. That has no bearing on what you claimed though. 19# is relatively heavy.
- Cool that your Kirk is lighter than your Miyata. Once more, that has nothing to do with what you claimed and I responded to.

I own half a dozen steel road bikes and 1 aluminum road bike. 0 carbon. My comment earlier wasnt trashing steel, I love steel bikes. My comment earlier was simply corrected an incorrect claim. None of your comments in response to my correction support your initial comment.
Old 10-05-23, 01:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...OK. But please, no fat shaming. This and the general comfort I've had on Brooks Pro saddles is the reason I'm willing to put up with the extra weight of them.
I didnt fat shame and dont plan to fat shame.
Old 10-05-23, 01:17 PM
Bluejohn

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Sure, some steel frames look like they're from the 1930s. The ones with super-long wheelbases where you can put a fist between the rear tire and the seat tube, and forks with 4 inches of trail.
Sounds like my ideal sort of bike
Old 10-05-23, 03:49 PM
squirtdad

- It isnt 'over generalized' though, when equal quality/use/goal is considered. Its quite accurate, actually.
- Yes the Aethos is designed to be lightweight...the steel and aluminum frame weights I cited are also designed and built to be lightweight. See what I did?...I compared frames with similar quality/use/goal.
- You may feel like too much emphasis is placed on frame weight, but that doesnt make your prior comment true - "steel is not heavy if it is a nice frame"
- Agreed, the majority of bike weight is in components and therefore frame weight differences are reduced when taken as part of an overall bicycle. Again though, that has nothing to do with your comment that I initially disagreed with and responded to.
- Production vs custom absolutely has a huge impact on steel frame weights. 20 minutes reading about it would explain why, but Ill give you the synopsis- production steel frames(and forks) must meet failure testing standards that require the frames to be beefed up to pass. Beef = weight. Custom bikes are not subject to this, therefore they can be made lighter.
- A sub19# bike 'back in the day' is neat. That has no bearing on what you claimed though. 19# is relatively heavy.
- Cool that your Kirk is lighter than your Miyata. Once more, that has nothing to do with what you claimed and I responded to.

I own half a dozen steel road bikes and 1 aluminum road bike. 0 carbon. My comment earlier wasnt trashing steel, I love steel bikes. My comment earlier was simply corrected an incorrect claim. None of your comments in response to my correction support your initial comment.
I think we are saying much the same thing in different ways or viewpoints. most important thing is hope we both get good rides in on the weekend

Old 10-05-23, 05:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I didnt fat shame and dont plan to fat shame.
....once you started in on gram weights, I immediately flashed on Jenny Craig. My apologies.
Old 10-06-23, 08:31 AM
teacherman62

Bikes: Cannondale R4000, F3000, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
I find it hard to believe that these old leather bike seats are considered comfortable. When I started riding, that's all there was. Brooks leather on chromed steel rails. When I got my racing beer can aluminum bike in 2002, after years with no bike, the foam CODA seat seemed OK, but I ended up with a Selle Italia cutout built on titanium rails, which I stuck on a carbon fiber seat post. Now I put a big fat Zacros (from Scamazon) gel pad on top of it, and I use padded bike shorts as well.

I remember buying a new Brooks for my 1973 Follis 531 main tubes bike, and it was as hard as a rock for quite some time.

I guess my question is, should I have another look at Brooks? Are they built of lighter metal now, and how long would it take to break in?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.