Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing the crankset on my Boardman Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 02:23 AM
Doush_504

Bikes: Boardman Hybrid Sport - Orbea Dakar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello everyone

I have a Boardman Hybrid Sport with 34/50 FSA crank at the front & Shimano 11-32 cassette on the back.
The rear cassette is starting to show its age so I bought a new one (the one I found from Shimano is 12-28).
While shopping for the rear cassette I saw a shimano FC M131 28-38-48 & I immediately felt that I wanted it.
I feel that the jump from 34 to 50 is HUGE & many times the chain falls off if I shift a bit too quickly.
I know that with the new setup, I lose a bit of top speed with the top gears (which I rarely use)
Is this a wise step to make or not ?
Advice would be much appreciated
Thank you
Old 10-19-23, 04:12 AM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts
There is more to the story than simply replacing the crankset. To go from a double crankset to a triple will require at the minimum a new left hand shifter. More than likely you'll also need to replace the rear derailleur (to a longer cage model capable of taking up more chain slack) and the front derailleur (to a model that is designed to have the range to shift effectively across three rings). If you want to reduce the jump from 34 to 50 it would be a lot less expensive to swap out the 50 for a 46 ring that is commonly used on cyclocross bikes. Note though that going to a 28 tooth cassette you gave away some of the lower gearing so there is that to deal with if you live somewhere hilly. No matter what you end up doing, be safe out there and ride on.
John
Old 10-19-23, 04:12 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Just switch the 50T chain ring to a 48 or 46, but be sure to get the proper ring for your crank, 4 or 5 bolt with the correct bcd, 110mm. I put a 46 tooth on with an 11-32, I have never spun out in 46-11. The 34-32 is already quite low, unless you are a lot of fairly steep climbing. I purchased an FSA Pro 46 tooth, online, for about $40 usd, and same for a Shimano Sora.
If you change the complete crank set, you will likely have to change the bottom bracket and the left shifter, for the front derailleur. Going to a 48 tooth, the chain may be ok, going to a 46 tooth, likely will have to remove a chain link.

Last edited by delbiker1; 10-19-23 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-19-23, 04:30 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
There is more to the story than simply replacing the crankset. To go from a double crankset to a triple will require at the minimum a new left hand shifter. More than likely you'll also need to replace the rear derailleur (to a longer cage model capable of taking up more chain slack) and the front derailleur (to a model that is designed to have the range to shift effectively across three rings). If you want to reduce the jump from 34 to 50 it would be a lot less expensive to swap out the 50 for a 46 ring that is commonly used on cyclocross bikes. Note though that going to a 28 tooth cassette you gave away some of the lower gearing so there is that to deal with if you live somewhere hilly. No matter what you end up doing, be safe out there and ride on.
John
Thank you for your reply.
The left hand shifter is already a 3 speed one (so the front derailleur will probably be OK)
Don't know about the rear derailleur though, it's a shimano Altus (not allowed to post photos for the time being )
I don't think I can find an individual 46 ring sold on its own (they sell the whole crankset) & I'll also need a wider bearing to accomodate the 3 gears.
I understand that I'm sacrificing the lower gearing but I never use the 1st 2 gears at all (I even had it adjusted so that the 34T front gear can go all the way to the 7th rear gear, as when I bought it, the chain used to grind starting 4th gear, which meant I had to go to the 50T front to start using the 4th in the rear, which meant a HUGE drop in cadence & speed)
Old 10-19-23, 04:33 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Just switch the 50T chain ring to a 48 or 46, but be sure to get the proper ring for your crank, 4 or 5 bolt with the correct bcd, 110mm. I put a 46 tooth on with an 11-32, I have never spun out in 46-11. The 34-32 is already quite low, unless you are a lot of fairly steep climbing. I purchased an FSA Pro 46 tooth, online, for about $40 usd, and same for a Shimano Sora.
If you change the complete crank set, you will likely have to change the bottom bracket and the left shifter, for the front derailleur. Going to a 48 tooth, the chain may be ok, going to a 46 tooth, likely will have to remove a chain link.
I'll double check with my bike mechanic if I'll need anything more that just the crankset & the wider bearing.
If that's the case, I'll keep everything stock & just replace the rear cassette due to wear & that's all.
Thank you for your help
Old 10-19-23, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Doush_504
Thank you for your reply.
The left hand shifter is already a 3 speed one (so the front derailleur will probably be OK)
Don't know about the rear derailleur though, it's a shimano Altus (not allowed to post photos for the time being )
I don't think I can find an individual 46 ring sold on its own (they sell the whole crankset) & I'll also need a wider bearing to accomodate the 3 gears.
I understand that I'm sacrificing the lower gearing but I never use the 1st 2 gears at all (I even had it adjusted so that the 34T front gear can go all the way to the 7th rear gear, as when I bought it, the chain used to grind starting 4th gear, which meant I had to go to the 50T front to start using the 4th in the rear, which meant a HUGE drop in cadence & speed)
Your current crank is a 50/34 and your current left shifter is a 3x? That makes no sense, unless one of those two items isnt original and was changed.
Old 10-19-23, 09:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,838 Posts
Also if your bike wouldn't run smoothly above the seventh cog .... that is a major misadjustment somewhere. I am not sure who built or modified the bike you have but they did not do a good job.

I have three 11-speed (well, 22-speed) bikes and all of them can use all the gears on either ring. About three-quarters of the way through the cassette I have to hit the trim adjustment, otherwise, i can run big-small or small-big no issue. Nothing against whichever mechanic, but that sounds very wrong.

Altus is Shimano's lowest-level MTB group, I believe, and the rear derailleur Should be fine with just about anything, as it often comes on MTBs or hybrids with triples.

You didn't specify which Boardman Hybrid or which year... https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/...8.6-green.html None of the new models have 8-speed, 50-34, or Altus so I assume it is older? Or has it been modified. None of the current hydrids have triples, so where did the triple front shifter come from? Is this bike some other person's project?

More information needed.
Old 10-19-23, 10:47 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I think I’d figure out why you’re dropping chains
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-19-23, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,812 Times in 3,320 Posts
Not sure why you think the jump from the 34 to the 50 ring is big. If it is, then perhaps you don't realize that when you make that change on the front that you also have to shift the rear 2 sometimes 3 cogs at or about the same time to give you then next proper gear ratio.

You aren't expected to be expert. So don't take offense if the response seems mean. I just don't sugar coat replies, as that will add too many words.

Welcome to BF.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-19-23, 01:57 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Your current crank is a 50/34 and your current left shifter is a 3x? That makes no sense, unless one of those two items isnt original and was changed.
Some front shifters are/were designed to work with double or triple cranks with the correspomding dlr.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-19-23, 01:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Some front shifters are/were designed to work with double or triple cranks with the correspomding dlr.
Yeah, my kid has some old Tiagra STI shifters on her road bike that are like this.
I wasn't aware there are modern flatbar shifters that are 2x or 3x.
Old 10-19-23, 04:23 PM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's the original shimano altus shifter.
​​​​​​​Being a hybrid, it's a regular MTB shifter not like road bikes
Old 10-21-23, 12:10 PM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not sure why you think the jump from the 34 to the 50 ring is big. If it is, then perhaps you don't realize that when you make that change on the front that you also have to shift the rear 2 sometimes 3 cogs at or about the same time to give you then next proper gear ratio.

You aren't expected to be expert. So don't take offense if the response seems mean. I just don't sugar coat replies, as that will add too many words.

Welcome to BF.
Thank you for your answer.
I'm not an expert but I've been riding bikes regularly since Feb 2012 so I kind of have a feeling for how gear shifting works (in addition te being a mechanical engineer so I have studied gears back in college .
Anyways I went ahead & installed the 3x crankset & it's simply AMAZING.
Shifting is waaaaaaaay smother & easier (going up 10 teeths instead of 16) & gear ratios are more logical this way (having to shift 2-3 gears in the back to compensate the huge shift at the front is a waste of time & energy IMHO) I never had to do such a thing in my previous 2 MTBs.
I've been noticing how stupid the gear shift was since the day I bought the bike (April 2020) & I've been thinking about this upgrade ever since (so glad I finally did it).
Old 10-21-23, 12:35 PM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Also if your bike wouldn't run smoothly above the seventh cog .... that is a major misadjustment somewhere. I am not sure who built or modified the bike you have but they did not do a good job.

I have three 11-speed (well, 22-speed) bikes and all of them can use all the gears on either ring. About three-quarters of the way through the cassette I have to hit the trim adjustment, otherwise, i can run big-small or small-big no issue. Nothing against whichever mechanic, but that sounds very wrong.

Altus is Shimano's lowest-level MTB group, I believe, and the rear derailleur Should be fine with just about anything, as it often comes on MTBs or hybrids with triples.

You didn't specify which Boardman Hybrid or which year... None of the new models have 8-speed, 50-34, or Altus so I assume it is older? Or has it been modified. None of the current hydrids have triples, so where did the triple front shifter come from? Is this bike some other person's project?

More information needed.
It's a Boardman Hybrid Sport from 2014 (unable to post any photos for the time being)
I bought it used in April 2020 & was suffering from the gap in the gear ratios (1st gear at the front only worked with the 1st 3 at the rear, so at some point, I had to shift to 2nd at the front & 4th at the back at the same time, which meant a huge drop in cadence)
I then had it adjusted so that 1st at the front works with 3rd to 7th at the back (1st & 2nd were useless to me) & the 2nd at the front could start from 6th at the back (the overlap allowed to close the gap in the ratio).
For some reason, 8th & 9th were a bit problematic (randomly shifting between them under torque).
I replaced the chain but the issue remained.
It only went away yesterday after I installed the new crankset.
Gear ratios now are amazing & shifting is as smooth as it gets.
Old 10-21-23, 12:39 PM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I think I’d figure out why you’re dropping chains
You're right.
It almost always happened when shifting from 1st to 2nd at the front.
The chain would fall to the outside, then I would have to go back to 1st to get it back.
A friend with the same bike was also suffering from the same issue (I'm conviced that the gap is too big).
With the new crankset, this is no longer an issue
Old 10-21-23, 04:14 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
You're right.
The chain would fall to the outside, then I would have to go back to 1st to get it back.
A friend with the same bike was also suffering from the same issue (I'm conviced that the gap is too big).
It 16t teeth is pretty standard, and if you don't figure it out it will continue to happen
Old 10-22-23, 08:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Your bike was initially assembled and adjusted by an idiot. That is all of that.

Chains do not fall off properly adjusted bikes. If chains normally fell off ... considering that 16 teeth is a standard range .... no one could ride anywhere.

If your friend regularly loses his chain he might want to go online and ask questions .... watch some videos about front derailleur adjustment and limiter screws.

The three bikes I ride most have 50-34 chain rings, and have no issues. I keep them adjusted and they work.

Almost every bike, properly adjusted, can use any combination of front and rear gears (though 6,7, and 8-speed bikes might make a lot of noise in big-small and small-big.) Any modern bike can use any and all gear combinations. If the bike shifts or the chain comes off, the bike needs work. Replace everything ... but if it is not adjusted it still won't work.
Old 10-22-23, 02:33 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Triples rock - so many gears to choose from, you can't help but to increase your speed. And all that for just a minimal increase in weight.
Likes For Lamont Cobb:
Old 10-22-23, 02:42 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by lamont cobb
triples rock - so many gears to choose from, you can't help but to increase your speed. And all that for just a minimal increase in weight.
lol
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-27-23, 02:30 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mr Boardman could be an idiot
I personally don't know him to defend him .
All I know that everything is now working brilliantly after the upgrade.

Your bike was initially assembled and adjusted by an idiot. That is all of that.

Chains do not fall off properly adjusted bikes. If chains normally fell off ... considering that 16 teeth is a standard range .... no one could ride anywhere.

If your friend regularly loses his chain he might want to go online and ask questions .... watch some videos about front derailleur adjustment and limiter screws.

The three bikes I ride most have 50-34 chain rings, and have no issues. I keep them adjusted and they work.

Almost every bike, properly adjusted, can use any combination of front and rear gears (though 6,7, and 8-speed bikes might make a lot of noise in big-small and small-big.) Any modern bike can use any and all gear combinations. If the bike shifts or the chain comes off, the bike needs work. Replace everything ... but if it is not adjusted it still won't work.
Old 10-27-23, 02:32 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It definitely is much better
I just finished a 300 KMs trip with it & it was brilliant .

Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
Triples rock - so many gears to choose from, you can't help but to increase your speed. And all that for just a minimal increase in weight.
Old 10-27-23, 05:08 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
You're right.
There's nothing wrong with the gap; there must be thousands of bikes with that exact combination covering thousands of miles a day.

It sounds like your front deralleur isn't set up properly, as it shouldn't shift beyond the bigger cog. You should be able to fix that in a few minutes by adjusting the limit screws and/or cable tension. Given there's mention of the rear having similar issues too I'd take it to a bike shop for a tune up. When it's working fine, I'd get your friend to do the same.

Edit: I can't help feeling that there's something spammy going on here.

Last edited by Herzlos; 10-27-23 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 05:50 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you
Nothing spammy don't worry.
Like I already said several times, I already threw away the front crankset & installed the new one with 3 speeds & did a 300 Kms trip

Old setup

Front shifter reaching "3" for the 1st time

Originally Posted by Herzlos
There's nothing wrong with the gap; there must be thousands of bikes with that exact combination covering thousands of miles a day.

It sounds like your front deralleur isn't set up properly, as it shouldn't shift beyond the bigger cog. You should be able to fix that in a few minutes by adjusting the limit screws and/or cable tension. Given there's mention of the rear having similar issues too I'd take it to a bike shop for a tune up. When it's working fine, I'd get your friend to do the same.

Edit: I can't help feeling that there's something spammy going on here.
Old 10-27-23, 10:13 AM
Maelochs

I had a splinter in my finger. People told me how to remove the splinter but I just cut the finger off. Now everything is awesome.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-05-23, 08:23 AM
Doush_504

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll keep enjoying the broader range of my gear ratios
Maybe you should go back to using an older bike without gears
I bet you'll enjoy it a lot

I had a splinter in my finger. People told me how to remove the splinter but I just cut the finger off. Now everything is awesome.
Likes For Doush_504:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.