Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Pannier Recommendation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 04:19 PM
habals
noob

Bikes: Cyclocross 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I know there are tons of threads asking for this same question,
and trust me I tried several ones that was recommended in this thread.
Unfortunately, most of them didn't fit my need.

I'm looking for a pannier that satisfies the following requirement
1) Must have the shoulder strap (or something I can use it like a back pack)
2) Must have bike mount like panniers.
3) Spacious enough for 15" laptop, towel, clothes.
4) must be comfortable

So basically, I like Timbuk 2 messenger bags, but I wish I can hang the bag onto the rack.
I tried Ortlieb Office bag, but this bag is somewhat inconvenient.
The shoulder strap was not attached on the center of the bag, so when I put heavy laptop the bag is skewed and doesn't feel comfortable.

It is really hard to find a pannier that can be also used as a backpack or a messenger bag.
Is there any other product you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-10, 04:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How about this? https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_201497_10000

I find the Ortlieb Back Roller works well enough, its my go to the grocery store and load them up bags..

the strap stays on the bag, has a hook on the lower outside face.. to loop it under .

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-16-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 04:52 PM
habals
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize that Back Roller had a shoulder strap. It looked too big, but I'll definitely check it out.
Have you carried a laptop regularly on the Back Roller?

Nashbar product is the one I'm looking for. Do you know if it stays tight so that the laptop won't move around?
Old 08-16-10, 06:20 PM
Ember
Zoom!

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to recommend the Arkel "urban" bags. They have several different kinds, but the Commuter is the one with a shoulder strap. I have one and it is awesome.

https://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categ...e-pannier.html
Old 08-16-10, 06:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I don't have a lap top or one of those well paying IT jobs, either.
if you get a padded sleeve for the laptop computer,
and fill the rest of the bag with clothes I cannot imagine where you can go wrong..

NB they ,Ortlieb, sell a padded back pack adapter that works with their panniers,
but you have that other part to fit.
the same thing goes for the smaller front roller..

I myself have bought a Brompton folding bike they have or have made compatable

A front bag for commuting in several styles , with laptops, this year,
all the way up to the leather briefcase set ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-16-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 06:39 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a thought- Happy with the T2, but want it off of your back? Why not get a Wald folding basket- drop bag in when riding, take bag out when done.
Old 08-16-10, 06:41 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I use and like the Arkel "Bug."
Old 08-16-10, 07:29 PM
iManda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Ortlieb Front Rollers, but carry them on my back rack. They have shoulder straps and are small enough to carry one on each shoulder, or both on one shoulder to maneuver. Loaded up from the grocery store, they hold more than I could physically lift much less carry on my bike. I do not believe the strap is long enough to wear cross-body like a messenger bag, though.
Old 08-16-10, 07:30 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the Office Bag, you have a choice of shoulder strap hooks: Two on the "soft" side and one on the rack side. I find that if you connect one end of the strap to the soft side and one to the pannier side, it's pretty balanced. Just a thought...
Old 08-16-10, 07:37 PM
habals
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for many helpful comments.

I forgot to mention that I was aware of Arkel products, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the local stores.
Do they only sell online? I wish to see it before I buy it.
Old 08-16-10, 08:42 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Not a high end bag, but very functional and good value: the Performance Bike Transit "Metro" messenger bag. It's a pannier that converts into a messenger bag. I've been using it for a year. My only significant complaint is that the retention system on the pannier is hokey and awkward (or else I'm just dense!). Anyway, I figured out my own retention system using rubber tiedowns that is robust and fairly easy to use.

Last edited by old's'cool; 08-16-10 at 08:43 PM. Reason: can't type blind
Old 08-17-10, 04:12 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a messenger bag that you can throw on a rack why not just make your own?

You can buy some ortlieb mounts and attach them to the bag of your choice.

Something like this (thought the pics seem to be missing)
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=236014
Old 08-17-10, 06:38 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ember
I'm going to recommend the Arkel "urban" bags. They have several different kinds, but the Commuter is the one with a shoulder strap. I have one and it is awesome.

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I use and like the Arkel "Bug."
Another vote for Arkel products - I also have the Commuter and it is indeed a great bag.

Here's a list of shops in California that carry Arkel products: https://www.arkel-od.com/us/useful-01-dealers#California. Looks like you may have to do a bit of traveling to see one in person. FWIW I can tell you that Arkel's bags are very high quality; great attachment system, durable fabric, industrial-strength zippers, and well thought-out design. You won't be disappointed, except maybe by the price, but with Arkel you do get what you pay for. I had my LBS order my bag sight unseen and it has held up beautifully, even through winter commuting.
Old 08-17-10, 07:43 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm currently trying to decide between the Metropolitan and the Commuter.
I don't really need the suspended laptop compartment since I'm only carrying an iPad, not a full on laptop, so I think I like the shape of the Metropolitan better for carrying on the shoulder. Plus the description of the Metro describes it has having a waterproof liner which is a plus, no need to deal with a separate rain cover.
Old 08-17-10, 08:22 AM
tligman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a "saddlebag" style set from m-wave that was cheap and does well for everything but my laptop -- I'm seriously considering just picking up a set of hardware (hooks and a bungee from the hardware store?) and adapting one of the ubiquitous dell "messenger bags" for pannier duty... we have dozens of them just lying around... but really any messenger bag, even your Timbuk2, can be adapted into a pannier bag with a little effort, or you could make/buy a basket or bag that the timbuk2 fits inside of.
Old 08-17-10, 09:34 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tligman
I'm seriously considering just picking up a set of hardware (hooks and a bungee from the hardware store?) and adapting one of the ubiquitous dell "messenger bags" for pannier duty... we have dozens of them just lying around... but really any messenger bag, even your Timbuk2, can be adapted into a pannier bag with a little effort, ...
I did such a conversion of a regular backpack using the Lone Peak hooks which have an extra loop that hooks under the rack rails. When attached to the rack I swing the backpack straps to be behind the pack, i.e. on the outside, so they can't interfere with the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1..jpg (74.8 KB, 26 views)
3..jpg (80.6 KB, 28 views)
2..jpg (89.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-17-10, 10:20 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Nashbar garment pannier is a garment bag that folds over your rack like a set of panniers. If you can find one in their returns, you can get it for not much money, too. It works well for suit-and-tie outfits, though it might not do so well with your laptop.
Old 08-17-10, 02:08 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Not a high end bag, but very functional and good value: the Performance Bike Transit "Metro" messenger bag. It's a pannier that converts into a messenger bag. I've been using it for a year. My only significant complaint is that the retention system on the pannier is hokey and awkward (or else I'm just dense!). Anyway, I figured out my own retention system using rubber tiedowns that is robust and fairly easy to use.
I also have this one. Good, although you get what you pay for; the fabric started fraying a lot after a few months. Also, I've had it jump right off the rack when going over big bumps, even when it was as tightly attached as possible. Plus it's kinda ugly.
Old 08-17-10, 02:26 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Arkel commuter as well and it is a great pannier (near-waterproof, great organization, enough room for commuting, etc., etc.). It absolutely sucks as a backpack (think single shoulder strap like a huge purse). The Arkel Bug or Switchback are your best options if you want a single bag solution for a backpack & pannier. Having said all that, if comfortable backpack use is critical then I would follow no1mad's suggestion of getting a real backpack & store it in a basket on your bike.

The problem is that the qualities that make a good pannier do not make a good backpack. No matter what you do you're going to have pannier mounts digging into your back and/or shoulders.
Old 08-17-10, 02:38 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
No matter what you do you're going to have pannier mounts digging into your back and/or shoulders.
Not really. The backpack shown above where I added the Lone Peak hooks has them far enough out at the edge that they never make contact with my shoulders. I'd think that would be even easier for the makers of packs designed to double as backpacks/panniers, but I haven't tried those.
Old 08-17-10, 04:39 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ember

I am a big fan of Arkel bags. I have the 'bug' which fits all of your descriptions, although it is not the most comfortable backpack that I own. The Commuter also looked really nice.
Old 08-17-10, 05:41 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought the Knog Franks Dog bag. It has a removable rack attachment so can be used as both a pannier or messenger bag. I looked at the others mentioned here and just couldn't find one that was quite right. This one seemed like it had most of the features I needed. One thing is that I use it more as a messenger bag than as a pannier and it doesn't feel like a kluge. Knog Frank Dog

I didn't pay the retail price on the web site, check Amazon and eBay.
Old 08-17-10, 05:46 PM
interested

Bikes: Kinesisbikes UK Racelight Tk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habals
Hi All,

I know there are tons of threads asking for this same question,
and trust me I tried several ones that was recommended in this thread.
Unfortunately, most of them didn't fit my need.

I'm looking for a pannier that satisfies the following requirement
1) Must have the shoulder strap (or something I can use it like a back pack)
2) Must have bike mount like panniers.
3) Spacious enough for 15" laptop, towel, clothes.
4) must be comfortable

So basically, I like Timbuk 2 messenger bags, but I wish I can hang the bag onto the rack.
I tried Ortlieb Office bag, but this bag is somewhat inconvenient.
The shoulder strap was not attached on the center of the bag, so when I put heavy laptop the bag is skewed and doesn't feel comfortable.

It is really hard to find a pannier that can be also used as a backpack or a messenger bag.
Is there any other product you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
The Ortlieb Office bag has three attachment D-rings. If you use the two D-rings on the same side, you should carry it as a shoulder bag under e.g. your right arm with the hooks facing away from your body.
If you attach the shoulder strap to the third D-ring, (asymmetrical) you should carry the bag, either on your backside like a messenger bag, or in front of you. The latter is useful for when entering elevators, trains or other narrow places.

The Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic (my personal favorite) is more flexible than the Office bag when it comes to carrying huge loads and bulky items. Very good for hauling groceries on your way home. You can attach an external pocket or mesh helmet holder to the side. Very sturdy design. Doesn't have any zippers which I like, because zippers tend to die after some years of daily abuse.
You carry a Back-Roller on your backside like a messenger back, hooks facing outwards.

Features that are good on a commuting pannier;

Some kind of auto-lock system instead of hooks & bungee. Ortlieb and Rixen & Kaul/Klickfix have systems that auto locks the pannier to the rack, so it doesn't fall off no matter how big a bump you hit. The Ortlieb system can be used one-handed; taking the pannier off or putting it on takes very few seconds. You don't have to bend down or grab a hook that perhaps have been covered in road grime and slush. Some hook and bungie systems can come undone while riding, so the pannier either falls off, or worse, the bungee grabs hold of the rear wheel spokes.

Integrated waterproofness. Not only nice when it rains, but it also make it much easier to clean the pannier both inside and outside; just put it in the shower. It dries fast after cleaning because it is waterproof.

Stiff rear side; soft panniers on many racks can twist into the spokes.

Shoulder strap; would never buy a pannier without. Great for having both hands free when unlocking doors, or when carrying heavy loads.

--
Regards
Old 08-17-10, 07:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jude
I also have this one. Good, although you get what you pay for; the fabric started fraying a lot after a few months. Also, I've had it jump right off the rack when going over big bumps, even when it was as tightly attached as possible. Plus it's kinda ugly.
No dispute with your comments. I actually never thought about it esthetically before...
Mine also self-jettisoned on a bump shortly after I got it (with the laptop inside, of course ). Nice part was, the carry strap somehow got caught in the wheel and amputated one of the clips (fortunately spare carry straps are easy to find).
That incident led to my re-engineering the attachment, in two stages. The latest method is pretty bomb proof.
I haven't noted any appreciable wear on the fabric yet. But I stopped using it as a messenger bag and just leave it attached as pannier, for the most part. I have a small, lightweight shoulder bag that I carry along and use instead. This saves detaching, converting, and reattaching the pannier, and is more comfortable to carry than the Metro. Not the ideal solution but it's what I'm doing for now.
Old 08-17-10, 08:40 PM
Special-Kay

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbcb
With the Office Bag, you have a choice of shoulder strap hooks: Two on the "soft" side and one on the rack side. I find that if you connect one end of the strap to the soft side and one to the pannier side, it's pretty balanced. Just a thought...
I'm pretty certain that the ONLY reason it has two strap hooks on the rack side is because the hardware is reversible. I can't imagine someone would actually think they were to hook the strap only on that side. Even with hooking on the other side, the one hook is not on the end, so I sort of get what the OP is saying. Or maybe I'm wrong and they didn't notice the end hook. I just got my office bag today so have not loaded it up yet, but it seems like it will work fine for me, but I could see that with a really full load, it might not be ideal (even with the correct configuration of the strap).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.