Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Viscount Aerospace GP

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Viscount Aerospace GP

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 06:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Viscount Aerospace GP

I happened into this Viscount today. I bought it mostly because of the crank (made by TA?) but I would like to know a little more about it if possible.

It appears to be a middle of the road bike with some original parts swapped out. I don't think the weinmann 590 sidepull brakes are original. The seat post is also, way too small... can anyone tell me what it should be? No death fork. The shimano titlist derailleurs are basic but nice looking (IMO).

The decals are nearly gone and some one painted over the headbadge... I am guessing they were touching up the red, is that original?

Anyhow, I'd like to learn a little more about the brand and see pictures of others possibly.

What grabbed my interest:

Crummy Vinyl Brooks and pinched seat tube:
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 07-18-11, 07:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
The crankset has the same 50.4 bcd as TA and Stronglight 49D, but unfortunately those Viscount spindles didn't have any taper, so those cranks don't fit on anything else unless you do some judicious filing. Otherwise, Viscounts/Lamberts were outfitted with lots of parts labeled and produced by Viscount/Lambert: centerpull brakes and brake levers, sealed-bearing hubs, pedals, stem, and bars. Seatpost is a 26.8mm and would have originally been some sort of straight-pin alloy.

Neal
Old 07-18-11, 07:28 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
yup. I have that exact bike at home. I tried polishing that crank up and it came out pretty well. My bike might even be the same size as yours. Yours is in better shape though.

Old 07-18-11, 07:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts

Look around my Flickr account to see the rest of the Viscount and Lambert content.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21098570@N05/page2/

Old 07-18-11, 08:01 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Originally Posted by nlerner
The crankset has the same 50.4 bcd as TA and Stronglight 49D, but unfortunately those Viscount spindles didn't have any taper, so those cranks don't fit on anything else unless you do some judicious filing. Otherwise, Viscounts/Lamberts were outfitted with lots of parts labeled and produced by Viscount/Lambert: centerpull brakes and brake levers, sealed-bearing hubs, pedals, stem, and bars. Seatpost is a 26.8mm and would have originally been some sort of straight-pin alloy.

Neal
Go figure! I'm not all that interested in the bike as a whole, what a bummer.
Old 07-18-11, 09:15 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Some of the cranks used a tapered spindle although I'm not sure if it was JIS, ISO or something else. I think Viscount figured out the non-tapered version was a mistake and cut-in a tapered version at some point. You'll have to check to know since I don't think there is any visible difference on the exterior.

I might be interested in the frame if you decide to get rid of it. What size is it?
Old 07-18-11, 10:13 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by Iowegian
Some of the cranks used a tapered spindle although I'm not sure if it was JIS, ISO or something else. I think Viscount figured out the non-tapered version was a mistake and cut-in a tapered version at some point. You'll have to check to know since I don't think there is any visible difference on the exterior.

I might be interested in the frame if you decide to get rid of it. What size is it?
Ah, excellent! I'm assuming mine is one of the newer models because it does not have Shimano dropouts... maybe the crank was changed at that point. I'll have to find an LBS with a TA crank extractor sometime soon.

The frame is actually larger than I thought, it measures 63cm C-C with a 59cm top tube. I do doubt that I will keep it, but I am not sure either way yet. I will keep in mind that you asked about it and let you know if and when that time comes.
Old 07-18-11, 10:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
What do you need a TA extractor for? Not the Viscount crank; that fits the standard 22 mm one. I read somewhere it's actually a 7/8", i.e. 22.2 mm, thread; but the Shimano/Sugino/SR/Campy extractor works. Wait until you see the spindle, then it'll come home to you!

I run mine on a tapered spindle, having filed a taper into the crank as Neal mentioned. I didn't measure anything, just took a file and went at it. Works fine! My crank is an earlier model than yours; the chain rings are shaped like TA rings, with regular shaped cutouts rather than those big circles.

And yes, I believe the red is original.
Old 07-18-11, 10:47 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by rhm
What do you need a TA extractor for? Not the Viscount crank; that fits the standard 22 mm one. I read somewhere it's actually a 7/8", i.e. 22.2 mm, thread; but the Shimano/Sugino/SR/Campy extractor works. Wait until you see the spindle, then it'll come home to you!

I run mine on a tapered spindle, having filed a taper into the crank as Neal mentioned. I didn't measure anything, just took a file and went at it. Works fine! My crank is an earlier model than yours; the chain rings are shaped like TA rings, with regular shaped cutouts rather than those big circles.

And yes, I believe the red is original.
The news keeps getting better! I'm still on the fence about filing the cranks but it's nice to hear from someone that actually has. I remember Kurt had a viscount crank mounted onto a Windsor, maybe he will say something about that. I always liked the crank in pictures but will say that it is less so in person. I still do find it attractive... just different.

As you said, the red is original but it looks like someone added an additional layer of red to mine right over the headbadge. I tried to delicately cut away the red paint from the badge but there wasn't much worth saving underneath. I used nail polish remover and now there is just a shiny foil crest.
Old 07-19-11, 05:57 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
Also you just can't toss any old bb into those things since there no thread inside the shell. Wacky stuff. Cool find I was eyeball g one exactly like that a big swap meet a few weeks ago.
Old 07-19-11, 06:03 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by Henry III
Also you just can't toss any old bb into those things since there no thread inside the shell. Wacky stuff. Cool find I was eyeball g one exactly like that a big swap meet a few weeks ago.
Yeah, fortunately there seems to be a lot on the web about what options there are. It's a rare case were most of the information comes from other cycling forums... but i'm finding lots of good stuff out there.

I think I am going to try to make new decals on my own for this one. I seem to have all the resources I need... clear adhesive, Epson commercial proofers and Adobe illustrator. I think if I leave the foil shields, I can print the badge on clear material and stick it over top. It's worth trying.

At first blush I wasn't very impressed. I am starting to see the charm in it... still wouldn't call that impressed. I have only ridden it two miles so far... I want to say it's sort of noodly feeling but I guess that is premature. It's interesting though that it seems to be a little different feeling.

Last edited by mkeller234; 07-19-11 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-19-11, 06:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Keep us posted!

So you're going to replicate/repair the original decals, right? I'll be interested to see how that comes out. I considered doing exactly that with my Lambert, but not only were the decals were pretty far gone, just the foil remaining, but they were pretty ugly to begin with. I decided I could do better....

Old 07-19-11, 06:46 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Dumb question, how can I know for sure if the spindle isn't tapered? I took the left crank arm off and was able to fit a Shimano tourney crank arm onto the viscount spindle. Likewise, the Viscount crank appeared to fit a japanese spindle I had in the basement. It's probably obvious but I am not spindle savvy. I'm guessing that the fit is close, but not quite right? Maybe I am asking the wrong question?

Old 07-19-11, 06:49 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by rhm
Keep us posted!

So you're going to replicate/repair the original decals, right? I'll be interested to see how that comes out. I considered doing exactly that with my Lambert, but not only were the decals were pretty far gone, just the foil remaining, but they were pretty ugly to begin with. I decided I could do better....

I agree, the viscount decals are not attractive. The aerospace pro looks a little nicer, because the downtube decal is larger but the GP's decals look poorly sized and cheap. I really like what you did, is that hand painted? I plan on attempting the original look as unglamorous as it is.
Old 07-19-11, 07:00 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by mkeller234
... I really like what you did, is that hand painted? I plan on attempting the original look as unglamorous as it is.
I had already drawn up decals for a 1950 Norman Invader in CorelDraw (the approved C&V graphics program) for a bike I ended up not getting, so I rearranged the letters and drew a couple more letters and printed the black lines on waterslide paper, backwards. I colored that in by hand and applied the decals to the frame backwards. A little white glue helps.

I haven't decided whether I'll eventually do the headbadge and seat tube badge using the same technique to apply color to the foil things (which are original) or if I'll hand paint them. I also want to put a decal on the crank arms.
Old 07-19-11, 07:09 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by rhm
I had already drawn up decals for a 1950 Norman Invader in CorelDraw (the approved C&V graphics program) for a bike I ended up not getting, so I rearranged the letters and drew a couple more letters and printed the black lines on waterslide paper, backwards. I colored that in by hand and applied the decals to the frame backwards. A little white glue helps.

I haven't decided whether I'll eventually do the headbadge and seat tube badge using the same technique to apply color to the foil things (which are original) or if I'll hand paint them. I also want to put a decal on the crank arms.
That is a lot more of an art than I had in mind. Your method sounds better, maybe I should consider that because it looks much better than the clear plastic sheets. I have been in printing for 10-11 years, right about the time CorelDraw was losing favor. I have used it in past jobs and liked it better than dreadful Macromedia Freehand. I still use Quark sometimes and it's awful compared to indesign. I loved Quark back in the days of pagemaker so I guess thats why I still hold onto it.

That black sticker on the Viscount cranks leaves a lot to be desired. I thought about either removing it or making something new. My only hesitation is that I feel like a temporary owner and feel responsible to leave it alone if possible.
Old 07-19-11, 07:55 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Dumb question, how can I know for sure if the spindle isn't tapered? ..........

The spindle end is obviously tapered per what I see in the first picture. You can see it from the slightly angled lines going fronm the tip of the pindle towards the BB.

Chombi
Old 07-19-11, 07:57 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

I should take a picture next to the other spindle that I have... I can now see a difference. Picture coming in a few minutes...
Old 07-19-11, 08:10 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Ok, here is a JIS Shimano cartridge compared to the Viscount spindle. The shimano taper seems to be longer.

Here is the Shimano Tourney crank on the JIS spindle. It nearly touches the BB.

Here is the viscount crank on the same JIS spindle. Is clearly sits further out on the spindle and illustrates the difference.
Old 07-19-11, 08:43 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

I've got the cartridge bearings removed. Any tips on how to press new ones in without damaging them?
Old 07-19-11, 08:47 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
I've got the cartridge bearings removed. Any tips on how to press new ones in without damaging them?
I used my bench vise and blocks of hardwood.

Neal
Old 07-19-11, 09:12 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
The Viscount spindle looks tapered in the photos; it isn't. Measure the width of the flats at the ends and their deepest point. Those Viscount spindles are prone to breaking at the C-clip - combined with their lack of taper, they aren't worth the trouble to bother with.

Find a framebuilder with Italian thread taps and thread the BB, then swap the arms for TA, Stronglight, Sugino, VO, Electra, or whatever 50.4 BCD arms suit your fancy.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-19-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-19-11, 09:18 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by cudak888
The Viscount spindle looks tapered in the photos; it isn't. Those Viscount spindles are prone to breaking at the C-clip - combined with their lack of taper, they aren't worth the trouble to bother with.

Find a framebuilder with Italian thread taps and thread the BB, then swap the arms for TA, Stronglight, Sugino, VO, Electra, or whatever 50.4 BCD arms suit your fancy.

-Kurt
That's fine enough, but also can be expensive. I'm not sure if I even want to keep this bike for long so I will give the Viscount spindle the chance to break.
Old 07-19-11, 09:19 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by nlerner
I used my bench vise and blocks of hardwood.

Neal
Where is my mind? That sounds like a good idea.... now I just need to replace my broken vise. I've got a great big C-clamp that would probably work along with some wood.
Old 07-19-11, 09:24 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
That's fine enough, but also can be expensive. I'm not sure if I even want to keep this bike for long so I will give the Viscount spindle the chance to break.
Very well, but if you find someone willing to do it, have it done. I had a Viscount frame threaded to Italian when it became obvious that I couldn't support the space it took up in my shed. It went out as a SS with Nevar arms paired to a Sugino ring of unknown model (have to check Velobase on that one, come to think of it):

FYI, that's a Suntour Perfect freewheel body with a single cog. I figured that would facilitate the conversion of this thing back to a geared bike if and when someone with the parts got a hold of it.

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.