Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New old bike - Bike Boom Coppi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 09:58 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

I saw this on ebay and had to have it. It was a local pick-up for me, so the price was very reasonable. I had also just sold a frame for about the same amount so I actually had the cash for it.

I have been looking for one of these for years. Its nothing fancy but I think it has some of the coolest decals ever on a bike. Come on, I will be riding a bike with the image of Fausto Coppi on the head tube. I did a quick paint job with Testors and a brush. Still have to do a little sharpening of some edges, but its a gaspipe boom bike, I'm not going to invest a lot into it. 5 foot rule applies.

Bfores

Afters

^thats an old sticker from Roberts Cyclery in Chicago.^

Last edited by big chainring; 02-09-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-09-13, 10:15 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Looks great BC - Now with the right set of wheels, gears and derailleurs, you may be very surprised at how nicely these Italian high-tens can behave. (After all, Coppi even put his face on it!)
Old 02-09-13, 10:25 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Looks great BC - Now with the right set of wheels, gears and derailleurs, you may be very surprised at how nicely these Italian high-tens can behave. (After all, Coppi even put his face on it!)
I stripped the parts from a similiar vintage Bottecchia. Thats the frame I sold to get this one.

So I have Gnutti hubs that I relaced to some vintage Weinmann 27" rims. Gnutti cottered crank(actually came off easily), and Universal centerpull brakes. I am adding a Campy NR derailleur set, and a Cinelli stem with the Carnielli bars from the Bottecchia. Oh and the Brooks Pro is a freebee from a bike I parted out.

Yeah, really interested to see how it rides. Has some beefy chainstays. Also the construction is very well done. And who can complain about chromed fork, stays and headlugs!
Old 02-09-13, 10:44 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'd love to get a Coppi someday. What a cool, yet sad story he was. His bikes are his legacy. I hear that some were very good.

Your frame is a beauty. I love that headbadge decal as well, but all the decals are cool. Good looking chrome lugs and stays. Should make for a nice ride. Keep us posted...
Old 02-09-13, 11:06 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Coppis were made by Fiorelli. I also have a 70s one in Columbus tubing and weathered chrome. I'll get it together someday...
Old 02-09-13, 02:15 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by dbakl
The Coppis were made by Fiorelli. I also have a 70s one in Columbus tubing and weathered chrome. I'll get it together someday...
This one, low-end boom bike, is really well done. The lugs, the fork ends are all finished off nicely. Its gotta have the thickest chainstays I have seen on a bike. Wonder if it will ride kinda stiff. I'll find out soon, I hope. And I like the bullet end seatstay treatment. Very simple and cleanly done.
Old 02-09-13, 04:16 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Certain frames, even lower end frame, just have the "look". I think your Coppi fits the category.

How many other boom-era brands were named after famous riders?
Coppi
Louison Bobet
Eddy Merckx (Falcon.ect)
Bottecchia
???
Old 02-09-13, 04:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I also have one, probably from 1968-69. Silver and pretty well appointed, except for the chrome which they skimped on pre plating below. The metalwork is pretty darn good for a "production" bike. Small details like having the seat lug ears filled with brass were attended to as well as the flattening of the stays adjacent to the freewheel too. Mine was originally sold in Italy, I think a pretty decent club / regional level bike.

It look like big chainring's white is going to build up pretty well.
Old 02-09-13, 04:46 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 115 Posts
My older brother had a real nice Coppi in the late 1970's that I would sneak for rides whenever he was out (he would have kicked my @ss if he caught me). It was the first bike I lusted over, which probably explains my Italian fetish. it doesn't seem they made many 58-60cm Coppi's, at least I don't see them for sale. Sweet find!!!
Old 02-09-13, 05:01 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by redneckwes
Certain frames, even lower end frame, just have the "look". I think your Coppi fits the category.

Coppi
Louison Bobet
Eddy Merckx (Falcon.ect)
Bottecchia
???
I would like to get an Anquetil, and a Merckx. Then I would have the big three.
Raphael Geminiani had a real nice bike line. The Geminiani Special was a great looking bike.
Old 02-09-13, 05:31 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
roger riviere bikes (seen only on the web, not in real life)

The Fausto bike is very cool. I don't care what the tube metallurgy is. It's not like your going to do the Tour de France on it anyways (maybe I wrong and you are hitting the tours this year). No need to ride too fast on that one anyways, cause if you do, no one is going to get a chance to drool over that headbadge. I had the chance to purchase a Louison Bobet, which was missing some of the original bits and pieces. It was going to be too small, but I still wanted it. A cooler head prevailed; or maybe it was the higher-than-I-expected price tag.
Old 02-09-13, 06:06 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Raphael Geminiani had a real nice bike line. The Geminiani Special was a great looking bike.
Hey, I got one of those too! (probably middle of the road, but very light frame)

My first 10-speed was a Bobet with Nervex lugs my stepfather and I resurrected from the trash. Stolen as soon as I went to college and locked it up in the bike rack.
Old 02-09-13, 09:47 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Moser
Motta

J

Originally Posted by redneckwes

Coppi
Louison Bobet
Eddy Merckx (Falcon.ect)
Bottecchia
???