Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:38 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
About 1.5 miles in deep snow. About 17 F. Lota work. Need snowshoes.
Old 02-16-15, 10:41 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
last night, -1.5 F. Now up to + 2.3 F. Time for the beach.
That's what I said! Well, not quite the beach, but I walked on the frozen Grand River this afternoon. It's like being up north in the wilderness--all alone just a couple miles from downtown. It was around zero degrees, but finally a day with only light breezes instead of howling winds. That made it fel almost balmy, as long as I kept moving.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-17-15, 06:53 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Roody
That's what I said! Well, not quite the beach, but I walked on the frozen Grand River this afternoon. It's like being up north in the wilderness--all alone just a couple miles from downtown. It was around zero degrees, but finally a day with only light breezes instead of howling winds. That made it fel almost balmy, as long as I kept moving.
Did you ever try studded tires?
Old 02-17-15, 06:38 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Managed to make up yesterday's mileage today- 4.05 miles . Walked to the credit union, two different furniture stores, chatted with the insurance rep*, and bought new headphones for the kid at the new Dollar General.

*Gonna miss them, but USAA would save us quite a bit of change on our auto insurance ($400+ a year).
Old 02-18-15, 01:10 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Did you ever try studded tires?
Yes, I have had studded tires for many years, but not this year. I highly reccommend them, but you can get around in the city without them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-19-15, 03:25 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Did my usual ~2 mile route. I intentionally picked up the pace a bit, but as I shunned crossing at the light in order to avoid the bigger mud puddles, it took a while for a break in traffic that was big enough for me to safely cross.

I'm also trying to figure out who or what city department I need to pitch the idea of having a sidewalk put in. While it would be nice to have one along the route I normally take, I think I'd have an easier time 'selling' a stretch that links a sizable housing addition to the K-8 school that is less than a mile away (only about half currently has a sidewalk along a 4 lane that gets quite busy with school rush hours).
Old 02-23-15, 01:19 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wintering in southern Fl is making car free easy! 15mi rt to Home Depot for a new doorknob. Loved every second of it!
Old 02-23-15, 03:54 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I walked to work, about 8 miles. We had rain, sleet and snow last night. Things were pretty messy.

I got up at 3 am to prepare for being at work at 9am. I figured that with the rain and sleet freezing overnight that the streets would be a hilly ice rink. I walked the distance last week after 2" of sleet fell in 3 hours, I figured I'd better allow 4 this time. By the time I had to leave for work at 5am to, walk there on time on icy roads, the bus company still had not announced their plans. I don't have studded tires for my bike, so I figured that tackling the icy streets on foot was the best plan.

It was slick in the apartment driveway, but when I got to the street I got a surprise. The asphalt was clean and dry. In the whole trip there were only a few icy spots. I could have pedaled. I was angry at myself.

Halfway to work I got passed by the bus, it wasn't on a snow route, so I could have taken it. If I only had known.

Coming home though was more predictable. They had said that it would snow starting at 1 pm and it did. Since I knew that the buses were running I headed to the nearest bus stop. Happily, it's on a snow route and so is my apartment. After a cold 45 minute wait the bus came and lumbered to the Transit Center where the bus home was just about to leave for which I was very grateful.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 02-23-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 04:08 PM
duckbill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I walked to work, about 8 miles. We had rain, sleet and snow last night. Things were pretty messy.

I got up at 3 am to prepare for being at work at 9am. I figured that with the rain and sleet freezing overnight that the streets would be a hilly ice rink. I walked the distance last week after 2" of sleet fell in 3 hours, I figured I'd better allow 4 this time. By the time I had to leave for work at 5am to, walk there on time on icy roads, the bus company still had not announced their plans. I don't have studded tires for my bike, so I figured that tackling the icy streets on foot was the best plan.

It was slick in the apartment driveway, but when I got to the street I got a surprise. The asphalt was clean and dry. In the whole trip there were only a few icy spots. I could have pedaled. I was angry at myself.

Halfway to work I got passed by the bus, it wasn't on a snow route, so I could have taken it. If I only had known.

Coming home though was more predictable. They had said that it would snow starting at 1 pm and it did. Since I knew that the buses were running I headed to the nearest bus stop. Happily, it's on a snow route and so is my apartment. After a cold 45 minute wait the bus came and lumbered to the Transit Center where the bus home was just about to leave for which I was very grateful.
For the size of Little Rock your "Central Arkansas Transit Authority" should be ashamed of themselves. The public transportation system there seems like they want everybody to drive cars. Sorry you had to wait 45 minutes for a bus.
Old 02-23-15, 09:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The week of Feb 9, I covered 27.67 km on foot. Some of that was on the treadmill, but on foot just the same. That's my biggest week of walking so far this year. Lots of running errands and doing this and that.

The week of Feb 16, only 15.96 km on foot. My arthritis had been acting up during a 7.27 km treadmill walk the previous Saturday, so I took it a little bit easier. Again, lots of running errands and doing this and that ... including a practice walk back from the uni.

This week is starting well with 12.4 km on foot already, and no treadmill walking in that. And today I did the uni trip for real.

I am back in university again! Grad courses now. Slowly but surely heading toward a Master's while still working fulltime.

So my uni trip will be a bus from work to the university, and a walk back as often as possible. It may not always be possible because I may need to get back to work quickly, but today, for example, the class let out a little bit early so I took the opportunity to walk.

I am vaguely toying with the idea of cycling between work and uni, and paused to look at the bicycle parking, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 02-23-15, 09:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Plus, of course, the hub and spoke tour we did last weekend ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...cations-3.html
Old 02-24-15, 04:34 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My usual QT to home, but with a slight twist. Instead of crossing at the light and then dealing with the mud from the melting snow (which kept me home yesterday), I decided to try and stick to mostly paved surfaces. That meant cutting through the park and then meandering through a residential area... let's just say I would've been better off traipsing through the mud.

I'm at 50 miles walked so far. I had a loose goal of 70 for the month, but the weather (and my health) didn't cooperate.
Old 02-24-15, 05:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by no1mad
I'm at 50 miles walked so far. I had a loose goal of 70 for the month, but the weather (and my health) didn't cooperate.
The month isn't over yet!

4 days ... 20 miles ... that's 5 miles a day.
Old 02-25-15, 10:34 PM
randallovelace

Bikes: Huffy Rockcreek (dual suspension)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Strava (feel free to add me there (Randal Lovelace) 83.9 miles this week - Current daily ride (commute) - is 23.9 miles in the morning (from Altamonte Springs, FL to Winter Garden, FL) and 6 miles from Winter Garden to Ocoee (to catch mass transit - bus to Sun Rail to bus) a minor ride after that of .7 mile (which I don't record on Strava due to not having enough battery power left on my phone).
Old 02-26-15, 02:03 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My usual QT to home route, but I made a little better time today. I attribute that to a) timing the light right and the tail wind- a cold tail wind does tend to put some pep in one's step .
Old 02-26-15, 06:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
This week is starting well with 12.4 km on foot already, and no treadmill walking in that.
I'm up to 22.29 km for the week now, with 1.5 days to go. A little bit of that was treadmill walking ... the rest was part of my commute, errands, and exercise.

Speaking of the treadmill ... we are planning to buy a treadmill. And what does that have to do with Living Car Light?

Simply this ... right now, we need to use the van to get to and from the gym. I could walk there from work, but getting home via public transportation would be a real pain. And there is no public transportation from where Rowan works.

However, if we buy a treadmill, it will be at home and we won't have to drive anywhere to use it.

Why don't we just walk/run outside? We could ... and do ... and will continue to do so ... but winter and darkness is at hand, and we figure we'll get better workouts in a climate controlled environment.

We're also discussing getting a rowing machine as well, and soon we'll have a couple bicycles set up on trainers, plus a small weights area.
Old 02-26-15, 06:33 PM
2manybikes

I'm up to 22.29 km for the week now, with 1.5 days to go. A little bit of that was treadmill walking ... the rest was part of my commute, errands, and exercise.

Speaking of the treadmill ... we are planning to buy a treadmill. And what does that have to do with Living Car Light?

Simply this ... right now, we need to use the van to get to and from the gym. I could walk there from work, but getting home via public transportation would be a real pain. And there is no public transportation from where Rowan works.

However, if we buy a treadmill, it will be at home and we won't have to drive anywhere to use it.

Why don't we just walk/run outside? We could ... and do ... and will continue to do so ... but winter and darkness is at hand, and we figure we'll get better workouts in a climate controlled environment.

We're also discussing getting a rowing machine as well, and soon we'll have a couple bicycles set up on trainers, plus a small weights area.
What are your fees for new gym members?
Old 02-26-15, 07:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

What are your fees for new gym members?
They wouldn't be more than what our current gym is charging!!

I love our current gym. I'm really going to miss it. But there's something about the place that puzzles me. It's empty. The pool area is probably busier, but the the gym and evening classes are sparsely populated. They have campaigns a few times throughout the year to try to drum up more interest ... bring a friend days, exciting new programs, open houses, etc. ... and for about a week after the campaign there might be a 2 or 3 new people around, but then they usually disappear. I thought there might be an influx of people for the new year ... new year's resolutioners ... but nope.

So why aren't people interested in working out there? It's a beautiful facility, lots of great equipment, friendly staff ...

My guess is that the problem is the cost. It costs a fortune.

All over this area there are 24-hour cardkey gyms popping up (they are staffed for about 8 hours a day, but members have 24-hour access), and their fees are about 2/3 of our current gym.

IMO, our current gym would do well to drop the fees a little bit, and see if they could get more people in that way.

Meanwhile, for us, we've done the calculations and we can get a good quality treadmill and rowing machine for the cost of 2 years membership. And hopefully we'd still be able to use them for several years after that.
Old 02-26-15, 10:26 PM
randallovelace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode to work (23.9 - forgot to 'Finish' in Strava so it's showing 27 something miles)... didn't ride home - due to working two locations and the 2nd being very late into the night (and I have to be at shop early) - 2nd was also near direct path to my place in the opposing direction of my shop location.
Old 02-28-15, 03:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

From home today ... 22.6 km. A very hilly 22.6 km with 412 metres of climbing (1352 ft). Tough ride.

Fortunately the rain had let up and it even got a little bit sunny at times. Also fortunately, it was a scenic route (yes, there will be photos).

Last edited by Machka; 02-28-15 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 06:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Photos from today ...

Last edited by Machka; 02-28-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 06:44 PM
2manybikes

Photos from today ..

You both should get a jersey and one jacket with a small exact copy of your avatar on them. Seriously.

Unless where you are It's a common thing.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-28-15 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-15, 09:18 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rode home from work, 8 hilly miles. What a relief that there was no snow or sleet falling. I actually made good time.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-01-15, 12:35 PM
randallovelace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.7 miles - 4 stops - LBS, Walmart (only because LBS air pump prices were beyond my budget), Aldi (groceries), and 7-11 (Monster Java - Mean Bean).
Old 03-01-15, 06:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

You both should get a jersey and one jacket with a small exact copy of your avatar on them. Seriously.

Unless where you are It's a common thing.
No, it wouldn't be a common thing ... the common thing is either streetwear or bicycle shop/club jerseys.

And I would wear a jersey with my avatar on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.