Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Niagara Cycle Works, what have I gotten myself into?

Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Old 12-10-15, 09:51 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered an 8 speed nexus on amazon through niagara cycle works before I had read any reviews (it's amazon, I've never had a problem.) The IGH was supposed to be at my house yesterday. It never showed up. I checked the actual UPS tracking number and it says it hasn't even been shipped yet, only that the "label" has been created. Amazon say's it's "shipped." I then looked up reviews, seeing tons of reviews about how their (Niagara Cycle Works) service is terrible and they take forever to ship.

Should I wait it out? It is the holiday season. Should I just cancel the order? The only problem is that this was literally the only place I could find the hub. It's out of stock everywhere else. I'm afraid it's out of stock for them too and they just don't reflect that on their site (or amazon.)

EDIT: I placed the order on amazon on 11/27.
Old 12-10-15, 10:28 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Bad service? Not my experience.

I've never ordered anything from Niagara Cycle through Amazon but use their own website Bike Parts | Road Bicycle Parts | Bicycle Repair Parts - Niagara Cycle as my primary source for tires, tubes, wheels, and small bike parts for perhaps a decade. I can't recall a negative experience with the company. They generally ship within 2 business days using surface transit (UPS?) which takes 5-7 days to reach where I live in the west. One nice thing about the website is they list how many of an item they have in stock at the time of order. I don't bother ordering an item if I know they have enough to fulfill my order. If you order directly you will have instant access to your account on their website to see what is the actual status of the order. They have an "order status" button in the upper right hand corner of the webpage. I often recommend them as a source for bike parts and have never had anyone say they had a bad experience. I rarely can find a place that charges less and they have a really large selection to choose from.
Old 12-10-15, 10:33 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I ordered something from them through Amazon, and they screwed me over. Never again.
Old 12-10-15, 10:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I just resign myself to expecting an extra 2-5 days wait whenever I order from Niagara. I've never had a problem with the orders though, they just take longer to ship than you'd expect.
Old 12-10-15, 10:44 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I ordered an 8 speed nexus on amazon through niagara cycle works before I had read any reviews (it's amazon, I've never had a problem.) The IGH was supposed to be at my house yesterday. It never showed up. I checked the actual UPS tracking number and it says it hasn't even been shipped yet, only that the "label" has been created. Amazon say's it's "shipped." I then looked up reviews, seeing tons of reviews about how their (Niagara Cycle Works) service is terrible and they take forever to ship.

Should I wait it out? It is the holiday season. Should I just cancel the order? The only problem is that this was literally the only place I could find the hub. It's out of stock everywhere else. I'm afraid it's out of stock for them too and they just don't reflect that on their site (or amazon.)

On you Amazon account, go to My Orders and find the order in question. On the right side of the screen you will have options to Contact the Seller or File/View Claim. Shipping glitches, especially during the busy holiday season, are not uncommon. If this is the only place you could find the hub you wanted, I'd work with them. Contact the seller and ask them to follow up on the order. It may have been their error or UPS's but most companies will do everything they can to make it right.

Generally, I don't get too concerned unless an order is at least a few days late.
Old 12-10-15, 10:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
I suspect (only a gut hunch) that Niagara doesn't have all the stock they list as available for sale. Garden variety stuff is probably stocked, but less popular goods special ordered after the sale.

So, they got your order, prepared to ship (label generated), and ordered the hub and are now awaiting it's arrival.

BTW- the practice of order after sale is almost undetectable since delivery of most items from their core vendors is only 1-3 days. The problem happens when they have supply issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 days from now you get an apology and a refund. Or it might finally arrive to their shop and be on it's way.

Your call whether to cancel, but I'd see if I could find an alternate source with it in stock before cancelling.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-15, 10:59 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've bought a number of items from them over the years. never had a problem, although as mentioned, it seems to take a couple of extra days once shipped. really shipped, not just a 'label' created indication.

here's there number why don't you give them a call. (716) 205-1125
Old 12-10-15, 10:59 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
On you Amazon account, go to My Orders and find the order in question. On the right side of the screen you will have options to Contact the Seller or File/View Claim.
I've already contacted them asking about the product. (This morning.) I work for a bike shop, so usually I would have ordered this through our sources, but it's since been discontinued. Because of this I gobbled it up when I saw it pop up on amazon a few days later. I DID immediately look on amazon when I saw it had been discontinued, it wasn't there (unless I was willing to pay more than 2x it's price.) Then, literally two days later it popped up in my "recommended items" list. So it was listed to amazon AFTER it had been discontinued from our sources. I'm worried that their supplier is the same as ours and that they won't be able to get it.

I'm willing to wait. I actually ordered the 7 speed through the shop before I saw the 8 speed on amazon, so I have a hub, I just wanted the 8 speed (mainly for the 1:1 direct drive gear that is missing in the 7 speed.)
Old 12-10-15, 11:02 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I used to order from them, but had the same issue--they're really, really slow, and the delivery estimates often seemed more like guesses than actual facts.
Old 12-10-15, 11:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
They are one of the few online vendors I use, and I have never had a problem. A colleague just asked me (like 15 minutes ago) for the name of a good online bike part retailer and Niagara was the first one on the list. I have never bothered going through Amazon to order from them, though.
Old 12-10-15, 11:04 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I have purchased from Niagara several times in the past, however, it was directly from them, not via Amazon. Never an issue, in fact their customer service was outstanding as I had ordered the wrong part and they got me set up with the right one rather quickly.
Old 12-10-15, 11:06 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I just resign myself to expecting an extra 2-5 days wait whenever I order from Niagara. I've never had a problem with the orders though, they just take longer to ship than you'd expect.
That's been my experience too. They're pretty open about it, you can track your order's progress on line to see when it gets picked.
Old 12-10-15, 11:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts

Relax and wait for it to come.

Never had a problem with them.

Old 12-10-15, 11:29 AM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll give it some more days. If it's not shipped by next week, I'll call them and see what's going on.

EDIT: It DOES say it's in stock on their website. (2 of them)
Old 12-10-15, 11:30 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll give it some more days. If it's not shipped by next week, I'll call them and see what's going on.
Why wait....call them right Now.

Old 12-10-15, 11:53 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Good prices and selection, actual human beings you can call and email, slow but dependable. Another satisfied customer of many years here. It does suck that the amazon deal with them doesn't show up on time.. never tried that but that is not right. They need to fix that.
Old 12-10-15, 12:09 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have placed many orders through Niagara. They have lots of stuff that other online retailers don't have. I once placed an order for an item that went out of stock before they were able to ship the product. They kept the order open for 60 days and cancelled the order when they didn't get new stock in that time. I don't consider that to be Niagara's problem. Your case is even less Niagara's fault IMO. You're trying to source a part that you know is discontinued. Good luck. I hope you get it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.
Old 12-10-15, 12:55 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I would not be surprised if they are a smaller shop and got swamped with Black Friday orders and are backed up or have to wait for a supply drop. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the vendor to provide an honest estimated delivery date. I ordered a fridge from Lowes that said one month delivery (sucks to have old house with small space and have to order smaller fridge not in stock that cost more than the next size up). I was happy when two weeks later I got a call that the fridge had arrived.

Shipping delays happen, especially at this time of year. A lot of folks I know have been grumbling about delays from UPS. I had an Amazon UPS delivery two nights ago at 8:30 PM!
Old 12-10-15, 01:06 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just did a quick search and I've ordered from them 6 times since 2014...I usually waited 4 days for the items to ship
Old 12-10-15, 02:09 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had an Amazon order (not from Niagara) miss the delivery date. It's probably going around, right now.
Old 12-10-15, 03:11 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I recieved an e-mail back from them this afternoon.

I really should have waited an extra day before worrying. They said that the shipment was lost and that they shipped out another package the next day and gave me an updated shipping number.

That, honestly, would have been nice to know in the first place, but it seems that it's still coming my way after all.

All in all, I'd say OK customer service. Bad for not telling me in the first place, good for getting back to me so quickly.

The new tracking number says the package will be here today, but I'll give it till tomorrow before I start worrying.

Last edited by corrado33; 12-10-15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 05:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
When ordering from Niagara you just cant check the tracking status every hour. Seriously, they have about a half bazillion stops and transfers before an order leaves on the brown truck.
Old 12-10-15, 10:44 PM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Glad your shipment issue has been resolved. In future, remember that many online companies drop ship from big distributors and their Amazon ad may not always represent current stock status at those warehouses. If something is out of stock everywhere else, it's a good idea to call the company and verify that they actually have the part in hand before ordering.
Old 12-10-15, 11:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Now with any luck both packages will arrive at your door and they will tell you to just keep them because return/restocking/revising records would be too much hassle.
Old 12-10-15, 11:47 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Now with any luck both packages will arrive at your door and they will tell you to just keep them because return/restocking/revising records would be too much hassle.
That would certainly be interesting. Honestly though I think the shipping "label" was lost, not the actual box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.