Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Black Mountain Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Black Mountain Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 07:37 AM
Larry Nigro

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn Traveler Sol d, 2012 Ted Wojcik, 2012 S pecialized Roubaix, 2016 Motobecane Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black Mountain Road Bike

Hello
Looking into purchasing a Black Mountain Road bike size 56 CM. Company is located in Point Reyes Station CA.
Have been in contact via email with owner Mike Varley. He sent me a detailed spec of the 56 CM complete bike with all measurements.
Comments from anybody riding a Black Mountain road bike or any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-18, 02:28 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have an MCD on order.

I don't think you can go wrong with Mike, he is a master at his craft (he designed bikes for Masi) and if you drive/ride around the area you will see lots of his bikes on the road or parked in front of cafes/shops in the area. Everyone I have talked to has gushed about their bike.

You are going to get a solid performing bike that will last for years. He has the frames electroplated to prevent rust (salt air in Point Reyes), then traditional wet paint, then a clear power coat on top. Should be pretty indestructible.

Review, if you are interested:

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-bike-of-2017/
Old 05-26-18, 07:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Not a road frame, but i have one of his monstercross frames for gravel riding.

absolutely love it and havent want anything else.

both frames share things like- well thought out fender mounts, very good quality paint and finish, no proprietary components needed, and neutral geometry.

i came so so very close to buying a road frame last fall since he now carries the frame size i need in the road frame.
i ended up taking a frame building class this winter instead...and built a frame that is eerily similar in style to the Balck Mountain road frame

the new disc road and gravel frames are a nice addition as i know many people have cried about no disc frame availability and im sure mike will sell more frames this way, but the rim brake frames with 700c wheels are just so classically good looking and in my view they are superior.
Old 05-26-18, 09:36 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Love mine! Do it. Great riding bike, super comfy and stable but still has some zip when you push it (for a full steel fork+frame). Mike V was great to deal with for sizing, communication etc. I’m on a 56 too @5’11”/ ~76.75cm saddle height.
Old 05-27-18, 12:11 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

the new disc road and gravel frames are a nice addition as i know many people have cried about no disc frame availability and im sure mike will sell more frames this way, but the rim brake frames with 700c wheels are just so classically good looking and in my view they are superior.
From his latest blog:

About 3 weeks ago, I opened the window for deposits on the incoming disc brake frames and was blown away by the demand. In only a couple of days, the 59cm and 56cm MCD frames were sold out. Actually, it looks like there is one 56cm pink MCD available as of now (May 24, 2018). There’s still plenty of 53cm and smaller frames, though and plenty of all sizes of Road+ frames. Plenty is a relative term, as prior to this, I would have thought it to be plenty, but I was taken aback by the demand of these new disc frames.
And he has mentioned the Avid 4 Canti shorty brakes are no longer available... which kinda sucks.
Old 05-27-18, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
And he has mentioned the Avid 4 Canti shorty brakes are no longer available... which kinda sucks.
Funny you mention this as i recently thought about trying some new cantilever brakes just to see if i like them more, but decided to stick with what i have.

25-30 year old Suntour XCD cantilevers are great looking(love the gray), extremely adjustable, and easy to set up. They stop me how i want every time, which is all that i hope for.
I have XCE cantis on my touring bike- same opinion- easy to set up and adjustible.