Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant Tcr Advanced SL 0 vs 2015 SWorks Tarmac Red

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 04:15 PM
nusnus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys, I need some help deciding between a 2016 Giant Tcr advanced SL0 and 2015 SWorks Tarmac (SL5 frameset). I'd mainly be using this bike for climbing and faster group rides. Currently I own a Trek Domane 5.9 for touring and commuting.

The SL0 is a custom build that comes with Di2 Dura Ace 9070 groupset, Ultegra 8000 crankset, and Tune hubs laced to Hed Belgium rims and sapim spokes. The price is $3000.

The SWorks comes with complete Sram RED mechanical groupset and Specialized Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheels. The bike will cost about $3300.

I've taken both bikes for short test rides around the block but unfortunately not over any hills or descents. Both feel nice, stiff and compliant. I'm neutral when it comes to mechanical vs electronic shifting. The SWorks is size M (54) which feels a bit more relaxed. The SL0's ISP was cut for a smaller rider so seat spacers are needed. In addition I'll be 'sizing down' from a Medium to a Small (I'm 5'8'') so the SL0 feels a bit more slammed.

Both are pretty incredible bikes and I admit are likely more bike than I need. Notwithstanding, I'd like to hear your thoughts about which one would be the better buy. Much appreciated.