Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2005 TREK Madone 5.2 OCLV Carbon 120 or 2013 Trek Alpha 1.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 07:20 PM
LSUMykuL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently helping my brother purchase a second hand bike to begin training for a charity ride coming up in a few months. I have found three bikes i feel would be a good fit for him but wanted more experienced riders to chime in for some input. The bikes are listed below with the information i have on them.

1. 2005 TREK Madone 5.2 OCLV Carbon 120
Additional Details: BONTRAGER wheels with Bontrager 700 X 23 Race Lite Hard Case Triple Puncture Proof Tire, All SHIMANO gears and brakes
Price: $450-$500

2. 2013 Trek Alpha 1.2
Additional Details:
Comes with all items listed: headlight, phone holder, helmet, tail light, bag on back with cartridge pump, all very new and in excellent shape. Shoes and cleats used once. Size 11.5. Seat was over $200 worn but very good for long rides! Trek air pump. I also have a trek Jersey a red jersey (xl) and two pairs of riding shorts (excellent shape, used a few times) size is Large. Selling everything as a package. No low ball offers. It’s a good way to get everything at once for a great price. I’m 6’1 205 lbs. Very lightweight bike. Carbon fork (note, sizes for everything are the right size for my brother)
Price: $520

3. 2014 Specialized Allez
Additional Details:
Bike comes with profile design handles, shimano gear system and a speedometer
Price $450

Again, all input is appreciated. Thank you for helping me with my first post to date.
Old 01-16-19, 09:27 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can give some tips .

What ever bike fits him the best should be good .
they are all decent bikes .
Inspect the carbon for cracks or chips micro fractures could exist and require a repair.
They should all come with 2x9 or 10 drive trains .
wheels are a big deal i would look at the weight of mavic askium race wheels and try to stick as close to that weight as possible . those wheels never let me down and are very affordable.
id have a hard time choosing those are 3 solid choices with the only real downsides are carbon could have secret micro cracks and maybe groupset choice .
Old 01-17-19, 06:12 PM
LSUMykuL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, i was hesitant to tell him to go with the Madone in my opinion...i felt it was a better choice, assuming all bikes are perfect in condition. I ride an alpha 1.5 and with the accessories (minus the clothing in the deal of course), i think its a solid deal and a familiar safe bet. This is also assuming it all checks out. I appreciate your time and input.