Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is an e-bike the answer? And how to make it happen?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 11:36 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

This is part technical question, part social question. Here's the situation: A group of us have ridden together for 12 years. Our rides generally range between 25 and 100 miles -- mostly in the 25 to 50 mile range. Historically, we've kept an easy 17.5 mph average pace without really thinking about it. Now the problem . . . the oldest rider in our group, age 64, has in the last year started having health issues. He's still able to ride, but his average speed, when he's really working at it, is about 14.5 mph. The rest of us will still ride with him, but the slow pace means that most of us are riding well down in "zone 1" and getting very little, if any, exercise benefit from the time on the bike. The pace differential has become a real problem for everyone in the group. Everyone, including the newly slow guy, has commented on it.

Question 1 -- Is an e-bike a viable solution to this problem? Will an e-bike produce enough boost for enough miles to help the slower guy keep up with the group over the course of 50 miles?

Question 2 -- If an e-bike IS the answer, how would you approach this with the slower guy? He's got the money to be able to afford an e-bike. Once, last year, he said that he would get an e-bike before he stopped riding entirely. How do you break it to an old friend that the time has come?

Thanks for your advice and recommendations. If an e-bike won't solve the problem, of course, the question is moot.
Old 02-08-19, 01:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You can do the following:

-let them skip pulls and don't let it bother you
-give friendly info about e-bikes
-he'll eventually have to move to a "greenway" ride at like 14mph

I don't see an e-bike as you age as a let down at all. Especially for a purely fun recreational group trying to keep folks together. It might be a conversation to have over a beer man to man or woman to woman or whatever. They'll likely admit to as much as they feel and then consider it. Just be positive and on point about wanting to keep them coming out and enjoying.

There's things an e-bike can let many riders see or do that wouldn't be fair otherwise.

When I took my bike to France for work, there were folks going up into the mountains on e-bikes with a big smile looking around that NEVER would have made it on a normal bike. Even with a 34/32. It made me happy seeing those people. And they weren't "gassing it" like a moto either. Just a normal climbing pace of a normal manual bike.

I've changed my mind a lot on e-bikes and think they have a very good place in the world for quite a few people.
Old 02-08-19, 02:08 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
+1 with the above, but it's surprising the individual hasn't made allowances already since he should be able to realize that he's slowing the group. He should be able to locate many examples that will give 25 miles of assistance, but 50 could be a stretch.
Old 02-08-19, 03:06 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You'll need the right ebike, of course. Probably have to hit a bike shop and outline the requirements.The technical is solvable, but the shop has to be honest and sell you a bke that can do that, Range of 50 miles at 18 mph, with power available to the full class 3 limit of 28 mph. Might need to carry a spare battery. Probably should rent the bike for a trial. Hate to see someone drop big bucks on an ebike and get the wrong one.
Old 02-08-19, 03:16 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
FWIW, I'm getting a kit to use when I ride with my adult son. He's capable of 20mph+ easily and I'm able to sustain 14-15 mph max. After some rides where he would go ahead and then have to wait for me, I realized it wasn't working well for both of us. I'd just approach your slower friend with the idea that you WANT him to be able to continue to ride with the group and that time takes it's toll on all of us, so an e-bike would allow him to continue riding with you all now and in the future. I guarantee you, he knows he's getting slower and he's probably afraid to bring it up because it might mean not riding with you guys and maybe he's not sure you'd be okay with a motor (some roadies are not). Make it more about wanting to include him and I bet he will be relieved!
Old 02-08-19, 04:19 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Why would you need an ebike that powers to 28mph?
Mine cuts at 20mph and my top speed is over 40mph.
Old 02-08-19, 04:25 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Trailangel, you don't need a class III, but if this man cannot keep up with his roadies at 18 mph, he probably does,

Class III is probably more in the spirit of commercially available ebikes for road riders too, I personally prefer unrestricted Class II's because throttles are useful.
Old 02-10-19, 03:32 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1. Yes
2. I'd try to get him to ride a pedal assist bike so he can experience it himself. He can ride on one of the lower levels and put in as much effort as he is comfortable with. The factory ebikes from Trek/Specialized/etc typically aren't as customizable as a DIY as they only have like 4-5 fixed levels of assist.
Old 02-10-19, 03:41 PM
tegnamo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
If he's in the US, Domane+ has a custom-for-Trek ECO mode setting that's only 20% of your pedaling input instead of the stock 50%, so he's really only getting a small amount of assist. Would be great when riding in a group since drafting takes the edge off. If he's pulling, the next mode up is a custom Tour mode which is 100% of pedaling input. So that doubles his effort.

I think on ECO mode for this particular Bosch setup, getting 50 miles is no problem at all. Maybe 60-70 if it's not crazy hilly. Maybe more? I have never run it out to the absolute limit.

If the ECO and Tour modes aren't ideal he can get it flashed with the stock Bosch software which is 50% and I think 120% or something, respectively.
Old 02-13-19, 08:23 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An ebike would be perfect for him to keep up with the group or you guys could get heavier bikes that would keep you out of zone 1. You can get just as good exercise on a heavier bike.
Old 02-13-19, 10:28 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Make sure the Torque Sensing is in the equation. That way he'll feel the control through pedal effort in a progressive manner. My guess is that PAS level 1 will do for now, but he can ramp up as needed
Old 02-14-19, 03:42 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Make sure the Torque Sensing is in the equation. That way he'll feel the control through pedal effort in a progressive manner. My guess is that PAS level 1 will do for now, but he can ramp up as needed
I agree. We have both a torque sensor and cadence sensor electric bikes. I highly recommend the TS. Also, pushing 50 miles is on the upper end of most batteries. Of,course that is based on how much assistance is used during the ride.
Old 02-14-19, 03:49 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Depending on your friend's economic situation, there are killer road bikes available. Take a look at the Bianchi offering although even Trek has a great model.