Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ebike randomly won't start sometimes: battery or throttle?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 07:33 PM
Jeweliamj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im pretty sure it's the throttle but I'm not 100% sure. When I switch the battery on the throttle lights come on but my bike still won't move. A few times in the past I rode in light rain and all of a sudden my bike goes at max speed even if im not holding the throttle down at all. I had to flip the battery off to get it to stop.
So I bought some liquid electrical tape and applied it to all the wires, all connection points and leading into the controller. I also wrapped the wires with plastic wrap and put a large microfiber cloth over the battery and controller tied down with a bungee cord. Rode in the rain and snow a few times with no issue.
Rode my bike to work last night and we had some light rain and strong winds. My bike wouldn't work at all and later that day after being inside for hours it still won't go...
the battery is fully charged and throttle lights still come on. I've reconnected it and checked for any loose wire​​​s.
don't know if im better off just buying a new throttle or what??, I did buy a case for the controller but it doesn't fit..
Old 02-24-19, 08:54 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
What make and model is your bike?
Old 02-24-19, 09:36 PM
Jeweliamj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
What make and model is your bike?
I bought a conversion kit for my 24in bike.
Old 02-24-19, 11:14 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
So what kind of motor? Is the kit throttle only? Does it have a display with speedometer, battery status, etc, or is it just aunit with three LED's for battery status.

Most throttles consist of a three wire chip and magnet that rotates around it. The three wires are power, ground, and signal. I know from experience that if the ground wire comes loose, you get full speed out of the motor. If power or signal comes loose, throttle doesn't work. Here's a pic of a common three wire throttle. The chip just is soldered to the cable and is placed in a slot by the magnet.

Other throttles may have exrta wires to support battery status, on/off buttons to start the bike, or maybe a key switch. The control part is the same as above.

If it is a throttle only ebike, your connector could have come aprt under all that rubber goop. or maybe the chip in the throttle got some water by its three leads. Over time, that moisture gets inside the chip and corrodes the leads.