Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

To buy or not to buy an 2008(09?) Focus Cross Expert?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-05-19, 12:13 PM
Kafviar

Bikes: GT Outpost -98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi, don't know it these kind of threads are OK, if not, apologies.

As topic says, I have the chance to buy an Focus Cross Expert its equipped with ultegra shifters, gears etc. and ofcourse cantilever breaks. The guy claims he bought if for around 1 3000 sek(1 400 USD~~) back in 08/09. He asks 6000 sek(600~~) for it now.

I know people on this forum know their stuff so, in short is the bike worth considering?!

I will use it as a "do-it-all-bike", both road riding and gravel/cx.
Old 03-05-19, 12:19 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Is it a Mares Expert? I don't see a cross expert listed on blue book.

Old 03-05-19, 12:24 PM
Kafviar

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gus6464
Is it a Mares Expert? I don't see a cross expert listed on blue book.
Hmm, I think it should be a "Cross Expert"

"£899 n/a FocusCross Expert Alu Cbn Ultegra SLMavic Aksium"
Found that on this site cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/bike-buyers-guide-2008-98293

Looks exactly like this bike: youtube.com/watch?v=TqDIkIg-SXo
Old 03-05-19, 12:35 PM
gus6464

Ok so basing the price of the 2010 Mares Expert which is basically the same build with Ultegra his bike is overpriced. He really needs to be in the $250 range unless the bike is in absolute perfect condition in which that case it's in the $300 price.
Old 03-05-19, 12:39 PM
Kafviar

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok so basing the price of the 2010 Mares Expert which is basically the same build with Ultegra his bike is overpriced. He really needs to be in the $250 range unless the bike is in absolute perfect condition in which that case it's in the $300 price.
Alright, thanks! Thought it was a bit overpriced, not the answer I was hoping for but oh well, the search continues!
Old 03-05-19, 01:30 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Kafviar
Alright, thanks! Thought it was a bit overpriced, not the answer I was hoping for but oh well, the search continues!
You could try contacting the seller and letting him know about bike blue book as well. Most people don't tend to know about that site when it comes to pricing their bikes.
Old 03-05-19, 02:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
bluebook has no basis in reality. it simply cant take into account the real transactions that take place all over the country/world every day. It doesnt take into account scarcity, seasonality, region, frame size, etc.

but hey- use it if it helps your argument.
Old 03-05-19, 07:49 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
bluebook has no basis in reality. it simply cant take into account the real transactions that take place all over the country/world every day. It doesnt take into account scarcity, seasonality, region, frame size, etc.

but hey- use it if it helps your argument.
Then by that argument you can just make up any price you want based on absolutely nothing but personal feelings. We are talking about a run of the mill cx bike from 2009 here not a rare Colnago frame or similar.
Old 03-06-19, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Then by that argument you can just make up any price you want based on absolutely nothing but personal feelings. We are talking about a run of the mill cx bike from 2009 here not a rare Colnago frame or similar.
I am not saying BlueBook is wrong here, or that your guesstimate is wrong. I am simply saying there is no reason to actually put any faith in BlueBook due to all the vital reasons I listed.
BlueBook could be accurate in this instance just like blind squirrels can find a nut.

KBB, the car pricing tool, uses actual data for its reporting. Actual examples of similar vehicles in similar condition and use, in similar regions, are used for comparison.

I agree with you that this bike isnt worth $600(to me, at least). I simply disagree with using BlueBook to figure out what it is worth.
Old 03-06-19, 05:55 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am not saying BlueBook is wrong here, or that your guesstimate is wrong. I am simply saying there is no reason to actually put any faith in BlueBook due to all the vital reasons I listed.
BlueBook could be accurate in this instance just like blind squirrels can find a nut.

KBB, the car pricing tool, uses actual data for its reporting. Actual examples of similar vehicles in similar condition and use, in similar regions, are used for comparison.

I agree with you that this bike isnt worth $600(to me, at least). I simply disagree with using BlueBook to figure out what it is worth.
Ok so how would a random person who doesn't know anything about bikes figure out what ballpark they should be paying for a bike without bb?
Old 03-06-19, 07:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Ask a shop, look at Craigslist for comparable asking prices, look at ebay for completed sales, phone a friend, etc.

same as it was done 30 years, 15 years, and 8 years ago before BBB came out.
for what its worth, the company claims they are continually refining prices daily to account for everything that's happening in the secondary marketplace. Thsts just total bs though since they cant account for offline transactions.

it often times wildly underestimates bike values. I refurbish bikes as a hobby and almost every time I see a bike on their site it claims a lower value than I usually bought the bike for, much less sold it for once refurbished.

I do sometimes wish it was cited more often on Craigslist when it comes to absurdly overpriced bikes. That 1998 entry level Gary Fisher that weighs 35# wasnt worth $450 20 years ago and certainly isnt worth that now.

All seriousness though, perhaps it will be somehow be worth consistently referencing in a few years.