Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for kid friendly ebike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-09-19, 03:24 PM
ShelbyC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two little kids and am wanting to get out more on my bike with them. I have a fantastic Chariot trailer, but I get so wiped out after a longer commute towing the trailer that I find myself biking less then I would want. I started looking into ebikes as a possible solution to help take the edge off of longer rides pulling 90 lbs of kids and trailer. I am considering a Rad Wagon so I could put my kids on the back eventually, but I’m open to just an electric single passenger bike that could handle the trailer. I would also use this bike by myself to commute to work, so the second option actually appeals to me quite a bit. Any advice?
Old 03-09-19, 06:17 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Disclaimer: My kids are too old to fit in a wagon so this is not from experience. Rad Power bikes seem to be favorites among the individuals who report on them, so this would be a good choice if the weight considerations are maintained and you don't have long, steep routes. A mid-drive OEM bike might be another consideration. It would be worthwhile for you to test one with your load in order to determine whether this is a viable option.
Old 03-09-19, 07:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Can you stow the trailer at the daycare? People do that with car seats sometimes. At one daycare I saw that going on so I asked about my kid seat and they said no problem. At another, they were flummoxed but said yes.

This was a few times a week with kid 1, and hard work. Now with my twins I’d find a different solution that would likely involve an electric long tail, but they haven’t gone to day care.
Old 03-09-19, 08:14 PM
ShelbyC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Can you stow the trailer at the daycare? People do that with car seats sometimes. At one daycare I saw that going on so I asked about my kid seat and they said no problem. At another, they were flummoxed but said yes.

This was a few times a week with kid 1, and hard work. Now with my twins I’d find a different solution that would likely involve an electric long tail, but they haven’t gone to day care.
That would be a great solution for one way trips like when I drop my daughter off at daycare, but I’m thinking about days when I have both kids with me all day.
Old 03-13-19, 04:12 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I previously ran a trailer, I had to uprate a few components though; such as the wheels/tyres, hitch (both on the bike and the arm), and give it long-travel suspension.
She was getting too tall for it though, legs cramped.

Now I have her on the bike with me, and we're both far happier. This meant lengthening the bike with a custom mainframe.
It's far better for me to ride, and she much prefers it too...

Yes I custom built mine, and she's only one child, but in my experience your best bet by a mile is to get them on your bike with you.
There are various ways of going about this, with all manner of cargo bikes available for two or more kids.
Old 03-13-19, 08:23 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Impressive! Would love to learn more about that build.
Old 03-16-19, 08:07 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Not much to it really, just took a rigid tandem and chopped it up to take GT STS rear suspension, built the wheels, chopped and shaped a crank into an armless final drive, fitted it up with my brew of largelyl MTB parts and a 48v system.

Old 03-16-19, 03:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Still wheel motors for flattish Mid Drivers for hill climbing torque You could have fit a mid Drive setup in the front BB..

few years back 'Stoke Monkey' used a Tandem crossover crank , the motor drove the left side chainring..
the right side kept the triple crank.....
Old 03-17-19, 11:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

Are you considering an electric cargo bike? Bike Friday makes a very lightweight one, will carry both kids, lots of options to change the set up as they grow
Old 03-18-19, 03:30 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

For an off-roader or something more sporty/involving, I can understand a mid drive. But a hub is easier. Never in the wrong gear, it's always got your back. I'm permanently in top gear, I don't have to shift for anything. Hubs are better for beginners and are excellent for work horses - especially when you have passengers.