Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking after total knee replacement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 06:03 PM
Franc Franclin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NewMexicoGardne
Hello, am now 8-weeks post right TKR, it really was the right thing to do, no more pain with walking, in the morning, etc. I am 68-years old, female, and we were biking 50-100 miles a week and did PT exercises for 8-months prior to the surgery (because I was headstrong and didn't want to accept that I really needed surgery.) Today on the road bike I noticed that my pedal strokes were pushing my knee medially, it was not comfortable, a simple 12-mile ride. It is like my leg is not pushing straight down, I have to consciously try to move it a little laterally with each pedal. Any suggestions for this? I am still doing all my post-surgery exercises twice a day, the surgeons are amazed at my progress. Am I pushing it to get on the outside bike (should I just stick with stationary biking for now)? Should I just stick with it and keep trying to correct this while biking? Thanks for any help! My knee is straight with my upper leg, but my lower leg is curved a little bit.
I am not an orthopedic surgeon nor am I a physical therapist. I am just someone who had a TKR in December, 2017. I believe you're pushing way too hard. At just 8 weeks post-op your knee is probably still inflamed and warm to the touch (which means its healing) and your leg muscles, especially the small stabilizer muscles around the knee, are nowhere near as strong as they were before your surgery.

Slow down. Work on your PT exercises. Ride a stationary bike at the gym or at PT. Ice your knee several times a day (I iced my knee at least once a day for almost a year. I think it really helped). Enjoy a bike ride when you can, but stop pushing. You'll get there. It's just going to take time.

I hope this helps.

I also advise ditching the clips.

My $.02!
Old 04-21-19, 09:26 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hi New Mexico Gn — congrats on doing TKR surgery.

First advice is to not take bikers’ advices. We are all different and don’t know you. Some TKRs don’t work as well. That said last two posters had what seems some pretty good advice

Second, talk with your therapist assuming you are still going. They are in the best position to know you and your limitations. Your surgeon might be helpful too however the PT person knows you best at this point. They should give you guidelines about stationary and outdoor cycling. Perhaps just spinning indoors for a while is best...they should know. Let them see your knee/leg on a stationary bike for guidance. Then they can offer suggested timings for spinning/riding, effort needed and generally give you a plan to get you where you want to go.

Third, once you ride on the street consider Speedplays. I’ve used them for 6 years and they allow movement of shoes better than others.

Good luck. I’ve ridden 43,000 miles after TKR without an issue although didn’t start outdoor riding until 3 years after TKR. Did do indoor spinning right away with few issues which is why say we are all different.
Old 04-21-19, 11:20 PM
NewMexicoGardne

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Franclin
I am not an orthopedic surgeon nor am I a physical therapist. I am just someone who had a TKR in December, 2017. I believe you're pushing way too hard. At just 8 weeks post-op your knee is probably still inflamed and warm to the touch (which means its healing) and your leg muscles, especially the small stabilizer muscles around the knee, are nowhere near as strong as they were before your surgery.

Slow down. Work on your PT exercises. Ride a stationary bike at the gym or at PT. Ice your knee several times a day (I iced my knee at least once a day for almost a year. I think it really helped). Enjoy a bike ride when you can, but stop pushing. You'll get there. It's just going to take time.

I hope this helps.

I also advise ditching the clips.

My $.02!

Thanks Franc Franclin for your reply, makes so much sense. Yep, I am probably pushing it too much, which is what my PT was concerned about (my enthusiasm to push on the exercises just a little bit too much). Sigh, I guess I will have to hold back for now. Agree with your $.02 and also about "ditching the clips."
Old 04-21-19, 11:24 PM
NewMexicoGardne

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Miami Biker for answering, and good advice. I am thinking I need to improve my foot arch... LOL, but there I go again, doing my own thing. You are right, I had better contact my PT, she gave me her email address after our last appointment. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-19, 09:31 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Listen to your own body and take a break if you need to. I had my left TKR over 8 years ago. I was done with PT at 10 weeks with 142* ROM. I now have 146...

I got away with pushing every limit. Even this stunt just 7 months after TKR...

Although, I did crash on my bike 2 months later, breaking my back, so I doubt I ever try that jump again with my next TKR...

Good luck!!!