Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ready for a new gravel bike

Old 06-23-19, 04:59 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
what other option are there for decent tubeless budget wheels?
Old 06-23-19, 05:20 PM
BobKl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale Slate

I have a Slate and it is great!
Old 06-23-19, 06:06 PM
adefeatedman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Dang dude, you might as well forget the Hunts then. You need a much wider and much more robust wheelset or you will be breaking spokes left and right. My buddy who has been on the weight loss journey for the past year and half is testament to that.
Balls. They are so damn pretty. Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I'm riding gravel tires on the road for now because I'd rather wait to get my weight down instead of settling.
Old 06-24-19, 08:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by adefeatedman
Guys, I bought a bike today. It is exactly like the one above.

The LBS wasn't allowing any test rides for some reason and after standing over a Revolt Adv 0 that they had in my size, I realized it felt awfully familiar. It just felt right. Also, I knew I wanted hydraulic brakes but I hate the larger hoods on the hydraulic levers so the Giant Conduct brakes made sense to me. And that color...

Decided to stop overthinking it and took a leap before it was too late. There were only nine orange Revolts left at the warehouses across the country in my size. Seriously can't wait!

Thank you all for your help.
Congrats!! I have about 450 miles on mine so far, and haven't touched my road bike since I bought the Revolt. lol
Old 06-25-19, 01:29 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I got the 2020 Revolt 2 on Friday in the Grey Beige and it is sweet! I think you're going to be very happy when your new bike arrives.
Old 06-25-19, 04:38 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Check out the Cannondale Topstone. Hard to beat that level of components for the price, and Cannondale makes nice aluminum frames. The 105 hydraulic version comes in at $1,750.

There are some very strong reviews out there for this bike too.
I also recently added to my bike stable a Topstone, in the 105 group. After purchasing an extra set of "road" wheels and tires I have no buyer's remorse about selling my steel road bike. Running with the stock WTB wheels/tires I am now contemplating whether I really need to keep my Yeti full-suspension mountain bike. Single-track is fun and as long as it doesn't get too crazy steep or technical, my Topstone gets me up and over most trails.
Old 06-25-19, 08:39 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
what other option are there for decent tubeless budget wheels?
Define the budget and expectations. Depends. I'd be much happier with a cheaper set of seconds wheels than no second set at all. Some grams on a 13-15 mph all day gravel/mixed ride with 40c+ tires when I have a backpack and extra stuff makes no difference, at least to me. If you are scraping for every last bit of performance in the bike itself than it can.

Last edited by u235; 06-25-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 08:45 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by u235
Define the budget and expectations. Depends.
per the context of the thread. they were discussing HUNT wheels.

so say a budget of something close to that. $400 ? give or take a bit.
Old 06-27-19, 06:49 PM
adefeatedman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Old 06-27-19, 07:57 PM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So I got it and it's glorious. The color just pops in the sun. It's gorgeous.

Some notes from a quick ride before loading it onto the car:
  • Definitely more responsive than my buddy's Jamis.
  • Brakes are less "grabby" than I expected, but the lever feel is lovely.
  • The new 105 front derailleur requires less effort than I've ever experienced.
  • Knobby tires are disconcerting on pavement. Definitely need a second set of wheels/tires. Definitely using my Ritchey for road rides for now.
  • Gearing feels far too low, I might be going back to a regular compact soon.
Scheduled for a gravel ride this Saturday morning, will report back. Can't wait!
Old 06-28-19, 07:13 AM
Rides4Beer

So I got it and it's glorious. The color just pops in the sun. It's gorgeous.

Some notes from a quick ride before loading it onto the car:
  • Definitely more responsive than my buddy's Jamis.
  • Brakes are less "grabby" than I expected, but the lever feel is lovely.
  • The new 105 front derailleur requires less effort than I've ever experienced.
  • Knobby tires are disconcerting on pavement. Definitely need a second set of wheels/tires. Definitely using my Ritchey for road rides for now.
  • Gearing feels far too low, I might be going back to a regular compact soon.
Scheduled for a gravel ride this Saturday morning, will report back. Can't wait!
Looks great!! I might be biased tho lol

The r7000 stuff is def smooth, I like it. I like the gearing, but I have a lot of climbing here.

Have a great ride, I'm hitting some gravel on Sat too, looking forward to it!
Old 06-29-19, 07:48 PM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great maiden voyage today. Have some minor fit issues because I found myself with lower back pain after about an hour on the saddle so we turned around and cut the day a bit short. There's a professional bike fit shop near my office so I'll need to make an appointment.

Bike is excellent though. It has the speed of a road bike and the sure footed ride of a mountain bike. I really don't like these tires, but it's also my first foray into knobbies, so maybe it's just going to take some getting used to.

I'm looking into some road wheels, Rides4Beer, did you have any issues with alignment with the rotors on the road wheels? I found some take off Specialized branded "take-off" wheels that I might use for a while, but was wondering if I should take caution with regard to spacing.
Old 06-30-19, 01:41 AM
Metieval

Great maiden voyage today. Have some minor fit issues because I found myself with lower back pain after about an hour on the saddle so we turned around and cut the day a bit short. There's a professional bike fit shop near my office so I'll need to make an appointment.

Bike is excellent though. It has the speed of a road bike and the sure footed ride of a mountain bike. I really don't like these tires, but it's also my first foray into knobbies, so maybe it's just going to take some getting used to.

I'm looking into some road wheels, Rides4Beer, did you have any issues with alignment with the rotors on the road wheels? I found some take off Specialized branded "take-off" wheels that I might use for a while, but was wondering if I should take caution with regard to spacing.
how tall are you? just curious.
Old 06-30-19, 06:21 AM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metieval
how tall are you? Just curious.
5'9", but with a relatively long torso and shorter arms and legs.

Last edited by adefeatedman; 06-30-19 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Specificity
Old 06-30-19, 06:27 AM
Metieval

5'9", but with a relatively long torso and shorter arms and legs.
I am 5,8" and trying to figure out if I want a medium or not.
Old 06-30-19, 06:28 AM
Rides4Beer

What pressure are you running in the crosscuts? They feel pretty stable on the road to me at 40-50psi, under 40 and there's a lil too much squish for the road (but great offroad). It did take a little getting used to how they handle vs road tires.

No alignment issues, the only "issue" is the difference in rotor thickness. I put Shimano RT81 rotors on my road wheels, and they're thicker than the stock rotors, so when swapping wheels there's a bit of an adjustment period, the brakes will self adjust, you just get a lil rub while it's doing it. So I put Shimano RT86 rotors on the stock wheels so that the swapping is more seamless.
Old 06-30-19, 06:41 AM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am 5,8" and trying to figure out if I want a medium or not.
My Defy is a medium and fits without issue. I think it's a saddle height or reach issue. I'm going to start with lowering the saddle a hair to see if that does it, although a fit isn't a terrible idea.

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
What pressure are you running in the crosscuts? They feel pretty stable on the road to me at 40-50psi, under 40 and there's a lil too much squish for the road (but great offroad). It did take a little getting used to how they handle vs road tires.

No alignment issues, the only "issue" is the difference in rotor thickness. I put Shimano RT81 rotors on my road wheels, and they're thicker than the stock rotors, so when swapping wheels there's a bit of an adjustment period, the brakes will self adjust, you just get a lil rub while it's doing it. So I put Shimano RT86 rotors on the stock wheels so that the swapping is more seamless.
Thanks, I appreciate it. The road wheels I'm looking at are centerlocks but I see no reason why centerlocks can't be shimmed with cassette spacers if needed. But that's a great idea with putting thicker rotors on the stock wheels. At my size, it's probably not a terrible idea anyway.

I'm running the crosscuts at 40 up front and 60 out back. This is my first time riding without slicks, though, so who knows.
Old 06-30-19, 06:47 AM
Metieval

My Defy is a medium and fits without issue. I think it's a saddle height or reach issue. I'm going to start with lowering the saddle a hair to see if that does it, although a fit isn't a terrible idea.
looking at the pictures you posted, it seems your saddle is already really low. hence I was asking about your height
Old 06-30-19, 06:49 AM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
looking at the pictures you posted, it seems your saddle is already really low. hence I was asking about your height
Good catch. After fitting me up, the bike shop forgot to tighten the seatpost and it dropped all the way down when I took it for a ride. I was frustrated so I just loaded it up and took it home and raised it back up myself. I measured against my Ritchey to reset the height, but I think I might have gone a smidge too high.
Old 06-30-19, 06:54 AM
Metieval

oo okay then! lol
Old 06-30-19, 11:50 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Interesting. Thank you, that is quite valuable information.

On a slightly related note, if I road more gravel than I do, I think I would do a custom build on a Niner RLT RDO and not look back. Strictly based on looks and cool factor alone. But with only doing two or three gravel rides a month and being I don't ride outdoors much in the winter, it doesn't make sense to expand the budget that much for a gravel bike.
Get the RDO and don't look back, you can save money by using your old groupset with cabled disk brake like Juin-tech F1

Old 06-30-19, 02:56 PM
adefeatedman

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@Metieval: Also, my buddy is only an inch or two taller than me and he rides a size up. Again, I'm all torso and have super short legs and arms so I am more comfortable with a smaller size. For example, my wife is two inches shorter than I am, but she moves the driver's seat back in my car when she drives it.

Last edited by adefeatedman; 06-30-19 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 06-30-19, 04:18 PM
Metieval

@Metieval: Also, my buddy is only an inch or two taller than me and he rides a size up. Again, I'm all torso and have super short legs and arms so I am more comfortable with a smaller size. For example, my wife is two inches shorter than I am, but she moves the driver's seat back in my car when she drives it.
its all good.
I am really close to buying a Revolt advanced. but... I won't be able to ride one. I was just going off your picture and thinking I should buy a small. I am however sticking to the Medium.