Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli 1A stem and or Cinelli Giro d’Italia bar toast?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-29-19, 05:19 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

This bar and stem are off my Bruce Gordon and I have no reason to believe they are not original.

The bar came to me with an indent or impression from the stem being tightened.

It all holds OK when I’m on relaxing solo rides but on a group ride which will be a more aggressive ride the bar slips—out of saddle or hard braking. Pretty unsettling.

Opinions please on whether the bar is definitely toast or are there tricks to keep it in place?

Also included pics of the inside of the stem to see if anyone thinks it is toast too?

Last edited by obuckler; 06-29-19 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Dupe photo
Old 06-29-19, 06:26 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Both mic to 26.4 but the bar mics a tad ovalized 26.4 one side to 26.2 the other

the bummer is I bought a new issue giro d Italia for 10 bucks from a DC co-op but found out it mics to 26.2 no matter how I measure it on the center and 26.1 on the plain sleeve. So I’m thinking it really may be a 26.0???
Old 06-30-19, 01:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I'm thinkin' you could shim the bar so it doesn't slip. You probably want to use a solid piece of thin metal shim, but a "liquid metal" might also work, maybe even better.
Old 06-30-19, 02:30 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
I'd feel confident using the stem with what I can see from here. Bars? Not so much. I just don't think that's an area where I want to chance things.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-30-19, 02:48 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

I’m feeling better about the stem as it mics to 26.4 every angle. No confidence in bars because of that impression mark and that it mics different left to right — think it’s experienced too much stress.

The last question for the advisors: using a shim for 26.0 new giro bar (it’s an Never installed bar) to my ancient 26.4 stem. I read pro and con advices on other forums. Even read a Sapporo 22oz beer can give you a 0.2 shim so you could bridge the gap in one layer. Others say never shim. Thoughts?

But a cosmetic downside to using old stem is I polished it out since the original ano was all scratched up. So the new bar is milky silver ano (not near as pretty as the original “pearly silver” of the original components) against a shiny stem. The artist in me wants to just spring for a new stem for a better matched look. Then I wonder if getting the never installed bar to match a new cinelli 1a stem well is still a crap shoot as there may be variances in the ano styles?
Old 06-30-19, 04:12 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Having full confidence in the security of my bar/stem combinations is high on my list of "must have".
I have Cinelli bars & stems that have been in service for decades w/o any hint of a problem, all 1A stem and #64x40 bars.
These were the go-to standard "back when" for road racing and I've never seen a failure in service, although I have seen crash damage.

Buying old hardware w/o knowing it's provenance and possible ham-handed install, lack of maintenance, crash damage or abuse is somewhat of a crap shoot, even if it's well known for reliability and long service life. Whatever happened to those bars took some doing, or not-doing, to get in that condition. I'd bin them and having determined that the stem specs out replace w/ another set of 26.4 Cinelli (after close inspection) and test ride to absolutely be sure they are safe.

As far as "shimming"?
Of course not, unless the shimming recommend-er wants to risk his/her teeth and clavicles on a vigorous series of tests involving high speed descents on rough roads, max braking, full-on sprinting, hitting pot holes at speed and standing in big gears on steep hills to get some skin, bone and dental work in the game.

-Bandera
Old 06-30-19, 05:07 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by obuckler
I’m feeling better about the stem as it mics to 26.4 every angle. No confidence in bars because of that impression mark and that it mics different left to right — think it’s experienced too much stress.

The last question for the advisors: using a shim for 26.0 new giro bar (it’s an Never installed bar) to my ancient 26.4 stem. I read pro and con advices on other forums. Even read a Sapporo 22oz beer can give you a 0.2 shim so you could bridge the gap in one layer. Others say never shim. Thoughts?

But a cosmetic downside to using old stem is I polished it out since the original ano was all scratched up. So the new bar is milky silver ano (not near as pretty as the original “pearly silver” of the original components) against a shiny stem. The artist in me wants to just spring for a new stem for a better matched look. Then I wonder if getting the never installed bar to match a new cinelli 1a stem well is still a crap shoot as there may be variances in the ano styles?
I was totally about to tell you a strip cut from an aluminum beer can, this morning but ran out of time... Never shim? I think they meant to say "never Shimano"...
I guess shims, (basically, fixing anything worn) is just a non starter for some folks - Particularly those who grew up after "MacGuyver". (Which just happens to coincide with the end of the friction DT shifting/ toe clip era.). Coincidence... I think not*

It's pretty early in the season to be getting irritated by the (slow) fancy kit / carbon go-fast bike weenies. A whole summer ahead...