Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 09:43 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Front end looks too steep, like it's hit something head on. Fork may be slightly bent or top and down tubes buckled. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah I was waiting for that. Honestly, in real life it might be bent, or it might not be. Or it might be that way from the factory, cause mid-80s Schwinn. But there’s no tubing buckling, no rippled paint, no nothing. My buddy rode it hard the other evening and it tracked true. I really think this is just the way it came, and nothing is wrong.
Old 07-06-19, 05:39 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Yeah, I have been using the skewer and the big wrench... I'll buy and try some actual penetrant -- been using chain lube out of laziness. I've also ordered a new remover tool that isn't garbage, so hopefully have better luck once that arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Without a vice you can put an adjustable wrench clamped in your work stand and use that as your vice to hold the removal tool. Then hold the wheel like a steering wheel and turn.
Old 07-06-19, 07:14 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Front end looks too steep, like it's hit something head on. Fork may be slightly bent or top and down tubes buckled. Hope I'm wrong.
I agree, it's subtle but the fork looks to be tweaked right at the crown, the centerline of the upper legs isn't square to the top of the crown bottom of the lower headset cup. The frame looks OK to me but it's hard to tell from a photo, it could be slightly deformed as well but I believe all the damage is in the fork.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 07-07-19 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 05:58 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Jj

15” x 10” x 6”
I was out this evening on my usual neighborhood cruise when I finally found a bike thing being thrown away!

picked up a nice vintage Wald basket from a household set out. I was looking it over when I saw the name on the bar clamp, Androck! Never heard of them. Looks exactly like a Wald.

Came home and looked it up. This one is a sixties model or so.

I like!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 07-06-19, 08:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Stock bike looks like this. Difference between the catalog bike and the one above is subtle but distinct. Difference in frame sizes between the two should not make that much of a difference in the profile views.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-06-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 11:42 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Third Trek this week. 1990 Trek 950 not far from my house. All original minus tires. $50.

Likes For fender1:
Old 07-07-19, 12:44 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
That is a great haul! I love the matching set of bikes. Funny, I don’t care about matching clothes.
Originally Posted by fender1
2 1981 Trek 715;s and a tub of parts

Old 07-07-19, 12:47 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Oh, I am Jealous of this one! I’ve always hoped to cross paths with one of this style competition. TA rings, sloping fork crown, jubilee RD, all the good stuff. My ideal would be those beautiful capella lugs.
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
There’s been a burst of black Raleigh Competitions surfacing lately, and now I have one again, too! I think mine takes the prize for worst chrome, but it’s my size and the price was fair for its condition. I predict more resto-mid than restoration...

Old 07-07-19, 07:12 PM
Tomsl923833

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
This is my second time owning this Super Sport. 15 years ago my brother gave it to me, and I:
- repainted (sorry)
- replaced stem shifters with downtube shifters (sorry)
- replaced ashtabula crank with 3-piece crank (sorry)
- bearings, cables, etc

After using it as a commuter for a couple years, I gave it back to my brother. Where it sat in his minibarn for the last 10+ years. Now I saved it from the dump, and it needs some TLC. I've repacked bearings. Cleaning deraileurs and reassembly to follow. I guess it would make a good fixed gear, but I'm not hip enough do ride a fixed gear bike. Can't even bring myself to say "fixie".

You're not the only one!!!lol!!!
Old 07-08-19, 12:38 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomsl923833
You're not the only one!!!lol!!!

Dang, that was a while ago. Since then, I gave the Super Sport to my son, who subsequently joined the Air Force and took it with him to bases in San Antonio, South Korea, Turkey, and now Charleston, SC. I just bought him a new road bike for his first birthday back in the states, and the Super Sport has been relegated to storage.

It may come back to me yet again.
Old 07-08-19, 10:18 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I agree, it's subtle but the fork looks to be tweaked right at the crown, the centerline of the upper legs isn't square to the top of the crown bottom of the lower headset cup. The frame looks OK to me but it's hard to tell from a photo, it could be slightly deformed as well but I believe all the damage is in the fork.
Yeah, the fork blades exit the head tube at an angle different than the head tube. Something is wrong there; most likely there is a bend at the steerer tube / fork crown joint (or nearby).
Likes For GregU:
Old 07-08-19, 12:36 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
CCM Caprice 19??

Hello,

Just saved this bike from the dump. The chrome is a bit rusty but after several hours of TLC, this will be perfect for the small trips around the house instead of always taking the car.

If anyone can provide information about what year it could be (@T-Mar: ?) that would be nice.

Last edited by fraba; 07-08-19 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 08:12 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
[QUOTE=HPL;21004884]Actual Saturn team bike. I don't know if the frame design was unique to the pro team or also produced for retail sales. I'd assume the sizing is custom made for the rider (in this case Brian Walton). Frame 1/2 covered in grease (it was dirtier), loose bag of dirty sprockets, no rear wheel, and a horrendously horrible front wheel. Full Dura-Ace though, in all it's greasy glory.[/QUOTE
I worked for Saturn for 15 years and always loved those bikes. Love to see the completed project. Possibly going up for sale?...
Old 07-09-19, 08:18 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
These are pretty much a dime a dozen and towards the bottom of Raleigh’s line, but it has some charm and the price was right. I’m dating this as a 73 Record, but all of the catalogs are showing center pull brakes. This one has side pulls. Any feedback on a year?
Old 07-10-19, 08:18 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Based on the style of the word "Raleigh", I would date it earlier that 1973. Also, I never saw this type of saddle with racing handlebar. You should try to look here: The Headbadge: A Vintage Bicycle Resource
Enjoy!
Old 07-11-19, 02:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by fraba
Also, I never saw this type of saddle with racing handlebar.
You needed to be working in bike shops in the '70s and '80s. You'd have had your fill of that setup.
Old 07-11-19, 03:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Literally saved from the dump

Hi there.

I posted these images a few years ago and asked what make of bicycle this is. Someone told me the make and that it was made in Manitoba, Canada. I've tried searching but can not find either the post or the thread it was in. This bicycle was literally saved from a trip to the dump or to the scrap metal dealer.

So, can someone identify the make of this bicycle?

Thanks and cheers

Old 07-11-19, 06:51 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Hi there.

I posted these images a few years ago and asked what make of bicycle this is. Someone told me the make and that it was made in Manitoba, Canada. I've tried searching but can not find either the post or the thread it was in. This bicycle was literally saved from a trip to the dump or to the scrap metal dealer.

Thanks and cheers

Looks like a Sekine headbadge.
Old 07-11-19, 07:05 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
It is indeed a Sekine. And it would have been made in Manitoba. Sekine was fairly common in Canada in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Sekine Bicycle History

CANADIAN SEKINE BICYCLES DATABASE

Originally Posted by Narhay
Looks like a Sekine headbadge.
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Hi there.

Thanks and cheers

Old 07-11-19, 07:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
It is indeed a Sekine. And it would have been made in Manitoba. Sekine was fairly common in Canada in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Sekine Bicycle History

CANADIAN SEKINE BICYCLES DATABASE
Thanks, that's a big help.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-13-19, 11:25 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I have absolutely no luck at the dumps, or the thrift stores. Must be the area. Mostly Walmart trash.
Don't forget Craigslist, just search "free", or go to bikes for sale and put in sorting for prices. Believe me, something usually shows up every month or so, albeit not always the right size, often something to strip parts from. Also, check out pawn shops, quite often there's a gem they just want to clear out. Unfortunately, pawn and thrift shops are frequently checking online to see what they've got and what it's selling for, often using the wrong info to base their price on. That didn't happen much 20 years ago, but now it's common practice. I know a thrift shop owner who pretty much checks all his items online, and then only sells the "good" stuff online or has it in the shop at "non-thrift" prices. I don't expect to go into a real thrift store seeing prices over $20 for pretty much anything, but nowadays there are "thrift" shops selling higher priced "antiques and collectables" right along with the junk; these places usually have much higher prices, but no necessarily better "junk". My bike shops (the used bike types, not ones selling new bikes) that I frequently visit often have something to checkout in the "junk" bin/rack, not always dirt cheap, but still usually a very good buy. I learned how to haggle a little for a bargain and also trying to act ignorant (not too hard for me) when finding the diamond in the rough. Having just scored some early 70's 3ttt stems and bars for $15, that are selling on ebay for $75-$100 or more makes it easier to spend a little more for that other missing part that is on ebay at a premium price. Another place to look is in the classified ads, used stuff, yard sale, and estate sale listings. Some killer bikes at estate sales that sellers are just trying to move. Also, local auctions, many having online bidding as well as live. I saw an Atala full Campy Nuovo Record late 60's-early 70's sell for $70; same bike on ebay selling for $300-500. Good luck hunting!
Old 07-13-19, 11:30 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Three bikes followed me home last week. Might keep the first one as I have never had a mountain bike and seems a good fit, it's either a 1994 or 1995 Giant Sedona ATX. Actually in pretty nice shape save for the gooey rubber hand grips. Seatpost is as low as it goes in the picture.

And the next two both followed me home yesterday (Saturday) morning.
First we have the mystery pity Mixte bike, because I feel pity for it... let's see if anyone can figure out why (more than one reason really).

Did BMX ever make anything that had larger than 20" wheels with multiple speeds? Bike was very obviously yellow originally before getting a rather lousy blue spraycan paint job. It's a 5-Speed with Simplex branded shifter & derailleur. I'm doubting the BMX brand tag is original to the bike as there's no blue paint on it, haha!
Checked over the bike elsewise and can't even find a serial number. Person I bought it from said it was purchased used and they then used it to commute around on the local college campus. It's had the rear brake and gear shift cables replaced, the brake pads replaced, and the tires replaced within the last ten years... but, uh, yeah, it needs serious attention.
Old 07-14-19, 02:41 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Italian "Splash" Paint Job

Found a lonely Basso/Columbus fork, disguised with some "fancy" paint work. Hate to think of what might have happened to the frame! I have a Gios compact Pro that needs it cut-down to size, now at 19cm. Anybody have a Gios fork with at least a 18cm steerer? I'd prefer to keep it correct to the maker. Would use this fork elsewhere if I can find a Gios fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190714_032510.jpg (1.05 MB, 998 views)
IMG_20190714_032256.jpg (751.4 KB, 989 views)
IMG_20190714_031904.jpg (876.8 KB, 992 views)
IMG_20190714_032102.jpg (649.9 KB, 1000 views)

Last edited by HPL; 07-14-19 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 04:54 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2437 Post(s)
Liked 3,120 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Found a lonely Basso/Columbus fork, disguised with some "fancy" paint work. Hate to think of what might have happened to the frame! I have a Gios compact Pro that needs it cut-down to size, now at 19cm. Anybody have a Gios fork with at least a 18cm steerer? I'd prefer to keep it correct to the maker. Would use this fork elsewhere if I can find a Gios fork.
I had been watching that one on ebay, and had the same questions. Poor Basso frame in heaven?
Old 07-14-19, 08:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts

I picked up some fresh TA Specialties pista pedals that I'm going to put on my Gitane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.