Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which ones are most likely to get stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which ones are most likely to get stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 05:06 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Diamondback: Doesn't stand out.
Brand wise, I don' think it matters. Frames will be stripped and painted anyways.

After that I would look for the components. Which bicycle can I strip and sell all the components the easiest. Actually for just 'regular' thieves, I would think medium to entry level stuff is good to go. Keep the cheap bicycles going. High end stuff would be harder to get rid of and not worth the trouble.

The majority of bicycle thieves here seem to be homeless. Thieves of opportunity.

Been thinking about some of this as I've already had one bicycle stolen right from under me. Cabled my bicycle to a fence while I ran upstairs to get a quick bite to eat. Twenty minutes later it was gone.

Anyways, he (I say he because I actually saw my bicycle being ridden down the road, another story!) took my vintage Specialized Rockhopper. Now if I had one of my road bikes cabled to the fence would he have stolen it?

Probably not as my carbon bike has a fairly unusual profile and I could probably recognize it even if painted. My Bianchi, maybe for it's a steel frame.
Then again maybe not for both bicycles are Campy equipped and I'm not sure how easy that stuff would be to sell.
You don't see many high end bicycles at the police auction or Campy for sale on CL.
Based upon that kind of logic, I used to worry more about my beater bike than my high end stuff.
Old 07-01-19, 05:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
None from the OP's list are particularly attractive brands. If I were the selective thief, I'd want a desirable bike, like:

Canyon
Pinarello
Merckx
BMC
Cervelo
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-01-19, 09:10 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
The OP is giving the average bike thief too much credit. The vast majority of bike crimes are thefts of opportunity. Rarely is the thief sophisticated enough to be selective among major brands. They may skip over total junk, but any bike they can sell or strip for quick and easy $$$ will do just fine. Joy riders are even lazier. Easy access and poor lock/technique are what will get your bike pilfered, not the name on the downtube. There are some sharks out there who carry battery operated cutoff grinders and stalk high-end merchandise, but they are few and far between.
Old 07-01-19, 11:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Echoing 2nd reply , the one locked up the most poorly ,

and in a city which has people willing to buy bikes which have been stolen.
Old 07-01-19, 12:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Journey20
And according to some things I've read, some bike thieves tend to go for certain brands/models which is why I'm wondering about these ones.
I'll agree that may be a factor some of the time but my thinking is the majority of bike thefts are crimes of convenience for the thief to get someplace he wanted to go. Paint it pink and maybe he'll be ashamed to be seen riding it.
Old 07-01-19, 12:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
This is sort of like asking whether beer snobs would go for Bud Light or Milwaukee’s Best first.

If they are dying for a beer and there are no other options they will take whatever is colder.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-01-19, 02:26 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Okay, so I should have added that we would assume that they would all have the same lock, be in the same location etc.

And according to some things I've read, some bike thieves tend to go for certain brands/models which is why I'm wondering about these ones.
The common bike thief won't know the difference and likely won't care and will usually pick the lowest hanging fruit; of those you listed it's a toss up. Condition being equal and if I were the thief, I'd probably snag the Marin.
Old 07-02-19, 02:26 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
The blue one
Old 07-02-19, 03:14 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I think the names Raleigh or Diamondback would be more recogniseable than the rest, so would be easier to find a buyer for. Marin might have some cache with the traditionalist MTB crowd, and that's about it.

I'll echo what was said above about crimes of convenience, but also note that I've had 2 bikes stolen, ever. One, a Trek road bike, stolen along with several other bikes (as many as 20-30) all chained up in a downstairs garage of an apartment complex. The thieves clearly had targeted the site, though I don't know if they had anything to do with the garage's electronic lock being disabled leaving the gate wide open. Judging by the 3 or 4 bikes left behind, and the bikes that had been locked the night before, these guys had a big van, and knew the difference between a €50 and €1,000 bike.

2nd time, our 2 bikes were locked together in the car-port. Judging by the strands of cable on the ground, the thief (there must have only been 1) took some time cutting through the (admittedly flimsy) cable lock, and made off with my wife's $100 beach cruiser, leaving my Schwinn Fastback (Tiagra-equipped road bike, approx $1000 retail at the time) behind.
Old 07-03-19, 06:03 PM
vader957

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The one with the cable lock.
Old 07-03-19, 10:43 PM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, I agree with poster #2 . Any unlocked bike will be the first ones stolen. If you fear leaving a bathroom or store & you'll be sprinting down the street after it. Seen bike cops use their handcuffs on their 2 wheel cruisers. Jamis & KHS & Kona, seem to stick with the mostly same balance of road, hybrid bikes thru the years. I remember the early Jamis Earth Cruisers. happy 4th .
Old 07-07-19, 06:56 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Out of the brands listed below, if you had to put in order which ones do you think would get stolen first? Assuming the bike in question is of roughly equal value.

Diamondback
Fuji
Jamis
Marin
Motobecane
Raleigh
Definitely Diamondback as most thieves steal in alphabetical order.
Old 07-07-19, 07:36 PM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
While not in the list of bicycle brand names in the original post, I'd guess Cannondale ,Trek, Specialized and Giant would be the most tempting targets as they are the biggest bicycle brands in the USA with the least secure, shiniest bikes the first taken, regardless of brand
Old 07-08-19, 11:58 AM
hschonzeit

Bikes: Lotus Classique

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
I have a couple of bikes. One would be worth about $2k if it were new (Aluminum Cannondale Synapse with upgraded wheelset and 105 drivetrain). The other would be worth about $1k as outfitted if new (Aluminum Cannondale Quick CX with Alivio components and a Tubus rack).

Which one do I worry more about when I chain it up somewhere? The Quick, because its flashy color scheme just looks more enticing, and because it has platform pedals, flat bars, and a rack. Any dweeb tall enough to mount it could ride it off into the sunset. The Synapse has clipless pedals, drop bars, a subdued (even boring) color scheme, and no rack. It would be a little more difficult for someone to hop on it and ride off, and the color scheme just isn't all that enticing -- it doesn't stand out to someone who doesn't know what they're looking at.

Fortunately for me I've never lost a bike to theft. My hybrid is my commuter bike, but at work there's a key-card access bike cage and we individually lock our bikes inside the shared cage. Anywhere else, it's not out of my sight for long. I guess it could possibly go missing when I ride it to the gym; that's the one spot I park it for several hours without it being in my line of sight, though it is in a very public area and in front of windows that are visible from inside the gym.

I don't tend to park my road bike on racks much. It's for riding, not for trips to the store / work / gym, etc.

All locks can be defeated given enough time, and enough time is measured in minutes, not hours or days. The best approach, I think, is to have the best lock among the bikes on the rack you lock up to. Having a less flashy bike can probably help too; given the same locks, the junker bike is less likely to disappear than the flashy high end one.

At my home I have a Ring doorbell/camera and a Ring motion light/camera in front of the house. I know we cyclists constitute a smaller potential market than companies like Ring are seeking to conquer, but hopefully someday a kit with a beacon GPS and motion-activated front/rear cams will become commonplace and affordable for cyclists. It would be great if a bike could report its whereabouts and send pictures periodically of the front and rear view. Better still if the front-view cam had a selfie-facing camera too so you could receive mug shots of the rider. But we're not there yet; beacon GPSs exist but I suspect they would require a cell signal which can mean an expensive contract. Motion detecting cameras, I don't think, are a thing yet for bikes, and certainly not ones that send their captures to the owner.

But the technological revolution is still ongoing. And the public interest in expensive eBikes may just be motivation enough for security systems to be developed.

Nobody wants to get to the point where bikes need license plates and registration stickers as cars do, but vehicle theft is a lot less compelling in a world where vehicles are easily identified and bogus registrations are not easy to fake.
My adult daughter did a very clever trick to avoid having her bike stolen. She plastered it with garish stickers. It looks kind of ugly, but no one could sell a bike looking like that. For many of us, we care a lot about how our bike looks, but if protecting your bike is your first priority, her solution works.
Old 07-08-19, 12:24 PM
jimrno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Downtown Reno NV bike

I read a post long ago stating that homeless types prefer flat bar fatter tire style bikes for personal use because: they are comfortable for street riding and standover, and, one can sling multiple grocery sacks over a flat bar easily. He suggested his ugly older downtube shifter and tall(bonus) road bike thus was highly unlikely to be snagged for a homeless runabout. My personal experience is my similar 35 year old rattle can painted road bike has always been waiting for me even though I only use a combination cable lock. And I can't believe the freaking 20lb logging chains that poor people use to secure their $35 beaters.
Old 07-08-19, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Judicially ,Court Ordered, Cyclists seem to opt for Mountain bikes when they lose their Licence.
Old 07-08-19, 10:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by hschonzeit
My adult daughter did a very clever trick to avoid having her bike stolen. She plastered it with garish stickers. It looks kind of ugly, but no one could sell a bike looking like that. For many of us, we care a lot about how our bike looks, but if protecting your bike is your first priority, her solution works.
Did you say this to here?

Spoiler