Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My bike has fork chatter!

Old 05-26-19, 08:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
My bike has fork chatter!

Lame.

It just appeared today on a 6mi ride with my kids to a park. Apparently the 9mph coasting speed was too much for the setup and it cried uncle by chattering every time I applied the front brake.

Nothing is new and nothing has changed recently.
I have some old high level SunTour XC canti brakes with koolstop pads toed-in and use a fork cable hanger.

Never chatter on this bike before, I assume due to the cable hanger I use and the toe-in.
Odd.
Interested to see what needs to be adjusted- the pads? Tighten the cable hanger?

I only mention this due to the odd timing of not happening and I chuckled when I thought about how foreign this topic is on the forum due to tech.
Old 05-26-19, 09:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My AlAn cross super was terrible, in that,

Now I understand mini V brakes would have helped..
Old 05-26-19, 09:09 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I use canti's and deal with it off and on. Usually pad angle.

Funny about tech. Sometimes people complain about mech disc and think they need hydraulic and scoff at canti/V brakes. I just replaced my old front V brake pads and nearly flipped over the bars when I first used them. They stop so dramatically that they easily compress my suspension fork immediately and lock up the wheel. I just did a 13 km descent today and barely used/felt any pressure on the levers.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-26-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 06:27 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Do you have glazing on your rims? Try cleaning. Clean the pads too.
Old 05-28-19, 01:05 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
The cable hanger that mounts to the fork crown is supposed to help a lot. Tektro makes one that looks decent enough.
Old 05-28-19, 01:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,911 Times in 2,544 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
The cable hanger that mounts to the fork crown is supposed to help a lot. Tektro makes one that looks decent enough.
The OP uses a fork crown hanger.
Old 05-28-19, 01:17 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The OP uses a fork crown hanger.
lol guess i need to learn how to read!

I'd probably swap the pads since nothing has really changed on the bike it seems like the easiest place to start... the pads are really the only thing that "ages" I guess.
Old 05-28-19, 09:25 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Maybe you've already checked this, but make sure your headset's preload is set correctly. I chased after a similar chatter issue recently, and it turned out I just put a slightly-too-small spacer above the stem.
Old 05-29-19, 06:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Hi all- just coming back to say thanks for the suggestions. I havent had time to look at it, but plan to tonight since tomorrow's plan is a 40mi gravel ride followed by a 30mi paved ride in the evening.

Ill loosen the stem and check the headset preload, make sure the brake pads are toed in, clean off the pads, reset the wheel in the drop outs, and make sure the cable hanger is secure. As a last resort, ill shake the brake cable a few times then slam the bike down and forward multiple times with the brake engaged since that is apparently my default and confused go to move.
Old 05-31-19, 08:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
If the bike happens to have threaded headset, a roller bearing headset might help. I used a Miche Miche 1'' Threaded Needlebearing Headset - now factory discountinued on an old Cannondale and it smoothed out nicely.
Old 07-07-19, 09:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Well I finally got around to looking at this bike today. Loosened the stem, tightened the headset, retightened the stem, and all is back to perfect.
Really crazy since the headset didn't feel loose to begin with.

I can't wait to finally get back on the gravel bike. It's been a month and I'll finally get in a ride or two in the coming weeks.
Road riding leading up to ragbrai has taken up way too much riding time!
Old 07-07-19, 09:10 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well I finally got around to looking at this bike today. Loosened the stem, tightened the headset, retightened the stem, and all is back to perfect.
Really crazy since the headset didn't feel loose to begin with.

I can't wait to finally get back on the gravel bike. It's been a month and I'll finally get in a ride or two in the coming weeks.
Road riding leading up to ragbrai has taken up way too much riding time!
Woot. Good job. I'm not sure I understand why you have to ride a road bike to "train" for RAGBRAI?
Old 07-08-19, 04:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by shoota
Woot. Good job. I'm not sure I understand why you have to ride a road bike to "train" for RAGBRAI?
I help run an at risk youth cycling mentorship program where teens ride with peers and mentors 3x/week. We start in March with indoor training, then ride April thru July. Rides are 25-75mi, depending on time of year and weather.

I usually ride twice a week with the team. Add in a ride with one/both of my kids each week and an occasional group ride with co-workers and I'm pretty much at max for available riding time.
Old 07-08-19, 07:12 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I help run an at risk youth cycling mentorship program where teens ride with peers and mentors 3x/week. We start in March with indoor training, then ride April thru July. Rides are 25-75mi, depending on time of year and weather.

I usually ride twice a week with the team. Add in a ride with one/both of my kids each week and an occasional group ride with co-workers and I'm pretty much at max for available riding time.
Super dope! I'm jealous, I wish we had something like that.
Old 07-08-19, 08:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by shoota
Super dope! I'm jealous, I wish we had something like that.
Its pretty cool- each year the group of kids is a mix of socioeconomic, cultural and racial groups. Some are in foster care due to chaotic home life, some are limited in opportunity due to sick/physically limited parent, some have planning and time management challenges, and others are socially awkward due to nerves or anything else. We are financially independent, but are in part sponsored by RAGBRAI and the regional YMCA. Bike World donates the bikes and gear for each new rider. Once the 1st year riders complete RAGBRAI, they get to keep the bike and can come back for subsequent seasons.
shameless plug- Helping Youth Set and Obtain Goals

related note- i rode my gravel bike into work this morning and it was pleasant to not have the fork vibrate every time I stopped. Amazing how we can hyper-focus on little annoyances and gain such pleasure when they are resolved.