Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Fat loss

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and Fat loss

Old 07-10-19, 06:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Cut the sugar intake. Added sugar is everywhere, even in milk and juice. So it'll be quite the challenge.

Eat real food and cut down on the processed stuff. Learn to read the nutrient labels on packages at the grocery store and note how many things have added sugar in them.
Old 07-10-19, 07:14 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Cut out sugar in your diet. Refined sugars. Added sugars. Products that contain sugar. Don't eat fast food. Don't drink sodas. You'll lose the fat pronto.
Excellent advice. However it doesn't go far enough. You need to eliminate all or nearly all carbs.
According to the Carbohydrate -Insulin hypothesis, eating carbs causes your insulin levels to increase sharply, this in turn causes fat to be removed from your bloodstream where it can be used as fuel and deposited in fat cells in your body. Then you become hungry again and eat more. It is a vicious circle.

You really need to get on to a keto diet, it is the only diet that works long term for fat loss and health maintenance. It can be difficult and many people stray from the path. Cut all carbs, consume protein and fat.

Lots of info online for the keto lifestyle, just google it.
Likes For willibrord:
Old 07-10-19, 10:50 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
A lot if you seem tobe forgetting the OP is 16. Maybe still going through puberty. Cut out the refined stuff. Get more activity. Figure out the habits you can keep up with for life. Also, you can’t fight genetics. It may take longer for you to lose around your midsection if that is where your body stores weight. Strength training is your friend, and will help you boost metabolism. Most important is find activity you enjoy and keep at it.
Likes For jade408:
Old 07-11-19, 01:51 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
A lot if you seem tobe forgetting the OP is 16. Maybe still going through puberty. Cut out the refined stuff. Get more activity. Figure out the habits you can keep up with for life. Also, you can’t fight genetics. It may take longer for you to lose around your midsection if that is where your body stores weight. Strength training is your friend, and will help you boost metabolism. Most important is find activity you enjoy and keep at it.
Youth used to be your friend, but that was back in the old days before nobody cooks at home anymore. Nowadays, even youth can be overcome with enough highly refined fast foods in your diet. Fat kids grow up to be fat adults.
Old 07-11-19, 03:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Excellent advice. However it doesn't go far enough. You need to eliminate all or nearly all carbs.
According to the Carbohydrate -Insulin hypothesis, eating carbs causes your insulin levels to increase sharply, this in turn causes fat to be removed from your bloodstream where it can be used as fuel and deposited in fat cells in your body. Then you become hungry again and eat more. It is a vicious circle.

You really need to get on to a keto diet, it is the only diet that works long term for fat loss and health maintenance. It can be difficult and many people stray from the path. Cut all carbs, consume protein and fat.

Terrible advice and a lot of misinformation in this post.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-11-19, 05:06 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Terrible advice and a lot of misinformation in this post.
I wouldn't say terrible as much as not properly expressed. A good clean keto type diet is an excellent way to lose weight. I eat low carb and my diet is about as good as a human's can be. When eating this you want a good variety of vegetables and good quality meats.

I know a little about this since I've actually lost 145 lbs in a year. I did it by eating perfect and exercising. I cut out all sugar, all grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and yellow squash.

Belly fat is mostly caused by sugar consumption or foods that on the glycemic index act just like sugar. You can eat a bowel of Corn flakes with no added sugar or a bowel of sugar with no added corn flakes and they are exactly the same metabolically.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-11-19, 05:10 AM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
You can't out exercise a crappy diet. It's all about calories in/calories out, and there's no way around it. Find a way to track calories that you're able to stick with for the long haul. I use Myfitnesspal, once set up it's a piece of cake to enter your daily calorie intake and expenditure. I've been using it for years.. A good way to limit your calories is to cut out refined sugars and saturated fats. Keto is not a good choice for those who do a lot of cardio such as cycling, you need the carbs to avoid bonking on long rides.
Likes For jfan:
Old 07-11-19, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,266 Times in 7,222 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Bikes are a bit "too" efficient, it doesn't burn a lot of calories when riding at a moderate pace.

A good rule of thumb is around 20-25 calories per mile, often closer to 20. (Long climbs and pushing a fast pace burns more of course.) So a 30 mile ride might only be 600 calories.

~~~
I would come home from a fairly fast group ride and eat a lot of food, I was hungry and tired. It's likely that was a net calorie gain!
Amen! A lot of people think a relatively short, moderately paced ride has "earned" them a bunch of pizza calorie-wise.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-19, 05:40 AM
EuanTait

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just mentioning that I do have a good physical appearance due to my love for Badminton and just general fitness by going to the gym for an hour and a half. I am getting back into cycling and i'm trying to give myself an idea of the benefits of it. A lot of the information that I have been receiving is very helpful and I will keep it in mind while I continue pushing myself so I don't put any time training/riding to waste. I appreciate everyone's help and I will motivate myself to do everything people have put fourth.
Old 07-11-19, 05:44 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by jfan
You can't out exercise a crappy diet. It's all about calories in/calories out, and there's no way around it. Find a way to track calories that you're able to stick with for the long haul. I use Myfitnesspal, once set up it's a piece of cake to enter your daily calorie intake and expenditure. I've been using it for years.. A good way to limit your calories is to cut out refined sugars and saturated fats. Keto is not a good choice for those who do a lot of cardio such as cycling, you need the carbs to avoid bonking on long rides.
You only need the carbs if you are a carb burner. When your body has been burning fat for energy more than 3 months the cell structure actually changes and gets more efficient. When you get off the routine of blood sugar spikes and plummets caused by high glycemic foods,you don't need the carbs to build blood sugar back because you just burned it all or insulin drove it down too much, trying to deal with the sugar.

Many top athletes are now doing keto to actually have more endurance and energy.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-11-19, 06:16 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I wouldn't say terrible as much as not properly expressed. A good clean keto type diet is an excellent way to lose weight. I eat low carb and my diet is about as good as a human's can be. When eating this you want a good variety of vegetables and good quality meats.

I know a little about this since I've actually lost 145 lbs in a year. I did it by eating perfect and exercising. I cut out all sugar, all grains, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and yellow squash.

Belly fat is mostly caused by sugar consumption or foods that on the glycemic index act just like sugar. You can eat a bowel of Corn flakes with no added sugar or a bowel of sugar with no added corn flakes and they are exactly the same metabolically.
Now its your statement that's not properly expressed. Belly fat is a result of your genetic predisposition. Thought sugar can most certainly accelerate the process.
You only need the carbs if you are a carb burner. When your body has been burning fat for energy more than 3 months the cell structure actually changes and gets more efficient. When you get off the routine of blood sugar spikes and plummets caused by high glycemic foods,you don't need the carbs to build blood sugar back because you just burned it all or insulin drove it down too much, trying to deal with the sugar.

Many top athletes are now doing keto to actually have more endurance and energy.
True, to a point, but again not precisely defined. Fats allows for long sustained energy expenditure. Nevertheless, quick explosive energy (e.g. weight training, sprints, etc.) can only come from the consumption and utilization of carbs. -- your body's instant energy source. Think of carbs like a hybrid electric motor: the e-torque boost that gets the RAM 1500 quickly off the line.
Old 07-11-19, 07:38 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
No you don't. What a silly thing to say.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-11-19, 07:50 AM
OBoile

No, it was terrible.

Look, you can lose weight on a Keto diet, but it is certainly not the *only* way which is what that poster said. If you're into endurance sports and care about your performance, it's a pretty crappy way. There are also concerns about it's long term health implications.

Well done! I mean that. But lots of people have lost weight using other methods as well.
Belly fat is mostly caused by sugar consumption or foods that on the glycemic index act just like sugar.
No, excess fat, including belly fat, is caused by consuming more calories than you burn. It doesn't really matter what macro nutrient the calories come from. High sugar (and high gi) foods are less satiating so it is easy to over-eat on them, but a calorie of sugar doesn't cause you to gain more weight than a calorie of fat.

The Keto diet ultimately causes weight loss the same way that every other diet does: by reducing the number of calories you consume.
You can eat a bowel of Corn flakes with no added sugar or a bowel of sugar with no added corn flakes and they are exactly the same metabolically.
While a certain amount of sugar may have the same overall amount of calories as a bowl of Corn Flakes, that doesn't make them the same. One has more vitamins and minerals, more fiber and more protein.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-11-19, 07:55 AM
OBoile

You only need the carbs if you are a carb burner.
Or, if you're trying to exercise at a high intensity. There's a reason pro riders are fanatical about refueling their carbs so regularly in a ride. They know they can't put out any kind of intensity on fat alone.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ht-race-385048
Out of the > 100 riders currently doing the tour, name one that is on Keto.
Old 07-11-19, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

OP-please ignore this. It's crap. Keto diet has a ridiculous level of failure, and you will inevitably be told by these people when it doesn't work for you that it's some fault in you that caused it to fail. This "many people stray from the path" is a perfect example. The keto diet "works" for a tiny minority of people who seem to become religiously devoted to it, but the notion that it is "the only diet that" blah blah blah is just a lie, and utterly unconnected to any scientific proof.

I've lost and kept off over 140 pounds by ignoring this type of advice. I keep my carbs low, but I don't eliminate them. There is no single path to weight loss and control, what works for you will probably not work for the next person you talk to and vice verse. At a very high level of abstraction, it is just calories in vs. calories out, but how to actually balance those is a very individual question as we all have different genetics, living situations, schedules, etc.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-11-19, 08:03 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-11-19, 08:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Here's the thing though--ketosis requires an extremely high fat, relatively low protein diet, no fruits, and a very limited range of even non-starchy vegetables. I lost about 100 pounds without working out on a diet very similar to what you're describing, but never completely cutting out carbs. I definitely ate some fruit (never juice) during this period. I lost an additional 50 pounds working out after that, but actually found I had lost too much muscle and consciously put on a few pounds. I have been able to maintain this weight loss while now eating some carbs, even treating myself to a few sweets during my 100-150 mile rides. My diet is extremely high protein which allows me to maintain a decent muscle mass for my age, something you cannot do and maintain ketosis, because your body will burn the protein as carbs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-11-19, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by EuanTait
Just mentioning that I do have a good physical appearance due to my love for Badminton and just general fitness by going to the gym for an hour and a half. I am getting back into cycling and i'm trying to give myself an idea of the benefits of it. A lot of the information that I have been receiving is very helpful and I will keep it in mind while I continue pushing myself so I don't put any time training/riding to waste. I appreciate everyone's help and I will motivate myself to do everything people have put fourth.
I think you've got a lesson you can teach yourself--your love for badminton has caused you to be able to do more, and biking is great if you enjoy it. My theory is that anything is sustainable if you enjoy it and have time, but if you're making yourself miserable, you will burn out.

It sounds to me like you have good instincts and are on the right track. That said, finding what works best for you always involves some trial and error, so don't worry too much about "wasting" your training/riding. You need to try things to see if they work for you, and sometimes the answer will be "no", that's not a waste, you learned something.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-11-19, 08:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It isn't as easy as eating fewer calories than you burn or a calorie deficit.

Some foods have a higher glycemic index or glycemic load than other foods. Eating these at the wrong time, when not exercising, can cause the body to store it as fat. We all know that fat is more difficult for the body to use as fuel.

You can run a calorie deficit and will certainly loose weight but you will see vastly better results if you eat high glycemic foods only during exercise and eat low glycemic foods apart from exercise.

For example, one shouldn't expect stellar weight loss results if they are eating white bread and drinking sweet drinks for lunch while working a desk job or having sweet snacks before bed. These will surely be deposited as stubborn fat which the body prefers not to burn.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-19, 08:39 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
No, excess fat, including belly fat, is caused by consuming more calories than you burn. It doesn't really matter what macro nutrient the calories come from. High sugar (and high gi) foods are less satiating so it is easy to over-eat on them, but a calorie of sugar doesn't cause you to gain more weight than a calorie of fat.
This is the primary reason I would watch these types of food - it's easy to overeat them. The easiest way I've found to lose weight are by reducing "empty" calories where the nutritive value is really low compared to the calories and reducing drinking my calories when the purpose of what I'm drinking is for hydration. Basically, I'm substituting water for juice/soda/anything else.

Be that as it may, I still have a terrible diet and I've only managed to lose 17 lbs in the last 4 months (from 215 to 198. first time below 200 in several years) by out exercising my terrible diet. I've increased my cycling considerably and have finally started losing weight.
Old 07-11-19, 08:44 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It isn't as easy as eating fewer calories than you burn or a calorie deficit.

Some foods have a higher glycemic index or glycemic load than other foods. Eating these at the wrong time, when not exercising, can cause the body to store it as fat. We all know that fat is more difficult for the body to use as fuel.

You can run a calorie deficit and will certainly loose weight but you will see vastly better results if you eat high glycemic foods only during exercise and eat low glycemic foods apart from exercise.

For example, one shouldn't expect stellar weight loss results if they are eating white bread and drinking sweet drinks for lunch while working a desk job or having sweet snacks before bed. These will surely be deposited as stubborn fat which the body prefers not to burn.

-Tim-
Actually, from a pure weight loss perspective, it kind of is just that easy.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/o...-works-268743/

Calories are what matter for weight loss. You may be hungry a lot, and feel miserable, but high glycemic foods won't impede weight loss assuming you don't overeat. Any calories that the body doesn't immediately lose well end up being stored as either glycogen or fat. The fact that a food has a low glycemic index doesn't change this. It just means it may take longer before it becomes fat (but it still becomes fat) so you may not feel hungry quite as quickly afterwards.
Old 07-11-19, 08:49 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by guachi
This is the primary reason I would watch these types of food - it's easy to overeat them. The easiest way I've found to lose weight are by reducing "empty" calories where the nutritive value is really low compared to the calories and reducing drinking my calories when the purpose of what I'm drinking is for hydration. Basically, I'm substituting water for juice/soda/anything else.

Be that as it may, I still have a terrible diet and I've only managed to lose 17 lbs in the last 4 months (from 215 to 198. first time below 200 in several years) by out exercising my terrible diet. I've increased my cycling considerably and have finally started losing weight.
Definitely. It is easy to overeat them and your strategy is a perfectly sound one IMO.

Really, any diet strategy is just about making you feel less miserable/hungry while consuming fewer calories than you burn. Some people feel less miserable on a high fat diets. Some feel less miserable on a high carb diet. Some take to intermittent fasting. Some people just reduce everything a bit. Do whatever works best for you IMO. The overly dogmatic approach some people seem to take when giving advice helps no one.
Old 07-11-19, 08:57 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you've got a lesson you can teach yourself--your love for badminton has caused you to be able to do more, and biking is great if you enjoy it. My theory is that anything is sustainable if you enjoy it and have time, but if you're making yourself miserable, you will burn out.
In my younger days, I used to be very dogmatic, and get into big arguments about which exercise/diet strategy was best. As I've gotten older (and, especially busier), I've realized that what you said is very true. What you enjoy, and what fits your lifestyle matters more than whether some exercise scientist has done a study proving that the activity is super-optimal for whatever adaptation you desire.

Consistency and sustainability are what matter the most. If you are doing something you hate, or something you don't have time for, you won't have either. The same applies for diet. You'll "cheat" a lot more if your diet is making you miserable. Find a strategy that you can live with taking into account what food you and your family like (having to cook multiple meals would suck), how much time you have to cook etc. and go from there.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-11-19, 10:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
A good clean keto type diet is an excellent way to lose weight. I eat low carb and my diet is about as good as a human's can be.
Every weight loss diet is merely a gimmick to get you to reduce your caloric intake. Every one of them.

Reduce your caloric intake, you will lose weight. Increase your energy expenditure, you will lose weight.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-11-19, 10:25 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by EuanTait
Hi to all, I am a 16 year old and although I do have a good physical shape I would just like to ask if cycling can help with loosing belly/waist fat. I also do upper body/back/core training aswell but Im just looking for an answer if cycling can effectively help with excess fat loss around those areas.

NO. there are no specific exercises that can target fat from a specific area of the body. NONE. Claims of this are falsehoods. Lies.

Specific exercises can target particular muscle groups and strengthen them.

Poor posture and weak abdominals can make someone look fatter. Thus strengthening them and improving one's posture will make it look like there has been a disproportionate fat loss in that area.Cross country skiing is one of the most effective and complete cardiovacular exercises to achieve your goal. Biking is effective as well, providing you spend enough time in the saddle and put effort into it.

Cutting down on junk food, and reducing your intake of "white" calories - Potatos, White Rice, Refined Flours, and sugar, will make any cardiovascular exercise you do much more effective.
Likes For Last ride 76:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.