Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Water Bottle Cage

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 11:54 AM
GravelBuddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dawn To Dusk Water Bottle Cages

Not sure if you got sturdy bottle cages yet, but I would recommend cages from a company called Dawn To Dusk (dawntodusk.bike). They have cages specifically for gravel riding that have a calibrated grip so that bottles don't launch. These are especially helpful when riding on bumpy terrain, etc. The ones I have are called the Kaptive 8. They are not in the $5-10 range, but you pay for the quality and the assurance that you don't lose your bottles... I used to have the aluminum cages and I would lose bottles all the time... I haven't since I switched over.. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by 20davidf
I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.2 and I want to outfit my bike with two cheap but sturdy water bottle cages. I want something that is easy to install but also holds on to various water bottle sizes well and does not cause the bottle to fall. Hopefully, I can buy this on Amazon, and my price range is 5-10 bucks. Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-19, 12:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I am totally old-school. I consider water very important. I insist on cages that will not shed bottles on rough (even very rough) roads or break mid-ride and cost me a waterbottle, even if used too long. So for me - steel cages. I buy the King Cages that cost roughly twice what the OP wants to pay for cages that will last me probably 10-20,000 miles and when they do start to go (hasn't happened yet) it will probably be in the form of a crack I discover cleaning my bike.

Before going to the King cages, I used the old TAs, some for multiple decades. To date, I've shed maybe a dozen bottles in 40 years and I don't think I have had a steel cage break off yet despite using many way too long. (There were some long stretches of zero steel cages to be bought in the '80s and '90s.) Now, instead of having to use ratty, beat up TAs, I get to use the elegant, clean Kings. Life's good. (And over the span of enough time, I am pretty sure the Kings come out cheaper simply by lasting longer.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-16-19, 12:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelBuddy
Not sure if you got sturdy bottle cages yet,
After more than 2 years I sure hope he has.
Old 07-16-19, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I buy the King Cages
Same here. My ex had one break. I think it got damaged by a pedal when hers and others bikes were transported out west in a trailer. We were at the Philly Bike Expo. King had a booth there. He gave her a replacement for free. Talk about customer service. And they don't discolor your bottles.
Old 07-16-19, 12:44 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Not sure if you got sturdy bottle cages yet, but I would recommend cages from a company called (spam content removed). They have cages specifically for gravel riding that have a calibrated grip so that bottles don't launch. These are especially helpful when riding on bumpy terrain, etc. The ones I have are called the Kaptive 8. They are not in the $5-10 range, but you pay for the quality and the assurance that you don't lose your bottles... I used to have the aluminum cages and I would lose bottles all the time... I haven't since I switched over.. Hope that helps!
Obvious spam is obvious.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-16-19, 12:59 PM
GravelBuddy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Obvious spam is obvious.
Hahah not spam at all... been gravel riding since 2017 and just sharing what has helped me.. so obviously not spam
Likes For GravelBuddy:
Old 07-16-19, 01:02 PM
GravelBuddy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, I haven't tried the Kings, yet... For me my concern was bottles launching especially when hitting a big bump.. so the ones I got hold up exceptionally well... haven't had a bottle launch since..
Old 07-16-19, 01:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by skipjacks
obvious spam is obvious.
ikr
Old 07-16-19, 01:19 PM
Skipjacks

Hahah not spam at all... been gravel riding since 2017 and just sharing what has helped me.. so obviously not spam
Your first 2 posts on the site are a post in a dormant thread (about the most passive uninteresting topic in biking) with a weblink to a sales site, then a post saying that first post wasn't spam.

Color me skeptical.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-16-19, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by skipjacks
then an incongruous post saying that first post wasn't spam.
fify :d
Old 07-16-19, 01:48 PM
GravelBuddy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm doesn't seem dormant to me.. Call it what you want.. I'm here to share my experience..

Your first 2 posts on the site are a post in a dormant thread (about the most passive uninteresting topic in biking) with a weblink to a sales site, then a post saying that first post wasn't spam.

Color me skeptical.
Old 07-16-19, 01:50 PM
GravelBuddy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're going to block my contents in my comment then block out the references to Kings too.. right.. only fair.. Last I checked forums are for sharing information
Old 07-16-19, 02:02 PM
Skipjacks

If you're going to block my contents in my comment then block out the references to Kings too.. right.. only fair.. Last I checked forums are for sharing information
Well aren't you a delightful ray of sunshine
Old 07-16-19, 06:38 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I kinda like it when my bottles get that well worn patina.

-Tim-
I'm with you on that one Brother.
Jon
Old 07-16-19, 06:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
People are so touchy here.
Old 07-17-19, 01:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since my last post a couple of years ago I've switched to plastic cages on my road bikes. So far, so good, never had a bottle pop out -- which would be bad pookie in a group ride. I get annoyed when other riders drop bottles and I'd be mortified if I endangered someone behind me.

I still use aluminum cages on my hybrids, but it's hard to tug out the insulated bottles I use in summer -- especially my stainless double insulated bottle that I freeze before really hot summer rides. Not a big deal on casual rides on my hybrids, but it's a PITA to struggle with water bottles during a fast group ride on my road bikes.

The 50 Strong plastic cages made in Ohio by a small company are good for only around $8 a pair. Much less expensive than some comparable carbon fiber cages, and nearly as lightweight. Haven't lost a bottle yet, even on some whoop-de-YIKES! dips and rattletrap roads.

And I'm gonna try those Tacx Deva cages @memebag mentioned a couple of years ago. I wanted some bright yellow cages for my purple Trekenstein to be sure the colors clash properly. 50 Strong doesn't make 'em in that color, but Tacx does.
Old 07-17-19, 08:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Well aren't you a delightful ray of sunshine
You accused a new poster of spamming, doubled down on the accusation, you then went on the defensive with sarcasm when the poster took issue with your accusation.
Hardly a position from which to cry foul.

Spamming, to me, is unsolicited. In a thread where the topic is asking for suggestions...thats about as solicited as it gets.

Anyways, maybe its this one instance, but I really dont find it offensive/bad, even if the poster is somehow tied to that company. The website offers some interesting products- its significantly more relevant and looks better than most actual spammed websites. The poster could be tied to the company, and if so should disclose that, but it doesnt make the suggesting any less valid to consider. Seriously, look at some of the suggestions in this thread- cheap plastic cages that are notorious for snapping in all sorts of places are suggested. Why not consider something suggested by a brand ambassador or employee too?

I get the slippery slope here. And I also get how annoying that phrase is since at any time we can all(or moderators) just decide where the line is.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-17-19, 08:46 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I've never had an issue with aluminum or stainless cages, but my favorites have always been some sort of polymer/ plastic. I have a black plastic Specialized mtn cage that I've had for decades, and that has been on numerous bikes. Same goes for the 2 Profile Designs cages currently on my road bike. I pulled them from my parts drawer when I scored this bike on Craigslist last year, and they hold even tall, heavy bottles more firmly than anything else I've had.
I have a carbon Zefal cage, that I got on sale someplace last year, just cuz it was a deal, but it seems kinda wimpy and frail, it doesn't seem like it would hold a large bottle real securely, and I haven't used it yet. (The Specialized is also a little shaky, but I've never lost a bottle. Plus, it never gets bent.)
The bottle cage concept has pretty much long been figured out, with the cheap ones largely working as well as the expensive ones, so IMHO, most of these new-fangled, high-dollar cages are just novelty products in search of a sucker with money to burn.

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-17-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Hmm doesn't seem dormant to me..
It WAS dormant (last post had been Nov. of last year)) until you revived it--on the same day you joined--by quoting the OP, which is more than two years old. Then you post what sounds like a sales pitch with a web site address in a manner designed to avoid the prohibition against members with less than a certain number of posts including links.

I think the SPAM concern is a legitimate one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-17-19, 11:18 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Spamming, to me, is unsolicited. In a thread where the topic is asking for suggestions...thats about as solicited as it gets..
By that definition the strategy of posting the same post and a link with your product to every thread and every forum that asks for a similar product is not spamming. Not saying that's what happened here, but I've seen it happen and it's a common 'promotion' strategy.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you get aluminum, get ones that have the "braces" (the part that bolts to the frame) clamped to the cage, not welded. I ride chipseal roads and I had a couple snap at the welds in a short period of time. Always on the down tube, not the seat tube. I only buy stainless cages now. Aluminum bends too easy and marks up the bottles.
My research indicated that weld failures were one of the biggest problems with aluminum cages, although I never had one fail. For my new all-around bike I got two of "Delta alloy" cages off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5MQN1G/. Held slightly-oversized 1-liter seltzer water bottles just fine on a recent trip.
On my road bike I've been using a painted Ibera aluminum cage and wanted to get a new one, but the prices have gone up and people are complaining that the new finish is rubbing off and making the bottles look like crap. So I've changed my mind for the time being. And I don't like the look of aluminum cages on road bikes, hence I didn't get the same ones I got for my all-around bike.
Old 07-25-19, 04:09 AM
Nelly Lu

Bikes: cycletaiwan.com

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.2 and I want to outfit my bike with two cheap but sturdy water bottle cages. I want something that is easy to install but also holds on to various water bottle sizes well and does not cause the bottle to fall. Hopefully, I can buy this on Amazon, and my price range is 5-10 bucks. Any suggestions?
You can buy Monkii Water Bottle on cycletaiwan.com, it costs about 24$. These were the perfect price for value. They aren't very heavy at all. In fact they are quite light. I just went for a long ride with them on today and I must say they hold the bottle very well. I had two different bottles and had no problem with them moving, shifting, or falling out. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 09-16-20, 07:53 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Just tried an Elite Cannibal XC and it grabbed my bottles so tight I returned it for a refund. Probably for mountain bikes that do 360s lol. Going to try a King Cage.

Last edited by gios; 09-16-20 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 08:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
2 for $10 on Amazon and is adjustable.

https://www.amazon.com/accmor-Rotati...279b84_p_1_i_p
Old 09-16-20, 08:13 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
You can find them on Amazon for 5-10 bucks.
Old 09-17-20, 07:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Save your money for an insulated bottle from Polar, Camelbak or other. In summer they'll keep water at least tepid longer than non-insulated bottles. I usually fill my bottles about 1/3 full, stick 'em in the freezer and fill 'em just before a ride. I'll use the non-insulated bottle first because even with ice the water gets unpleasantly hot quickly, while the insulated bottle stays tolerably cool for up to 2 hours.
I fully agree with this. I refuse to use a non-insulated bottle, especially when biking during the heat of summer. With non-insulated bottles, you leave the house at 8 AM, your water is warm by 10.