Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1st or 2nd set of holes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1st or 2nd set of holes

Old 08-13-18, 12:16 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1st or 2nd set of holes

I am in the market for a new set of cycling shoes and have a question that I haven't found a clear answer on. I run just plain ole SPD cleats, have for years. I have always put them in the holes closest to the heel, right or wrong it has worked so I do it. Being a member of this forum has made me rethink some of my old habits, so here goes.
My question is this, do people prefer one set of holes to the other, are there any advantages or disadvantages to either. I know on seat adjustment 3/16 of an inch can make a huge difference.
Old 08-13-18, 01:37 PM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Being a member of this forum has made me rethink some of my old habits
That is your 1st mistake! I don't see how anyone is going to give you a "right" answer. It's pretty easy to try both positions and decide for yourself. I don't use SPD, but I line up the ball of my foot with the axle of the pedal and tighten the cleat wherever it falls. YMMV
Old 08-13-18, 03:03 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I have an achilles tendon that’s always looking for an excuse to ache, so I run the cleats as far back as possible.
It isn’t a huge improvement, but at least I’m trying.
Until the pain gets bad enough to be distracting, I don’t really notice any difference compared to a mid-mounted cleat.