Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Smells of the Road

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Smells of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 07:44 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
This is the time of year that the CAFOs spread liquid manure on the fields. As we say in Wisconsin, "smell our dairy air."
Ahh yes. I turned down a road years ago to visit a friend and was immediately hit in the face with the odor. His small 1 acre lot was carved out of a bunch of farmland both behind and across the road. The farmer spread pig manure all over the acreage behind and anhydrous ammonia in the field in front. It gagged me to the point of almost retching as I stopped and he let me in. Despite it being about 85 degrees out he had every window and door shut. The odor seeped in regardless. We visited a while and I made a mad dash back out and back to the main road. Whew! Few things in this world smelled worse than that!
Old 10-16-18, 08:35 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Riding through the farms of Oxnard California. Broccoli, onions to make your eyes water, celery, strawberries, cut grass. There is a chicken farm halfway up a climb near me, on a calm day it is a struggle to get past that place.
Old 10-16-18, 08:44 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Ahh yes. I turned down a road years ago to visit a friend and was immediately hit in the face with the odor. His small 1 acre lot was carved out of a bunch of farmland both behind and across the road. The farmer spread pig manure all over the acreage behind and anhydrous ammonia in the field in front. It gagged me to the point of almost retching as I stopped and he let me in. Despite it being about 85 degrees out he had every window and door shut. The odor seeped in regardless. We visited a while and I made a mad dash back out and back to the main road. Whew! Few things in this world smelled worse than that!
That just reminded me of something years ago in Superior CO; There was one spot on my regular ride where I sometimes encountered some stench, depending on which way the wind was blowing. I got the story from a co-worker who lived near there:

A farmer owning land adjacent to the town, wanted to sell some land for residential development.
The town powers-that-be refused to allow it to be rezoned from agricultural to residential.
So he decided to raise hogs on that land.
Old 10-16-18, 12:53 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
This is the time of year that the CAFOs spread liquid manure on the fields. As we say in Wisconsin, "smell our dairy air."
Here is Los Angeles, I call it "cow manure" season. Soon, gardeners throughout the city will spread steer manure (literally, they sell huge bags of it at Home Depot) on every other front lawn.

Other than that, it's mainly weed that I smell, apart from exhaust, or Asian food in Chinatown.
Old 10-16-18, 01:16 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
That just reminded me of something years ago in Superior CO; There was one spot on my regular ride where I sometimes encountered some stench, depending on which way the wind was blowing. I got the story from a co-worker who lived near there:

A farmer owning land adjacent to the town, wanted to sell some land for residential development.
The town powers-that-be refused to allow it to be rezoned from agricultural to residential.
So he decided to raise hogs on that land.
It happens everywhere I live. So enough of that anyway.
Originally Posted by Chinghis
[size=+2]Here is Los Angeles, I call it "cow manure" season[/sie]. Soon, gardeners throughout the city will spread steer manure (literally, they sell huge bags of it at Home Depot) on every other front lawn.

Other than that, it's mainly weed that I smell, apart from exhaust, or Asian food in Chinatown.
You mean chicken manure?
Old 10-16-18, 01:43 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Nope, bona fide cow ****. (link to Earthgro Steer Manure from Home Depot).
Old 10-16-18, 02:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Nope, bona fide cow ****. (link to Earthgro Steer Manure from Home Depot).
I guess I was thinking about the orange groves in Orange county. The smell of chicken manure permeates for miles.
Old 10-16-18, 04:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I guess I was thinking about the orange groves in Orange county. The smell of chicken manure permeates for miles.
Reminds me of this:

Old 10-17-18, 01:23 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have a route that goes uphill by a dairy farm. It's not the smell, but the taste....
Old 10-17-18, 01:37 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have both good and bad memories. Riding through a local park on a muggy June evening, still air, as the sun was setting over a lake, with the heavy fragrance of roses hanging in the air from big banks of naturalized (unfortunately, invasive!) Rosa multiflora. That was a good memory. The worst "bad" memory, another hot, still, muggy, ride, this time early morning just around sunrise in July, I rode on the pedestrian/bicycle path over an Interstate freeway - and there was a very, very, very ripe dead deer carcass on the embankment about 20 feet down - really nasty, and I all but lost my breakfast.
Old 10-17-18, 03:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thank you for this.
Old 10-17-18, 05:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Smells of the Road
Originally Posted by E53
Maybe my sense of smell is getting better because my eyesight and hearing are getting worse, but one thing I notice more and more are the different smells I come across on my rides

Sometimes its something pleasant like flower blossoms and other times its something not so nice like a road kill possum that's been left to ripen for several days.
Back in April of 2017, I engaged with a fellow Metro Boston subscriber about all the sensations that can make any ride, even a mundane one interesting, including smells:
Originally Posted by cooker
I enjoy it [riding a bike] most of the time. When you bike to work every day it can get a bit tedious going more or less the same route every time,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse

I’m going to add sounds, as well as sights and lights, to a prescription for boredom. ...
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Hah! In that case, don't forget smells. There are days...
Excellent! I suppose we could add touch, such as the breeze, temperature sensitivity...
...So I’m just sayin,"to live in the moment ."
The smell that I most associate with cycling seems to occur in early fall, and that’s the delicate smell of riding past a stand of mint.

The aroma is as ethereal as a bike ride, and requires that you pass slowly, and in an open vehicle close to the shoulder of the road.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-18-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 10:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Ask anyone who has ridden RAGBRAI...There is nothing worse than riding past one of Iowa's hog processing farms. After passing the first one, everyone tries to hold their breath 1/2 mile before approaching one and 1/2 mile after passing it. Some hog farms spread their "aroma" even further than 1/2 mile radius. Try holding your breath while pedaling furiously for a mile or so. Quite the challenge.
Old 10-17-18, 10:32 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
Is this an outdoor field? I have an indoor grow facility near me, but have never smelled a thing.
One of my favorite scents comes in a certain area at a certain time of day when I get a pine smell that reminds me of the woods around my grandfather's farm. A 50 year old scent memory that I find delightful.

Yeah, it's outdoors, I'ts over 20 acres, with a large part running just 30' from the side of the road. They have just cut the plants and they are lying om the ground, ready to hauled off to a barn or something. About 10 miles further out there is another farm, but they got a late start and the plants are only two feet high.

Last edited by John00; 10-18-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 08:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Even tho I am 80 I still have my exceptional sense of smell. To describe all the smells I have noticed would take pages. When riding the bike trails in the city, you can smell what the people in the different houses are cooking. Then there is the smell of the various bikers and walkers you pass.

To me it is just one of the many things I notice and sense while riding. All just the joy of cycling. The sights the sounds and the smells are all missed by the people that are too engrossed in cadence, speed, and having the right kit.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-18-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 09:12 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
Riding through the farms of Oxnard California. Broccoli, onions to make your eyes water, celery, strawberries, cut grass. There is a chicken farm halfway up a climb near me, on a calm day it is a struggle to get past that place.
Hello! I also do a lot of riding in Ventura County. I ride through the orchards from Santa Paula and love the smell of the citrus early in the morning. Sometimes stronger than others. I grew up in Oxnard (the old high school)and remember football practice at Oxnard High right after the chicken stuff was put out on the fields , it was really tough getting around the track! It was almost eye watering!

Corner of Santa Paula St. and Cummins Rd.
Old 10-25-18, 10:12 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I'd have to say Eucalyptus. We have areas where the trees are quite dense and the scent is quite strong. Some people really dislike the smell but I find it pleasant.

Most of my riding is in rural areas and see my share of cow pastures and crop fields. That means smelling manure, fertilizers, etc. but these usually are not that strong. I'd take them over diesel/gas fumes riding around a city any day.
Old 10-25-18, 11:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Last year on a freezing cold ride in the middle of nowhere I smelled some delicious food and thought it was coming from one of the local country homes.

Then I realized that I had over filled my Thermos and it had exploded bean soup inside my frame bag.

-Tim-
Old 10-25-18, 12:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You really need to drive past one of the big factory pig feed lots to fully appreciate it. Even the rural folks object to the stench.
Old 10-25-18, 12:47 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Honeysuckle and Privet in the Spring and early Summer.
BBQ on a warm evening
Fresh cut grass, freshly turned earth
North Georgia chicken houses in the middle of August- doesn't make you crave fried chicken

The Silver Comet Trail deviates from the original rail bed for a portion between Rockmart and Cedartown where it passes by what we affectionately call "Mount Trashmore". Mt. Trashmore is the Polk County landfill. It's the only real climb on the trail and it's quite pungent in the summer months.
Old 10-27-18, 11:45 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
@Kabuki, The fields in Ventura county can offer some amazing scents, from cilantro to strawberries. This week though, it seems to be the time to (organically) fertilize as the soil is prepped for the next crop, so it was bit unpleasant.
Old 10-27-18, 04:57 PM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheep farm on a 90degree day after it rained that night...it will stop your heart!
Old 10-29-18, 01:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
cpl favs of mine, summer pine needles drying in the sun & autumn fermenting wet leaves
Old 10-29-18, 02:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Some of the smells I run into are unpleasant. Skunk roadkill, spreading manure on the fields... I'd call sileage a neutral thing - it stinks but I don't find it objectionable (and I'm sure the cows loooove the smell.) OTOH, there are good smells too. Like when the mint has been freshly-cut, or when the corn is tasselling.
Old 10-30-18, 07:52 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Oh, oh...I forgot...lilacs! Some years, I can smell 'em for mostof my commute while they bloom.
April is the cruellest month, breeding.
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing.
Memory and desire, stirring.
Dull roots with spring rain.

T.S. Elliot, The Wasteland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.