Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 06:52 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Future of Fuji Bicycles

With Performance bikes in Bankrupcy what will happen to Fuji ? I have been a huge fan of Fuji bikes. I think they build quality bikes for reasonable prices. Will they be bought by another company? Will Performance come out of Bankrupcy?

I guess warranties could be an issue depending on what happens.
Old 01-31-19, 06:54 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
At this point, nobody knows.
Old 01-31-19, 06:55 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Whatever happens will be up to the new owners of the company.
Old 01-31-19, 07:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
According to BRAIN Head Sports submitted an offer to buy all ASI assets and Bankruptcy Court expected to accept on 22 Jan. Couldn't find anything confirming the sale, nor any statement from Head re the plans for the bike brands.

scott s.
Old 01-31-19, 07:13 PM
OrenNoah

Bikes: 2019 Trek Madone SLR6; 2014 Specialized Langster

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From what I've read, Head has some form of buyer's remorse or made a major mistake, as it claims its bid was for the assets, including some $9 million in cash. The Court and the creditors claim that the cash was not part of the assets to be auctioned off. Head asked for a "do over."

I haven't heard anything further.
Old 01-31-19, 07:36 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by OrenNoah
From what I've read, Head has some form of buyer's remorse or made a major mistake, as it claims its bid was for the assets, including some $9 million in cash. The Court and the creditors claim that the cash was not part of the assets to be auctioned off. Head asked for a "do over."

I haven't heard anything further.
ouch

Old 01-31-19, 07:37 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
A 'gosh-awful mess' — Head wants a 're-auction' of ASE assets

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.XFOiylxKiUk
Old 01-31-19, 07:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Fuji is just a name. Someone will end up owning it. No guarantee that future Fujis will be similar to old Fujis.
Old 01-31-19, 08:50 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
this is a giant mess. I wonder if any of the bids were approved then? Didn't specialized buy the name Roubaix for some 700K?
Old 01-31-19, 08:53 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Sounds like HEAD's lawyers are some of the most unprepared corporate lawyers in the world. $9 million worth of cash should have been worked out in the details BEFORE any bids were placed.

EPIC FAIL.
Old 01-31-19, 09:07 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fuji is just a name. Someone will end up owning it. No guarantee that future Fujis will be similar to old Fujis.
I’m thinking this as well. Fuji could be in Walmart before we know it.
Old 02-01-19, 06:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The glory days of the Fuji brand are long since passed. The net effect of this transfer of ownership will likely be the one pays more for a similar or identical generic Asian-made bicycle. It'll be harder to find bargain-priced quality-made bikes at brick and mortar locations. Maybe an uptick for mail-order drop shippers like Bikes Direct?

The more impactful result of the closing of Performance retail locations will be the loss of one's spur-of-the-moment purchases (like patch kits or tubes) and walk-in minor repairs. I liked that my local Performance had service technicians that were nearly my age and had similar knowledge of vintage bobs 'n' bits, allowing me to paw through their loose parts bins for things. Great guys who "get it" will gradually become a thing of the past.
Old 02-01-19, 07:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
What innovation did Fuji actually bring to the bikes? Was their profits poured into marketing thru sponsorship to the Grand Tours? Or was their profits, in part, poured into development?
Old 02-01-19, 07:33 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What really stinks is the lack of support for folks who purchased bikes from them a month or two before closing down. So much for their membership, maintenance plan, return policy or willingness to help tweak brand new bikes. I can’t say they were ever great, they were simply the ones who sold reasonably priced bikes that weren’t ground breaking but neither were the prices.

But thankfully them closing lead me to seek out other shops and found the local Trek dealer who introduced us to what “real” service is like and now I own a 2019 Domane SL 5 instead of another Fuji. lol
Likes For luevelvet:
Old 02-01-19, 07:51 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
A 'gosh-awful mess' — Head wants a 're-auction' of ASE assets

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.XFOiylxKiUk
So it goes in the world of high finances.
Old 02-01-19, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe someone will buy the brand name , in a bankruptcy court sale of assets... lots of others buy & sell brand names , its another market commodity ..
Old 02-01-19, 10:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I love my Fuji, bought it about two months before the bankruptcy stuff started. I was able to get a refund on my service plan, so that's good. Hopefully I don't have any warranty issues, but I have about 2k miles on it and no issues so far.
Old 02-01-19, 12:01 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
IDK, but I got great deals on a cross bike for my wife and a mountain bike for my son.
Old 02-01-19, 01:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Wonder how this will affect the value of my 86 Touring Series V?
Old 02-01-19, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Sounds like HEAD's lawyers are some of the most unprepared corporate lawyers in the world. $9 million worth of cash should have been worked out in the details BEFORE any bids were placed.

EPIC FAIL.

That the cash would go to the creditors is such standard bankruptcy practice that it is almost certain that they are using this "misunderstanding" as a ruse for backing out of the sale for some other undisclosed reason. Te whole point of selling off the assets is to generate cash for the creditors, so it would be very odd to "sell" cash.
Old 02-01-19, 02:29 PM
Carverbiker

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fuji had some of the best bang for the buck bikes in my opinion. The Jari was often mentioned as a very budget friendly gravel grinder.

However, I think we are living in a world that is transitioning to the big bike manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale) setting up more and more of their own dealerships with their own full product line offerings from bikes to clothing to components (excluding group sets). I see more of an automotive dealership system emerging. More and more bikes are requiring proprietary parts and this is a trend which I do not see slowing down in the near future.

Each of the four big remaining manufacturers, in my opinion, has something they are known for and is introducing new, improved and innovative products across the majority of market segments (road, mtb, ebikes, etc..). This requires R&D investment which is something most other manufacturers do not have the desire or capability or both to take on.

For the remaining high quality/premium brands, such as Cervelo, Pinarello, Felt, Bianchi, Colnago, BMC etc... I see them continuing with the few high end specialty retailers/ LBS’s that support racing and the high end clientel that have the desire and ability to afford a more custom/luxury experience. These retailers know what they are doing and are the quality LBS’s that we know and have appreciated for years, they will always have a place, in my opinion.

The majority of the remaining middle to lower tier brands (Fuji, Kestral, Raleigh, Marin among the many) are going to continue to feel the biggest hurt as I see the market evolving into a one which is polarized by the major manufacturers/premium brands on the high side and mass market retailer brands on the low end. Increasingly the majors will introduce new products in order to capture the middle to upper end of the middle market putting further pressure upon the brands in this segment of the market. The result will be a tremendous number of brands competing at the low end of the mass market. It will be very difficult for that many to survive. Perhaps we will see a super consolidator in this segment??

Finally, the declining bike sales numbers in the industry translates into even fewer opportunities for smaller/mid tier brands to prosper as the big guys will fight that much harder for the remaining sales. I think just like the auto industry there are just too many mfgs for all of them to survive.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-01-19, 04:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Which old Fujis? The ASI Fujis weren't that spectacular and they haven't made the real old stuff for a long time. I am surprised Bikes Direct doesn't buy the name to add to the collection of names with some prestige from the original company that they hope will translate over to them.
Old 02-01-19, 08:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Which old Fujis? The ASI Fujis weren't that spectacular and they haven't made the real old stuff for a long time. I am surprised Bikes Direct doesn't buy the name to add to the collection of names with some prestige from the original company that they hope will translate over to them.
At this point, I might think they would be more interested in Breezer. It gives them some appeal in a different part of the market. I don't see Fuji giving them anything they don't already have.
Old 02-01-19, 08:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At this point, I might think they would be more interested in Breezer. It gives them some appeal in a different part of the market. I don't see Fuji giving them anything they don't already have.
They would probably take them all though possibly and hopefully Joe Breeze would get some sense knocked back into him and take back his company and make cool mountain bikes again. Hybrids are all well and good but your Joe F'ing Breeze for cripes sake, Breezer #1 , never forget!
Old 02-01-19, 08:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Cannondale bought out Fuji.

Well, it isn't really Cannondale, but rather Dorel Industries.

Fuji might complement the brand, providing kid's bikes (Fuji Ace), and perhaps bikes one tier below the Cannondales, but above the Pacific Cycle bikes.
Likes For CliffordK:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.