Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on Lance Armstrong doing a cycling podcast??

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 04-08-19, 07:28 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Well this is kind of a controversial topic, but here goes:

How do you guys feel about Lance Armstrong doing a podcast these days, where he comments on professional bike races (with a colleague / guest). He also takes sponsorship money from companies who sponsor his podcast, and he talks about cycling like nothing ever happened that he should be ashamed of?

I never sought this out, but some of the videos kept popping up in my Youtube "suggested videos" feed (because I watch a lot of cycling related things I guess). So I was just curious how people feel about it.

Personally, I am disgusted that the name "Lance Armstrong" is even mentioned in the same sentence as the word "cycling", even if it is just a podcast. Eternity would be too soon for me. He did so much damage to the sport, that he should be ashamed to even be talking about it. But the man has no shame obviously. And the fact that there are actually brands that want to have their name associated with this thing? Wow. Just wow.

What are your thoughts? I am genuinely curious (especially because there is a majority Americans on this forum). 
Old 04-08-19, 07:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread moved from Road Cycling forum to Pro Cycling for the Fans forum.
Old 04-08-19, 09:48 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
He can do what he wants.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 04-09-19, 07:34 AM
maartendc

Well thanks mods, for completely deleting my OP when moving the topic. Anyway, my question / comment was this:

I know this is a controversial topic, so let's keep things civil, but here goes: Lance Armstrong is now doing a cycling podcast where he comments with a friend on professional racing. I never sought out his podcast, but it kept showing up in my Youtube suggestions (probably because I watch a lot of cycling related videos). He also has brands / companies sponsor this podcast.

Personally, I am disgusted that the name "Lance Armstrong" is even mentioned in the same sentence as the word "cycling", even if it is just a podcast. Eternity would be too soon for me. He did so much damage to the sport and it's reputation. But the man clearly has no shame. And there are actually brands that want to have their name associated with this thing? Wow. Just wow.

Sure, there are other former dopers who are still active in professional cycling (which is also troublesome in my opinion). But LA was the most visible figure in the sport for about a decade. I would argue his actions have done more to harm the sport, and its credibility, than any other doper in the history of the sport (or perhaps ANY sport) have. He also went above and beyond other "convicted" dopers in covering up, threatening, blackmailing, taking legal action against accusers (who turned out to be right), etc.

Obviously, nobody can prevent him from doing this podcast, and he is just looking to make a living (not that he needs to make any money ever again). However, for me personally, I could not ever listen to or watch his stuff, the man just sickens me.

I was just genuinely curious to know how others feel about it, especially Americans (since this forum mostly has US-based members). I pretty much know how Europeans (myself included) feel about him nowadays.
Old 04-09-19, 09:50 AM
rpyr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
was he not a professional cyclist at the highest level?
Likes For rpyr:
Old 04-09-19, 11:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Lots of people willing listen to Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern. I'd rather a cyclist, or non cyclists for that matter, listen to LA instead of either of those two nutters.

Now......Durianrider......nope. That dude popped up on my Youtube feed one time and I watched a few of his videos and immediately turned it off.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-09-19, 11:18 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I want to hear stories of his doping technique. How they kept it hidden, both physically and chemically. Must have been quite an operation. Like Mission Impossible, but with bikes.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-09-19, 11:36 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Well thanks mods, for completely deleting my OP when moving the topic. Anyway, my question / comment was this:

I know this is a controversial topic, so let's keep things civil, but here goes: Lance Armstrong is now doing a cycling podcast where he comments with a friend on professional racing. I never sought out his podcast, but it kept showing up in my Youtube suggestions (probably because I watch a lot of cycling related videos). He also has brands / companies sponsor this podcast.

Personally, I am disgusted that the name "Lance Armstrong" is even mentioned in the same sentence as the word "cycling", even if it is just a podcast. Eternity would be too soon for me. He did so much damage to the sport and it's reputation. But the man clearly has no shame. And there are actually brands that want to have their name associated with this thing? Wow. Just wow.

Sure, there are other former dopers who are still active in professional cycling (which is also troublesome in my opinion). But LA was the most visible figure in the sport for about a decade. I would argue his actions have done more to harm the sport, and its credibility, than any other doper in the history of the sport (or perhaps ANY sport) have. He also went above and beyond other "convicted" dopers in covering up, threatening, blackmailing, taking legal action against accusers (who turned out to be right), etc.

Obviously, nobody can prevent him from doing this podcast, and he is just looking to make a living (not that he needs to make any money ever again). However, for me personally, I could not ever listen to or watch his stuff, the man just sickens me.

I was just genuinely curious to know how others feel about it, especially Americans (since this forum mostly has US-based members). I pretty much know how Europeans (myself included) feel about him nowadays.
FWIW, he has been doing the podcast for a couple of years. I have listened to many of them and most are quite interesting. If you can get by his doping, he does know a lot about cycling and the mechanics of racing and what goes on in the pro peleton. When the Tour rolls around, his podcasts are usually spot on for the race days.

Hey, love him or hate him, he still has the power to have people get their panties in a wad.

His podcast or interview of Alex Honnold (Free Solo) a couple of months ago was really good too.

john
Old 04-09-19, 11:45 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
He admitted he doped, admits to his errors, settled his lawsuits, paid restitution, understands the forever hate... So, you want him to not make podcasts on a subject he has great knowledge of. Do u want him not ride or own a bike also? What job would be ok for him to draw income that would be ok? Simply dont watch it, and dont patronize anything hes related to. It would be a leap to think people never learn and change from mistakes, right?
Likes For dwing:
Old 04-09-19, 12:03 PM
MarkND

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Raleigh Technium, Schwin Supersport, Specialized Rockhopper Pro, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like his podcasts, they provide a lot of insight into the races and are entertaining. I guess I've moved on from the doping scandal business that him and most of professional cycling were involved in.
Old 04-09-19, 12:47 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by tyrion
I want to hear stories of his doping technique. How they kept it hidden, both physically and chemically. Must have been quite an operation. Like Mission Impossible, but with bikes.
Yeah read some books on it, it is pretty well published. And disgusting to read.

Originally Posted by MarkND
I like his podcasts, they provide a lot of insight into the races and are entertaining. I guess I've moved on from the doping scandal business that him and most of professional cycling were involved in.
Interesting. Personally, I find the podcast that I listened to neither entertaining nor informative. It was just boring to be honest. I have listened to many better podcasts about pro cycling, such as "The cyling podcast" by Lionel Bernie, Richard Muire and Daniel Freebe, which is both highly entertaining and informative.

Also, I cannot ever move on from what he did to the sport, so even if I did find his podcast entertaining, I wouldn't support it.

Originally Posted by dwing
He admitted he doped, admits to his errors, settled his lawsuits, paid restitution, understands the forever hate... So, you want him to not make podcasts on a subject he has great knowledge of. Do u want him not ride or own a bike also? What job would be ok for him to draw income that would be ok? Simply dont watch it, and dont patronize anything hes related to. It would be a leap to think people never learn and change from mistakes, right?
Any job that doesn't remotely involve professional cycling would be fine by me. I guess doing a podcast is much better than him coaching young athlethes or being a Directeur Sportif (I dont think he would be allowed, the UCI has banned him from perhaps ever being involved, not sure).

Interesting that you think he has made good by "settling his lawsuits" or "admitting to his errors". I was under the impression he merely admitted it (on Oprah), but in the same breath saying "everyone else was doing it, so it was OK". It is my understanding from what I have read from accounts of people who know him / have interviewed him, that the man does not regret it. To me, the fact that he feels comfortable doing this podcast at all, says it all.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...d-trial-360847

You are correct, I will not watch it, nor patronize it, nor give him more attention than he deserves. I just wanted to gauge what other people think about it, as his podcasts seems reasonably popular.
Old 04-09-19, 12:52 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts
I would be fascinated if he invited guests such as Floyd or Greg.
Old 04-09-19, 01:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
People talk about what they know and have experienced, and he has as much experience and knowledge about the sport of cycling as anyone. He was caught with his pants down and punished.

He has paid his price to society, and can now move on with his life. Same as Martha Stewart (who now has a cooking show) and many others before him.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-09-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 01:54 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
How do you guys feel about Lance Armstrong doing a podcast these days, where he comments on professional bike races (with a colleague / guest). He also takes sponsorship money from companies who sponsor his podcast, and he talks about cycling like nothing ever happened that he should be ashamed of?. 
It's a free country and the first amendment applies to Armstrong. You're not required to like it, listen to it, or even acknowledge it's existence. Consider - Fox News and MSNBC can both broadcast, and you can watch whichever one you like, both of them, or neither of them. Ain't life grand?

Personally, I think he's paid his pound of flesh, and I'm interested to hear his take on the sport. He has forgotten more about cycling than most of us will ever know, and no one listening to him is unaware that he used to cheat.He'll never compete again, and his legacy is forever tainted. What more do you want?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 04-09-19, 02:08 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Aubergine
I would be fascinated if he invited guests such as Floyd or Greg.
Lol, I believe Floyd Landis and himself are not on speaking terms. Armstrong has in the past invited former teammate and co-doper George Hincapie on the podcast if I am not mistaken (saw a screenshot of it somewhere I think, never listed to it myself).

As far as Greg Lemond is concerned: Reading books about Lance Armstrong made me admire Greg Lemond more. At the end of Lemond's career, when EPO was coming up in the peloton, he basically said: **** this, I am out! It seems like he always raced clean. And he had always been critical of Armstrong, pretty much knowing through mutual friends and contacts that he was not riding clean.

At the end of the day: I think the way Floyd Landis goes about his life, or Tyler Hamilton: both former Armstrong teammates, former dopers who got caught, is a better way than what Armstrong is doing. Landis just lives a quiet light away from the spotlight. Hamilton gives talks and sells books about doping, but at least is an evangelist for anti-doping now (although you could argue he is profiting off of his former transgressions just the same). Armstrong on the other hand just can't help himself wanting to be in the spotlight, and does not seem sorry at all for what he did. He is just sorry he got caught.

Last edited by maartendc; 04-09-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 02:26 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Hincapie makes some really nice jerseys.
Old 04-09-19, 02:58 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 04-09-19, 04:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Hincapie makes some really nice jerseys.
And Floyd is now in the CBD business. https://floydsofleadville.com/
Old 04-09-19, 04:55 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I just started listening a couple of weeks ago and am enjoying them.
Old 04-09-19, 07:10 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Tyler Hamilton’s book explains it in detail. Jets, bicycles, paradise islands and crazy motorcycle riders are all involved.
Old 04-09-19, 07:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

You bring up some excellent points. I must however ask you this: Do you think that team Sky is doping or could be doping? Would that change your mind concerning Lance?

i really don’t like Lance very much. He used a lot of people up to win the tour 7 times and he didn’t win the other classics like some other famous riders have.

This being said we can learn so much from the podcasts that Lance puts out. We can learn so much about our sport.
Old 04-10-19, 11:18 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Yeah read some books on it, it is pretty well published. And disgusting to read.

Also, I cannot ever move on from what he did to the sport, so even if I did find his podcast entertaining, I wouldn't support it.

Any job that doesn't remotely involve professional cycling would be fine by me. I guess doing a podcast is much better than him coaching young athlethes or being a Directeur Sportif (I dont think he would be allowed, the UCI has banned him from perhaps ever being involved, not sure).

I see. So you want to chastise him for getting 2 million or more people off the couch and riding bikes here in the U.S.? How about making Trek a household name or the largest bike company in the world. Let's then not talk about the millions he raised for cancer. A few weeks ago it came out that the Australian government paid him 1 million to appear in the tour down under years ago. They have taken flack from that, but the government figures he generated more than 200 million in revenue from that 1 million appearance fee. That seems like a pretty good investment. No current rider, not Froome, nor Sagan could drum up that type of business.

I know you hate the guy and so be it but the fact remains that he is still probably the biggest name in the sport. Love him or hate him, he still draws a crowd. And if you need further "proof" of this star power just search for the most expensive bikes sold to date. He has like 5 in the top 10. Some are well into 6 figures. So he still commands a great deal of interest.

But it is a free country and you are more than welcome to continue the hate.
Likes For rutan74:
Old 04-10-19, 11:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'd prefer Lance's podcast over a podcast of Lori Loughlin teaching parents how to help get their kids into college.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 04-10-19, 01:49 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by rutan74
So you want to chastise him for getting 2 million or more people off the couch and riding bikes here in the U.S.?
No, I chastise him for robbing professional cycling of all credibility for about a decade (probably more).

All the other stuff you mention is irrelevant to me. Other people do great things without being a total fraud or criminal in the process.

Actually no, I don't hate him. I'll just continue to ignore him and his podcast, pretend he doesn't exist.

Last edited by maartendc; 04-10-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 02:02 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I hope you enjoy your hate, it can make you a better person, provided that you don't gradually become the very thing you despise most. I myself really "hate" when that happens to me, but find that it inevitably does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.