Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New tires: Gravel Grinder 38c vs WTB Riddler 37

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-13-19, 10:54 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I use Gravelkings SK 35c on my bike, but looking for some new, also a bit wider for more comfort.
My frame (Planet X XLS, CX bike) allows to use tires in about max. 38-39c (tried Gravelking SK 700x38 / 40-622) and it was max.
My rims are DT460 with 18 mm internal.

What will be better - Gravel Grinder 38c or WTB Riddler 37?
I ride on dry conditions, most on gravels, forests paths, mixed with pavement. Tires should be fast.
Grinders looks better, but are a bit more expensive in TL version (it isn't very important for me - I went back to tubes and MAYBE will try tubeless again, but I'm not sure).
Riddlers are always TL-compatible.
Old 04-14-19, 07:08 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Maybe someone else will have chime in with better experience but FWIW I’m nursing along a very worn pair of the 45mm riddlers that I’ve been pleased with. I think they are a great gravel tire and have had very few issues running them tubeless, except for my own negligence letting the sealant dry out. To me, they still feel pretty fast but have a bit of grip and more toward the sidewalls where it matters more. If I were to go back to something a little narrower, I’d definitely consider the 37mm riddler.

I don’t know that the riddlers have anything special to stave off punctures...but in my experiences where I ride, if I run tubeless this isn't much of an issue.
Old 04-15-19, 10:09 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, but what is real width on your rim?
Old 04-15-19, 02:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I have ridden a lot of miles on 38mm Gravel Grinder Race tires with tubes. I like them a lot. Very fast, even on pavement, and grippy in the loose stuff. When they slide, they slide predictably. Excellent all-around tire. (For a couple years, I even held an 8-mile long Strava KOM on smooth paved roads -- taken on a Niner RLT9 with Challenge Gravel Grinder Race tires. My time is still 2nd-fastest.) I rode the DK200 on them at 50/55 psi, with tubes, and had zero flats.

I have heard, though, that the Gravel Grinder TLR is not as good as the tubed version. But I have no experience with it.
Old 04-16-19, 06:41 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I have ridden a lot of miles on 38mm Gravel Grinder Race tires with tubes. I like them a lot. Very fast, even on pavement, and grippy in the loose stuff. When they slide, they slide predictably. Excellent all-around tire. (For a couple years, I even held an 8-mile long Strava KOM on smooth paved roads -- taken on a Niner RLT9 with Challenge Gravel Grinder Race tires. My time is still 2nd-fastest.) I rode the DK200 on them at 50/55 psi, with tubes, and had zero flats.

I have heard, though, that the Gravel Grinder TLR is not as good as the tubed version. But I have no experience with it.
What rims do you use (internal width) and whats real Grinder with on its?
Old 04-16-19, 08:25 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd
What rims do you use (internal width) and whats real Grinder with on its?
I don't own them anymore -- they were on a different bike. But the wheels were American Classic Hurricanes (18mm internal width) and the Gravel Grinder Races measured out pretty close to the 38mm posted on the sidewall.
Old 04-16-19, 10:10 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I have DT460 with 18mm internal, so it should be ok - WTB's are TL compatible, but Grinders are much lighter (about 100 g per tyre) so... maybe it will be better choice.