Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Need Cadence

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 09:57 AM
shopco43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Need Cadence

I want to start measuring cadence; don’t care about anything else. I want to spend the least amount possible without sacrificing reasonable quality, so I thought to use my phone as the computer. The problem is I am a bit of a Luddite and do not understand anything about apps. My phone is a Samsung Model # SM-G550T1 Android Version 6.0.1.

If I turn on Bluetooth can I just get a sensor, such as the Wahoo offering, and go or is something else required?

Is using the phone as the computer a good idea?
Old 06-30-19, 10:52 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
An ideal computer, even a simple one, is weatherproof, easy to use whilst in motion, and with a display that is easy to read in bright daylight, and always on. An ideal bike computer will consume battery power slowly; it will last longer than your longest ride, possibly all season (except GPSs, which still need to outlast your longest ride). And an ideal bike computer will be relatively accurate even at low speeds.

A cell phone's screen is usually not always on. If it is, its battery won't outlast your longer rides. A cell phone isn't simple to use while in motion. And with the GPS in higher accuracy modes the battery will draw down quickly. A cell phone's screen may be hard to see in broad daylight. It is possible that you can find a cadence sensor hat will pair up over ANT+ or Bluetooth with your phone, and if cadence is all you want it will work, if you don't care to keep the screen on.

If it were me I would look for an inexpensive dedicated computer with cadence sensor. The cheapest I find online is about $45, and it simultaneously meets all of the criteria I consider ideal for a simple computer. Compare this to buying a $35 sensor that pairs with your phone. And then buying a $20 cell phone mount for your bike, and a $5.00 app in the app store. $45 for a computer that is ideal, or $60 for a cell phone solution that is not ideal. Penny wise and pound foolish.

If you should decide you are willing to spend more, a Garmin Edge 25 is around $100, plus $35 for a cadence sensor. For $135 you get the breadcrumb trail, uploadable (but not self correcting) routes, data sharing with Strava and Garmin Connect, and other apps. I think that's a great value. There's a lot of utility in being able to look over a rider's characteristics after the ride. But that's just me. For your purposes possibly just a $45 computer with cadence sounds appropriate.
Old 06-30-19, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool

Basic Bike computers have 2 magnets, and 2 sensors.. 1 for the wheel 1 for the left crank arm..

Post Faraday Luddites get the versions with the wired sensors..

I only ever cared about mileage, odometer functions when on my bike tours ..

my wired computer is mounted down on the right fork blade.. I stopped to read it..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-30-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-30-19, 12:40 PM
shopco43

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
An ideal computer, even a simple one, is weatherproof, easy to use whilst in motion, and with a display that is easy to read in bright daylight, and always on. An ideal bike computer will consume battery power slowly; it will last longer than your longest ride, possibly all season (except GPSs, which still need to outlast your longest ride). And an ideal bike computer will be relatively accurate even at low speeds.

A cell phone's screen is usually not always on. If it is, its battery won't outlast your longer rides. A cell phone isn't simple to use while in motion. And with the GPS in higher accuracy modes the battery will draw down quickly. A cell phone's screen may be hard to see in broad daylight. It is possible that you can find a cadence sensor hat will pair up over ANT+ or Bluetooth with your phone, and if cadence is all you want it will work, if you don't care to keep the screen on.

If it were me I would look for an inexpensive dedicated computer with cadence sensor. The cheapest I find online is about $45, and it simultaneously meets all of the criteria I consider ideal for a simple computer. Compare this to buying a $35 sensor that pairs with your phone. And then buying a $20 cell phone mount for your bike, and a $5.00 app in the app store. $45 for a computer that is ideal, or $60 for a cell phone solution that is not ideal. Penny wise and pound foolish.

If you should decide you are willing to spend more, a Garmin Edge 25 is around $100, plus $35 for a cadence sensor. For $135 you get the breadcrumb trail, uploadable (but not self correcting) routes, data sharing with Strava and Garmin Connect, and other apps. I think that's a great value. There's a lot of utility in being able to look over a rider's characteristics after the ride. But that's just me. For your purposes possibly just a $45 computer with cadence sounds appropriate.
got a link?
Old 06-30-19, 12:46 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by shopco43
got a link?
Got Google?
Type or copy/paste:

"bike computer with cadence"
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-30-19, 01:00 PM
shopco43

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Got Google?
Type or copy/paste:

"bike computer with cadence"
I was not asking you!
Old 06-30-19, 01:26 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I was not asking you!
Did you know that BF is a Forum, not a private conversation, where any member can reply to a thread within the forum guidelines?
Send a PM (Private Message) to a member if you wish to communicate privately, otherwise you get what you get in the open forum conversations.
Sometimes just what you wanted to read, sometimes not.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-30-19, 02:26 PM
daoswald

got a link?
I had considered linking when I made the original post but then reconsidered when I realized that simply typing "bike computer with c" caused Google to autofill the last few letters of the search, and pop up with both a $45 deal on a CatEye computer with cadence, and lower down a Garmin 25. It seemed silly to become a proxy for a highly available and spot on relevant search engine. At best my linking to search results would rob the OP of the context this search could provide. My response was to offer some advice that a simple search would not immediately reveal, and hopefully it was helpful. But I never intended to simply be a replacement for a search engine.

I've had a few CatEye computers over the years, with and without cadence. These are simple devices. They don't do a whole lot more than a digital watch from 1978. They're all overpriced for the technology they embody. But the cheapest one Google finds you with cadence and waterproofing will be just fine. And that quick search I did revealed $45 is about where they start. More in depth searches may find even cheaper off-brand, and they may be fine too. Look at the CatEye website for feature comparisons. Any cycling computer that does cadence will also do speed, distance, time, and a few other things. The technology is so simple there really can't be a terrible one.

Last edited by daoswald; 06-30-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 07:00 PM
shopco43

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
I had considered linking when I made the original post but then reconsidered when I realized that simply typing "bike computer with c" caused Google to autofill the last few letters of the search, and pop up with both a $45 deal on a CatEye computer with cadence, and lower down a Garmin 25. It seemed silly to become a proxy for a highly available and spot on relevant search engine. At best my linking to search results would rob the OP of the context this search could provide. My response was to offer some advice that a simple search would not immediately reveal, and hopefully it was helpful. But I never intended to simply be a replacement for a search engine.

I've had a few CatEye computers over the years, with and without cadence. These are simple devices. They don't do a whole lot more than a digital watch from 1978. They're all overpriced for the technology they embody. But the cheapest one Google finds you with cadence and waterproofing will be just fine. And that quick search I did revealed $45 is about where they start. More in depth searches may find even cheaper off-brand, and they may be fine too. Look at the CatEye website for feature comparisons. Any cycling computer that does cadence will also do speed, distance, time, and a few other things. The technology is so simple there really can't be a terrible one.
there is no link because (by my search engine) they do not exist. cheapest w/cadence is >$100 or "not available". if you found one for $45 please provide a link!
Old 06-30-19, 07:25 PM
daoswald

there is no link because (by my search engine) they do not exist. cheapest w/cadence is >$100 or "not available". if you found one for $45 please provide a link!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R6QR2C

$43.21

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6L9SP1

$29.99 (no-name)

Last edited by daoswald; 06-30-19 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 07:43 PM
shopco43

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Bueno, grazie