Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Hudson Valley Rail Trail / Empire Trail

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 08:26 PM
LarryS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I rode the HVRT from The Walkway to New Paltz and was very pleasantly surprised with the new section from Tony Williams Park to just past The Thruway. There was virtually no interaction with cars other than a few Red Lights and crossing Route 299. Even the new type of pedestrian buttons worked very well at red lights.
Once you pass the Thruway you make a right turn at North Putt Corners and a left at Henry Dubois Drive to Route 32. The Wallkill Valley Rail Trail can be accessed once you cross 32.
I've ridden this in the past using New Paltz Road and Dubois, but the new section is much easier and nicer. Needless to say, being so new, the asphalt is in great condition which is something people who use the NCT/SCT in Westchester can appreciate.
The only problem I had was that Dubois is somewhat steep for me coming from Rt 32, but this is probably not going to be a problem for most people on these forums.
Likes For LarryS:
Old 07-16-19, 06:21 AM
TravellingFool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's good information, thanks. Was just at Walkway on Sunday starting from Hopewell Jct. Will find an opportunity to check this section out when next able. Glad you posted this, didn't realize the work had happened.
Old 07-16-19, 07:10 AM
LarryS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TravellingFool
That's good information, thanks. Was just at Walkway on Sunday starting from Hopewell Jct. Will find an opportunity to check this section out when next able. Glad you posted this, didn't realize the work had happened.
Before posting I searched the forum to see if there were any comments on the new section, since I didn't see any I thought some people might find it useful
Thanks for your comment.
Old 07-16-19, 10:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
That's really cool.

I just measured on RWGPS. Hopewell Junction to just south of Kingston is 35 miles one-way. That's a nice route, nearly all on path.
Old 07-17-19, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,524 Times in 7,325 Posts
Good news. Rode the Walkway and trail again last year during a tour from Northern Vermont to Philly after spending the night in Hyde Park.

This is the 20th anniversary of my cross country+ tour. Rode through New Paltz back then on the way home from Bar Harbor, ME. So much has changed. New Paltz was so much quieter back then. I remember having breakfast at a diner. May have been the Plaza Diner.
Old 07-18-19, 11:40 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I just measured on RWGPS. Hopewell Junction to just south of Kingston is 35 miles one-way. That's a nice route, nearly all on path.
Only to get longer when the Maybrook connects Hopewell to Brewster; the state gave Metro North the money to make it happen, now they just have to do it.
Old 08-07-19, 06:23 AM
TravellingFool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Did Hopewell Jct to New Paltz on Sunday. The new section from Tony Williams Park to New Paltz is very nicely done, including the signage, the new fencing, and even newly planted trees along the more open section by 299. If folks haven't seen it the Maybrook Trail planned construction schedule is in this deck: https://maybrooktrailway.org/wp-cont...une-2019-1.pdf.