Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear gears won't shift

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear gears won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 11:25 AM
Bcharente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear gears won't shift

I have stripped my felt F5 to give it a good clean, fitted a new shimano chain , new shimano gear and brake cables, new shimano 11-34 105 rear derailleur and front compact rings. Having done this many times in the past without an issue, the problem this time round is that I cannot get the gears to select on the rear cassette, the inner and outer limiters are set fine, but when trying to either shift up or down only 3 sometimes 4 gears will select in either direction, i've tried playing with the cable tension but nothing I seem to do makes a difference. I'm doing nothing different to all the self help tutorials, the only thing they don't show seems to be setting the correct initial tension. Anyone got a fix before frustration kicks in and I launch it out the window?
Old 07-18-19, 11:55 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Make certain that you have your shifter and derailleur in the highest (smallest cog, most cable paid out) gear before attaching the shift wire to the derailleur. Put tension on the wire and downshift several times until no more is released. Also inspect the wire inside the shifter (and elsewhere) to ensure that it has not begun to fray. Check the housing runs to ensure that they are correctly in their stops/sockets, one may have come out when you released the tension.
Make certain that you route the wire correctly, most Shimano derailleurs have a little tab that the wire goes OVER before going under the clamp screw.
Then follow this procedure from the beginning without skipping any steps. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Old 07-18-19, 12:12 PM
Bcharente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks but I've tried that, It's like the micro shifters in the sti jump, I'll get maybe one shift the next it jumps up 2 sometimes 3 gears then that's it, it then won't shift again. As in the original post, all cable's, cable housing are all new, no rust, no fraying and all in their correct position.
Old 07-18-19, 12:20 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Are your brifters 11 speed?
Old 07-18-19, 01:16 PM
Bcharente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, thanks to all who have given this some time thought and advice. Problem solved, I did a bit of lateral thinking and discovered it was a combination of 2 things, a f001 and 1d10t issue. I thought why is it only shifting 4 gears? I could understand it if it was the front derailleur, 2 gear shifts and 2 micro trims, hmmm, could it be i'd connected the cable to the wrong shifter? Oh yes! A quick swap and problem solved. I've spent all day trying to fix it, a lie down in a dark room beckons!!!!

It's always the simple things.
Old 07-18-19, 02:50 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Nice of you to put paid to the story even though the cost was a bit of a head smacker