Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

need bike buying advice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

need bike buying advice

Old 08-16-05, 09:00 AM
njgino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need bike buying advice

hi all - would like to get my first road bike soon but have a few questions.

1. Bike comparison. I was talking to a cyclist one time and he recommends a Trek Madone 5.2. He points out to look for carbon frame/shimano ultegra or dura ace combination. My budget is around 2,000-3,000. Aside from what he mentioned, what other comparable bikes and models from other makers that you recommend I look at?

2. Time of year - Is there a specific time of year when prices of bikes go down? I live in NJ and during the winter I assume no one rides on the roads - does that imply bike prices will be lower.

3. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the Somerset, NJ vicinity?

Thank you.
Old 08-16-05, 09:10 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^...There is nothing magical about CF, and 105 or Veloce is good enough for most.Beyond that it is more about bling and poseur' points. DA and record are good if you ae a sponsored pro or make your living racing.
Old 08-16-05, 09:26 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I dont see why you would NEED to spend anymore than $1,000 tops for a very nice quality entry level bike. Shimano 105 is all the component you need to start. Once you are sure you like riding and you are going to stick with it then start looking at more expensive bikes with the options that you like. I would stick with the big guys for your first bike.....Specialized, Trek, Giant.....yada....
Old 08-16-05, 09:30 AM
njgino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
I dont see why you would NEED to spend anymore than $1,000 tops for a very nice quality entry level bike. Shimano 105 is all the component you need to start. Once you are sure you like riding and you are going to stick with it then start looking at more expensive bikes with the options that you like. I would stick with the big guys for your first bike.....Specialized, Trek, Giant.....yada....
The advice given to me was if I know you will be riding a lot (and I know I will) , might as well spend for an intermmediate bike, instead of going entry-level, getting upgrades later on and such, which could end up costing more than going straight to an intermmediate.

OK, Shimano 105. What about type of frame? What kind do you suggest I start with?
Old 08-16-05, 09:36 AM
garysol1 

IMHO.....You will get the most bang for your buck and the most choices with Aluminum frame/Carbon fork. The carbon fork will help ease some of the roughness from the aluminum frame. My starter bike was the Specialized Allez Elite. I highly recomend that bike or something similar. Here is a link.
Allez Elite

Make sure you ride a few bikes and make sure you get the correct size. Sizing is number one importance
Old 08-16-05, 09:43 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by njgino
hi all - would like to get my first road bike soon but have a few questions.

1. Bike comparison. I was talking to a cyclist one time and he recommends a Trek Madone 5.2. He points out to look for carbon frame/shimano ultegra or dura ace combination. My budget is around 2,000-3,000. Aside from what he mentioned, what other comparable bikes and models from other makers that you recommend I look at?

2. Time of year - Is there a specific time of year when prices of bikes go down? I live in NJ and during the winter I assume no one rides on the roads - does that imply bike prices will be lower.

3. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the Somerset, NJ vicinity?

Thank you.
Fall is better than the middle of the season as last years models are usually being sold off cheap.

I like Campy equipped bikes much better than Shimano, personal thing. But Shimano is cheaper and much easier to find parts for and get serviced. Every mechanic can work on Shimano. The last post that said buy a bike for a $1,000 was right on. A grand buys a very capable bike for your hard earned dollars. $1200 $1500 can usually buy you a nice Ultegra bike, more than most guys really need, IMO. $3000 will buy you a nice Dura Ace or Chorus bike, maybe a little more for a Chorus bike, but worth it. Good luck.

Tim
Old 08-16-05, 09:54 AM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njgino
The advice given to me was if I know you will be riding a lot (and I know I will) , might as well spend for an intermmediate bike, instead of going entry-level, getting upgrades later on and such, which could end up costing more than going straight to an intermmediate.

OK, Shimano 105. What about type of frame? What kind do you suggest I start with?
The Trek Madone is a fairly high-end bike, not an intermediate. The component list goes like this, from worst to best: Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace. So a 105 equipped bike is considered solid intermediate and race-ready. The money you'll save by buying intermediate is better spent on good clothes, a top-end saddle, and good tires. That's my 2 cents.

As for the bike, all the aluminum frames from the big name manufacturers are pretty similar. Often it comes down to how you feel on the bike, does it fit, does it feel responsive.

Finally, and do not underestimate this, you must be physically attracted to the bike. Because if you don't like the way it looks (geometry, color), you'll never truly love it.
Old 08-16-05, 09:58 AM
garysol1 

Oh yea.....one more word of advice. Purchase from a local bike shop where you like and trust the people. You WILL have questions and the support they can provide will be invaluable. You will also need to reley on them on getting you the correct size.
Old 08-16-05, 10:11 AM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i second all the good advice you're getting here...
Old 08-16-05, 02:47 PM
SaddleBags
Just Peddlin' Along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are tons of options for the $1000-$1500 range with Ultegra mix and a decent frame. If your budget is $2-3k, then drop around $1500 in a bike then the rest on pedals ($100-200), shoes ($75-200), clothes (at least a few jerseys and shorts for the sake of the folks behind you in the paceline), cyclocomputer ($25-150+), car racks, tools, etc. That $3k will go fast.

Check out Felt, Giant, Fuji at your LBS for the ones that provide the best fit. They all have comparable bikes in the mid 1000's.

But most important, post pics of your new ride!
Old 08-16-05, 03:40 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
He points out to look for carbon frame/shimano ultegra or dura ace combination.
Find someone else. Pure garbage.
Old 08-16-05, 04:17 PM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get one that fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Most important step...Good Luck..
Old 08-16-05, 04:29 PM
vhb4302

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Cervelo Soloist ( Alu) this year as my upgradeable bike. The bike lists for $1999 with Campy Centuar and Easton wheels. This frame was used by the CSC Team in 2005 but the componenets were higher performance: I plan on upgrading the frame over the next 2 years. You can enjoy a comforatble high performance frame immediately and upgrade knowing the frame is worth the investment. Eventually, I will sell the frame and buy the new Carbon version.
Old 08-16-05, 05:09 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you know that it won't become a clothes hanger in 6 months, get a bike that you'll be happy with for a long time, upgrading it later will cost you more. If you can afford it, get the $2000-3000 bike.

Go into your local bike shops and get something that fits well, feels good and looks attractive to you. Also research if you want a double, triple, or compact double; swapping this later isn't cheap.
Old 08-16-05, 05:46 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lemond Tourmalet comes with good components and can be had for $1K. It's aluminum. If you want to be comfortable riding longer distances, a steel frame may be a better choice. I just bought a great steel Viner on-line with full Ultegra (and some DA) for $1,500. You can get a great bike for under $1,500 - you don't need to spend anymore than that.
Old 08-16-05, 06:18 PM
Geo_NJ

Bikes: K2 MTB; Iron Horse Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On subject of bike store, I have heard very positive things about this shop down the shore.
https://www.briellecyclery.com/