Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help with Schwinn Sport please

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need help with Schwinn Sport please

Old 06-06-03, 11:28 AM
Bigtime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with Schwinn Sprint please

Hello,
A local garage sale in my area has a Schwinn Sprint 10 speed for sale. They are asking 75 dollars for it. I don't know the exact age of this bike but it looks like it's been around at least 10 years, maybe more. Don't know if this would really be considered a "classic" but you guys/girls seem to have forgotten more about bikes than I will ever know so I thought I would post my question here. My question is, is this a fair price for a bike like this? Any info on this model (frame type, durability, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
-BT

Last edited by Bigtime; 06-06-03 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-07-03, 06:34 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my humble opinion, a Schwinn Sport is not yet a classic. I believe they are made-in-Taiwan, which excludes them from anything I would ever consider collecting.

$75.00 is a lot of money. I just sold a 1973 Varsity in immaculate condition - and I mean immaculate - for $25.00 at a garage sale yesterday.
Old 06-07-03, 02:38 PM
Bigtime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike,
The title of my post says "Sport", would it should say is "Sprint". Does that make any difference in your opinion?
Old 06-07-03, 07:12 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Sprint could make a difference if it looks like this bike (that I'll try to describe):

The older Sprint is essentially a Varsity 10 speed but the seattube is curved. Otherwise, like I said, it's a Varsity with the 1 piece crank and big stem shifters. However, that curved settube was only around for a few years in the mid70s (I think) and they have some collectability. $75 for a clean one might be a decent price.

Otherwise I agree with Mike $75 is good money for a Taiwan Schwinn. Of course if it fits and you ride it and love it, it's not poorly spent money.

If it's the Sprint I described try to get some pics. I like that bike.
Old 06-08-03, 03:09 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like Walt says, Schwinn had a couple models of Sprint. The latest one was made-in-Taiwan in the early 1990's. I believe it was a twelve-speed.

It has the makings of a reasonably good bike, but my experience with them was not good. I had a 90's vintage Sprint and almost every part failed from the aluminum crank stripping out to the derailure going to hell. I was disappointed with my Sprint and have never been impressed with Taiwanese quality.

Look it over for markings concerning where it was made. Check the serial number and see if it makes sense with any of the made-in-USA date codes.

What are you looking for in a bike? Contact me and I will see if I have anything that would delight you. I am in the process of moving and would be happy to lighten the load.
Old 06-08-03, 04:51 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bigtime
Hello,
A local garage sale in my area has a Schwinn Sprint 10 speed for sale. They are asking 75 dollars for it. I don't know the exact age of this bike but it looks like it's been around at least 10 years, maybe more. Don't know if this would really be considered a "classic" but you guys/girls seem to have forgotten more about bikes than I will ever know so I thought I would post my question here. My question is, is this a fair price for a bike like this? Any info on this model (frame type, durability, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
-BT

Indeed, what are you looking for in a bike?
If you need one to make a reliable machine that you are willing to ACTUALLY RIDE, then all you would need to make sure is wether the bike is in decent condition and wether it fits you ot not.

If you are thinking about purchasing a bike for
$75, counting on its "collectors" value - it's a very different matter.
Old 06-08-03, 05:50 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Inoplanetyanin
Indeed, what are you looking for in a bike?
If you need one to make a reliable machine that you are willing to ACTUALLY RIDE, then all you would need to make sure is wether the bike is in decent condition and wether it fits you ot not.

If you are thinking about purchasing a bike for
$75, counting on its "collectors" value - it's a very different matter.
Actually. I think it is possible to do both; get a reliable machine that is functional AND a collectible.

1) Vintage Road Bikes : There are a number of 60's and 70's Vintage ten-speed road bikes that are available today for $75.00 with a bit of hunting. These include upscale European imports as well as some home-grown machines. The European imports worth getting are too numerous to mention. If you want some USA bicycle heritage, of course, vintage Schwinn Continentals and Varsitys are starting to become collectible - especially some of the early models from the 1960's. A 1976 bicentennial Varsity is worth collecting and riding.

2) British "Racer" three-speeds : There are still a number of 1950's, 1960's, and early 1970's Raleigh, Humber, and Hercules three speeds to be had for $75 or less. They almost always have the "art-in-machine" quality Sturmey-Archer three-speed hubs. These are such beautifully made machines, so reliable, and so dreamy on the road. It is a wonder that they do not carry more collectible value. I believe that they will one day be very collectible. In the meantime, you can get them cheap and ride them care-free.

3) 1960's Space-age Middleweights: Now, it is getting a lot harder to find these, but you can SOMETIMES find a Murray Sonic Flite, Cosmic Flite, etc (including those sold by Sears such as the Spaceliner, etcetera) at garage sales by unknowing grandmothers. These are single-speed, of course, but they are really cool.

4) Schwinn Collegiate Three-Speed: These are gaining collector value and can still be found at garage sales. They ride like a Cadillac; smooth as silk.
Old 06-14-03, 10:05 AM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What can you all tell me about this Schwinn Collegiate? It has and internal Shimano 3spd and the crank is Sugino? This bike rides GREAT, heavy but smooth as silk. I just picked it up for free. Looks like in its hey day it was only ridden 3 miles and then garaged.
Old 06-14-03, 12:48 PM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put 5-6 miles on this thing today and it runs great! Even though it has a step through frame (and I'm a male) I think I've found my "grocery getter"
Old 07-20-04, 01:57 PM
jfz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this same bike, also given to me. I use it for commuting in wet weather because it has fenders and a coaster brake. I only wish it was a boys frame which would make it stronger, the tire rubs when I climb hills due to the frame flexing.
Old 07-21-04, 03:18 AM
meatwad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<<
Originally Posted by MKRG
What can you all tell me about this Schwinn Collegiate? It has and internal Shimano 3spd and the crank is Sugino? This bike rides GREAT, heavy but smooth as silk. I just picked it up for free. Looks like in its hey day it was only ridden 3 miles and then garaged.
>>

Seeing that model is a bit upsetting. I just went to quite a bit of trouble turning my letour IV ( the one year the frames were truely made in chicago out of gas pipe) into a retro clubman. thought I would have something unique but it looks basically like yours but with drop bars and a mens version. Same color even.

Leave it to me to go to a lot of trouble down gradeing an entry level bike.

You could make the same mistake I did with it.

Put the wheelset and cranks on a bike boom mens model . The bike won't look much different than a fixed gear to those who don't know or care about the difference but those who do know the difference .... will not respect you for it.

I'll tell you this much though . Its a blast to ride with 3 gears. Until I can convince someone else of that I'm just going to tell myself that Im on the cutting edge of the "next big thing". Fixed gear is sooo 00s.
Old 07-23-04, 02:29 AM
Pessi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you saying they want $75 in US dollars? Is not worth even half that amount.
Old 07-23-04, 04:43 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
I agree on the Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed recommendation. I found one at a thrift store for $10.00 & bought it just because every other Collegiate I ever saw was a 10 speed. Someone had altered it by adding a set of chrome drop bars & levers to fit but otherwise it was flawless. I rode that "Green Machine" on my work commute for a while & found it very comfortable & quite fast for such a hevy bike. Eventually gave it to my Grand kids & those boys haven't been able to break it yet!
Old 07-27-04, 12:22 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I saw the topic I thought you may have meant a Super Sport. If you see a 60s or early 70s Schwinn Super Sport, grab it quickly . They have very nice hand welded chromoly frames(made in Chicago).
Old 07-27-04, 01:26 PM
shwaxinator

Bikes: '03 specialized rockhopper disc, world traveler soon to be fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a '73 super sport I think I could snag it for around 75-100.

It says it comes with a CHROME MOLYBUENUM frame? I assume this means the same as chromoly.

On another note, are road bike sizes measured the same as current mountain bike sizing - the ad says that this is 66cm from the center of where the crank would be to the top tube. How do you translate this to a comparable inch size.

sorry if that is a dumb question.

shwaxinator.