Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1986 trivia photos

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1986 trivia photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 04:42 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
1986 trivia photos

No winners here. Just scanned some old pictures.

Hint: He won a pro race in Penn. this year at age 51:

The old Campy support station wagon

The Centurion's women's team on the USCF National Championship in Nutley NJ.

I don't know who this guy is but lots of notables to come out from the GS Mengioni team. I think big George H. rode the year for them after this photo was taken:

This next one will be hard unless you are a track rider. I bought his stocker partner's Gios back in the 80's.

This one should be easy. Also on the USCF National Championship in Nutley.

And her bike:
Old 12-28-08, 05:25 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Brings back memories of the week I spent following the Coors Classic in 1986. Is that Madonna Harris or Marianne Berglund on the right in the Centurion team photo? I can't tell, just the blond hair.
Old 12-28-08, 05:31 PM
sounddevisor

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last one is Rebecca Twigg, right?
Old 12-28-08, 05:38 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Point
Brings back memories of the week I spent following the Coors Classic in 1986.
Ha ha, I did the same thing. Watched some of the California stages then drove to Colorado for the last week, camped in my truck. Oh to be young and unemployed.
Is that Madonna Harris or Marianne Berglund on the right in the Centurion team photo? I can't tell, just the blond hair.
Short, no chest, blonder than blonde: it's got to be Marianne.
Old 12-28-08, 06:14 PM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Alan McCormack up the top. A bloke I know who used to come to the states to race in the pros reckoned he was a real character. Leonard Harvey Nitz is the trackie.

Marianne Burgland and Rebecca Twigg. Yummy. Fast too!
Old 12-28-08, 06:15 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Alan McCormack! One of my favorites!
And I think that's Paul in the next shot.

Leonard Nitz! Too easy!

Twiggy!

I'm trying to figure out who the Mengoni rider is. I'll sent it to my people.
Old 12-28-08, 06:16 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I don't think either of those Centurion girls are Berglund. I'll send it to my peoples for verification.
Old 12-28-08, 06:55 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
The hair looks like Berglund.

Old 12-28-08, 07:55 PM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The hair looks like Berglund.
+1. Tiny bike, no socks, tanned. It's her imo.
Old 12-28-08, 08:19 PM
bode61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! talk about bringing back memories. I have to pull out my old pics from storage now. Alan and his brother were my roommates when they first moved to Boulder. I forgot just how young he looked back then. Thanks for the memories in posting these pics.
Old 12-28-08, 08:43 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow!!!!!
You guys are good!!!
Yes, Alan
Yes, Nitz
Yes, Twigg
Yes, Burgland. She won that race (1986 USCF National Championships, beat out Twiggy)

This guy here, a lot more obscure unless you are from NYC/NYS. He was New York State champ.

...and last, I wonder how neutral bikes today deal with the countless types of pedals? I always wanted to flat on a race and the Specialized station wagon come by and lend me one of those Allez. I'd just ride all the way home with it!

Yah, I wonder who the Mengioni guy is. I'm pretty sure Big George rode the year later. My old teammate Mike McCarthy was I think in Europe in that year so wasn't in the race.

Coors classic. I was there to watch that year at Estes Park. I watched Lemond and Hinault fly up the big hill on HUGE gears. No woosies at that time with low gearing and 95-100 RPM cadence.
Old 12-28-08, 08:50 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bode61
Wow! talk about bringing back memories. I have to pull out my old pics from storage now. Alan and his brother were my roommates when they first moved to Boulder. I forgot just how young he looked back then. Thanks for the memories in posting these pics.
We were all young looking back then
He was a bad ***** sprinter!

I read that Raul Alcala is going to race again in '09.

Oh, a friend of mine from NYC is winning the 70+ track races!! 70 freaking +!!!
Old 12-28-08, 08:57 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
Wow!!!!!

Coors classic. I was there to watch that year at Estes Park. I watched Lemond and Hinault fly up the big hill on HUGE gears. No woosies at that time with low gearing and 95-100 RPM cadence.
Estes Park in the rain that year...........Watched Hinault throw his bike into an open field on the climb, get on his spare and catch the field.

The women's race had Inge Thompson chasing down Jeannie Longo over the last 10 laps or so.
Old 12-28-08, 09:02 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mmmmm Marianne Berglund.

Back when Miji Reoch was still around (RIP) she'd host training camps in Dallas and some top-notch femail talent would come in. I have fond memories of "sitting in" on a few of those rides.

- yes, I meant "female talent" in both senses of meaning, you perv.
Old 12-28-08, 09:07 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Estes Park in the rain that year...........Watched Hinault throw his bike into an open field on the climb, get on his spare and catch the field.
You have good memory! Yes it was raining. I'm looking at the slides right now and weird, bizarre, I have NO pix of Hinualt or Lemond!

The women's race had Inge Thompson chasing down Jeannie Longo over the last 10 laps or so.
Longo is still going and going and going .....just like Alan.
Old 12-28-08, 09:15 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here ya go. I think it is '83-'84 or so. Tour of Texas, Dallas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 12-28-08, 09:25 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Awesome!

I love young guys today thinking that with their $8,000 rigs, they can go faster than these guys back then.
Cyclist will never learn.....its all (well mostly, cause I love Brifters in Crits) in the engine.
Old 12-29-08, 06:47 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
heh those are great pics.

I think the Crit Champs at Nutley were 1983, at least they held them there in 1983. I think Marianne Berglund won, Connie Carpenter and Rebecca Twigg didn't win (I just remember being disappointed for that). Roy Knickman for the Juniors 15-17. Did Nitz win for Seniors?

The Chem bank guy must be Glenn Swann. Chem Bank was a killer team back then, I even ran into a former rider 10 years later in Belgium - his Chem Bank jersey had become his "anonymous" jersey there.

Paul and Alan McCormack - when they started racing the officials still checked bikes before the race. Since they were pretty poor, Alan (who rides a 50 cm or so) used Paul's bike (56 or so) to get his official "bike inspected" sticker/stamp/whatever because Paul had the only bike that would pass. Apparently the officials didn't check bike sizes as much as they did the bike's functionality. heh.

Great pics, got more?

cdr
Old 12-29-08, 08:32 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yah whatever happened to bike inspections?

I remember one official who was notorious for doing his best to peel off correctly installed, pumped up tubulars. And another who told me that my brakes needed adjusting b/c they weren't exactly a millimeter off the rims.
Old 12-29-08, 08:57 AM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I think the Crit Champs at Nutley were 1983, at least they held them there in 1983. I think Marianne Berglund won, Connie Carpenter and Rebecca Twigg didn't win (I just remember being disappointed for that). Roy Knickman for the Juniors 15-17. Did Nitz win for Seniors?
Now you got me thinking. I'm PRETTY sure it was 1986. I don't have the dates written on the slide mounts. It was the year Berglund won. The solo pix of her on this thread is the podium picture. I remember Roy, we were Jr's together. But I didn't do the Nationals then. I think Nitz did win.

The Chem bank guy must be Glenn Swann. Chem Bank was a killer team back then, I even ran into a former rider 10 years later in Belgium - his Chem Bank jersey had become his "anonymous" jersey there.
No, sorry. That was ringer. But you jarred some memories. I remember Glenn as well! That's Tom Donohue. He was a good buddy of mine.
Paul and Alan McCormack - when they started racing the officials still checked bikes before the race. Since they were pretty poor, Alan (who rides a 50 cm or so) used Paul's bike (56 or so) to get his official "bike inspected" sticker/stamp/whatever because Paul had the only bike that would pass. Apparently the officials didn't check bike sizes as much as they did the bike's functionality. heh.
Haha, I heard so many good McCormack brother stories. They must be great to hang out in a bar.
I had a couple of incidents with inspectors. One for a loose stem and one for a missing bar plug.
Great pics, got more?
Sady, not that much. I was on the bike most of the time.
But what inspired me was these. I remember them like yesterday. Great pix of t-bah and Tommy D, Eric Zaltas, Hewitt Thayer and many many more that you will remember.
https://www.centerportcycles.com/page...rapbook04.html

So GS Mengioni guy is mystery?
cdr[/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-08, 08:36 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Wow Eric Zaltas. I had a lot of friends who knew him but I never met him personally.

Mengoni guy is a mystery although a lot of names will ring a bell if I hear them. I wasn't good enough to do anything to them - my biggest goal as a Junior was to make strong riders respond to my attacks. So therefore I only knew them as "really tall white guys". Because, compared to me, everyone was tall, and they tended to be white back then. Steve Bauer, Greg Lemond, Matt Eaton, errr more of them... then Mike McCarthy, George Hincapie, Charlie Issendorf, that generation, then the more diverse generation like Wilson Vasquez (ruled the roost for a long time), and now Pollo (I don't remember his real name) is their main sprinter now.

Doug Tanner (married to ex World Champ Jan Bolland, and they own a shop) and Doug Day are in the area, I think they rode for Cannondale/Skidlid back in the day. Or it's Doug Day married to Jan, Doug Tanner in the area, I always forget who is who. Chuck Lawrence, he rode for Cdale/SL, I don't know where he is but the Doug/Jan Doug said he heard from Chuck recently.

I'm pretty sure the Nutley pics are the 1983 Crit nats, unless they held them in 1986 too. I should remember, it was the first race I went to. Happened to be about the time the first issue of Winning Magazine came out too, which I devoured in the team van on the drive down (from CT) and back.

Knickman rolled his tire in the sprint, unbelievable that he could keep it upright. Craig Schommer (sp?) beat him but got DQ'ed for using a 53x12 (as opposed to the 53x15 limit). 2 man break, I have no idea who got 3rd. Apparently Schommer flatted before the race and put his "Worlds" wheels on, or at least that was the excuse circulated around later.

I have somewhere a pic of a familiar looking LS skinsuit that I used to wear a lot. I should find it...

Okay found it, attached it (7-Eleven Trek skinsuit). One of our reps offered it to us for $50. I took it since it didn't fit my boss. Rode in it in all my "time trials" (real or imagined) as well as the cooler weather SUNY Purchase sprints (laps on a 2 mile loop). Someone (a Cat 2 type guy) made fun of me, pointing out that it was a women's jersey (which, now that I think of it, is sort of a legit comment). I got really mad so I made sure I rode up to him in the middle of the next sprint, coasted for a good 2 or 3 seconds while I looked at him flailing away, and then jumped away from him and won the sprint. The guy never made the left to do the next lap

Although it's a little embarrassing to point out, I do have the Merlin poster of Twigg, professionally framed, hanging near the bike room. I've preciously moved it from the shop (10+ years ago, when I received it as a gift from a customer), to my old house, the apartment, and now the new house. She looks like she grew into herself in that pic, as opposed to the "16 year old wunderkid" pics when she went to the OTC.

When I fell in my most spectacular crash ever I was wearing it under all my gear.

Looking at these pics and getting all hyper about them, I guess I'm an old timer. I started realizing this when I saw the indifference people felt towards Joe Parkin's book. I thought of why this might be, tried to put myself in the indifferent crowd, and realized that I really don't give a hoot about, say, 1930's racing. Just can't relate to it.

Ah well, I love these pictures and stuff.

cdr

*edit* I just started reading more scrapbook pages and of course on Page 5 there's the whole team in the Hincapie/Issendorf days. ha. I have that jersey too, but I gave it away I think. TriSpokes. Charlie used them religiously, won some races solo on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0851.jpg (96.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by carpediemracing; 12-29-08 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 10:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Raleigh Team Pro in the first shot...

-Kurt

Old 12-29-08, 11:10 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Mike McCarthy,
I always tried to get them to check his gearing cause I swear he wasn't using a 52/15 high. BTW, I'm hoping he's doing better. Just watched a Youtube vid of him and he's back to racing after heart surgery.
I'm pretty sure the Nutley pics are the 1983 Crit nats, unless they held them in 1986 too.
Well, if two people say it was 83, then I'm guessing it was! I guess I'm older than I think!
Old 12-29-08, 11:23 PM
nogearCX
Long Lever

Bikes: Looking for my next rig. :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 2.
Old 12-30-08, 12:22 AM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

How did I miss this thread all afternoon. Some very cool shots here. A couple of adds from me:
  • I got to meet Harvey Nitz because he was married(?) for a time to my friend Leslie Moore. I was kind of star struck when I first met him. Seems a bit silly now.
  • I always like Rebecca Twigg for a number of reasons. She was racing with the men in a stage race in Anza Borrego one year. I ended up in a group with her on one stage and was thrilled to be riding with her. I never could figure out why she married Mark Whitehead but as many suspected, it didn't last.
  • The Centurion rider has got to be Marianne Berglund. I saw her a lot in SoCal during the 1980s.
  • On the link (https://www.centerportcycles.com/page...rapbook01.html), page 1 shows Vito Perucci who ran the first club I joined, Nassau Wheelmen. The last time I saw Vito was 1989 at the Masters National Championships for the criterium in Wantaugh.
  • Page 2 (https://www.centerportcycles.com/page...rapbook02.html) shows Mark Lobit and Jim Lehane. I knew Mark from racing but we were never friends. However, Jim was a good friends for a few years. He was supposed to go with me to my last race on the east coast before I went to SoCal (Stowe RR). Jim's car broke down on his way to my house so my brother ended up going with me instead.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.