Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shoes & cleats, spd, spd-sl, I'm confused

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 11:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I've been using a set of Shimano SH-MT31 MTB shoes.

I'm now riding about 40 to 100 miles per ride for fitness and I'm incurring some substantual metatarsal pain on longer rides. So, I need better shoes and want to use a lighter road style shoe with a stiff sole. I will also be using these shoes for a few century rides.

I have found a pair of Shimano SH-R 160g road shoes. These are a 3 hole pattern, the Shimano website states they are for SPD-SL pedals.

Will I be able to install my SPD cleats and use my SPD pedals with these shoes? Or, will I need to change to SPD-SL pedals?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-28-09, 12:28 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The R160's afaik won't take 2 bolt spd's.
Old 05-28-09, 12:32 PM
merlin55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano stopped making road pedals that used the little 2 bolt metal road cleat years ago (similar, but different from the ATB cleat), hence few current road shoes support 2 bolt SPD cleat pattern
Old 05-28-09, 12:33 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If they are 3 hole, SPDs won't work. There are plenty of road shoes available that will work with SPDs if you want to go with different shoes. If the shoes are a done deal, you can go SPD-SL, Look and I beleive there are others as well.
Old 05-28-09, 02:50 PM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I aim for 20-40 miles per ride, and I would have to say, go with SPD. Generally the shoes have a recessed cleat so that you can still walk on them. Also, my cleats are adjustable from the front of the toe all the way back to the end of ball of the foot.

If you don't need to walk in them, then go with whatever, but if you are planning on a few century rides, you may need to bring a second pair of shoes for getting off the bike and walking around/taking breaks.

My SPD shoes aren't that light, but they are uber-stiff and light enough that I wouldn't complain about them.

Also, the pain may be coming from improperly adjusted cleats. I was getting tons of numbing and soreness in my legs until I moved my cleats closer to the center of the shoe.
Old 05-28-09, 03:07 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought SIDI mega mountain shoes this spring. They are fantastic - super stiff and half the weight of my previous Cannondale MTB shoes. They take the 2 bolt SPD cleats and have raised sections either side so you can walk in them (not so good for walking as the Cannondales). If you have normal width feet SIDI have similar models at much better prices.
Old 05-28-09, 04:01 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by johnknappcc
If you don't need to walk in them, then go with whatever, but if you are planning on a few century rides, you may need to bring a second pair of shoes for getting off the bike and walking around/taking breaks.
What, you plan on running marathons during your breaks?

SPD-SL's are fine to walk on due to the rubber tips on the contact points. Fine enough for getting off the bike and walking short distances for food etc.
Old 05-28-09, 05:10 PM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator

SPD-SL's are fine to walk on due to the rubber tips on the contact points. Fine enough for getting off the bike and walking short distances for food etc.
Wait, you don't run marathon's on your breaks? Pretty weak if you ask me . . .

The SPD-SL shoes that I've seen don't have rubber contact points and the cleat extends out at least a few mm, enough that walking is a little annoying. Just saying, there is a good amount of light, extra-stiff SPD shoes, that make it easy to say walk into a bike shop or a deli or something.
Old 05-28-09, 05:49 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts

Having ridden and walked in Look cleats for a couple of years I can attest that they are MISERABLE for walking even short distances, even with the rubber cleat covers. Sincle SPD-SL cleats are pretty much Look-pattern, they are likely no better.

When I switched to recessed shoes and cleats (Speedplay Frogs in my case) the difference in comfort and stability was dramatic. Even putting a foot down at stoplights was better.
Old 05-28-09, 07:25 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by HillRider
Having ridden and walked in Look cleats for a couple of years I can attest that they are MISERABLE for walking even short distances, even with the rubber cleat covers. Sincle SPD-SL cleats are pretty much Look-pattern, they are likely no better.

When I switched to recessed shoes and cleats (Speedplay Frogs in my case) the difference in comfort and stability was dramatic. Even putting a foot down at stoplights was better.
I've used both systems. Bare look cleats, look cleats with kool kovers and SPD-SL's with no covers. The latter I can jog with if I really wanted to. Very uncomfortably of course.

The new Look keo cleats don't come in a spd-sl knock off "grip" version for nothing. About freaking time.
Old 05-28-09, 07:26 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by johnknappcc
Wait, you don't run marathon's on your breaks? Pretty weak if you ask me . . .

The SPD-SL shoes that I've seen don't have rubber contact points and the cleat extends out at least a few mm, enough that walking is a little annoying. Just saying, there is a good amount of light, extra-stiff SPD shoes, that make it easy to say walk into a bike shop or a deli or something.
A good light, stiff road shoe with no float SPD-SL's are as close to mega-efficiency as you're ever going to get on a bike. Anyone who's never tried this combo is really, really missing out. Hell i'll give you my old pd-5600's just so you can see what i'm talking about.
Old 05-28-09, 09:10 PM
johnknappcc

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
A good light, stiff road shoe with no float SPD-SL's are as close to mega-efficiency as you're ever going to get on a bike. Anyone who's never tried this combo is really, really missing out. Hell i'll give you my old pd-5600's just so you can see what i'm talking about.
How much you want for them, you can send them to my in-laws house in Windsor, ON.
Old 05-29-09, 10:36 AM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of off the topic..but something to consider.
3 hole = spd-sl
These come in yellow (with float) and red (no float). Some folks dont like the red fixed feel as it screws up their knees???

2 hole = spd

Are the Shimano SH-R 160g road shoes the only shoes you are looking at? I think there might be some others out there that might come with both hole patterns. I have some pearl izumi road shoes that had both... maybe they were old school?? Do you like your current pedals?
Old 05-29-09, 07:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A good light, stiff road shoe with no float SPD-SL's are as close to mega-efficiency as you're ever going to get on a bike.
They are also a good recipe for knee problems for many riders. It's not for nothing that floating cleats and pedal systems dominate the market. Fixed cleats do work for some riders if they are perfectly aligned but, even at that, many can't tolerate them.

I've never seen any data to support the idea that fixed cleats are more efficient than floating ones.
Old 05-29-09, 07:55 PM
operator
cab horn

They are also a good recipe for knee problems for many riders. It's not for nothing that floating cleats and pedal systems dominate the market. Fixed cleats do work for some riders if they are perfectly aligned but, even at that, many can't tolerate them.

I've never seen any data to support the idea that fixed cleats are more efficient than floating ones.
You don't need data.

It's obvious that it is. It's entirely unfortunate that people are forced into using float instead of finding the perfect fit. THAT is why float is so popular. Not because it's the "right thing". It's because it's the easy thing to do.

I mean, people with knee problems, fine use float. But if you can do it, take the extra effort to try and use fixed cleats. You are never really experiencing clipless to it's full potential with skating rink cleats with float. The psychological advantage alone would be enough to run them, even if they don't actually increase efficiency (which I think it does).

I don't have any studies or data to back this up, but as someone who's switched from mega float looks to zero float spd-sl's. It was like switching intiially switching from platforms to clipless. That's how big a difference it is. Try it. Every single ounce of movement is transferred to the pedal instead of wasted in lateral movement of the cleat.
Old 05-29-09, 08:09 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That's correct. There is no data because they aren't any more efficient, and the idea that they are is ridiculous. All they do is stress the joints of people who don't have legs that move on a perfect 2-dimensional plane. My Speedplays have improved my health and my pedalling technique.
But then again, some people are more perfect than others and don't need that kind of thing.

And to the OP: If you're having metatarsal pain, why buy the same brand of shoes again? I suggest trying something different so you won't be stuck with the same fit.

Last edited by Torchy McFlux; 05-29-09 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 08:12 PM
ronsmithjunior

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm now riding about 40 to 100 miles per ride for fitness and I'm incurring some substantual metatarsal pain on longer rides. So, I need better shoes and want to use a lighter road style shoe with a stiff sole. I will also be using these shoes for a few century rides.
Not that you asked, but have you tried addressing your problems with inserts or insoles? A metatarsal cookie can help to spread the joints. Also an insole with a higher arch can take the pressure off of the entire front of the foot. In 2007 I had some terrible hot foot due to the metatarsals rubbing together, and due to pressure on the ball of the foot. I solved it by using a green Superfeet insole (high arch) and a low metatarsal cookie. Switching shoes wouldn't have helped at all.

Anyway, that was my experience.
Old 05-29-09, 08:37 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
That's correct. There is no data because they aren't any more efficient, and the idea that they are is ridiculous. All they do is stress the joints of people who don't have legs that move on a perfect 2-dimensional plane. My Speedplays have improved my health and my pedalling technique.
But then again, some people are more perfect than others and don't need that kind of thing.

And to the OP: If you're having metatarsal pain, why buy the same brand of shoes again? I suggest trying something different so you won't be stuck with the same fit.

Please go away before you inundate this forum with any more bad advice. There's enough of you people on here already.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 05-29-09 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 09:45 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please go away before you inundate this forum with any more bad advice. There's enough of you people on here already.
Thank you for your opinion, but no. I think the whole point of a message board is to communicate and collaborate. There's rarely only one correct answer to a question or problem, and the bringing together of different points of view - even if they're conflicting - gives a more complete one than the asker would usually get from a single source. I think it's very unfortunate when some fail to respect the ideas and experience of others, and only bring their emotional baggage to the table rather than something thoughtful or productive. It's a shame the value of replies aren't measured on those terms more often. Or maybe they are?